What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty rookie drafts (1 Viewer)

I play in one IDP league of 20 teams. I believe scoring matters. Stats for DLs, LBs, DBs are all score differently. Here is the final season top scorers.

RB 8 in top 20 (6 of top10) Start 1

QB 5 in top 20 Start 1

WR 1 in top 20 Start 2

LB 6 in top 20 (2 of top10) Start 2

1st DB 26th (S) Start 2 DBs

1sr CB 27th

1st DL 46th (DE) Start 2 DL

1st TE 81st Start 1

O. Thurman was the highest scoring rookie in the league.

I've got the 1.11 pick... and have been trying to figure out the top12 picks for a while also... I'm just trying to figure out why '12 teams / 1QB start' leagues are showing Leinart, Young in the top8 along with Cutler, top12...

Isn't everyone in those type of leagues having a QB crew on their roster looking like Palmer, Delhomme, Rivers, Schaub?... why the urge for Cutler with the 1.11 when you could grab one of Davis/Moss/Calhoun/Drew/Norwood (the one still there)?...

I'm not dissing anyone posting QBs in the top12 - I'm just trying to figure out why go this way?...

I'm certain a valid point would be "Cutler might be the next Favre" and you want to hold on to him in case that happens...

but what is the trade value of Alex Smith [DYNASTY] wise right now? Especially when the other guy might have Brady, EManning and Leftwich on board...

Not many QBs get picked in the first 12 spots in the [DYNASTY] leagues I'm playing in... EManning went 2.05 - Rothliesberger 2.09... and having only Palmer on board, I'm second-guessing myself to look at Leinart or Cutler (since I only have the 2.12 after that) with the 1.11...

Please, enlighten me...

Jayman my dynasty leagues (and i'm in 5 of them) are the EXACT same way. The last 3 years, i've seen MAYBE 1 QB go at the very end of round one. Its almost always 4 or 5 RBs in the first 6 picks. Several WRs, and maybe a top rated TE in the first round.

Jayman my dynasty leagues (and i'm in 5 of them) are the EXACT same way. The last 3 years, i've seen MAYBE 1 QB go at the very end of round one. Its almost always 4 or 5 RBs in the first 6 picks. Several WRs, and maybe a top rated TE in the first round.
No true stud Wrs this year. Take out five RBs and one other player like V. Davis or Jackson then you are looking at QBs at #7

I've got the 1.11 pick... and have been trying to figure out the top12 picks for a while also... I'm just trying to figure out why '12 teams / 1QB start' leagues are showing Leinart, Young in the top8 along with Cutler, top12...

Isn't everyone in those type of leagues having a QB crew on their roster looking like Palmer, Delhomme, Rivers, Schaub?... why the urge for Cutler with the 1.11 when you could grab one of Davis/Moss/Calhoun/Drew/Norwood (the one still there)?...

I'm not dissing anyone posting QBs in the top12 - I'm just trying to figure out why go this way?...

I'm certain a valid point would be "Cutler might be the next Favre" and you want to hold on to him in case that happens...

but what is the trade value of Alex Smith [DYNASTY] wise right now? Especially when the other guy might have Brady, EManning and Leftwich on board...

Not many QBs get picked in the first 12 spots in the [DYNASTY] leagues I'm playing in... EManning went 2.05 - Rothliesberger 2.09... and having only Palmer on board, I'm second-guessing myself to look at Leinart or Cutler (since I only have the 2.12 after that) with the 1.11...

Please, enlighten me...
Alot depends on when the draft is held. QBs get so much press around NFL draft time. I saw Aaron Rodgers go in the top 3 last year as Favre is old, the guy loved him in college, figured he'd play real soon. It's not that crazy yet later in the summer it's an awful pick.The other thing is that no one has seen these guys play in the NFL. There's some dope bragging how he's had Peyton, Favre, Brady (or whomever) since they were a rook. The kid with a golden arm is available and....America loves a QB.

I'm just guessing. I always trade away my picks in dynasty, you guys love rookies too much for my liking. I'd rather trade a pick for someone with a year under his belt or a "too old" vet and for whatever reason they're always available in trade.

Please, enlighten me...
The reason is, many owners are tired of all the running back failure that comes with mid-late first round running backs, say after 1.5. In the last four years you have Portis, LJ(but you had to wait 2 years), Willis, Cadillac, Jackson, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Ronnie Brown, Tatum Bell and Cedric Benson, and maybe Frank Gore as either being successful or looking talented. Then there is Foster and Duckett who have have been usesful.After that, not a whole lot out there after 1.5. Domanick Davis has been very good, Brian Westbrook has been good, Chris Brown has be adequate. Melwede Moore did a bit in some light duty as has Greg Jones and Marion Barber. However, off the top of my head, mid-late round 1 has also included people like Maurice Morris, Jonathon Wells, Cedric Cobb, Maurice Clarett, Eric Shelton, etc.

So when you are sitting there and looking at Cedric Cobb or Carson Palmer, is your decision is just -"Take the running back, always take the rb"- then I think that is silly. I think what you have to do is say "What is the player's upside and risk?" The downside with rookies is always bust. Also, I have a diffferent view about dynasty. I don't subscribe to drating as close to average draft position as possible. There are a lot of good owners in my league, who if they like a player, will move ahead of someone to get them. I think that if you like a player a lot, and feel that there is a reasonable chance he will be gone before you draft again, you take them.

Please, enlighten me...
The reason is, many owners are tired of all the running back failure that comes with mid-late first round running backs, say after 1.5. In the last four years you have Portis, LJ(but you had to wait 2 years), Willis, Cadillac, Jackson, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Ronnie Brown, Tatum Bell and Cedric Benson, and maybe Frank Gore as either being successful or looking talented. Then there is Foster and Duckett who have have been usesful.After that, not a whole lot out there after 1.5. Domanick Davis has been very good, Brian Westbrook has been good, Chris Brown has be adequate. Melwede Moore did a bit in some light duty as has Greg Jones and Marion Barber. However, off the top of my head, mid-late round 1 has also included people like Maurice Morris, Jonathon Wells, Cedric Cobb, Maurice Clarett, Eric Shelton, etc.

So when you are sitting there and looking at Cedric Cobb or Carson Palmer, is your decision is just -"Take the running back, always take the rb"- then I think that is silly. I think what you have to do is say "What is the player's upside and risk?" The downside with rookies is always bust. Also, I have a diffferent view about dynasty. I don't subscribe to drating as close to average draft position as possible. There are a lot of good owners in my league, who if they like a player, will move ahead of someone to get them. I think that if you like a player a lot, and feel that there is a reasonable chance he will be gone before you draft again, you take them.
:goodposting: as always from you. You don't take the 7th or 8th most talented RB ahead of the 1st or 2nd most talented QB/WR. Just not a good way to build a team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant really say before the draft but I would say the tiers will look something like this (non IDP)

1-3 Safe pick RBs

IMO the most important and biggest dropoff in value is always after the top RBs

4-7 Riskier RBs vs the top QB, WR, and TE

8-10 What's left of the first round QBs and second round RBs.

I think here is where you get that cliff dive you are talking about. The end of the players who will continue to be heavily hyped long after the draft is over.

11+ What's left of the first and second round QB/WR/TE plus RBs through round 4

Please, enlighten me...
Alot depends on when the draft is held. QBs get so much press around NFL draft time. I saw Aaron Rodgers go in the top 3 last year as Favre is old, the guy loved him in college, figured he'd play real soon. It's not that crazy yet later in the summer it's an awful pick.The other thing is that no one has seen these guys play in the NFL. There's some dope bragging how he's had Peyton, Favre, Brady (or whomever) since they were a rook. The kid with a golden arm is available and....America loves a QB.

I'm just guessing. I always trade away my picks in dynasty, you guys love rookies too much for my liking. I'd rather trade a pick for someone with a year under his belt or a "too old" vet and for whatever reason they're always available in trade.
:goodposting: Not always, but as general rule I find those trading away their picks when value strikes are the more succesful owners. Sometimes you need to rebuild, but if given the choice between a late 1st round pick and a youngish good WR #2 or QB, it's generally wise to take the proven player.

That said, in IDP leagues I'm really liking the 2nd round this year. Lots of potential in offense, and some IDPs who look to be studs. If you don't have a top 4 pick, I'd recomend looking into trading down to the 2nd. (I just did in one league)

This is what i would like to see, i've been trying to trade up from 2.04 to the 1.08-1.10 range to get davis (my te's are Putzier, Kris Wilson, and Doug Jolley :bag: )

This is what i would like to see, i've been trying to trade up from 2.04 to the 1.08-1.10 range to get davis (my te's are Putzier, Kris Wilson, and Doug Jolley :bag: )
Only two years ago, TEs were never selected any earlier than the end of the first round. An NFL first round TE would often fall to late second round of a fantasy rookie draft. Times have suddenly changed though. Athletic young TEs can now produce good fantasy numbers early in their careers. I mentioned top TE in the 4-7 range because that's where I would take Davis. He could still easily fall in the 8-10 range in most drafts. As many people havent caught on yet. I think the odds are good for you he'll be there and you shouldnt be heartbroken if he isnt. As that would mean you should be left with someone like Vince Young to pick.

Please, enlighten me...

Thank you very much to all that have responded to the question I posted above... It is very interesting to read... to see the views of knowledgable owners...With that in mind, I'll be looking even more at Leinart with the 1.11 (since I only have Palmer on board - and will have to take a backup later on in the draft anyway)... from prior drafts, he should be there - even though owners with the 1.08 (Delhomme/McNair) and 1.10 (Favre/Rivers) might jump on him...

I have been the one picking Palmer a few years back - took EManning with the 2.05 pick also - and was able to trade him for good value...

Looking a past years - as mentioned, 1.11 comes down to the Reggie Williames, Eric Sheltons, Reggie Browns of the worlds... not really knowing what's at stake - a bust is very well possible...

Same goes for this year, Calhoun? Moss?... who knows... - on the other side, Leinart's risk seems to be pretty low... and he provides insurance (long term) for Palmer... he could also become a very valuable trade bait (ala EManning) sooner than later...

As you can see, I'm even more confused than prior to posting the first post... lol... hopefully, the NFL draft will resolve some of the question marks I have...

Not sure I would jump on Young or Cutler if Leinart is gone at 1.11 though

:popcorn:

This would have been a good thread after the NFL Draft.
What about for those of us who are trying to guage the value of picks for trading purposes? Would seem a little late to try and trade for the 1.5 if five good RB's emerge from the draft.

I'm sitting at #8 and would be THRILLED to get a QB there...if one is available, I will take him. Leinart is who I am hoping for. :thumbup:
If Leinart lasted to #8 in my league (32 team) I would scream like a little school girl. But I'm guessing realistically it would be Cutler. I'd follow that up with say Addai, Drew, Calhoun, Norwood at #12.

Users who are viewing this thread