What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty settings help (1 Viewer)

KingDread

Footballguy
This is my first year of fantasty football, and it has already become a big hobby of mine. The bad thing is I'm finding standard redraft leagues attract a bunch of casual fans who don't really care to stay active. Which is why I thought a dynasty league would suit me much better. However, before I commish a dynasty league, I thought I'd ask some questions, and post some early ideas I had. Let me know what you guys think.

1.) 12 or 16 teams with 32-36 man rosters

2.) If 12 team league, I figured the lineup would look something like this: QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-TE-Flex-K-DL-DL-LB-LB-DB-DB, and if 16 team league replacing one of the RB spots with another Flex spot. The league I'm in has 2 flex spots, and I love this feature so people can mold their teams in multiple different ways instead of just drafting RBs early. What about an IDP flex spot as well?

3.) .5 ppr. I want WRs to gain a bit more of an advantage, but not so much as a full point gives them.

4.) One thing I'm not too big on is the randomness of TDs playing a big impact on games. The idea I had would reward yardage a bit more. I would like to keep TDs at 6 pts, but instead of 1 pt for every 10 yards rushing/receiving and 1 pt for every 25 yards passing, I would bump them up to 1.5 pts. That way when someone has 20 yards and 2 TDs, they will not outscore someone who has 130 yards. Yardage to me should be more rewarded in fantasy football, but I would like to know what you guys think?

5.) With 12 or 16 teams, 36 rounds at a draft would be a bit of a chore. I am figuring it would take around 4 hours to do this? One idea I had would be to split it in two. Would it be a good idea to do the offense one day and then IDPs on another day? Obviously doing it one day is ideal, but 4 hours with people with busy schedules just doesn't seem feasible. I also thought about an auction draft which seems more fair, but would it be possible to pause the draft and continue it a following day?

6.) The end of year 1/beginning of year 2 has me a bit confused. Before the rookie draft is held, do I simply add an unlimited amount of roster spots or a set number? Then when season 2 is about to start require people to cut their rosters back down to how many we had in season 1? Reason I'm confused here is due to people making trades and ending up with like 10 picks or something.

7.) Which brings me to, how would I determine draft order? I don't want people tanking on purpose trying to get the top draft pick so what would be the fair way to do this?

8.) Finally, when season 2 begins should I re-align the divisions or keep them the same for more historical rivalries?

I apologize for the long post, but would like to nail down this kind of stuff before next year, and hear some of you guys' opinions that have been in dynasty leagues. Thanks!

A lot of these are things that should be your preference it is your league after all. If you already have a group of guys that are interested in this, get their preferences as well. I'll just give you a quick rundown of my thoughts.

1) 12 or 16, you'll find owners interested in both. Just remember that 16 teams means likely more owner turnover and time spent by you in the offseason finding replacement owners.

2) People love flex spots. Both Offensive and defensive. Just note that IDP leagues again are slightly harder to fill.

3)I personally love the .5 PPR.

4)Again, just my preference, but I started in TD heavy leagues and I'll always lean that way. You can add yardage bonuses if you want. As in 2-3 pts if a guy breaks 100yards in a game. I have one league like that which is a lot of fun.

5)Do a slow draft. Its a LONG summer and hard enough to get 12-16 people to agree on anything. Give everyone a 12-24 hour clock and the draft will go quicker than you'd expect. Its also fun to talk/make trades while there is down time during the draft.

6) I'm in favor of adding roster spots AFTER the season is over. Not for any type of FA hording, but let people make all their picks and cut rosters before the season starts.

7) There are websites that can select a random order for the startup draft and email the results to everyone, so there will be no cheating issues with that. Tanking is always an issue, you just have to suck it up. Some leagues do a garbage bowl playoff with the winner getting and extra pick (last in the first round usually).

8) Don't re-align. Some may ask for it, but I'm not a fan.

* I'd also suggest that if you want people to be active and not drop out of the league, you need to charge a fee and pay a out a prize to the winner. It might be best to use leaguesafe for the money, unless you know the people.

Good luck

A few things to add:

1/3. If you want a bit of an advantage for WRs, consider adding a third WR spot to go along with that .5 ppr.

4. I'm with you on yardage v. TDs.

5. DEFINITELY do the slow draft. Start recruiting teams in April and begin the draft in early May. Make clear up front that the clock is the clock -- you don't want to hear complaints if people are using 7-1/2 of the 8 hours. They shouldn't do that consistently, but it happens.

7. Consider the NBA lottery method for choosing the draft order of non-playoff teams. Each loss gets you an extra ball in the hopper, so to speak. I'm sure you can find an online program to do this automatically. Maybe on some high school math site teaching probability. This could be in addition to the toilet bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys.

The only thing that worries me about a slow draft is players getting hurt in the preseason, and making the people who draft them lose interest. Particularly in a 16 team league, I feel like a preseason injury to your top player would blow any chance you had of being competitive in the first year. Obviously injuries are gonna play more of a part in a dynasty league, but making people frustrated right off the bat seems like a bad idea to me.

Also, is myfantasyleague.com the best place to start up a league like this? I've heard they have the best customization of any place.

I figure what I will end up doing is having a few buddies I know personally join, and fill up the rest with people like I see on this forum who love this hobby and would be active. So leaguesafe sounds like a good idea to me. Also, with MFL, there is a $70 fee. While that's a fair price, is there some way to make each person pay like $6 to cover the expenses? Of course it's easy if I fill the league up with people I know personally, but I highly doubt I can find that many people in my area who are interested.

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't suggest being the commish of a dynasty league if this is your first year of playing fantasy football.

Look around and find a league that is being built (usally around March is a good time), that has setting and rules you like.

Being commish in a dynasty league can be a lot of work, and I think you need to be really familiar with the different intricacies before you try to start your own league.

Users who are viewing this thread