What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] The 2013 Buy/Sell List (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
Some players who look overvalued/undervalued on the eve of the 2013 season:

BUYING

RB Christine Michael, Seahawks - If you can stomach the lack of immediate production, Michael probably has more long term value than at least half of the backs currently ranked ahead of him. In terms of overall remaining career value, he might be a top 10 dynasty RB. If you're looking ahead/rebuilding and/or if you have the patience to wait a couple years, he appears to be one of the best investments out there. An ascending asset whose value will really explode when he gets his opportunity to start (see: David Wilson, Lamar Miller).

RB Bryce Brown, Eagles - I rank Brown a rung below Michael, but he offers some of the same attributes. A possible starting caliber RB available on the cheap because of his opportunity roadblock. Buy him for a modest price, stick him on your bench, and in a couple years you might have an elite FF asset. Brown is something of a prodigy from a running talent standpoint and could be a big time player with more seasoning and opportunity.

RB Rashard Mendenhall, Cardinals - Mendy isn't an exciting option at this point, but he's valued like a RB3-RB4 and he has the potential and opportunity to produce as a mid level RB2. If he stays healthy and avoids a RBBC, he will easily exceed his market value. And he's young enough that he might have a few more decent seasons left. The overall situation reminds me a lot of when Cedric Benson went to Cincinnati. There is some flop risk, but the price is so low that he's well worth a punt over a bunch of never-weres or backup caliber RB prospects.

WR Justin Blackmon, Jaguars - Blackmon comes with obvious character red flags, but he played well in the second half of his rookie season and meets many of the criteria for long term NFL WR1 status. He was a high draft and he has a pretty solid height/weight/speed/explosiveness skill set. There's some risk that his character issues wreck his career, but there's also clear upside at his current dynasty market value if he stays clean.

WR Cecil Shorts, Jaguars - Shorts is criminally underappreciated based on what he accomplished last year. I don't know if it's the concussions, the small school factor, the low profile team, or the lack of eye-popping height/weight/speed numbers, but he's not ranked where he should be based on his youth and production. I think he's a solid WR2-WR3, but he's ranked as a fringe WR3. That makes him a nice buy low proposition. He is no worse than players like Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, Eric Decker, and Pierre Garcon.

TE David Ausberry, Raiders - He's a freaky athlete and he's poised to be the starting TE on a dire team that has no elite options in the passing game. Brandon Myers was able to turn this opportunity into a top 10 season. Pryor might not be as capable of propping up a viable FF TE as Palmer was, but Ausberry is also a lot more dynamic from a talent perspective than Myers was. Considering that many owners don't even know he exists, Ausberry is a no-brainer acquisition for the price of a waiver move or a late future rookie pick.

Honorable Mention: WR TY Hilton, WR Chris Givens, WR Golden Tate, WR Quinton Patton, WR Nick Toon, TE Jermaine Gresham, TE Luke Willson, TE Vance McDonald

SELLING

RB Adrian Peterson, Vikings - There's no doubt that he's a great player, but is he worth a first round pick in a startup draft? I don't think so. There are too many other great players at WR, RB, and TE to justify spending such a high selection on a 28 year old whose trade value is going to tank hard over the next 2-3 years. This feels so much like LT coming off the 2006 season, right before his performance and value went into a downward spiral.

RB Darren McFadden, Raiders - McFadden is an odd player because no many how many times he sabotages FF teams, people are always lining up for another ride on the rollercoaster. It's like clockwork every season. I'm guessing this year will be more of the same. Not only do I think he's nowhere near as talented as his reputation would indicate (see 2012 season), he's also stuck on a hopeless team that will be playing catch up every week. He still has a lot of name brand recognition though, so now is a good opportunity to cash him in for an actual good player.

RB Shane Vereen, Patriots - There's potential for immediate top 25-30 production ppr leagues if he plays a prominent role in the receiving game. The obvious problem is that his upside is capped by the presence of Ridley. In all likelihood, Vereen simply won't get the volume of work needed to be anything more than a lesser version of Darren Sproles. If you just need a warm body you could probably do worse, but there's near zero upside.

WR Wes Welker, Broncos - He was great in New England, but he switched teams and he's well past the dreaded 30 year age barrier. Maybe you'll get 1-2 more seasons of quality production, but don't expect New England numbers and be aware that he'll be nearly untradeable soon.

TE Kyle Rudolph, Vikings - He's not bad. He's just not that great either. A slow TE (4.8 speed) who offers no big play threat and will be reliant on TD catches to compensate for his lack of yardage. He's a decent pick if all you're looking for is a solid perennial top 10 TE, but right now he's valued by some as a player who has the potential to become a true difference maker. I don't think he does. I think he's highly replaceable and would happily cash him for a high rookie pick (preferably something in the top 15). If you can somehow get Tyler Eifert for him, by all means jump at the chance.

Honorable Mention: RB Arian Foster, RB DeMarco Murray, WR Roddy White, WR Torrey Smith, WR Eric Decker, WR Greg Jennings

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew without opening this thread there would be the obligatory McFadden bashing. A player you have hated since he was a rookie, of course DMC will be on your sell list - would anyone think otherwise?

I'll make different buy/sells:

BUYING

David Wilson - RB - NYG: All offseason the question has been only about his opportunity. The only thing everyone agreed on with Wilson was that if given bell-cow work he had all the talent to succeed. Nobody thought he would get the bell-cow work this season with Brown around. With Brown down now and bell-cow work all but guaranteed for most of the season. He'll finish Top 5.

Marlon Brown - WR - BAL: Watching him play during the preseason he seems like an amazing talent that just happened to have that trifecta of awful circle around him which resulted in him being a UDFA. Now he's on a team that in my opinion doesn't even have a true #1 WR let alone a true #2. He may not be the starter in Week 1 but we all know who Jacoby Jones and Brandon Stokley are and the answer is below average mediocre receiving talents. Brown should be starting opposite Smith within the first half of the season or earlier.

Sam Bradford - QB - STL: I feel like all the stars are aligned for him this season, in fact I'm buying on most of the STL offense this year. Bradford is going to surpass 4000 yards and 30 TDs this season and next year will be a Top 10 QB in all fantasy drafts.

Tavon Austin - WR - STL: Everyone keeps looking at all the nothing he did during the preseason. But as Jeff Fischer said... do you REALLY think we're going to show you what the most dynamic player I've ever had on a team can do in the preseason? I think the Rams are going to use him early and often and everyone who didn't buy in on him is going to be kicking themselves. Just like the people who failed to buy in on some of last seasons all-star rookies (RG3, Wilson, Alfred, Martin, TRich etc.)

SELLING

Arian Foster - RB - HOU: His production has gone down steadily since his breakout season. He hasn't taken a single snap all off season and has been struggling with random injuries all season. He's at an increased risk to experience injury this season. He had over 420 touches last season (including playoffs) which is astronomical. That coupled with Kubiak talking about Tate having an increased role. I just can't buy Foster this season. And for Dynasty he's just too old after this year really...

Danny Amendola - WR - NE: I'd love to see the breakout potential everyone else does but my guess is he gets seriously injured before week 6 and misses most of the season. Kenbrell Thompkins likely is the highest scoring WR on the team by years end.

Randall Cobb - WR - GB: I really just don't see it to be honest. He's essentially now the #1 WR in a Green Bay offense. And offense where the #1 WR is rarely the one to have the most production.

Doug Martin - RB - TB: It's impossible for him to finish outside the Top 10 without injury just due to his sheer number of carries and goal line attempts. But I think he regresses a little bit this season and becomes more consistent finishing outside the Top 5 this year. It's hard to count on a 270 yard/4 TD game every season.

I knew without opening this thread there would be the obligatory McFadden bashing. A player you have hated since he was a rookie, of course DMC will be on your sell list - would anyone think otherwise?
The same could be said about you and your disdain for EBF. Seems like most of your posts these days are directed towards him and with nothing valuable to say whatsoever.

The same could be said about you and your disdain for EBF. Seems like most of your posts these days are directed towards him and with nothing valuable to say whatsoever.
So that makes it untrue? DMAC bashing and Mendy hyping. Same story for the past 4 years.

So that makes it untrue? DMAC bashing and Mendy hyping. Same story for the past 4 years.
Surprised Forte didn't make the 'sell' list.

Still tokin on Mendy, gotta love it.
I've seen him ranked in the 40-50 range of some dynasty lists. That's criminal stuff.

He has his warts. He's merely an average starter and his durability is suspect.

There aren't a lot of 26 year old multi-season 1000+ yard rushers floating around for cheap though. For a RB3-RB4 price, he's a good value.

SELLING

Doug Martin - RB - TB: It's impossible for him to finish outside the Top 10 without injury just due to his sheer number of carries and goal line attempts. But I think he regresses a little bit this season and becomes more consistent finishing outside the Top 5 this year. It's hard to count on a 270 yard/4 TD game every season.
You're going to have to unpack this one. He just got back his best 2 Olinemen and taking away the best game for any player is always a silly argument.

As long as he keeps being hyped up as a borderline elite talent, the bashing will be warranted. His NFL career has been a disaster relative to expectations. He was touted as the next Adrian Peterson. Entering the sixth year of his NFL career, he has one 1000+ yard rushing season. That's only one fewer than Shonn Greene.

I feel totally vindicated in my disdain for DMC. He has been a big flop based on expectations.

I'll make different buy/sells:

BUYING

Marlon Brown - WR - BAL: Watching him play during the preseason he seems like an amazing talent that just happened to have that trifecta of awful circle around him which resulted in him being a UDFA. Now he's on a team that in my opinion doesn't even have a true #1 WR let alone a true #2. He may not be the starter in Week 1 but we all know who Jacoby Jones and Brandon Stokley are and the answer is below average mediocre receiving talents. Brown should be starting opposite Smith within the first half of the season or earlier.
I like this call. Scooped him off waivers in several leagues. I knew about him a while back because he was a big time recruit out of high school and Stanford went after him hard. He caught my eye a little bit at Georgia in his final season. Then he went down with an ACL and I basically forgot that he existed until I saw his name in a box score.

Interesting flyer who could have a future as a relevant NFL WR.

Not so sure about the other calls. I don't buy Randall Cobb as a conventional #1 WR, but great quarterbacks can turn niche players into big time FF weapons. Like Welker in New England or, to a lesser extent, Hilton in Indianapolis last season. I think Cobb will remain productive because he's a good player in a situation where his virtues won't be wasted.

As long as he keeps being hyped up as a borderline elite talent, the bashing will be warranted. His NFL career has been a disaster relative to expectations. He was touted as the next Adrian Peterson. Entering the sixth year of his NFL career, he has one 1000+ yard rushing season. That's only one fewer than Shonn Greene.

I feel totally vindicated in my disdain for DMC. He has been a big flop based on expectations.
Which is why so many people don't take you serious.

SELLING

You're going to have to unpack this one. He just got back his best 2 Olinemen and taking away the best game for any player is always a silly argument.
Actually didn't Brian Westbrook make the top 5 for a few years just by having decent numbers all year and then 2 games a year he would go 250 total yards and 2 or 3 touchdowns?

That "big flop" won me two dynasty league championships in 2010, including the PDFFL league (which we are both in). Yes, he has been a disappointment, but I have fared better with him than you have with the two "pet players" out of the same rookie class that you have been constantly pimping since 2008: Mendenhall and Stewart.

Any objective observer would agree that McFadden has been a huge flop. So you can call it bias or whatever you'd like, but he was supposed to have a career like Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, or Jamaal Charles. Instead he's been injured and inconsistent throughout his time in the NFL. People have downgraded guys like Stewart and Mendenhall based on their spotty histories, but for whatever reason the FF community has a blind spot for McFadden. No matter how badly he flops, people always line up to draft him high the next year.

SELLING

Actually didn't Brian Westbrook make the top 5 for a few years just by having decent numbers all year and then 2 games a year he would go 250 total yards and 2 or 3 touchdowns?
I'm not sure about Westy, but several other RBs had inflated numbers based on this logic. Which is always the case. Morris had a game of 200/3

Lynch had a game of 128/3

Charles had games of 233/1 and 226/1

CJ had a game of 196/2

I could go on.

Any objective observer would agree that McFadden has been a huge flop. So you can call it bias or whatever you'd like, but he was supposed to have a career like Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, or Jamaal Charles. Instead he's been injured and inconsistent throughout his time in the NFL. People have downgraded guys like Stewart and Mendenhall based on their spotty histories, but for whatever reason the FF community has a blind spot for McFadden. No matter how badly he flops, people always line up to draft him high the next year.
What are you talking about? Lining up to draft him? His ADP middle of round 4. In all of my leagues he didn't go until the 5th round at least. Yeah he's being drafted over Mendy and Stewart as he should be.

It doesn't make it untrue. It doesn't make EBF wrong either.

It just make's bringing up EBF's dislike for the guys tiring. So what he doesn't like them!? Move on.

What are you talking about? Lining up to draft him? His ADP middle of round 4. In all of my leagues he didn't go until the 5th round at least. Yeah he's being drafted over Mendy and Stewart as he should be.
As of now the guys over at Dynasty League Football have McFadden ranked as the 13th RB. I don't know where FBG has him in their dynasty rankings, but I'd guess that it's probably somewhere in the teens as well. That seems high to me. I can't say exactly where I'd rank him, but my guess is that he'd be around RB25.

Reaching deep - Garrett Graham, TE Houston. Just needs a window of opportunity.
I've got him on the bench in one or two leagues. Looks like a decent player. Not sure he will get enough looks to make a dent this season with Johnson/Hopkins/Daniels/Foster taking a lot of the looks. He's not super young either, so you might be looking at a pretty slim window if/when he gets his chance to be a starter.

As of now the guys over at Dynasty League Football have McFadden ranked as the 13th RB. I don't know where FBG has him in their dynasty rankings, but I'd guess that it's probably somewhere in the teens as well. That seems high to me. I can't say exactly where I'd rank him, but my guess is that he'd be around RB25.
And at their overall ranking they have him at #46, which would fall at the end of round 4. Good attempt at misdirection, but I was expecting it.

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/dynasty-300/

For his career, here are McFadden's stats:

Games: 57 (11.4 per year)

Rushing Yards: 3334 (666.8/year)

Rush TDs: 18 (3.6/year)

Receptions: 158 (31.6/year)

Rec. Yards: 1449 (289.8/year)

Rec. TDs: 5 (1.0/year)

The guy has had one good year. He's never played more than 13 games, he's had exactly one season where his combined yardage was more than 1000, and exactly one season where he exceeded 5 total TDs (he had 10). Add to that the fact that he plays on the absolute worst team in the league, behind the worst line, with a QB with 30 NFL pass attempts and a YPA exactly 0.1 higher than his YPC (5.2 vs 5.1), and I have no idea why people are still high on the guy.

Nice thread here EBF.

Buying:

Mark Ingram - The two guys sharing time with him are getting older and he's still only 23 (24 December). His value is as low as it's going to go IMO and he's entering his first season fully healthy. I think he's going to show us why he won the Heisman and why he was drafted in the first round. While the Hall of Fame is still a ways out of reach (heh), he has the talent and ability to be special in the league. I still believe.

Jonathan Stewart - This is someone I'm sure I'll get criticized for but I think everyone seems to be jumping ship on him. He's had his share of injuries but I think the team will allow him to heal and his talent isn't going anywhere. In dynasty, injuries like this are something I look to take advantage of with the right guys and you probably won't have to pay too much to get him. I think it's a good opportunity to pick him up if you have space to let him heal and perhaps find a better situation.

Josh Gordon - The reefer smoking has him in the doghouse for some owners, if you haven't already tested them, you may as well try now. Because if his head is (finally) on straight and not stuck in clouds of smoke, the sky is the limit. I think he's something like a high stakes gamble... you'll have to pay alot to get him and could lose it all... but the jackpot could be team changing.

Alshon Jeffery - I've been a buyer of Jeffrey since he exploded onto the CFB scene in 2010 - the fat photos made me even more hungry for him... while everyone was down on him, I was still sky high. I think this kid has future stud written all over him. He has the hands, the leaping ability, the speed to get deep and, as long as he stays healthy, we're going to see it this season. Get him while he's a WR3.

Stephen Hill - Measurements that most WR's would kill for... Hill had a lackluster rookie season. That coupled with the issues with the Jets as a whole, makes him a good buy and at a discount at the moment. I don't expect him to shock the world this year, but I think he can still develop into a special receiver if he puts the work in. If Geno develops, I think Hill will develop with him and they'll become a nice connection. I'm skeptically bullish on Hill, I just can't get over his potential.

Quinton Patton - Wow. I'm sad to say I missed out on Patton in rookie drafts. I liked him coming out but didn't end up with him on any of my teams. He looked fantastic in limited action in the preseason and I think he'll be the WR2 in no time over Moore this season. He's electric and has the skills to be special. I'm trying to buy but it's hard to pry him from owners at this point... I'm kicking myself for not having him rostered.

Ladarius Green - Size/speed guy who seems to working his way to playing time. Gates is getting up there in age and Green may be the heir to Gates' throne. With the WR woes in SD, I think that we could see him making an impact this season. It may be hard to pry him from the owner but I think he's a guy to get now before it's too late.

Taylor Thompson - The former DE turned TE is beast of a man. 6'6" 268lbs - with 4.57 speed. I think he's starting to put the talent together and make strides. The Titans like this kid and I don't see much in front of him to keep him off the field. Walker hasn't been known for his good health and Stevens is a blocker only in my eyes. I'm looking for Thompson get opportunities and can see him making of the most of them soon.

Sell:

Arian Foster - I'd wait for his first big game and sell this season. He's on the down-slope in my eyes and can't seem to keep from getting dinged up. I'd be trying to dump him for a young up and comer if I could. I just don't see him sustaining his touch number or production this season or into the future. It could be too late already to dump him IMO.

Roddy White - Julio is already taking over as the main target and Roddy is playing second fiddle. The writing was on the wall last season. You'll probably have a hard time finding a buyer, but I'd target someone like Jeffrey for him if there's a taker. Sell him while you can!

Anquan Boldin - I think Boldin will be great in redraft this year. I just don't see him continuing his dominance as a possession monster with the talent that the 9er's are accumulating on their roster. As early as next season IMO, once Crabtree comes back, I think the 9er's will have a hard time keeping Boldin on the field with Patton being the playmaker he is. This could be a premature sell, but this may be the highest Boldin's value will ever be again IMO. I'm also a believer in Baldwin who seems like a Boldin clone, if Baldwin can continue to develop (IF), it could assist in making it game over for Boldin in SF.

Delanie Walker - I just don't see it with Walker. Sure he was second fiddle to Davis all those years and has shown flashes in limited action but I question his ability to be a high volume target TE. I think there are some that are quite high on him, if you find the right owner I'd sell after Walkers first big game. I'm higher on Taylor Thompson and think he could push Walker to the 2nd TE on another team in the next season or two.

And at their overall ranking they have him at #46, which would fall at the end of round 4. Good attempt at misdirection, but I was expecting it.

How about sticking your neck out a bit and giving us some of your own buy/sells instead of continually jabbing EBF in here? I usually respect your take on players but lately all I see you post is EBF related negativity.

I'm not sure what your point is. RB13. #46 overall player. By any name a reach and a wasted opportunity to get a good player.

Lots of talent out there in the 4th round. I wouldn't be looking to use a pick on Mr. Glass that high.

squistion said:
If it bothers you that much, use the ignore function.
It just doesn't do anything for the Pool, I'm really not all that bothered by it.

You sure seem to be bothered by EBF liking Mendy and disliking McFadden. Perhaps you should heed your own advice? Hmm...

Nice thread here EBF.

Buying:

Mark Ingram - The two guys sharing time with him are getting older and he's still only 23 (24 December). His value is as low as it's going to go IMO and he's entering his first season fully healthy. I think he's going to show us why he won the Heisman and why he was drafted in the first round. While the Hall of Fame is still a ways out of reach (heh), he has the talent and ability to be special in the league. I still believe.

Jonathan Stewart - This is someone I'm sure I'll get criticized for but I think everyone seems to be jumping ship on him. He's had his share of injuries but I think the team will allow him to heal and his talent isn't going anywhere. In dynasty, injuries like this are something I look to take advantage of with the right guys and you probably won't have to pay too much to get him. I think it's a good opportunity to pick him up if you have space to let him heal and perhaps find a better situation.

Josh Gordon - The reefer smoking has him in the doghouse for some owners, if you haven't already tested them, you may as well try now. Because if his head is (finally) on straight and not stuck in clouds of smoke, the sky is the limit. I think he's something like a high stakes gamble... you'll have to pay alot to get him and could lose it all... but the jackpot could be team changing.

Alshon Jeffery - I've been a buyer of Jeffrey since he exploded onto the CFB scene in 2010 - the fat photos made me even more hungry for him... while everyone was down on him, I was still sky high. I think this kid has future stud written all over him. He has the hands, the leaping ability, the speed to get deep and, as long as he stays healthy, we're going to see it this season. Get him while he's a WR3.

Stephen Hill - Measurements that most WR's would kill for... Hill had a lackluster rookie season. That coupled with the issues with the Jets as a whole, makes him a good buy and at a discount at the moment. I don't expect him to shock the world this year, but I think he can still develop into a special receiver if he puts the work in. If Geno develops, I think Hill will develop with him and they'll become a nice connection. I'm skeptically bullish on Hill, I just can't get over his potential.

Quinton Patton - Wow. I'm sad to say I missed out on Patton in rookie drafts. I liked him coming out but didn't end up with him on any of my teams. He looked fantastic in limited action in the preseason and I think he'll be the WR2 in no time over Moore this season. He's electric and has the skills to be special. I'm trying to buy but it's hard to pry him from owners at this point... I'm kicking myself for not having him rostered.

Ladarius Green - Size/speed guy who seems to working his way to playing time. Gates is getting up there in age and Green may be the heir to Gates' throne. With the WR woes in SD, I think that we could see him making an impact this season. It may be hard to pry him from the owner but I think he's a guy to get now before it's too late.

Taylor Thompson - The former DE turned TE is beast of a man. 6'6" 268lbs - with 4.57 speed. I think he's starting to put the talent together and make strides. The Titans like this kid and I don't see much in front of him to keep him off the field. Walker hasn't been known for his good health and Stevens is a blocker only in my eyes. I'm looking for Thompson get opportunities and can see him making of the most of them soon.

Sell:

Arian Foster - I'd wait for his first big game and sell this season. He's on the down-slope in my eyes and can't seem to keep from getting dinged up. I'd be trying to dump him for a young up and comer if I could. I just don't see him sustaining his touch number or production this season or into the future. It could be too late already to dump him IMO.

Roddy White - Julio is already taking over as the main target and Roddy is playing second fiddle. The writing was on the wall last season. You'll probably have a hard time finding a buyer, but I'd target someone like Jeffrey for him if there's a taker. Sell him while you can!

Anquan Boldin - I think Boldin will be great in redraft this year. I just don't see him continuing his dominance as a possession monster with the talent that the 9er's are accumulating on their roster. As early as next season IMO, once Crabtree comes back, I think the 9er's will have a hard time keeping Boldin on the field with Patton being the playmaker he is. This could be a premature sell, but this may be the highest Boldin's value will ever be again IMO. I'm also a believer in Baldwin who seems like a Boldin clone, if Baldwin can continue to develop (IF), it could assist in making it game over for Boldin in SF.

Delanie Walker - I just don't see it with Walker. Sure he was second fiddle to Davis all those years and has shown flashes in limited action but I question his ability to be a high volume target TE. I think there are some that are quite high on him, if you find the right owner I'd sell after Walkers first big game. I'm higher on Taylor Thompson and think he could push Walker to the 2nd TE on another team in the next season or two.
I'm also regretting missing out on Patton. I don't see him as a WR1 at any point, but he figures to be a solid contributor and he's in a good offense.

Roddy and Foster seem like they're about to fall off a cliff. Where they're ranked on generic dynasty lists and where owners actually value them might vary though. I find that a lot of people will rank older WRs like Fitz, VJax, Andre, and Roddy highly, but when you actually try to trade one of those players, it's really hard to find a decent offer. He's still probably overvalued, as I think some of the younger options offer more net value if you're willing to take on some of the uncertainty that surrounds a newcomer.

I'm not sure what your point is. RB13. #46 overall player. By any name a reach and a wasted opportunity to get a good player.

Lots of talent out there in the 4th round. I wouldn't be looking to use a pick on Mr. Glass that high.
Please reread the above.

You said people are always lining up for DMC. Jurb26 (said WTF? and) noted that the ADP for DMC was in the middle of round 4 (which would be #42 overall). You countered that he was the #13 RB, which was non-responsive to the point he was making (that he was going in the mid 4th round). I called and pointed out your source had him at #46 overall, which proved the point Jurb26 had made, that he was at least a mid 4th round pick (and where he was taken among RBs was not relevant to what Jurb26 was saying).

Good work, EBF.

WR Cecil Shorts, Jaguars - Shorts is criminally underappreciated based on what he accomplished last year. I don't know if it's the concussions, the small school factor, the low profile team, or the lack of eye-popping height/weight/speed numbers, but he's not ranked where he should be based on his youth and production. I think he's a solid WR2-WR3, but he's ranked as a fringe WR3. That makes him a nice buy low proposition. He is no worse than players like Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, Eric Decker, and Pierre Garcon.
Shorts is underrated. I know the QB position is terrible in Jax, but Christian Ponder is awful - and both Patterson and Jennings are rated higher than Shorts by FBG.

Footballguys have Danny Amendola, Greg Jennings, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, and Miles Austin all ranked ahead of Shorts in dynasty formats. I wouldn't trade Shorts for any of those guys.

Great. Can we move on now?

I disagree it's a good time to buy Michael. It's the worst time to buy Michael other than the day he is named starter. He is not likely to increase in value between now and when Lynch leaves. He is more likely to be gotten sometime midseason when teams have needs and his value looks more like Pierce did last midseason. I've offered Lattimore+KAllen and gotten rejected. I've offered Vincent Jackson and gotten rejected. I've offered Stevan Ridley and gotten rejected. His value is not going up until he's an actual stud. Sure there may be some leagues where his owner didn't put a lot of thought into picking him, but those are probably the exceptions.

So for this dynasty league, you are selling on all the old guys.

Amazing concept.
That's one (snarky) way to look at it. In dynasty leagues, most young players you roster you're holding to see if they develop. Drafting a rookie and trading them immediately isn't really my style. If I like a guy enough to draft him, I'm going to hold him for a couple of years to see if he develops. While (trying) to stay competitive, I recycle the older, proven guys for younger unproven guys before the older guys fall off the cliff. Occasionally there are younger guys who have put in a couple of years and you think have reached their potential - like a borderline #1 at their position but not a stud. Sometimes you can move them for future studs. It's risky but sometimes rewarding. A couple of those guys IMO are Cruz and Ridley. Clearly, if you're in contention it's not wise to trade these guys mid season but they're a couple of pieces who could give you a nice return.

So to add a some guys who aren't about to retire, I'm selling:

Victor Cruz - I think he's a bonafide WR2 who just got paid as such. In my eyes, his ability to be a WR1 hinges on the health of his running mate Nicks. There are people out there who think Cruz can be a perennial WR1 and I'd take advantage of that. He's a sell high IMO while healthy, right now I'd wait until this ankle thing settles down and he puts up some good numbers to dump him for a younger higher ceiling guy+.

Stevan Ridley - Don't get me wrong, I think he's a solid back but he's on the wrong team to consistently put up RB1 numbers. He was about there last season, but I think he's more likely to forever be an RB2... I'd be looking for an owner who thinks he's RB1 material now and move him for someone who could be a top 5 back. I moved him for David Wilson last season while Wilson was riding the pine and I was out of contention. I think it was a smart move looking back. Wilson has top 5 potential in my eyes while Ridley is a top 20 guy.

These are a couple of guys who, IMO, have reached their potential or shown their ceiling and you could move for someone with a higher ceiling who has yet to reach theirs. You don't always have to play the sell them before they retire or fall off the cliff game, it's just the easiest and safest game to play.

I'm sure these guys could cause a stir as sells in here but it's just how I see it.

I disagree it's a good time to buy Michael. It's the worst time to buy Michael other than the day he is named starter. He is not likely to increase in value between now and when Lynch leaves. He is more likely to be gotten sometime midseason when teams have needs and his value looks more like Pierce did last midseason. I've offered Lattimore+KAllen and gotten rejected. I've offered Vincent Jackson and gotten rejected. I've offered Stevan Ridley and gotten rejected. His value is not going up until he's an actual stud. Sure there may be some leagues where his owner didn't put a lot of thought into picking him, but those are probably the exceptions.
I was just thinking this too... along with David Wilson. At this time, you're not buying them from anyone. If you own them you're holding unless someone is making ridiculous offers.

I'm a staunch buyer of Ridley. I think New England leans on him in a very large and heavy way this season. He showed he can handle the load. Great situation for him this season in NE.

24 years old, runs with great power and vision, nose for the endzone, a joke in division schedule...... I'm pounding the table on Ridley.

I went from sell to hold on Ridley when Hernandez got arrested. It added a lot more upside even in PPR. Risk no different than any other RB in that ADP range.

I went from sell to hold on Ridley when Hernandez got arrested. It added a lot more upside even in PPR. Risk no different than any other RB in that ADP range.
I'm a staunch buyer of Ridley. I think New England leans on him in a very large and heavy way this season. He showed he can handle the load. Great situation for him this season in NE.

24 years old, runs with great power and vision, nose for the endzone, a joke in division schedule...... I'm pounding the table on Ridley.
You guys aren't believers in Vereen? I'm thinking he's a big beneficiary of health, another year under his belt, and the Hernandez situation this season. :popcorn:

I've always liked Vereen. I think both players benefited from the AH arrest. We're focusing on Vereen because of the receptions, but the workload for Ridley should go up as well. Part of the reason I was selling Ridley earlier was because I felt Vereen would carve out more of a role; now it seems there's enough points/touches to go around.

You could call both players sells because there are better players in the same value range, but I think both will be productive and startable going forward barring injury. I have no problem holding them in all my leagues.

Fair point. He might get into a Ben Tate type of situation where he flashes and then disappears for a bit. If that happens, there might be some better buy low windows in the future.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint that this Guy will eventually be a top 10 dynasty RB, but doesn't cost near that. Hence why he's a great buy for the forward thinker.

Tornacl said:

The guy has had one good year. He's never played more than 13 games, he's had exactly one season where his combined yardage was more than 1000, and exactly one season where he exceeded 5 total TDs (he had 10). Add to that the fact that he plays on the absolute worst team in the league, behind the worst line, with a QB with 30 NFL pass attempts and a YPA exactly 0.1 higher than his YPC (5.2 vs 5.1), and I have no idea why people are still high on the guy.
Actually, he's had 2 good years and a 3rd decent year. 2011 was his best season as a pro until he got injured and missed all but 7 games. Over the last 3 years DMAC has averaged;

77 yds rushing per game.

3.375 receptions per game.

28.7 yds receiving per game.

0.56 total TDs per game.

Showing it on a yearly basis is a nice way of making his in game performance look worse than they really are. The guy needs to stay healthy, simple as that. When he is on the field he's a very good RB and fantasy contributor, especially in PPR leagues.

jdoggydogg said:
Good work, EBF.

EBF said:
Shorts is underrated. I know the QB position is terrible in Jax, but Christian Ponder is awful - and both Patterson and Jennings are rated higher than Shorts by FBG.

Footballguys have Danny Amendola, Greg Jennings, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, and Miles Austin all ranked ahead of Shorts in dynasty formats. I wouldn't trade Shorts for any of those guys.
I'd say both Jennings and Patterson are ranked higher because they are better players. In redraft I'd clearly take Shorts over Patterson, not over Jennings. In dynasty however, I'd clearly take Patterson over Shorts.

Good thread except for the infighting. Love some of the picks. I like Shorts a lot, it's just a concussion issue that's stopping me from calling him a huge bargain. It doesn't really seem to matter what the QB situation is in Jax - Shorts produced with whoever they had last season, so that doesn't bother me. He's proven to be a very good WR with poor QBs already.

I'm trying to buy guys like Reuben Randel & Robert Woods, both of whom I think are big time talents who probably won't do much this season. If I have room, I'm stashing Nick Toon, who is a pretty big question mark, but I think he has the best shot at replacing Colston in a couple of years.

I'm also trying to buy Lattimore if his owner is getting a bit jittery about him basically missing a year. I think he's a stud prospect and all reports seem to indicate he's a hard worker. If he makes it back next year I think he could be a terrific player.

Tornacl said:

He was #2 in PPG in 2010 and #4 the first 6 weeks of 2011. Even last year which was massively disappointing he was #13 after 8 weeks.

It's true that he can't stay healthy but if he's healthy during your playoffs he can win you a title.

Tornacl said:

He was #2 in PPG in 2010 and #4 the first 6 weeks of 2011. Even last year which was massively disappointing he was #13 after 8 weeks.

It's true that he can't stay healthy but if he's healthy during your playoffs he can win you a title.
good posting, but that's a big IF.

jdoggydogg said:
Good work, EBF.

EBF said:

I agree on all but Amendola. Amendola is a risky but even higher reward guy, and he's not that old. Shorts is a nice dynasty prospect, but remember that Blackmon is there and his talent is unquestioned. Blackmon is the main reason why Shorts' value isn't higher.

I would buy Bernard Pierce while his price is fairly reasonable.

He passes the eyeball test to me.....the guy clearly can take over for Rice someday. It won't be this year unless Rice gets hurt, but Rice does have 4 seasons of 300+ touches and carried the ball a lot at Rutgers......Rice has racked up a lot of mileage.

jurb26 said:
Khy said:
SELLING

I wouldn't say completely take away his big game, but you have to admit, it's a CAREER game. To expect it once a year and put it into the average is just a silly as completely discounting it. The right play is to scale it back to say 200/2, which Martin has a reasonable chance of obtaining 1 time in 16 games.

That said, I wouldn't be selling Martin unless someone offered the moon. 2nd year guy, focal point of the offense and will likely be elite for the next 3-4 years. You can argue that Martin is the 2nd best dynasty player behind Calvin. The only way I would sell is if I was uncompetitive and I can get 2 or 3 good pieces for him to rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread