What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (4 Viewers)

If he plays a full season next year 15-20 touchdowns looks like a strong bet. If the Rams incorporate him at all in the passing game he could rival a healthy Le'Veon Bell for RB1 honors. As explosive as he is, he should be getting 3-4 receptions per game guaranteed. Ridiculous that the Rams haven't figured that out yet.
If they were in the playoff hunt, or if was further removed from knee surgery, I'm guessing they would have used him more in the passing game. No need the past couple weeks though, really.
I disagree in that the more you do it now the more ingrained it becomes for him and your offense going forward. Besides, I also don't think it's extremely difficult to call 3-4 screen passes a game, especially when you have a limited QB who can use all the help he can get. Just seems like basic coaching to me.

If he plays a full season next year 15-20 touchdowns looks like a strong bet. If the Rams incorporate him at all in the passing game he could rival a healthy Le'Veon Bell for RB1 honors. As explosive as he is, he should be getting 3-4 receptions per game guaranteed. Ridiculous that the Rams haven't figured that out yet.
If they were in the playoff hunt, or if was further removed from knee surgery, I'm guessing they would have used him more in the passing game. No need the past couple weeks though, really.
I disagree in that the more you do it now the more ingrained it becomes for him and your offense going forward. Besides, I also don't think it's extremely difficult to call 3-4 screen passes a game, especially when you have a limited QB who can use all the help he can get. Just seems like basic coaching to me.
See your point. Just don't think Gurley will have any trouble with it next year.The coaches are morons though. That does worry me.

See your point. Just don't think Gurley will have any trouble with it next year.The coaches are morons though. That does worry me.
Yeah I'm always concerned when coaches can't figure out the easy things to do. I think Gurley's proven he's a natural receiver who excels in the open field. That's why it's so odd they won't use him more in that capacity. It's not like they're the Cardinals or an explosive offense. They struggle to get first downs. Finding ways to get Gurley the ball more than just busting him between the tackles should be Priority No. 1 every game.

So much of Gurley's 2016 value will reside with the improvements the Rams make. They need help everywhere on offense but if they can at least find a competent QB and improve the O line Gurley should be set for a terrific season.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Buy, sell, or hold in dynasty?
The only way I would sell Gurley in a dynasty league is if the package was so ridiculous that people might think there was collusion or something fishy going on. It's needs to be that good. Buy him if you can. I doubt anyone is parting with him though. He's a once a decade talent.

The only way I would sell Gurley in a dynasty league is if the package was so ridiculous that people might think there was collusion or something fishy going on. It's needs to be that good. Buy him if you can. I doubt anyone is parting with him though. He's a once a decade talent.
I agree with this. My two cents is the minor pet peeve I have when I hear someone say, "Player X is untradeable for me". Using Gurley in this example, does that mean if someone offered you LeVeon Bell and Julio Jones for him you'd say 'no'? Or Bell, Julio and Beckham?

I agree with this. My two cents is the minor pet peeve I have when I hear someone say, "Player X is untradeable for me". Using Gurley in this example, does that mean if someone offered you LeVeon Bell and Julio Jones for him you'd say 'no'? Or Bell, Julio and Beckham?
I guess you would have to ask them if they meant it literally or figuratively. I assume most would take either of those deals regardless of how much they love Gurley. Unless they love losing more

I guess you would have to ask them if they meant it literally or figuratively. I assume most would take either of those deals regardless of how much they love Gurley. Unless they love losing more
No one in his right mind would ever offer you a package like that. That is ridiculous. So if some people say he is untradeable, I get it. It is sort of like saying you would never cheat on your wife UNLESS Salma Hayek agreed to sleep with you then all bets are off. Translation? You will never cheat on your wife because Salma is never walking through that door. Some guys are willing to cheat and trade him. Thats fine. But many are not unless the perfect storm happens when there have been 0 perfect storms to date. Ever. Deals like that don't happen in leagues worth their weight.

I'm with Gandalf. But I bet there is a league somewhere that has a team so stacked at WR that they could make a real run at him if the owner was similarly stacked at RB. I can tell you in my situation and knowing my league rosters, he's a Blue Ribbon 4lyfe, yo.

Gurley is near untradeable and I would take either of those deals in a heartbeat. The thing is you aren't going to find an owner willing to do that. So for most 'fair' deals I would not trade him. Both of the deals above are the type of deals I was referring to in my last post. Most people would think something fishy was going on...

For people still playing dailys or whatever, it is looking like it is possible Gurley sits this week. He was hurt late in the Seahawks game.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/boras-taking-nothing-for-granted-in-new-duties/article_22c67d5b-f8d3-5bb4-9ca5-a80bfa488d01.html

A new addition to the injury report was running back Todd Gurley, who was listed with a foot injury and did not practice Wednesday. Fisher wasn’t as definitive on Gurley’s status for San Francisco.

“We left him back at the hotel,” Fisher said. “He’s getting some treatment on his foot and we’ll see where he is.”

For people still playing dailys or whatever, it is looking like it is possible Gurley sits this week. He was hurt late in the Seahawks game.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/boras-taking-nothing-for-granted-in-new-duties/article_22c67d5b-f8d3-5bb4-9ca5-a80bfa488d01.html

A new addition to the injury report was running back Todd Gurley, who was listed with a foot injury and did not practice Wednesday. Fisher wasn’t as definitive on Gurley’s status for San Francisco.

“We left him back at the hotel,” Fisher said. “He’s getting some treatment on his foot and we’ll see where he is.”
Better keep this thread going as the week progresses on Gurley. His matchup with the 49ers is too juicy not to have him in the lineup.

Better keep this thread going as the week progresses on Gurley. His matchup with the 49ers is too juicy not to have him in the lineup.
Is Mason the guy who benefits or is it too muddy with him and Cunningham? I haven't been following Gurley much because I don't own him and no other Rams RB has done anything since Gurley took over. Seems like Mason has gotten a lot more touches since week 1 when Mason and Gurley were out.

Odd list... Freeman before Gurley... Abdullah makes the list at #10 but David Johnson and Langford don't?
Fabiano and the folks over at NFL.com arent exactly cutting edge. If you are relying on them for information shame on you.
Odd list... Freeman before Gurley... Abdullah makes the list at #10 but David Johnson and Langford don't?
Fabiano and the folks over at NFL.com arent exactly cutting edge. If you are relying on them for information shame on you.
I would highly recommend the Move the Sticks podcast/youtube which is basically an NFL.com run production. It's not fantasy, but it's great football talk and you will pick up nice fantasy nuggets from time inside that football talk.

Fabiano and his ilk are not ill-informed or terrible at fantasy, it's just that their information and show is geared to free NFL.com leagues. Old school stuff like no-PPR, no money leagues, players on waivers you never see in money leagues. So for me it's worthless, but does not mean they suck.

As for that article by Billick it needs some context.

I love Gurley and also took exception to him being listed behind Freeman. I've heard Billick give two interviews discussing the article and both times he addressed this as he also briefly did in the write up. Boils down to fact he believes Freeman and Bell are two best receiving RB's in the league, says he thinks both could play WR and while he's not saying Gurley can't function highly in the passing game he's saying he's not seen it yet and that's the reason he has Freeman over him.

As for David Johnson that article was published after he had only started 2 games I think, 3 at most but I'd venture to guess based on timing of article it was written up after 2 starts. To me, since Billick puts so much stock in pass receiving ability those two games should have been enough to bump him in the top 10 but I can also see why a RB from a small non-descript college with a small NFL sample size was not enough at the time to convince Billlick he was worthy of top 10. I'd also guess if he was writing this article today he'd be in it.

I don't have an issue with the Langford omission nor would I have an issue if he was in over Abdullah, close call to me based on what I think they will do, not on what they have done.

When it comes to fantasy football, NFL.com is the last place you go for advice. News and other stories, of course. But I will never set my lineup to suggestions made by these commercial clowns. By the time they get hold of information, real sharks have already made the move. Truth.

Gurley missed practice again today and the Rams promoted a RB from the practice squad which would seem to be a strong indication he won't play. What a kick in the nads.

menobrown said:
georg013 said:
DropKick said:
georg013 said:
DropKick said:
I would highly recommend the Move the Sticks podcast/youtube which is basically an NFL.com run production. It's not fantasy, but it's great football talk and you will pick up nice fantasy nuggets from time inside that football talk.

Fabiano and his ilk are not ill-informed or terrible at fantasy, it's just that their information and show is geared to free NFL.com leagues. Old school stuff like no-PPR, no money leagues, players on waivers you never see in money leagues. So for me it's worthless, but does not mean they suck.

I love Gurley and also took exception to him being listed behind Freeman. I've heard Billick give two interviews discussing the article and both times he addressed this as he also briefly did in the write up. Boils down to fact he believes Freeman and Bell are two best receiving RB's in the league, says he thinks both could play WR and while he's not saying Gurley can't function highly in the passing game he's saying he's not seen it yet and that's the reason he has Freeman over him.

As for David Johnson that article was published after he had only started 2 games I think, 3 at most but I'd venture to guess based on timing of article it was written up after 2 starts. To me, since Billick puts so much stock in pass receiving ability those two games should have been enough to bump him in the top 10 but I can also see why a RB from a small non-descript college with a small NFL sample size was not enough at the time to convince Billlick he was worthy of top 10. I'd also guess if he was writing this article today he'd be in it.

I don't have an issue with the Langford omission nor would I have an issue if he was in over Abdullah, close call to me based on what I think they will do, not on what they have done.
I've never read the stuff at NFL.com, so this isn't a smart ### question, but if they're geared to non-PPR, why do they put so much stock in receiving abilities?

menobrown said:
georg013 said:
DropKick said:
georg013 said:
DropKick said:

I've never read the stuff at NFL.com, so this isn't a smart ### question, but if they're geared to non-PPR, why do they put so much stock in receiving abilities?
I've never read stuff at NFL.com either but this article has nothing to with fantasy football. Billick puts stock in receiving abilities because he likes all purpose RB's. Brian Billick is not a fantasy writer or trying to help your fantasy team.

Keep this in mind when assessing the dynasty value of Gurley. One NFL year and 3 games missed due to injury (likely to miss week17) and he tore his ACL in his last year in college.

I would not say he is injury prone yet but he is getting close. Durability might become an issue with him.

I would rather David Johnson moving forward personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep this in mind when assessing the dynasty value of Gurley. One NFL year and 3 games missed due to injury (likely to miss week17) and he tore his ACL in his last year in college.

I would not say he is injury prone yet but he is getting close. Durability might become an issue with him.

So is every RB. Adjust your overall dynasty rankings accordingly (just like every RB), but not your RB rankings.

DAvid Johnson moving forward?

So is every RB. Adjust your overall dynasty rankings accordingly (just like every RB), but not your RB rankings.

What is so hard to understand about David Johnson moving forward?

I would rather have David Johnson from now on in Dynasty leagues. Yes Gurley outperformed Johnson this year due to opportunity but from now on for the balance of their careers I would rather David Johnson. At the end of the day I think he posts better career numbers.

David Johnson has yet to miss one game in college or the NFL due to injury,. Not every RB carries the same injury risk.

Is Arian Foster the same as Frank Gore in terms of injury risk?

I would rather have David Johnson from now on in Dynasty leagues. Yes Gurley outperformed Johnson this year due to opportunity but from now on for the balance of their careers I would rather David Johnson. At the end of the day I think he posts better career numbers.
You could be right but DJ is almost 3 years older than Gurley. Also he only has a 4 game sample of production without the pedigree of Gurley.

At this stage i think it's pretty crazy to value DJ higher than Gurley, but anything can happen and am open to it being possible.

You could be right but DJ is almost 3 years older than Gurley. Also he only has a 4 game sample of production without the pedigree of Gurley.

At this stage i think it's pretty crazy to value DJ higher than Gurley, but anything can happen and am open to it being possible.
Ditto

Anything is possible, but some things that are possible are highly improbable. This is one of them.

Do you have any doubt that if David Johnson had started as many games as Gurley this year his numbers would have blown Gurleys numbers out of the water. I do not. Yes Johnson plays in a much better offense but he also is a much more accomplished receiver and has proven to be more durable so far.

I see Gurley as a potential #1 pick next season in re-drafts. I also see him as a huge bust candidate.

Ditto

Anything is possible, but some things that are possible are highly improbable. This is one of them.
I would make a bet on it.

Do you have any doubt that if David Johnson had started as many games as Gurley his numbers would have blown Gurleys numbers out of the water. I do not. Yes Johnson plays in a much better offense but he also amuch more accomplished receiver and has proven to be more durable so far.
Do you have any doubt that if Gurley didn't blow his knee up last year that Gurley himself would have blown Gurley's numbers out of the water? I do not.

I am not knocking anything about Gurley regarding the passing game until he has a healthy offseason with the team.

You must own JOhnson and be looking to get Gurley or something. More power to ya, just know you are in the incredibly overwhelming minority on this one. Doesn't mean you're "wrong", but I see no good logic whatsoever for ranking Johnson over Gurley.

Do you have any doubt that if David Johnson had started as many games as Gurley his numbers would have blown Gurleys numbers out of the water. I do not. Yes Johnson plays in a much better offense but he also amuch more accomplished receiver and has proven to be more durable so far.
Do you have any doubt that if Gurley didn't blow his knee up last year that Gurley himself would have blown Gurley's numbers out of the water? I do not.

I am not knocking anything about Gurley regarding the passing game until he has a healthy offseason with the team.

You must own JOhnson and be looking to get Gurley or something. More power to ya, just know you are in the incredibly overwhelming minority on this one. Doesn't mean you're "wrong", but I see no good logic whatsoever for ranking Johnson over Gurley.
I do not play in Dynasty leagues and honestly I dont follow college football that closely. I just assess players as I see them in the NFL. Gurley is good no doubt but injuries are starting to become the norm for this guy. What is the injury he is dealing with now? lisfranc?

David Johnson does not have a "norm" because he has barely played. Whether or not players get hurt in college doesn't mean much when translating to the NFL.

What is Gurley's injury now? Lisfranc?? That would be the first anyone is hearing of it. His availability this week is pretty meaningless. It is week 17 and they can't make the playoffs. If I was the Rams I would sit him even if he was 100% healthy. His body is probably pretty beat down from rehab and coming back and doing as much work as he has done this year. He needs the rest, and also to no aggravate anything in his foot in a meaningless game.

This is such a horrible conversation that I am ashamed to have been shtick-ed into. My bad

I do not play in Dynasty leagues and honestly I dont follow college football that closely. I just assess players as I see them in the NFL. Gurley is good no doubt but injuries are starting to become the norm for this guy. What is the injury he is dealing with now? lisfranc?
Here is how i look at it.

Gurley

- born 8/3/94

- 5 star recruit out of HS

- performed at an elite level in college vs top notch competition

- drafted in top 10 of the NFL draft in an era when RB's have been devalued in the draft

- performed at an elite level in the NFL on a horrendous team

DJ

- born 12/16/91

- low level recruit out of HS

- performed at a high level in college vs low level competition

- drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL draft

- performed at an elite level for for a 4 game sample as a starter on a SB caliber team

I just think Gurley is a far far better bet based on the information we have at this stage. I like DJ a lot, i think he could be great, but he's a much bigger risk at this stage. I just don't get why someone would value him over Gurley in a dynasty league at this point in time.

- performed at an elite level for for a 4 game sample as a starter on a SB caliber team

I just think Gurley is a far far better bet based on the information we have at this stage. I like DJ a lot, i think he could be great, but he's a much bigger risk at this stage. I just don't get why someone would value him over Gurley in a dynasty league at this point in time.
I would also say Gurley "looks better", but people hate hearing that and prefer hard factual data.

Have I missed an injury? Or are we double dipping the ACL for college and NFL? I think it is way too early to start screaming injury prone, unless of course you are the chicken little type. If anything, we should be worried about David Johnson declining in 3 years since he is nearly 25 as a rookie.

Here is how i look at it.

Gurley

- born 8/3/94

- 5 star recruit out of HS

- performed at an elite level in college vs top notch competition

- drafted in top 10 of the NFL draft in an era when RB's have been devalued in the draft

- performed at an elite level in the NFL on a horrendous team

DJ

- born 12/16/91

- low level recruit out of HS

- performed at a high level in college vs low level competition

- drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL draft

The fact of the matter is, BOTH have now performed at the highest level, the NFL.

True, as "ILuvbeer" has pointed out, Gurley may have gotten it done in college at a high level also, but the fact is both have now proven all they need to at the NFL level.

I like the future for both these guys, I really do.

In fact if I happen upon owning either in redraft next year I will be extremely pleased.

(but I probably won't own either one, I'd rather spend my early picks on stud WRs)

If I had my pick of either one in dynasty???

I think I'd slightly prefer David Johnson.

I know thats not in the majority, but I don't mind that.

You have two guys that are likely the "cream of the crop", and even though Gurley has a better track record in college, both have excelled at the NFL level.

I personally think they are both close........ but Gurley may have a slight edge as far as what he has done so far, especially in college.

DJ on the other hand, has looked very damn good, and even if we give a slight edge to Gurley, and his college performance, I would just as soon have DJ.

In what seems to be a "close race", in that I think his lack of major injury history (and being on a better offense) gives him an edge I would rather have on my side and on my team, if that makes sense.

Lets be fair gang...

Both are pretty much top notch, and if both are healthy, then owning either one is a great scenario.

Just give me the one that has a better health slate, and he is on a better offense also, for the next few years to boot.

I doubt I will own either, but when next year rolls around, I would love to get DJ and a top end WR, if I am drafting late in drafts. (DJ/Gurley + top end WR if i'm last or near the last + swing pick)

The fact of the matter is, if he has a HUGE end of season run, and the Cardinals head to the Super Bowl, then his price will be too high for me, I see him going late first round if that happens.

As huge a fan as I am of David Johnson, thats going to be too steep for me.

As odd as it sounds, Gurley may yet turn out to be the better value.

Look, him being relatively "quiet" the last few weeks may be a blessing in disguise for us serious FF players next year when the drafts crank up.

I just hope the hype stays down on both, but in the case of DJ it can only get bigger.

TZM

Wow, two people in the world have Johnson over Gurley. Two more than I would have anticipated.

I can't even see having him over Gurley for redraft next year let alone dynasty.

And you guys need to stop with the "been more healthy" crap with Johnson. He hasn't played nearly enough to say that about him, at all.

I am done with this one, but wow. I mean, just wow. I simply do not see any logic pointing towards Johnson over Gurley here. This would be one of the most outlandish non shtick ranking claims I have ever seen on FBG.

Wow, two people in the world have Johnson over Gurley. Two more than I would have anticipated.

I can't even see having him over Gurley for redraft next year let alone dynasty.

And you guys need to stop with the "been more healthy" crap with Johnson. He hasn't played nearly enough to say that about him, at all.

I am done with this one, but wow. I mean, just wow. I simply do not see any logic pointing towards Johnson over Gurley here. This would be one of the most outlandish non shtick ranking claims I have ever seen on FBG.
Its not a matter of "been more healthy" with Johnson. Try and grasp what I am about to say.

Its like this, one has had a major injury , and the other has not.

Period, end of story.

Argue as you might, get pissed, try and prove otherwise, its simply not the case.

The fact of the matter is, these two guys are extremely close , as many are willing to admit at this point, then give me the one who has not faded a torn ACL.

Oh wait, let us also realize DJ is on a better offense to boot huh..... does that mean anything?

I will take either one, but in what is looking to resemble a coin flip, give me the one that is not coming off a major injury, and is on a better offense to boot.

(but thats ok, go ahead and argue like you typically do, spout all the college stats, and your personal feelings)

I said explicitly that having either one (I would be more than satisfied with either), but I never will own either as their price will be too high.

In fact I don't foresee a scenario where I will draft ANY RB in the first round next year,.... just as I have drafted the last few years I will be taking big ticket WRs.

TZM

Actually no, DJ being on the better offense means nothing to me. Gurley is so much more talented than him that it doesn't matter to me. Talent over situation in dynasty in almost all cases.

Not sure why you are telling me to spout college stats. I have NEVER brought up college stats because college stats are skewed much of the time.

HIs ACL looks just fine by the way, in case you weren't watching.

I don't see this close. At all. Just my opinion

Actually no, DJ being on the better offense means nothing to me. Gurley is so much more talented than him that it doesn't matter to me. Talent over situation in dynasty in almost all cases.

Not sure why you are telling me to spout college stats. I have NEVER brought up college stats because college stats are skewed much of the time.

HIs ACL looks just fine by the way, in case you weren't watching.

You are right, his ACL looks fine.

But if I have two players, that are very close, then give me the one NOT coming off major injury.

Look, I get it, I really do. Injuries are fluky and very hard to predict.

I'm just saying personally, I'd rather have the guy that doesn't have that injury on his track record.

The fact that he is on a much better offense should be yet another reason to like him, if it were a close pick.

Beyond that, if you are saying that DJ being on the better offense means nothing to me ....well thats silly and "short sighted" at best.

Are you saying his "superior talent" which it seems you believe he has, can overcome him being on a bad offense? :D

Regardless, I'm not looking for an argument, it seems as if people want to split hairs sometimes on this board, and this is looking to be a classic case of just that.

The fact is, both are extremely talented, and I wouldn't mind owning either.

If both are healthy next year, there is a great chance they are both top 5 in their positions.

If its an extremely close case, then give me the guy coming off a major injury, and is on a great offense to boot.

Now- IF YOU FEEL GURLEY IS FAR AND AWAY THE BETTER TALENT , then the factors I mentioned might not be enough to overcome that. But thats not really the argument you seem to be making.

I personally don't feel like Gurley is that huge of a talent upgrade over DJ, but time may prove me wrong on that.

One thing is for sure, if DJ keeps having monster games and they go to the Super Bowl, then his price will be extremely expensive next year, and Gurley would be a much better value.

TZM

Now- IF YOU FEEL GURLEY IS FAR AND AWAY THE BETTER TALENT , then the factors I mentioned might not be enough to overcome that. But thats not really the argument you seem to be making.
Um. Seems to be exactly what he's saying. I like DJ but I agree with Gurley being the superior talent, which mitigates offense quality differences...which are variable year to year.

How come Gurley is not listed as a player in the news in our e-mail from FootballsGuys? No downgrades or anything???
Welcome to week 17 for FBGs. Love their service but my 1 week 17 league always shows their massive info hole on the list week. I thought DFS might help but this week is usually a rough week for accurate news outside of seeing someone as inactive.

How come Gurley is not listed as a player in the news in our e-mail from FootballsGuys? No downgrades or anything???
Welcome to week 17 for FBGs. Love their service but my 1 week 17 league always shows their massive info hole on the list week. I thought DFS might help but this week is usually a rough week for accurate news outside of seeing someone as inactive.
I mean you'd think if someone like Gurley is questionable or in a walking boot we'd hear about here in the daily news on FootballGuys? The season for some of us isn't over. I personally have a lot riding on week 17.

Users who are viewing this thread