What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: Top 2013 College Prospects (1 Viewer)

'BeTheMatch said:
'identikit said:
'JohnnyU said:
'EBF said:
'JohnnyU said:
'EBF said:
Says the guy who just drank the Woods Kool-Aid.Allen had more yards in the same conference with a vastly inferior QB and supporting cast. I've seen both guys play several times. I've even seen them both live. Woods is good. Fast and productive. Allen is also good. He was the best player on Cal's team as a true freshman.They'll both probably be first round picks. I like Allen a little more. Having said that, I think he's a "soft" #1. I don't see a Richardson/Blackmon type of player in this rookie crop. I would've taken those guys in the top 3-4 rounds of a dynasty startup last year. Maybe higher for Richardson. This year I only had Allen tabbed as a 6th-7th rounder. I don't see a can't-miss star in the 2013 class yet.
Says the guy who is constantly getting his behind handed to him in dynasty leagues. For someone that claims to know so much about prospects, it doesn't seem to show up in the leagues I'm in with you.
How many leagues am I in with you? One? Might want to double check my teams in HA1 and HA4. I did okay. ;)Let's see how we fare in this new one. I think you've got one of the weakest rosters in the league.
Actually you're in 3 leagues with me and I don't recall you ever winning in the two Hyper Active leagues (HA1 and HA3). I have a title in HA1 and a runner-up in HA3 and I won my division in both this year and I did win 3 dynasty leagues this year. I'm just saying, for someone who claims to know everything about prospects, it hasn't translated to your fantasy teams that I know of. Also, you have both Blackmon and Crabtree on your team in the league we just joined and I think you will regret that. I do like two of your WRs in Green and Nicks. My team is weak in current WRs (only Wallace so far in the draft), but I do have Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods coming up in the next 2 years. I like my RBs more than yours by a large margin and your QB (Schaub) isn't anything to write home about. Look, when you start posts with "Says the guy who just drank the Woods Kool-Aid", you're going to get a factual response in return.
'My team is better than your team! So there!'The Shark Pool deserves better than this.
:goodposting:
And then some. OOff the top. Who are the 25 best college players at WR and RB??Any year. Just trying to determine if grabbing a highschooler is more valuable than grabbing Sammy Watkins or Keenan Allen. And yes. I'm morphing this into an A/C question. Thanks tho?

I love Sammy Watkins and think he is the guy I would take right now over every other wr who is staying in college.

Where would Oklahoma QB Landry Jones fit in with the QBs already mentioned? Didn't see he mentioned in previous posts.

Where would Oklahoma QB Landry Jones fit in with the QBs already mentioned? Didn't see he mentioned in previous posts.
I think he was considered to be a first-round prospect if he had come out this year, but he was inconsistent enough and overshadowed by Luck and RG3 that he decided to go back and see if he could move into the early part of the first next year, along with Barkley.

I think he was considered to be a first-round prospect if he had come out this year, but he was inconsistent enough and overshadowed by Luck and RG3 that he decided to go back and see if he could move into the early part of the first next year, along with Barkley.
I think Jones was considered more a 2nd rounder. He started the year high on people's boards but he fell because of a number of question marks around his game this year. He made the right decision going back to school.

I think Jones was considered more a 2nd rounder. He started the year high on people's boards but he fell because of a number of question marks around his game this year. He made the right decision going back to school.
I heard more than one draft guru talking about how Jones would've likely been taken in the first round in the same way that Ponder, etc., moved up higher than they should because teams always reach for QBs. But that's neither here nor there since he went back to school...

Justin Hunter & Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee.Hunter is an A.J. Green / Randy Moss type receiver. Hunter will be coming back in 2012 from an ACL tear so I'm curious to see how he looks compared to pre-injury. He was down right sick in 2010 and early 2011, pretty much unstoppable. Da'Rick is more Anquan Boldin / Greg Little type. Da'Rick is one of those frustrating players that drops the easiest balls, but then makes some insane catches and is very physical after the catch. He dominated Honey Badger this year in Neyland after the punk talked smack all week about how he would hold DR catch less.Don't roast me. I am not saying these two are as good or will have the same careers as those pros I compared them to, just giving you some insight to their game.
Sounds like this Rogers is a complete nutcase. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up kicked out of school at some point. I'm much higher on Hunter, in spite of the injury.

Sounds like this Rogers is a complete nutcase. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up kicked out of school at some point. I'm much higher on Hunter, in spite of the injury.
What's the scoop on this guy? Keep reading references to character problems, but don't know the story?

What's the scoop on this guy? Keep reading references to character problems, but don't know the story?
I watched his highlights from last season, and after every single play, it seemed, he would get up and talk trash to the opposing player. Stepped over them in a taunting way, just seemed to be a thug.So I went digging for more info and saw that there were rumors since the end of the past season that he had been suspended from the team or even kicked off. No one from the school would comment. Finally, the coach had some press conference saying that it wasn't true, that he was still on the team, but offered no comment beyond that. But reading some of the coverage in local papers, it looks like he was involved in some group melee before where he may or may not have kicked an off-duty police officer in the head. Even the people defending him and saying that isn't true talked about how he just doesn't go to class and has "personality issues." I want nothing to do with this guy. Way too many red flags for me.

Id add a little guy I recently watched when looking at Tannehill.

He played in place of cyrus gray for texas a&m vs Texas.

Ben Malena. 5'8", 190 lbs. I really like how this kid plays.

Pretty thick, and runs with authority. Low center of gravity. . . Keep him in the back of your mind

I watched his highlights from last season, and after every single play, it seemed, he would get up and talk trash to the opposing player. Stepped over them in a taunting way, just seemed to be a thug.So I went digging for more info and saw that there were rumors since the end of the past season that he had been suspended from the team or even kicked off. No one from the school would comment. Finally, the coach had some press conference saying that it wasn't true, that he was still on the team, but offered no comment beyond that. But reading some of the coverage in local papers, it looks like he was involved in some group melee before where he may or may not have kicked an off-duty police officer in the head. Even the people defending him and saying that isn't true talked about how he just doesn't go to class and has "personality issues." I want nothing to do with this guy. Way too many red flags for me.
I follow the team very close. Rogers was not the one that kicked the off duty plain clothes cop. He is a great player that has the WR diva mentality. He is on his last strike and unfortunately I don't see him being on the team in the fall. If he ever matures though, he could be a stud in the NFL.

Just a couple of days after Cal coach Jeff Tedford said star wide receiver Keenan Allen would receive limited reps during spring practice, it turns out he's not going to get any at all.

The first-team All-Pac-12 sophomore will have ankle surgery Thursday and miss all of the spring, Tedford tweeted Wednesday. The Golden Bears start practice Tuesday.

"Keenan will miss Spring Ball due to ankle surgery tomorrow will be back for summer workouts and be fully recovered for the season Go Bears!," Tedford wrote.

According to a school spokesman, Allen injured the ankle "recently" while playing basketball. The injury occurred before Tedford spoke with the media on a conference call Monday, though the extent of the injury was not determined until late Tuesday, after Allen had met with the school's medical staff.

No further details were made available.

During Monday's conversation with the media, Tedford didn't mention any injury to the 6-foot-3, 205-pound receiver, only saying that a lot of the veterans, including Allen, would be limited during the spring session to give younger players an opportunity to practice.

"Keenan will get very limited reps," Tedford said Monday.

Last season, Allen was second in the Pac-12 with 98 catches, behind USC's Robert Woods. He was just one of four receivers in the conference to average more than 100 receiving yards (103.3) a game.

He had six receiving touchdowns and totaled 1,343 yards.

Kevin Gemmell covers the Pac-12 and Stanford for ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7657210/cal-bears-keenan-allen-miss-spring-ankle-surgery

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a couple of days after Cal coach Jeff Tedford said star wide receiver Keenan Allen would receive limited reps during spring practice, it turns out he's not going to get any at all.

The first-team All-Pac-12 sophomore will have ankle surgery Thursday and miss all of the spring, Tedford tweeted Wednesday. The Golden Bears start practice Tuesday.

"Keenan will miss Spring Ball due to ankle surgery tomorrow will be back for summer workouts and be fully recovered for the season Go Bears!," Tedford wrote.

According to a school spokesman, Allen injured the ankle "recently" while playing basketball. The injury occurred before Tedford spoke with the media on a conference call Monday, though the extent of the injury was not determined until late Tuesday, after Allen had met with the school's medical staff.

No further details were made available.

During Monday's conversation with the media, Tedford didn't mention any injury to the 6-foot-3, 205-pound receiver, only saying that a lot of the veterans, including Allen, would be limited during the spring session to give younger players an opportunity to practice.

"Keenan will get very limited reps," Tedford said Monday.

Last season, Allen was second in the Pac-12 with 98 catches, behind USC's Robert Woods. He was just one of four receivers in the conference to average more than 100 receiving yards (103.3) a game.

He had six receiving touchdowns and totaled 1,343 yards.

Kevin Gemmell covers the Pac-12 and Stanford for ESPN.com. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7657210/cal-bears-keenan-allen-miss-spring-ankle-surgery
Wow, he's my #1WR in college. That is bad news.

I've gone back an looked over the 2013 class again and here are my initial thoughts. I like the WR class. I don't think there is an AJ Green in this group, but it's talented and deep. I think there are likely 5 1st rounders right now. I think we are going to see 2 franchise QBs in this class, which also makes the QB group very strong. Barkley coming back was a huge bonus. I'm totally confused when I look at the RBs. It's certainly impacting my top 10 right now as well. After Lattimore (lets hope he recovers well) it appears to be a total mess right now. The RB position usually clears up throughout the season though and several RBs will move up.

My top 10 overall players.

1. Barkely, QB USC

2. Woods, WR USC

3. Allen, WR Cal

4. Bray, QB Tenn

5. Lattimore, RB S. Car

6. Hunter, WR Tenn

7. Wilson, WR WSU

8. Wilson, QB Ark

9. Murray, QB Georgia

10. Rogers, WR Tenn

QBs

Barkely, USC

Bray, Tenn

Wilson, Ark

Murray, Georgia

Jones, Oklahoma

RBs

Lattimore, S. Car

Ball, Wisc

Graham, Pitt

Dyer, Ark St.

Ware, LSU

Randle, Ok St.

Redd, PSU

Lacy, Bama

WRs

Woods, USC

Allen, Cal

Hunter, Tenn

Wilson, WSU

Rogers, Tenn

Yes, I like Woods more than Allen and I'm aware that is not a popular opinion. I feel he is a more natural hands catcher and tracks the ball a bit better than Allen though. Allen is a better athlete. Both are high end prospects and I could easily move Allen ahead after this season, but right now I'm more impressed with Woods.

I follow the team very close. Rogers was not the one that kicked the off duty plain clothes cop. He is a great player that has the WR diva mentality. He is on his last strike and unfortunately I don't see him being on the team in the fall. If he ever matures though, he could be a stud in the NFL.
If he matures, he's a top 15 pick. He was a 5 star recruit and the #1 prospect in the state of Georgia when he was signed IIRC. He's got major talent. I'm trying to figure out if he's got a 10 cent head to go with though. I've tried to watch interviews of the kid and he seems nice enough when he speaking. Not sure what we're all missing on him right now. He could go in the early 1st, or drop our of the 2nd round altogether IMO. We'll see.

Florida State Senior QB EJ Manuel is worth keeping an eye on this year. I know he struggled in 2011 with some injuries and had some issues with consistency; however, he has been touted in a few circles as having some upside and could put together a good year in 2012.

Offense a primary focus for FSU in 2012

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — If Florida State is going to return to the upper echelon of college football in 2012, which it has been trying to do for more than a decade, the Seminoles are going to have to be more explosive on offense.

Last season, FSU ranked No. 4 nationally in scoring defense, allowing only 15 points per game, and ranked among the top 10 in net punting and kickoff returns.

The Seminoles were explosive on defense and special teams during a 9-4 season in 2011, but their offense, because of inexperience and injuries, was far from potent. FSU ranked 39th in scoring (30.6 points per game), 77th in total offense (369.1 yards), 33rd in passing (257 yards) and 104th in rushing (112.1 yards).

“When you’re a great football team, you’ve got to be great in all three phases,” FSU coach Jimbo Fisher said. “There are days on offense when you’re not going to score 35 points. You’ve got to be good in all three phases in case that happens.”

Fisher believes the pieces are in place for FSU to be better on offense this coming season. Quarterback EJ Manuel, who was plagued by shoulder and leg injuries in 2011, is back for his senior season. FSU’s offensive line will be stronger and more experienced after four freshmen started in its 18-14 victory over Notre Dame in the Champs Sports Bowl. Tailback Chris Thompson is back after missing most of last season with a back injury, and the Seminoles will bring back one of the country’s deepest and most talented receiver corps.

As long as the Seminoles stay healthy, Fisher expects his offense to be better in 2012.

“Everything that could have gone wrong on offense last year went wrong,” Fisher said.

FSU’s problems started in spring practice, when it lost starting offensive tackle Andrew Datko to shoulder injuries. Manuel injured his left shoulder in FSU’s 23-13 loss to Oklahoma on Sept. 17 and missed the next game, a 35-30 loss at Clemson. Thompson broke two vertebrae in his back in a 35-30 loss at Wake Forest the next week and missed the rest of the season. Without Thompson, FSU’s running game was never able to get going.

Fisher believes Manuel is the kind of quarterback that can lead FSU to an ACC championship and BCS bowl game. Manuel completed 65.3 percent of his passes for 2,666 yards with 18 touchdowns and eight interceptions and ranked No. 18 nationally in pass efficiency (151.2 rating) last season.

“I don’t know if he played great, but he played pretty well,” Fisher said. “He was banged up. Staying healthy is going to be critical for him this year.”

Manuel, from Virginia Beach, Va., played most of the Champs Sports Bowl after breaking the fibula in his left leg. The injury hasn’t completely healed, but Manuel is expected to participate in most of spring practice.

“It will be fine,” Manuel said. “It really doesn’t hurt much because it’s not a weight-bearing bone. It was really painful when I was hurt, but I didn’t know it was broken. I thought it was like a deep thigh bruise.”

Fisher said Manuel earned the respect of his teammates by playing with a broken leg in the bowl game.

“He’s very tough and very competitive,” Fisher said. “He plays with pain really well. The team always comes before ‘me’ with him, which is a great quality.”

Manuel will have plenty of weapons at his disposal. The Seminoles’ top four receivers – Rashad Greene, Rodney Smith, Christian Green and Kenny Shaw each caught more than 25 passes last season – are coming back. Fisher said junior Willie Haulstead, who missed last season with a concussion, and redshirt freshman Kelvin Benjamin might be as good as any of FSU’s returning receivers. Benjamin, from Belle Glade, Fla., is 6 feet 6 and 242 pounds.

“I’m extremely excited about these freshmen we have coming in,” Manuel said. “Guys that were young last year like Rashad Greene and Kenny Shaw are going to be better. Our offensive line is going to be more experienced and it needs to get stronger, which they’re doing.”

Finding depth at tailback and solidifying the offensive line are FSU’s priorities this spring. Thompson is expected to participate in spring practice, and sophomore Devonta Freeman is working his way back from a lower back injury. Freshman tailback Mario Pender, of Cape Coral, Fla., enrolled at FSU in January and will also compete in spring practice.

Keeping Manuel healthy will be FSU’s priority when the season begins.

“Last year was frustrating, but I think it’s something you build character from,” Manuel said. “Injuries are a part of the game. You’re never going to be healthy. You’ve got to play whether you’re 80 or 90 percent or 20 percent. If you’re going to play, you have to go out there with the mindset to win.”

RBsLattimore, S. CarBall, WiscGraham, PittDyer, Ark St.Ware, LSURandle, Ok St.Redd, PSULacy, Bama
Knile Davis?
I should have mentioned him but forgot. I'm holding off on ranking him for now. Want to see how his recovery went 1st.
Sounds like it is going quite well.3/13/2012 at 8:00amImage by Mark WagnerArkansas coaches are still evaluating if running back Knile Davis is ready for contact this spring. Davis missed 2011 with a broken left ankle.HARRISON — Arkansas running back Knile Davis clocked the fastest 40-yard dash on the team during pre-spring practice testing. He has set multiple personal records in the weight room and Coach Bobby Petrino declares Davis is “100 percent and completely healed.”Davis, who missed last season with a fractured left ankle, might still not be ready for contact when spring practice begins Wednesday. Coaches continue to evaluate Davis and Petrino said during a Razorback Club event here that contact might not come at all during the 15 spring practices.“It’s a decision we’ll make of when is he ready mentally for it,” Petrino said. “That’s the key. You need to get out there and move around and be with bodies around you and make sure that mentally you’re ready and focused for when you’re going to get hit.“So I don’t know if we’ll do that this spring or wait until next fall. We really haven’t made a decision yet.”Davis seemed poised for a big season before he went down during contact drills last fall. He was injured seven plays into the first scrimmage and was unable to build on a 2010 sophomore year in which he ran for 1,362 yards and 13 touchdowns.Petrino said Davis recently ran a 4.33 in the 40-yard dash during last week's testing, a blistering time for a 226-pound running back. Recently Davis said he is healthy and ready to play in a game.“I’m ready, man,” Davis said in an interview with the school's official web site. “I was telling Dennis Johnson the other day I can’t wait to play a game. I’m tired of being in that weight room. Man, I just want to get on that field. I’m anxious and I can’t wait for August to get here.”It is likely seniors Dennis Johnson and Ronnie Wingo Jr. will get the bulk of work in the backfield during spring practice. Both filled in for Davis, but the Razorbacks struggled to consistently run the ball without Davis. Arkansas finished ninth in the SEC in rushing at 138.1 yards per game in 2011.Petrino said he is anxious to see Davis in the same backfield with fullback Kiero Small. Arkansas was rarely able to run its two-back offense last fall. Having Davis back will allow the Razorbacks to be more versatile offensively.“I think we have a better chance of executing that,” Petrino said. “That wasn’t a big part of our offense last year as it had been in the past. So we need to get back and do some of that and that helps you run the ball.”

Crazy all the injuries in this class: Lattimore, Hunter, Graham, K. Davis, Bray and now the news on K. Allen.

Not for '13.....but keep an eye on incoming Alabama freshman TJ Yeldon.

The 6'2", 200-pound RB was a top 15 recruit....lit up the spring game this weekend with 200 total yards (100 receiving)....and has been getting rave reviews from Saban, who called him his only 'complete back'.

Crazy all the injuries in this class: Lattimore, Hunter, Graham, K. Davis, Bray and now the news on K. Allen.
While not on the level of those guys, Paul Richardson would have been a draftable prospect. He just blew out his knee. Done for the season.

Tavon Austin, WR- I think he turns into a very good pro slot WR/All-purpose WR. I'm picturing a better rookie season Eddie Royal and a similar look/upside to that rookie season in Denver. The resume dating back to HS and at WVU is impressive and he's just settling in to WR and still developing his WR game, but for an NFL slot WR there may not be anyone smoother, faster and with a quicker twitch in small spaces than him. Seems like a great PPR WR. He needs to be in these conversations for top 2013 WRs though.

This time next yr we will be debating if Lattimore or K Davis is the better of 2 elite rb prospects after Davis has an equally good season statistically and then blows up the combine

This time next yr we will be debating if Lattimore or K Davis is the better of 2 elite rb prospects after Davis has an equally good season statistically and then blows up the combine
Both of them have some pretty serious injury obstacles to overcome first, especially Knile

Both of them have some pretty serious injury obstacles to overcome first, especially Knile
Agreed, Knile has upside, but reading that he's broken his ankle 3 times, makes me extremely cautious due to the potential of this being a repeat/chronic problem. (I have no medical knowledge, but my enthusiasm is definitely tempered after reading this blurb in SI."The broken ankle was his third dating back to high school, and he's also broken his collar bone before. Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/03/13/arkansas-davis.ap/index.html#ixzz1sPFGJwsq

'DansRams said:
I think the bigger question is whether there are ANY elite RB prospects in next year's draft.I wasn't really sold on either of those guys before their injuries, and their value has only dropped since then.

The guy Im curious to monitor is Marquess Wilson from Wash St. I traded up from 1.4 devy pick to 1.2 to ensure I get Woods, Allen, and Lattimore. (I already had 1.1/1.3 and K. Davis from last year), but some mocks have Wilson as a top 15 pick. May regret that deal next year. I am really high on Allen, Woods, Davis and Lattimore though. I think they all look like the real deal. Woods size concerns me some...

The guy Im curious to monitor is Marquess Wilson from Wash St. I traded up from 1.4 devy pick to 1.2 to ensure I get Woods, Allen, and Lattimore. (I already had 1.1/1.3 and K. Davis from last year), but some mocks have Wilson as a top 15 pick. May regret that deal next year. I am really high on Allen, Woods, Davis and Lattimore though. I think they all look like the real deal. Woods size concerns me some...
Wow, I've never even heard of that kid before, but he looks real good. His route running looks really good for a 6'3 sophomore, and his ball skills also look great. He definitely needs to put on some weight though, he's pretty well just a stick at 6'3 180lbs.

'Time Kibitzer said:
'Heep said:
Wow, I've never even heard of that kid before, but he looks real good. His route running looks really good for a 6'3 sophomore, and his ball skills also look great. He definitely needs to put on some weight though, he's pretty well just a stick at 6'3 180lbs.
That's what I was thinking too. I did pick him up earlier this year in one of my developmental drafts.

Been looking harder at this class.

Got some new names on my list.

More on that in about 4 months (after my dev drafts are over).

:)

I've gone back an looked over the 2013 class again and here are my initial thoughts. I like the WR class. I don't think there is an AJ Green in this group, but it's talented and deep. I think there are likely 5 1st rounders right now. I think we are going to see 2 franchise QBs in this class, which also makes the QB group very strong. Barkley coming back was a huge bonus. I'm totally confused when I look at the RBs. It's certainly impacting my top 10 right now as well. After Lattimore (lets hope he recovers well) it appears to be a total mess right now. The RB position usually clears up throughout the season though and several RBs will move up.

My top 10 overall players.

1. Barkely, QB USC

2. Woods, WR USC

3. Allen, WR Cal

4. Bray, QB Tenn

5. Lattimore, RB S. Car

6. Hunter, WR Tenn

7. Wilson, WR WSU

8. Wilson, QB Ark

9. Murray, QB Georgia

10. Rogers, WR Tenn

QBs

Barkely, USC

Smith, WVU

Bray, Tenn

Wilson, Ark

Boyd, Clemson

Murray, Georgia

Jones, Oklahoma

RBs

Lattimore, S. Car

Ball, Wisc

Graham, Pitt

Dyer, Ark St.

Ware, LSU

Randle, Ok St.

Redd, PSU

Lacy, Bama

WRs

Woods, USC

Allen, Cal

Hunter, Tenn

Wilson, WSU

Rogers, Tenn

Bailey, WVU

Austin, WVU

Yes, I like Woods more than Allen and I'm aware that is not a popular opinion. I feel he is a more natural hands catcher and tracks the ball a bit better than Allen though. Allen is a better athlete. Both are high end prospects and I could easily move Allen ahead after this season, but right now I'm more impressed with Woods.
fixed

2013 NFL Draft: USC's Barkley, Woods among top 30 prospects

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

With the 2012 NFL Draft in the books, scouts are already casting their eyes toward next year's crop of talent. Although this list represents just a starting point in the process, here are the top 30 college players evaluators will study in the fall:

(*Denotes underclassmen)

1. Matt Barkley, USC, QB: After bypassing an opportunity to enter the draft as a likely top-10 pick a season ago, Barkley is listed atop most draft boards as the No. 1 senior prospect. He has shown the ability to masterfully orchestrate a pro-style offense that puts a lot of responsibility on the quarterback at the line, but he needs to continue honing his throwing mechanics and arm strength to solidify his status as the potential No.1 pick.

2. Marcus Lattimore*, South Carolina, RB: How well Lattimore recovers from his season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury will ultimately determine his status as one of college football's top players. Evaluators are certainly impressed with his combination of size, strength and power. He bulls through defenders between the tackles, but also displays the burst to take it the distance on perimeter runs.

3. Robert Woods*, USC, WR: The Trojans have routinely featured some of the country's top receivers, and Woods is certainly carrying on the tradition with his extraordinary performance. He has dominated the Pac-12 over the past two seasons, and few receivers can rival his extraordinary ball skills. With the increased prominence of the passing game in the NFL, scouts will keep an eye on Woods' development over the next few years.

4. Jarvis Jones*, Georgia, OLB: Jones is the most dynamic pass rusher in college football. He possesses explosive first-step quickness and burst, and flashes the balance and body control needed to blow past blockers around the corner. While he is still learning the finer points of the position in pass coverage, Jones' ability to completely dominate the game as a pass rusher makes him a valued commodity in the eyes of evaluators.

5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma, QB: Jones was pegged as a potential first-round pick a year ago, but wisely elected to return to college to refine a few aspects of his game. He struggled with some of his decisions under pressure in 2011 and didn't display consistent accuracy or ball placement. Although those deficiencies have prompted scouts to downgrade him a bit, Jones is an undeniable A-list talent capable of vaulting to the top of the list by the end of next season.

6. Manti Te'o, Notre Dame, ILB: Inside linebackers aren't routinely valued at a premium, given the proliferation of the passing game at the pro level, but Te'o is a special player with extraordinary skills. He is athletic enough to roam freely from sideline to sideline against the run or pass while also providing a stout presence within the box. Given his unique skills and versatility, Te'o could emerge as a blue-chip talent by season's end.

7. Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin, OT: The Badgers traditionally feature big, physical offensive tackles with solid technical skills. Wagner certainly fits that mold and shines on the outside in isolated matchups. Although he still needs to clean up some of the rough patches in his game, Wagner is a franchise-caliber offensive tackle to keep an eye on in 2012.

8. Alex Okafor, Texas, DE: It's hard to find long, rangy edge defenders adept at playing the run and pass, but Okafor shows signs of being a special player. He excels at utilizing his length and athleticism to defeat blockers at the point of attack, and his remarkable closing burst allows him to hunt down quarterbacks from the backside. He also displays a non-stop motor that allows him to win consistently with energy and effort.

9. David Amerson*, North Carolina State, CB: Big, athletic corners with the instincts and movement skills to excel in "off" coverage are rare, but Amerson is looking like the exception to the rule after putting on a spectacular showing as a sophomore. He picked off 11 passes in 2011 and displayed game-changing skills that put the Wolfpack star square in the sights of evaluators.

10. Sam Montgomery*, LSU, DE/OLB: Montgomery is a pass-rushing specialist with explosive first-step quickness and burst. He shows the ability to bend and burst around the corner with balance and body control, but needs to continue to expand his pass-rush repertoire. If he can do that while also improving as a run defender, Montgomery could develop into a difference-maker that NFL coaches covet in a few years.

11. Star Lotulelei, Utah, DT

12. Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State, CB

13. Kawann Short, Purdue, DT

14. Oday Aboushi, Virginia, OT

15. Tyrann Mathieu*, LSU, CB

16. John Simon, Ohio State, DE

17. Tyler Wilson, Arkansas, QB

18. Montee Ball, Wisconsin, RB

19. Dion Jordan, Oregon, DE

20. Terrance Williams, Baylor, WR

21. Jackson Jeffcoat*, Texas, DE

22. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina, ILB

23. T.J. McDonald, USC, S

24. Geno Smith, West Virginia, QB

25. Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami, S

26. Keenan Allen*, Cal, WR

27. Christine Michael, Texas A&M, RB

28. Joseph Fauria, UCLA, TE

29. Johnny Adams, Michigan State, CB

30. EJ Manuel, Florida State, QB

2013 NFL Draft: Top five prospects by position

By Chad Reuter NFL Network

Excerpt:

You might think the end of the NFL draft is a somber moment for those of us that cover the event throughout the season.

It's actually the opposite.

After studying and analyzing the same players over the past 12 months, getting to know next year's collection of prospects in May and June is refreshing. The same games examined multiple times in anticipation of this draft become almost brand new, as the focus changes to different matchups and areas of the field.

Here are five college players per position I'll be watching more closely over the summer and certainly keeping a close eye on next fall.

*Denotes underclassmen

Quarterbacks

1. Matt Barkley, USC, 6-foot-2/230 pounds

2. Tyler Wilson, Arkansas, 6-3/220

3. E.J. Manuel, Florida State, 6-5/238

4. *Tyler Bray, Tennessee, 6-6/213

T-5. *Aaron Murray, Georgia, 6-1/211

T-5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma, 6-4/229

Barkley's the likely top dog here because of his pedigree and ability to run a pro-style offense, but it could be a very deep group if Wilson keeps the Razorbacks machine on the move without Bobby Petrino on campus and the strong-armed Manuel and Bray fulfill their potential.

Running Backs

1. *Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina, 6-0/218

2. Kenjon Barner, Oregon, 5-11/195

3. Montee Ball, Wisconsin, 5-11/212

4. Christine Michael, Texas A&M, 5-11/213

5. Andre Ellington, Clemson, 5-10/190

Even though Lattimore is coming off a left knee injury, he is the most talented back in the country. The depth here is severely lacking in terms of elite talent, though the speed of Barner and Ellington and power of Ball and Michael (if he can stay healthy) will intrigue scouts.

Wide Receivers

1. *Robert Woods, USC, 6-1/190

2. *Keenan Allen, California, 6-3/206

3. *Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee, 6-3/208

4. Terrance Williams, Baylor, 6-3/205

5. Keenan Davis, Iowa, 6-3/215

Woods' speed and agility will aid Barkley's Heisman campaign -- just as Rogers (and teammate Justin Hunter, if healthy) could with Bray if Tennessee becomes a surprise contender in the SEC East. Allen should finally get his due as a playmaker this season, while Williams hopes the departure of Robert Griffin III doesn't hurt his production significantly.

Tight Ends

1. *Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame, 6-6/251

2. Joseph Fauria, UCLA ,6-7/258

3. *Zach Ertz, Stanford, 6-6/249

4. Jake Stoneburner, Ohio State, 6-5/245

5. Philip Lutzenkirchen, Auburn, 6-5/250

There will be more tight ends for scouts to choose from in next year's draft. The athletic Eifert and Fauria are potential first-round picks, while Ertz, Stoneburner and Lutzenkirchen are all likely to be starting in the NFL sooner than later.

Top 32 for 2013: Barkley headlines a class that already looks deep

By Pete Prisco | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

Quarterbacks, pass rushers, offensive tackles and cornerbacks are the keys for any team trying to win a Super Bowl.

The NFL has become an "air" league, which means the value for those four positions has escalated to even new heights.

That's why the 2013 NFL Draft has a chance to be special.

Each of those four positions could be a position of strength if several of the juniors give up their senior seasons to enter the draft.

The top player on my early look at the 2013 NFL Draft is USC quarterback Matt Barkley. I think he would have been a top-10 pick had he entered this year's draft, but he opted to go back to school.

Now he has a real chance to be the top overall pick. He has great weapons, including receiver Robert Woods, and he plays for an NFL-style head coach in Lane Kiffin.

There are several other top quarterbacks who could challenge his perch at the top, depending on what they do in 2012.

If you're looking for pass rushers off the edge, look at LSU and Texas, where both schools could have two ends go in the top 32.

The early look shows that 2013 could be one of the deepest drafts we've had in a long time, including at all of the key positions, which I call the money positions in the NFL.

1. Matt Barkley, QB, USC: He would have been a top-10 pick if he came out this year. His size (6-foot-2) might be a concern, but it shouldn't be.

2. David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State (JR): This big (6-3) corner can run and play man coverage. That size is a bonus.

3. D.J. Fluker, T, Alabama (JR): I know the college people hype Barrett Jones, but Fluker is the better player. Fluker plays right tackle with Jones at left, but he will move to left in the NFL.

4. Robert Woods, WR, USC (JR): This is an explosive player who will be a certain top-10 pick if he comes out next year. He is 6-1, 190 pounds and plays like an NFL veteran.

5. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU (JR): He is 6-4, 245 pounds and had nine sacks last season as a sophomore. He needs to add a little weight, but he is explosive off the edge.

6. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia (JR): Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. He can explode off the edge and would seem to be a perfect 3-4 outside rush player. He had 13 1/2 sacks last season.

7. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State: He is 6-2, 200 pounds and plays well in man coverage. Watch how teams try to avoid him each week. He battled through injuries last season.

8. Keenan Allen, WR, California (JR): He is big (6-3) and can run. He had a big year in 2011 for Cal with 98 catches.

9. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas (JR): The son of former NFL defensive lineman Jim Jeffcoat is an outstanding pass rusher. He is skilled already in the art of using his hands to beat a tackle.

10. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas: He played in a pro-style offense under Bobby Petrino and he has a good arm and understands how to read the field. He stands 6-3.

11. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State (JR): At 6-4, 330 pounds, he is a force on the inside for the Buckeyes. If he keeps improving, he could be a top-5 pick.

12. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah: He is 6-3, 325 pounds and he plays with quickness and power.

13. Seantrel Henderson, T, Miami (JR): He was the top recruit coming out of high school, but he hasn't always played up to the hype. He's a massive tackle at 6-8, 345 pounds, and he's a good athlete. This is the time to turn it on.

14. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina (JR): At 6-1, 232 pounds, he runs hard and tough. He has to stay on the field as injuries have dinged him some and he's coming off a knee injury.

15. Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU (JR): He has been a situational pass rusher much of time in at LSU, but he should do more this season. He has great quickness off the corner. Needs to get bigger at 6-5, 240 pounds.

16. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas: He is 6-4, 265 pounds and really came on as a junior last season. If he improves this season as much as he did between his freshman and sophomore seasons, look out.

17. William Gholston, DE, Michigan State (JR): he only thing holding this 6-7, 255-pound pass rusher back is consistency. He needs to do more with his size and speed.

18. Manti Te'O, ILB, Notre Dame: Te'o is a pleasure to watch, his ability to run and chase down plays. Can play run or pass. He is thick at 6-2, 255 pounds.

19. Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State (JR): He was supposed to be the "other" end at FSU to Brandon Jenkins, but this raw player from Germany impressed last season. He's just learning the game.

20. Eric Reid, S, LSU (JR): After a weak class of safeties, the 2013 class should be better. Reid is a playmaker in the back end of a good LSU secondary.

21. Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor: Watching Baylor tape, I came to love No. 1 (Kendall Wright). But I also loved No. 2 (Williams). He is bigger than Wright, which could help his cause.

22. Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech: He has a chance to really elevate himself on this list if he can improve his passing. He has a good arm and he can move but isn't as accurate as you would like.

23. Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M (JR): The son of former NFL Hall of Fame guard and current Titans coach Bruce Matthews is a good left tackle for the Aggies.

24. Kawann Short, DT, Purdue: He is a 310-pound player who can move. Those types of players are worth a ton in the NFL.

25. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma: There are some scouts who don't like Jones, saying his arm isn't good enough. But he will have to play himself off this list.

26. Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame (JR): When you watched Notre Dame, this kid really showed up. He is the next in a long line of good tight ends for the Irish.

27. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina: The Gamecocks had Melvin Ingram go in the first round this year and Taylor should follow next year.

28. Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU (JR): He is a ball-hawking corner who can also return punts. His size (5-9) might hurt his draft stock.

29. T.J, McDonald, S, USC: The son of former NFL safety Tim McDonald is a big hitter like his father. The key for him will be his coverage skills improving.

30. Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State: Here's another big corner at 6-2 who can play man coverage. Teams are craving bigger corners to match up against the big receivers.

31. Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan (JR): At 6-8, 310 pounds, he is a big tackle who overpowers opponents. He does need to improve his footwork.

32. Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee (JR): He is 6-6, has a good arm and understands the passing game. It helps he has two good receivers.

Just missed: Ray-Ray Armstrong, S, Miami; Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama; Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State; Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA; Barrett Jones, G-T, Alabama; Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State; Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma; Johnny Adams, CB, Michigan State; Alex Hurst, T, LSU; Ricky Wagner, T, Wisconsin; John Simon, DE, Ohio State; Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia; Brandon Jenkins, DE-OLB, FSU; Jonathan Brown, LB, Illinois; Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois; Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma; Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State; Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee; Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas; Robert Lester, S, Alabama; Chris Faulk, T, LSU; Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida; Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee; Baccari Rambo, S, Georgia; Oday Aboushi, T, Virginia.

Users who are viewing this thread