What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay (2 Viewers)

I agree but if he hits the open market I think Jacksonville would be in on the action.
Sure, but I doubt they have much to offer him other than a maxed-out contract or something like that. Which, come to think of it, he might be wise to take. 

So a definite maybe, then? 

Sure. 

rockaction said:
Somehow I don't think they'll tag and trade him, especially to Jacksonville, who probably isn't going to want to part with the requisite first-round pick that Tampa would require for him when Jacksonville could get younger and cheaper at the position in the loaded '23 draft. 

I mean, who does Jacksonville have that Tampa would want that fits their system? Probably nobody. Somehow I just doubt tag-and-trade happens to him. I think maybe professional courtesy intervenes, though as I'm typing that I'm sort of laughing at myself. 
future pick? 
i mean they’d love to get Lawrence… 🤔 ;)  

rockaction said:
Sure, but I doubt they have much to offer him other than a maxed-out contract or something like that. Which, come to think of it, he might be wise to take. 

So a definite maybe, then? 

Sure. 
The biggest thing they have that most teams don’t is a potential elite QB to light things up with for the next decade. Granted, if they had hired Leftwich as head coach there would be a greater pull. 

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said he does not want to use the franchise tag on Chris Godwin, but it's not out of the question.

Bucs GM Jason Licht heaped praise on Godwin during his time at the podium, saying, “It’s hard to imagine the Buccaneers offense without Chris Godwin.” He also noted that Godwin's rehab from his torn ACL is going well. Licht is making it very clear that the Bucs will be doing everything in their power to keep Godwin in Tampa Bay. A long-term extension is on the horizon while the franchise tag could be used as insurance in case Godwin wants to test the waters of free agency. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Mar 1, 2022, 1:40 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports there's a 90 percent chance the Bucs use the franchise tag on Chris Godwin. 

Fowler cited a source familiar with the situation that the Bucs for the second straight year would slap Godwin, 26, with the franchise tag. Coming off a torn ACL in December, Godwin should remain a centerpiece of Tampa's post-Brady offense, though his fantasy prospects will hinge on who is under center for the Bucs in 2022. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 7, 2022, 9:48 AM ET

Bucs assigned the franchise tag to WR Chris Godwin.

It's the second straight offseason Godwin has been hit with the franchise tag, and by doing so, the Bucs are set to pay Godwin over $19.1 million after he brought in over $15 million last year. Godwin is rehabbing his 2021 torn ACL, so this isn't all bad for him, bringing in a combined $34 million-plus over the last two years after turning 26 just a couple weeks ago. With Godwin back, at least the Bucs have their top two wideouts in the post-Tom Brady world.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Buccaneers re-signed WR Chris Godwin to a three-year, $60 million contract.

So long franchise tag. $40 million was guaranteed at signing per Adam Schefter. Godwin's fantasy value took a little loop this offseason while Tom Brady was retired, but even coming off ACL surgery he figures to be highly drafted in fantasy leagues again this year. This deal essentially values him the same as Chargers WR Mike Williams and should open up cap space for Tampa to continue to bring in more veterans for Brady's latest last run. Godwin reportedly wanted the short-term deal to try to get to free agency again at age 29. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 16, 2022, 9:42 PM ET

Great for him. My feelings about Godwin are in this thread, so people should probably know that I'm happy for him. Godspeed, man. Use it wisely or benevolently, or both. 

Dynasty-wise the question becomes is now (or at least when he gets healthy) the time to deal him...very good WR and only 26 but after this year gotta believe Brady is gone so will his value take a hit?

Dynasty-wise the question becomes is now (or at least when he gets healthy) the time to deal him...very good WR and only 26 but after this year gotta believe Brady is gone so will his value take a hit?
Obviously nobody knows anything about what Brady will do, but all these Bucs deals this week are for 3 years (Godwin, Gage, Jensen, and then Mason who they traded for has 2) so I would say it’s not inconceivable Brady plays past this season. 

All the FA deals are for 3 years though so that’s some kind of barometer for them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for Godwin. He's one of my favorites in the NFL, and I worried he wouldn't get a contract he wanted after his injury. He is one of the most important pieces in the Bucs offense, and it is nice that he has finally been rewarded as such.

Speaking at OTAs, Bucs coach Todd Bowles said that WR Chris Godwin is "Better than where he was but not where he needs to be ... we don't put a timetable on it."

Godwin is coming off a torn ACL in Week 15 and will likely be a PUP candidate in training camp. The Bucs signed him to a long-term extension in March and have no reason to push him before he's ready. When Godwin is healthy, he'll likely regain WR2 status at the very least, but an early-season absence could open up more targets for Russell Gage and Mike Evans. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com

May 17, 2022, 1:54 PM ET

I think he's practically undraftable in re-draft leagues.
For me he is because of where he is going.  There is just no way I would use a pick high enough that is needed to get him.  Now if by some reason he fell all the way to the end of the draft I would have no issue picking him up and stashing him as those dart throws are generally waiver fodder anyway.

For me he is because of where he is going.  There is just no way I would use a pick high enough that is needed to get him.  Now if by some reason he fell all the way to the end of the draft I would have no issue picking him up and stashing him as those dart throws are generally waiver fodder anyway.
Sure - that's kind of my point. If I could grab him late and stash on IR, I would consider it - but even with that I'm not so sure he'll be much of a difference maker this season. That ACL tear was late in the season. His current ADP is crazy imo.

I don't understand his ADP after that injury.  I would have thought he would have fallen further. 

I think he's practically undraftable in re-draft leagues.
Even in dynasty, I think he's way too high. Sure, ACL injuries aren't career-ending like they used to be but there is more evidence that the first year back is a difficult transition for the player than them bouncing back to previous production levels seamlessly. 

Add in that his QB situation is likely to be changing within the term of his contract, and you're hoping that it would end up being somewhat commensurate but most likely a downgrade. Then he's a post-age apex WR with a questionable QB. Give me one of the many WR2 types with fewer red flags.

The Athletic's Greg Auman "wouldn't be surprised" if Chris Godwin (knee) opens the season on the reserve/PUP list.

Godwin suffered a torn ACL last Week 15 and is almost a lock to open training camp on the active/PUP list, but the Bucs could slow-play his recovery even further after making a multi-year commitment to Godwin via a three-year extension. Getting him back to 100% is more important than rushing him back for the start of the season. However, with Tom Brady back in tow for what could be one last ride, both the Bucs and Godwin likely want him on the field as soon as possible. Starting the season on PUP would cost Godwin a minimum of the first six weeks of the year. Godwin is currently being drafted as a mid-to-low WR2, so his injury is baked into his cost. When healthy, Godwin is a legitimate WR1/2.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 22, 2022, 2:15 PM ET

The Athletic's Greg Auman reports Chris Godwin (ACL) participated in 7-on-7s during Tuesday's practice.​

As Auman writes, it is a "small but significant step" for Godwin, who is working his way back from a December torn ACL. Coach Todd Bowles has suggested the receiver might not be ready for Week 1, but he continues to hit important recovery landmarks in August. Even if he is not playing in the opener, it has become clear Godwin will return early in the season.
SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter
Aug 16, 2022, 12:33 PM ET

2 weeks to the opener. Thoughts are he could be ready. Hoping that's true.
If he's ready to go, I can see some limited snaps for the first handful of games. Can see him starting to take off in October and beyond though if one can be patient.

What's the thought on Godwin after the latest news? Were would he rank right now in WR for 2020 redraft? Will he have a top 10 run from say week 4-17?

Speaking on a podcast, Chris Godwin said "I don't think any of us know that yet" when asked if he'd play in Week 1.​

"I would imagine I have the final say. It's going to come down to feel ... In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter that much. I would love to be there for the entire season, but I think what's more important is being there for the second half of the season," Godwin continued. Practicing without a knee brace yesterday was a good sign, but Godwin's Week 1 status feels truly questionable at this point. It sure would seem to make sense to ramp him up slowly if there's any reason for concern.
SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter
Sep 6, 2022, 1:06 PM ET

Speaking on a podcast, Chris Godwin said "I don't think any of us know that yet" when asked if he'd play in Week 1.​

"I would imagine I have the final say. It's going to come down to feel ... In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter that much. I would love to be there for the entire season, but I think what's more important is being there for the second half of the season," Godwin continued. Practicing without a knee brace yesterday was a good sign, but Godwin's Week 1 status feels truly questionable at this point. It sure would seem to make sense to ramp him up slowly if there's any reason for concern.
SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter
Sep 6, 2022, 1:06 PM ET

"I'm a little verklempt"

@PewterReport
#Bucs HC Todd Bowles says Chris Godwin is “confident every day” but that it is still a fluid situation between both Godwin and the doctors. He doesn’t know if it will be Week 1 or later in the season.

@JennaLaineESPN

No Chris Godwin during the portion of practice that was open to the media just now. Could just be that he’s coming onto the field late. But normally he’s out there pretty early.

9/8/22, 10:38 AM

Chris Godwin (knee) expects to be a game-time decision for Sunday evening's game against the Cowboys.​

Godwin was a full participant in Wednesday's practice before sitting out on Thursday. It appears the Bucs are testing how Godwin's surgically-repaired knee responds. Godwin probably has a legitimate chance to suit up Sunday, but it is clear he will be on a snap count if he goes. Godwin is too risky to treat as a WR2 for the opener, and could still end up ruled out on Friday. If he plays, Godwin will be a risk/reward WR3 as he ramps back up.
SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter
Sep 8, 2022, 1:52 PM ET

Schefter says he’s expected to play.
Yep, barring any pre-game setbacks.

Many will say pitch count, limited, snap count, risk of injury, and wait till we see him get through a game or two and then evaluate. Yet, he's still an intriguing play, especially in a 3 WR league with questions with other players. So, for me, if he suits up and plays, he's likely in my lineup. It's Chris Godwin. It's Tom Brady on primetime.

Schefter says he’s expected to play.
Yep, barring any pre-game setbacks.

Many will say pitch count, limited, snap count, risk of injury, and wait till we see him get through a game or two and then evaluate. Yet, he's still an intriguing play, especially in a 3 WR league with questions with other players. So, for me, if he suits up and plays, he's likely in my lineup. It's Chris Godwin. It's Tom Brady on primetime.

Helluva player for a WR3 this year - last year the TB receiver trio ranked 6th, 8th and 9th in WR Consistency Rankings (AB in 7 G.) Godwin put up 4 elite games, 8 he was at least a WR2, and 10 he was at least a WR3. All wide receivers are inconsistent outside of Kupp and his madness of the last 365. 10/14 not bad is about as good as it gets.

GLGB and Go Lions!

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that WR Chris Godwin (hamstring) could be sidelined a few weeks.​

Pelissero reports that there is optimism that Godwin avoided a major injury, but Godwin sounds likely to miss some time. With Godwin out, Russell Gage and Julio Jones should be expected to see more time. Gage played 42% of snaps against the Cowboys with Jones at 52%. Gage, who is recovering from his own hamstring injury is more likely to see his role increase substantially. Having logged significant slot snaps over his career, Gage is the more direct replacement for Godwin. Mike Evans will operate as the Buccaneers' No. 1 wide receiver while Godwin is out. Evans had a 26% target share in Week 1, and he has a good chance of maintaining that rate in the coming weeks, making him a back-end WR1.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Sep 12, 2022, 1:51 PM ET

Fake injury. I don't want to go too crazy conspiracy theory on you guys but he just so happened to go UNDER his receiving yardage prop last night on that play.

Essentially, the line was 3.5 catches and 38.5 yards. He ended with 3 catches and 35 yards. On that last play he was 1 catch away from cashing both the OVER on yards and catches and then hit the pine. He did his job in Primetime. Las Vegas is very happy with Chris Godwin and it ain't no happy accident. 😂

He had one job and he did it well. Give this guy an Oscar.

Last edited:
Fake injury. I don't want to go too crazy conspiracy theory on you guys but he just so happened to go UNDER his receiving yardage prop last night on that play.

Essentially, the line was 3.5 catches and 38.5 yards. He ended with 3 catches and 35 yards. On that last play he was 1 catch away from cashing both the OVER on yards and catches and then hit the pine. He did his job in Primetime. Las Vegas is very happy with Chris Godwin and it ain't no happy accident. 😂

He had one job and he did it well. Give this guy an Oscar.

:tinfoilhat:

Eminence, shut up.

Reported and ignored. I don't know what your problem is, but you can't just tell people to shut up. Okay? How about I take you to school before I never talk to you again? There's this thing in sports gambling called POINT SHAVING. Here's a Wikipedia article about it with plenty of information. I didn't write the article, but there is enough substance to be found for you to realize that it's 100% a real thing:

Furthermore, have you ever heard of the NBA referee Tim Donaghy? He was FIRED from the NBA and sentenced to 11 months in Federal Prison for FIXING NBA games. Point shaving.

You want historical precedent? What if I told you that the Chicago White Sox were once called the Chicago Black Sox? And were forced to change the name after they rigged the 1919 World Series. Here's a nice article about that. Mind you that was related to sports gambling and happened OVER 100 YEARS AGO.

So before you ignorantly tell me to "shut up". Why don't you respect the fact that players and teams have been point shaving for over 100 years and with the advent of legal sports gambling, all a player would have to do is FAIL TO CATCH a certain amount of passes and bet against himself to give himself a nice bonus. Because a human being would NEVER do something like that, it's impossible. Did we also forget about Calvin Ridley who was recently suspended for an ENTIRE YEAR for betting on NFL games last year?

The players know every line and every total from the moment they first step on the field in college. I happen to know a lot about the topic and even run my own sports gambling website (http://www.moneymachine.vip). So you can ignorantly insult me over a topic I know a lot about or you can make up reasons to tell a human being you've never met to "shut up" and proclaim yourself some kind of white knight. As if there is any justification to ever tell somebody to "shut up". You don't see anybody else talking to anybody else like that, but for some reason I'm not a human being that deserves respect. If that's the case, put me on ignore and have a great season.

Godwin was "injured" on a non-contact play. It did not pass the sniff test to me. You'd be crazy if you called out the 1919 Black Sox or Tim Donaghy as cheating until it was proven. Much like many things in America, some sections of sports markets are complete scams. They needed him to start so that the bet would count. If Godwin never starts, the bet never counts. It could be a big coincidence but as we know when BIG MONEY is involved, it rarely is. Stay woke if you think that there's no point shaving that happens anymore and was just a thing of the past. Hard to think that none of these players are betting on these games, especially the lower tier guys...

Last edited:
Eminence, you're reported. You know you're banned here an it wasn't more than a week you'd start doing this.

You literally told me to "shut up". I wrote you a chapter in a book about point shaving. You're real good guy. Explain to me what I did wrong in this thread because all I see is insults coming from your end.

Last edited:
Eminence, you're reported. You know you're banned here an it wasn't more than a week you'd start doing this.

You literally told me to "shut up". I wrote you a chapter in a book about point shaving. You're real good guy. Explain to me what I did wrong in this thread because all I see is insults coming from your end.

Forget it. I know about the sports betting scandals. The likelihood that Godwin did that yesterday is staggeringly low.

I'm not getting into it with you. It's a waste of time.

I know this isn't a gambling website but if you go over to Twitter and search the term "point shaving" you're going to find a lot of discussion on the topic. It's not completely a fringe conspiracy theory, it's a thing that's proven to have happened and a lot people believe in it:

Twitter 1
Twitter 2
Twitter 3

I know it sounds silly, but it's usually prime time games that are most crooked (large viewing audience, largest pot). Tonight for instance, 72% of the public is on Broncos -6 and Broncos ML is likely the last leg to many parlays that survived from yesterday. It's definitely in the interest of Vegas for the Seahawks to lose by 6 or less and if they were to somehow win outright, that would be the best case scenario for them.

The two LARGEST spreads this weekend were Bengals -7 and Colts -7. Neither team WON let alone covered the spread.

I think many things are crooked. However, Chris Godwin, coming off a short ACL recovery, reaches back and scoops a ball (almost) off the turf and then turns/stumbles upfield as he injures a hamstring would have to be an all time Academy Award for Best Actor. I think it is an absurd accusation and sounds more like someone who lost money and wants someone to blame.

I know this isn't a gambling website but if you go over to Twitter and search the term "point shaving" you're going to find a lot of discussion on the topic. It's not completely a fringe conspiracy theory, it's a thing that's proven to have happened and a lot people believe in it:

Anyone with an email address can make a Twitter account. I dont think you should take everything you read on the internet seriously. You can find people on Twitter saying 9/11 was an inside job and that Sandy Hook was a hoax too.

Users who are viewing this thread