What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay (1 Viewer)

Chris Godwin caught 5-of-10 targets for 74 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 3 loss to the Steelers.

Godwin came out rusty, dropping two passes and fumbling all in the first half. He eventually shook it off and dominated downfield with Mike Evans (6-137-1), overpowering his defender inside the five-yard line for his only score of the night. Although Godwin benefitted from the Bucs trailing 30-10 in the second half, the second-year pro has now scored in every game this season. Godwin's proved he can flourish catching passes from Jameis Winston, but it would certainly help him if it's Ryan Fitzpatrick's gun-slinger style of play that remains under center.

Sep 25 - 1:17 AM

He dropped two VERY catchable TD passes & lost the fumble.  Make 1 less of those mistakes & you have a very different end to that game.
For sure.  Which is why it seems like he had an awful game when you look at that.  But then you look at his statline and his other catches and you'd say he had a huge game.  Just a weird game for him today.

Anyone trading for him? Any recent trades to see his current value? Tempted to go after him since I can pretty much keep him for his career. Seems like one of the better situations for a WR2 to be in if Rojo ends up panning out and their running game develops. 

Uncharacteristic drops last night which put a dent in his numbers. The end zone one was just strange like his arms went numb. His QBs have confidence in him and he is stilling young. With Evans on the other side and Howard in the middle he will continue to have plus matchups. As long as he continues to progress he offers a lot of upside going forward. 

Passed on grabbing Callaway CLE to keep him.  Was tough as a fan w Mayfield, but Godwin has a perfect situation, and w 2 good qbs.  Evans draws the cb1, djax is running 9s, and he gets the nickel. 

Kid is wr 24 after 3.

thecardiackid said:
Passed on grabbing Callaway CLE to keep him.  Was tough as a fan w Mayfield, but Godwin has a perfect situation, and w 2 good qbs.  Evans draws the cb1, djax is running 9s, and he gets the nickel. 

Kid is wr 24 after 3.
He is Kenny Golladay minus the hype. 

Golladay is a full time player and gets the nod on the majority of 2-wide sets. I wish he would go back to outsnapping DJax.
Godwin is out-targeting DJax just like Tate is out-targeting Kenny. Both are 2nd in targets for the WR group and seem to be great RZ weapons.

Godwin is out-targeting DJax just like Tate is out-targeting Kenny. Both are 2nd in targets for the WR group and seem to be great RZ weapons.
Yeah, Evans has seen 28% of the targets, Godwin 17%. And Tate has seen 25% of the targets, Golladay 20%. But I'm just saying Godwin probably isn't getting hyped up like Golladay because he doesn't start and plays on half of the snaps. 

Yeah, Evans has seen 28% of the targets, Godwin 17%. And Tate has seen 25% of the targets, Golladay 20%. But I'm just saying Godwin probably isn't getting hyped up like Golladay because he doesn't start and plays on half of the snaps. 
I think it's just the nature of hype. Even though Godwin was the higher pick, he didn't play much last year untill the very end (and many fantasy players are kind of tuned out by then). Golladay had the huge preseason and then 2 TDs in his first game. Plus the fact that he was a later surprise draft pick, I think he became a bit more chic. I am still shocked how many leagues Godwin still isn't owned in. 

I think it's just the nature of hype. Even though Godwin was the higher pick, he didn't play much last year untill the very end (and many fantasy players are kind of tuned out by then). Golladay had the huge preseason and then 2 TDs in his first game. Plus the fact that he was a later surprise draft pick, I think he became a bit more chic. I am still shocked how many leagues Godwin still isn't owned in. 
In start 2 WR leagues it’s hard to keep holding Godwin. I keep anticipating a downfall because of snap count and routes run and don’t want to lose the RB’s on my bench.

In start 2 WR leagues it’s hard to keep holding Godwin. I keep anticipating a downfall because of snap count and routes run and don’t want to lose the RB’s on my bench.

He is WR 18 in standard and WR 22 in PPR. I have a hard time seeing how that guy is hard to keep in any league, even a 2 WR league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He is WR 18 in standard and WR 22 in PPR. I have a hard time seeing how that guy is hard to keep in any league, even a 2 WR league. 
RBs: Conner, Kamara, Hyde, Jones, Freeman, Michel

WRs: Diggs, Golladay, C. Davis, Cole and Godwin

:shrug:  That’s with no kicker, no backup TE or QB... Davis QB situation has been bad but his air yards, targets and snaps have been good. Whoever I cut isn’t making it back to my roster. In start 2 WR or 10 team it is not a simple decision. His usage is worrisome, especially if they turn to Winston. I don’t trust Koetter. Allowing Adam Humphries to come close to or outsnap Godwin should be your main complaint, not what fantasy owners are doing.

:shrug:  That’s with no kicker, no backup TE or QB... Davis QB situation has been bad but his air yards, targets and snaps have been good. Whoever I cut isn’t making it back to my roster. In start 2 WR or 10 team it is not a simple decision. His usage is worrisome, especially if they turn to Winston. I don’t trust Koetter. Allowing Adam Humphries to come close to or outsnap Godwin should be your main complaint, not what fantasy owners are doing.
Who was QB week 16 & 17 in 2017? 

A simple solution would be to try and trade. Maybe Davis and Cole for a WR. or Golladay and Cole for a WR. 

I find it hard to believe Godwin should be dropped. I would probably drop Cole just because he has done less with more targets and Godwin is a RZ target for TB. Or I would potentially try and trade a RB. The Burkhead owner might be interested in Michel. 

I keep Godwin over Cole and Davis in a heartbeat. 

Chris Godwin played 31-of-63 snaps (49 percent) Week 4 against the Bears.

The total was eight fewer than DeSean Jackson and 18 fewer than Adam Humphries. Godwin did make some mistakes in Week 3, but it was still surprising to see him log just two targets after scoring in each of the first three games. The Bucs should spend the bye making sure their talented sophomore gets the ball.

Oct 1 - 9:42 AM

It seems that the bye week helped Jameis develop some chemistry with Godwin. 

Could be a nice weapon moving forward. 

I just can't ever fit him into my lineup, but, boy, he is very consistent on a week-to-week basis.

After last week I was afraid he didn't have a good connection with Winston, but they worked well together today.
Me too. He's been on my bench all year in my redraft. Super excited about him. If Locket cools down I feel good having him in my back pocket- and may even start him over Lockett here on out if his targets remain consistent

Thoughts on him going forward? This entire TB offense has been a roller coaster, from the constantly changing QBs to the weekly target raffle. I have Howard and Godwin and was all set to use Howard as my bye-week fill-in, but his injury complicates things, both for my team as well as the Bucs. If OJ's out, does Godwin get more targets? And assuming Jameis is back at QB, how does that affect Godwin? I know the CW is that Jameis only has eyes for Brate, but Godwin did put up OK numbers in his two full games with Jameis (6/56/1, 5/59/0)

Looking over Godwin's game log, he's had three true clunkers (four if you count yesterday's 3/50/0) and been pretty usable the other weeks. 

Really just thinking about washing myself of the whole situation and dropping him for Coutee.

Thoughts on him going forward? This entire TB offense has been a roller coaster, from the constantly changing QBs to the weekly target raffle. I have Howard and Godwin and was all set to use Howard as my bye-week fill-in, but his injury complicates things, both for my team as well as the Bucs. If OJ's out, does Godwin get more targets? And assuming Jameis is back at QB, how does that affect Godwin? I know the CW is that Jameis only has eyes for Brate, but Godwin did put up OK numbers in his two full games with Jameis (6/56/1, 5/59/0)

Looking over Godwin's game log, he's had three true clunkers (four if you count yesterday's 3/50/0) and been pretty usable the other weeks. 

Really just thinking about washing myself of the whole situation and dropping him for Coutee.
Godwin is a good WR and his future is probably bright but I would rather have Coutee over Godwin now.

Scott Reynolds of Pewter Report suggested Chris Godwin could be a candidate to replace impending free agent Adam Humphries as the team's primary slot receiver in 2019.

Per Reynolds, Humphries and his camp are seeking at least $8 million annually while the Bucs won't go higher than $6 million. With Humphries likely to jump ship in free agency, Godwin could be asked to fill the team's void at slot receiver. Godwin only played in the slot on 34.9 percent of his snaps last year but his size and speed combo along with his superior blocking could make him successful at that position. Slot receivers have traditionally fared well in Bruce Arians offenses as Larry Fitzgerald posted three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons while playing primarily out of the slot from 2015-2017. With DeSean Jackson likely to be released or traded, 2018 fifth-rounder Justin Watson could be a candidate to start outside opposite Mike Evans in 2019.

SOURCE: Pewter Report

Feb 15, 2019, 1:20 PM

Larry Fitzgerald had one of the best seasons of his career in an Arians' offense from the slot.  Make sure you keep an eye out for that in training camp if Godwin lines up there.  Similar size/speed and body control combo. Before anyone freaks out I'm not comparing them.  Just pointing it out. 

One of the biggest beneficiaries of free agency. 

Djax gone, Humphries gone, and they sign Breshaud Perriman who is total garbage. 

Love it. Evans, Godwin and Howard are going to be bananas next year 
not convinced Howard will be in a better place than last year

Arians wasnt kind to the TE at least in his time in AZ, maybe he will adapt to a new situation. Absolutely love evans and godwin this year tho. and if they bring in any FA RBs who can catch they will be a solid buy for me

not convinced Howard will be in a better place than last year

Arians wasnt kind to the TE at least in his time in AZ, maybe he will adapt to a new situation. Absolutely love evans and godwin this year tho. and if they bring in any FA RBs who can catch they will be a solid buy for me

Maybe but who were his TEs in Arizona? That was a weakness on the offense. When he was the OC in Pitt, Heath Miller averaged 77 targets a year which is what Trey Burton got last year. I think OJ's talent and the increased emphasis on the passing game should place OJ in the range of 80-95 targets. 

Maybe but who were his TEs in Arizona? That was a weakness on the offense. When he was the OC in Pitt, Heath Miller averaged 77 targets a year which is what Trey Burton got last year. I think OJ's talent and the increased emphasis on the passing game should place OJ in the range of 80-95 targets. 
Fair point. Off the top of my head Gresham, who wasnt howard but was a decent pass catcher. A few other guys, Housler and Nikklas. Nikklas was almost purely a blocker while in az. Niklas had 19 total catches in 4 seasons on 32 targets. Housler 81 targets over 3 seasons w arians. But they decreased every season.

Looking at arians' teams in AZ from '13 to '17 it looks like his team TE targets (the whole platoon, not one guy) tops out around 75-80. Idk man, you might be right, howard is likely the best pass catching te he ever had so maybe he utilizes him more, but history says prolly not

Fair point. Off the top of my head Gresham, who wasnt howard but was a decent pass catcher. A few other guys, Housler and Nikklas. Nikklas was almost purely a blocker while in az. Niklas had 19 total catches in 4 seasons on 32 targets. Housler 81 targets over 3 seasons w arians. But they decreased every season.

Looking at arians' teams in AZ from '13 to '17 it looks like his team TE targets (the whole platoon, not one guy) tops out around 75-80. Idk man, you might be right, howard is likely the best pass catching te he ever had so maybe he utilizes him more, but history says prolly not
You never know but I tend to think Arians will utilize the talent around him. It reminds me of when people (myself included) said Carolina was a bad spot for CMc because Cam doesn't throw to RBs. Well it turns out that was because Cam never had any RBs who were very good as receivers. Once he got CMc, he had no issues feeding a RB targets. 

You never know but I tend to think Arians will utilize the talent around him. It reminds me of when people (myself included) said Carolina was a bad spot for CMc because Cam doesn't throw to RBs. Well it turns out that was because Cam never had any RBs who were very good as receivers. Once he got CMc, he had no issues feeding a RB targets. 
true

I was in that camp as well, and was wrong

Apparently Winston really favors his tight ends as well. I am certainly hoping Howard feasts this year. But mainly I am excited for Godwin. 

Where is the narrative that Arians' WR2 never gets stats?  It looks to me like when he had a good WR2 that WR2 got used plenty.

Dual 1,000 yard seasons with Holmes/Ward and Brown/Wallace 

Users who are viewing this thread