What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Worst Roster Move of 2012 (1 Viewer)

Concept Coop

Footballguy
Post your worst roster move of 2012:

MOX 8:14 Team, Non-PPR, QRRWWFF (TE=WR)

Gave: Justin Blackmon

Got: Andy Dalton

Thoughts at the time: I was very deep at WR, didn't have a QB2, Dalton was on fire, and starter(Cam) was struggling. After making a few deals for RBs, I am much less deep at WR and could very much use Blackmon. WRs are less valuable than in traditional leagues...but holy hell.

This is bad enough, right?

But I got Blackmon by trading down, rather than taking RG3 (had Cam) and used the extra pick I got on A.J.Jenkins, whom I was forced to cut. Picked him over Bernard Pierce, Alfred Morris, and Robert Turbin.

So really, I traded RG3 for Andy Dalton...in a 14 team 4pt passing league.

Misery loves company. What's yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Around this same time last year, 2012. Needed a RB desperatley. Traded Demariyus Thomas for Beanie Wells/1,8At the time I guess I didnt believe in DT being the player he became. OUCH---this one still hurts :(

Gave: Reggie WayneGot: Peyton HillisRationale: I had no second running back prior to the season and bought the chiefs fluff pieces hook line and sinker. Hillis was going to be a better version of Thomas Jones in 2010. We all know how it really played out.

Had traded for Jimmy Graham over the offseason, and my TE2 was Tony Gonzalez. For some silly stupid reason, our league has one FA blind bidding during the preseason, but no other way to get players prior to the opening game (after week 1, there is a waiver period prior to each game).Whoever I had at kicker got injured, so I was without a kicker for the first game. I won the league the year before, and was facing a tough opponent. I ended up trading Gonzo for a kicker, I don't even know which one -- only a few teams had two. I could have flexed Gonzo all year, instead of a few games that I played Bess/Boldin due to injury.

Ugh, this one pains me to even write. Around week 1 of the pre-season I made this great blunderGave: Adrian PetersonGot: DMACRationale: .........................

Hmmm. Going to go with this one.Give: Luck, Foster, BlackmonGet: Stafford, CJ?K, WrightYeah. I had a whole list of reasons why I thought this was going to be great for me. Foster having a reshuffled O-Line, Blackmon in Jax, CJ?K was going to have a bounce-back year, Stafford having Calvin locked up, etc. etc.

Traded Bryce Brown for Branden Bolden, right after Bolden's one good game, just to cuff the other 2 NE RB.Breaking up a repeat champ by trading Lynch, VJax, and Redman for a 2012 1/2/3. "Ball don't lie" karma moment - finished in last place. Picks were Luck, Hillman, Sanu.Traded Turbin/Jeffery for Ryan Williams/Greg Childs because I thought I needed short term RB depth. And Childs is just as good as Jeffery, right?

April 2012Gave: PetersonGot (essentially): SJax, Lloyd, Ike Redman, AmendolaReasoning: thought SJax had 2-3 years left; bought Lloyd and Redman hype; failed to account for Peterson being Peterson.

I had Eli, Flacco. Drafted Russel Wilson 7th round last year. Predicted at the time of draft Wilson would beat out Flynn and Jackson, hands down. mid-October: traded Wilson for 2013-2nd and 10 units of our league currency (used for UFA, RFA, etc), subsequently released Eli and now have Flacco and Peyton heading into 2013. Still waiting on Flacco's salary and this being a salary cap league that uses real contracts/salaries, I will be hard pressed to keep both guys with potential 20M+ cap hits. :bag:

PreseasonGave: Michael Turner, Alfred Morris, Ronnie BrownGot: Ryan Grant, Roberto Wallace, Chris Rainey, mid first devy pick

2012 was a decent year of trades for me, but I'd take these back in hindsight:Peyton + scrap for Pettigrew back in April. With Brees as my #1 and Peyton's future uncertain, I wanted a younger TE... Gave Maclin, Pettigrew, Witten, Urlacher and Polamalu for VJax, Finley, Ray Lewis and YBell. I still had bought into the Finley hype. Don't mind this one too much, but the value of what I gave escalated: Got Luck for Freeman, David Wilson, Gresham and a 2nd.

Gave EBF a title with this one.Gave: MorenoGot GabbertDid this one a couple weeks before McGahee got hurt. (EBF actually turned down this offer the week before.)I think the jury is still out long term on this deal, but the fact is Moreno was a quality start for almost half a season, and carries much more value right now because of it.

Preseason 2012:Gave - Vincent Jackson and my 2013 1stGot - Larry FitzgeraldThe funny thing? I won the championship.

I've got 2 that still sting:In one league, we need to cutdown to 15 before our draft last year, and I was pretty loaded at WR (Harvin, Nelson, Roddy, etc) and wanted a young RB prospect. So I traded Cobb for 1.11, which I used to pick Pead. UghIn another, in the pre-season, I bought into the CJ1K is back hype, so I traded Martin and Cobb (there he is again!) for CJ1K and Wallace.

Gave: late 1st and 2nd 2013Got: Schaub2-QB league 6pts/TD. QBs are way overvalued and I had Flacco and Ponder. Still, Ponder nearly matched Schaubs production.

Traded D Rich and a 3rd for Antonio Gates right after I lost Gronk. Never started him because Pitta came out of his slump and I started him the rest of the way. Now SJax walks and Rich could be the starter and I'm on the verge of outright cutting Gates.

Can it be a move I didn't make? Someone cut Russel Wilson after week 6 or 7, and I was first in waivers and all set to pick him up, then William Powell (who had also been cut that week) went for 70 yards and I took him.

Casual dynasty league start up draft last year with some local friends (so naturally the most important because you're around your leaguemates and can talk s#!t all the time) I drafted Michael Crabtree in the 9th or 10th, and then wanted to grab Randall Cobb a few rounds later so I traded up to grab him. Michael Crabtree/Randall Cobb to go along with the Dez Bryant/Julio Jones/Brandon Marshall I already had would be gold now, right? I traded Crabtree for Peyton Hillis and a three round bump up to the pick on deck to select Cobb, and then the guy OTC took Cobb so I took Kendall Hunter instead. Jury is still out on Hunter, but whooooops. Cobb/Crabtree would be a little better than Peyton Hillis/Hunter now a days.

Before last seasonGave CrabtreeGot Greg LittleI held Crabtree since I took him in rookie draft and then gave up on him for Little :rolleyes:

In the same league:- picked up Wilson off waivers before week 1 and then dropped him after like week 4 when he was sucking0 current QB is Rothisberger- was offered Spiller for Stewart and Bears Defense, and turned it down like an idiot cause we wouldnt have had a defense that week. Lesson learned.

How about forgetting to submit what would have been the winning bid for josh Gordon in two different leagues
Ha. In an FFPC dynasty that does waivers on wednesdays and fridays, I forget which week it was but Gordon was on waivers (maybe like week 2-3). NOBODY bid on him on the wednesday waivers. I didn't even realize he was available. When I did, I bid like 17 on him. My partner said something like "why not just bid 1, nobody picked him up wednesday"..............and bam, he goes for 19, lol.

Sold Cobb cheap in a couple leagues. Gave him up for Benson in one start 2 RB league where I had good WR depth and no RBs. Gave him up for a 2013 1st in another league to save roster space. The frustrating thing about the second trade is that I held him for the first three weeks of the season. It started to look like he was going to be useless in the short term and I really wanted more roster space, so I shipped him out. Jennings went down literally the very next game and the rest is history. Only consolation is that the pick became the 1.07, so I've got a fair shot to get someone good there. I've made some other trades recently that could come back to haunt me, but these are the ones that jump out from last season right away.

Preseason 2012:Gave - Vincent Jackson and my 2013 1stGot - Larry FitzgeraldThe funny thing? I won the championship.
My worst roster move was not accepting a couple of trades for Fitz prior to last year. But I too won a Championship with him so it's not all bad.

Middle of last off season made what is so far the worst trade I've ever made. Had a RB starved team, and was looking at starting two Titans(CJ and Britt, two Patriots in 1.5 TE PPR league (Hernandez and Gronk) and two Broncos (DT and Decker). I did not like the idea of starting 3 sets of teammates, none of whom was a QB-receiver combo so:I traded Decker for Roy Helu.

tried to pick up Chris Givens... turned out i picked up the wrong Chris Givens (Saints?) and another owner got the real Chris Givens (Rams). My Bid was higher, but for the wrong Givens. :wall:

In July, when it was obvious that Ryan Mathews was going to be a stud, Jackson was on his last legs, and Spiller was in a RBBC for 2 more years:Gave S.Jackson, I.Pead, CJ Spiller, and a 2013 1st (became 1.06)Received Ryan Mathews and a couple of 2013 3rd rounders.OOF.

In July, when it was obvious that Ryan Mathews was going to be a stud, Jackson was on his last legs, and Spiller was in a RBBC for 2 more years:Gave S.Jackson, I.Pead, CJ Spiller, and a 2013 1st (became 1.06)Received Ryan Mathews and a couple of 2013 3rd rounders.OOF.
I think everyone who traded for Mathews last year before the season can put their deal in this thread. It would be like a highlight reel of errors.

tried to pick up Chris Givens... turned out i picked up the wrong Chris Givens (Saints?) and another owner got the real Chris Givens (Rams). My Bid was higher, but for the wrong Givens. :wall:
Hahaha, I see his name everytime I scan the WW and it makes me do a double take even in leagues I own the STl Chris Givens

Midway through the season I had a complete starting lineup with great depth at every position but TE. I wanted to "buy low" on Vernon Davis to solidify my TE spot, and was ok overpaying a little by giving up Darren Sproles. I had also been in talks with another owner who owned Sjax so I threw Colin Kaepernick in to get Daryl Richardson. Gave: Colin Kaepernick/Darren SprolesFor: Vernon Davis/Daryl Richardsonaaaaaanndd it's a 2QB league, sooooooo.... Whoooops!

Worst actual trade was Russell Wilson, Mark Ingram and Michael Floyd for Andy Dalton around week 4 or so. Wilson got off to a slow start and I was hurting bad at QB. Also I'm a sucker for Bengals. League has higher than normal scoring for QBs. Just way too impatient on my part.Worst trade offer decline was also around week 4 or so when I turned down an offer of Cam Newton for Ryan Mathews. In a league with QB flex....Not quite as bad, but I also regret turning down a midseason trade offer of Megatron and Pitta for Aaron Hernandez, Keenan Allen and Justin Hunter. It was mid season when both Calvin and Pitta were struggling a bit. Also a 1.5 PPR for TEs league so AHern has some extra value. I overvalued my 2 devys and slightly undervalued Calvin.

'ghostguy123 said:
'Lott said:
I think everyone who traded for Mathews last year before the season can put their deal in this thread. It would be like a highlight reel of errors.Got Mathews. Sent Mendy and 1.06 (David Wilson)

I got lucky this season and avoided any major landmines. My worst deal by far was Marshall, Bryce Brown, and my own 2013 first rounder for Percy Harvin and San Fran's D. Several weeks later, Harvin was hurt, Marshall was beasting, and Brown was about to start setting records. Still don't regret the move- I like Harvin more than Marshall long-term, San Fran's D is fantastic, and I won a title anyway so the first was last in the round. Other than that, it would be the fact that over the last 18 months I cut Denver's defense (finished 3rd) and Cincy's defense (6th) for Tampa's defense (22nd) and Buffalo's defense (27th, and specifically cost me two wins in games where a zero would have netted me the win, but Buffalo went hugely negative). Which is why I needed to trade for San Fran's defense in the first place.

Worst decision pt 1: In a 13-keeper dynasty league, with my first round pick (Round 14) I selected Jake Locker instead of Russell Wilson, despite the Seahawks being my local team, despite loving Wilson, and despite drafting him in multiple other leagues. Why? Because I thought I'd be able to pick him up later in the draft. Since he went 2 picks later, I obviously misjudged. Most useless move: Traded Larry Fitzgerald for Vernon Davis in a league where I was desperate for TE help, but very strong at WR. It's hard to say both owners regret it, but it was pretty pointless.Worst decision pt 2: In a salary-contract league, had Knowshon Moreno eating up cap space. He'd been inactive for 5 or 6 games in a row, and I thought Mark Ingram was starting to look healthy (and productive). Gave Moreno, J. Rodgers, and Hankerson for Ingram, since Moreno was a "dead contract". Needless to say, Moreno's late-season production would have been pretty helpful in my playoff run.

Before start of season.Gave: Crabtree, MeachamGot: MaclinAlso, I watched a decent amount pre-season games this year and didn't listen to my gut to get Alfred Morris and Darryl Richardson for cheap..instead picked up Mccluster.

Gave: CJ Spiller, Martin (1.4) and Steve Smith (CAR)forMJD, Lloyd and 1.10 (traded it) :XClose 2ndGave Brees, C. Benson, 1.5 (AJ Green) and 1.10 (D Murray)forEli, Bradshaw and some other scrub

16team Dynasty IDPWent against my gut and traded Reggie Wayne and Lance Briggs for Mark Ingram. Weak defense: I thought it was a rebuild year. Turns out I really could have used a lot of points instead of very few points.

FWIW, I think this is a great thread. Seeing good owners make bad deals obviously brings a perverse form of pleasure, but I also think it helps avoid future mistakes by identifying "bad patterns".

FWIW, I think this is a great thread. Seeing good owners make bad deals obviously brings a perverse form of pleasure, but I also think it helps avoid future mistakes by identifying "bad patterns".
I think it goes to show how poker-like FFB is, in terms of rewarding the talented. A lot is based on luck, and good owners make awful trades often, in hindsight. It's about winning 55-60% of your trades and roster moves, best case scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread