What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Edgerrin James (1 Viewer)

SleeperPix

Footballguy
No touches at all today. Hightower looks to have taken over with authority. Even JJ Arrington got touches today. Edge may have lost a step, but is he really behind JJ now?

amazing that a player that is as accomplished as Edge can't even get into the game. i don't know what to make of JJ getting carries and Edge getting nothing.

Makes me think he was just benched for this game for comments earlier in the week. This sends him a message that they can win without him. Maybe he comes back in a RBBC type role next week?

Sun, Nov 2 Head coach Ken Whisenhunt said that the flow of Sunday's game kept James on the bench, not an injury or disciplinary action, according to the Arizona Republic.

Recommendation: "Man, it's been brewing for a while," said James, who has expressed frustration over the past two weeks at his diminishing role. It's clear that Tim Hightower has taken over as Arizona's starting running back. The fact that J.J. Arrington served as Arizona's No. 2 running back on Sunday was very surprising; he's usually more of a shifty third-down back. We think that James will be Arizona's No. 2 running back during the second half of the season, but it's clear that he is no longer the starter and he will probably be cut at the end of the season.

(Rotowire.com)

why don't coaches just say it... he was benched for insubordination... oh, and he's not as good as the other 2 guys.

Wow, I did a double-take when I saw Edge had zero touches. In a game that the Cards won without a lot of trouble that speaks volumes.

Hightower's the better back. Poor Edge and his huge ego. He needs to go call Peyton, thank him for his big payday, and ride off into the sunset.

Code:
Overrated!

Well, it's pretty obvious that Hightower is the starter going forward, but I don't think I'd call Edge 3rd string just yet. If something happened to Hightower, I think Edge would probably get a lot of work. JJ has just looked great catching the ball out of the backfield so they seem to be bringing him in on passing downs. They started doing a bit of that even while Edge was still the starter and they have stuck with it now that Hightower took over.

scrumptrulescent said:
Hightower's the better back. Poor Edge and his huge ego. He needs to go call Peyton, thank him for his big payday, and ride off into the sunset.

Code:
Overrated!
Strenously disagree with the bolded. Hightower is nothing special.

scrumptrulescent said:

Overrated!
In watching yesterday I witnessed a burst from Hightower that Edge has never had while in Arizona. Edge would not have made that 30 yard TD run Hightower did.....believe it.Hightower may not be special, but he's the better back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Wiz cares how many FF championships Edge has won people. Hightower had 10 touches in the first quarter which is clearly a problem for Edge. I think it is too soon to definitely say that Edge has lost all value but it seems that is the direction things are going. So what is Edges value now? I am going to try to package him away.

I don't think Wiz cares how many FF championships Edge has won people. Hightower had 10 touches in the first quarter which is clearly a problem for Edge. I think it is too soon to definitely say that Edge has lost all value but it seems that is the direction things are going. So what is Edges value now? I am going to try to package him away.
Good luck. I would think the only person who may have any interest is the Hightower owner. However, they probably got Hightower extremely cheap and he is just a bonus for them. They probably do not feel the need to carry his handcuff. The better play may be to try and get Hightower. BUt then again, his value is sky high now. Edge's is rock bottom low. I am not sure what the right play is here. (And yes, I am an Edge owner.... :lmao: )

Edgerrin James is supporting rookie Tim Hightower, who unseated James as the Cardinals' starting running back Sunday against the Rams, according to the East Valley Tribune. James did not have a carry in the game and said, "It’s been brewing for a while. I’m not surprised. I’m happy for Tim. I expected him to have a big day. We knew we should have a big day running the ball regardless of who was in there."

Our View: James is only averaging 3.5 yards per carry this season, with only one 100-yard performance. Hightower looks to be the best option for the Cardinals right now, and is worth scooping up if still available on the waiver wire.

Mon, Nov 3 James may be a healthy inactive for one or more games during the second half of the season, according to the Arizona Republic.

Recommendation: He is much closer to the inactive list than he is to regaining his starting role. Tim Hightower is the clear starter, J.J. Arrington may be the new No. 2 running back and Arizona has a couple of fullbacks (Terrelle Smith and Tim Castille) that mainly play on special teams. James does not contribute on special teams and his offensive role has largely disappeared.

(Rotowire.com)

Mon, Nov 3 James may serve as Arizona's No. 3 running back for the rest of the season, according to the Cardinals' official site.

Recommendation: Most importantly, Tim Hightower has seized the starting job and has seriously cut into James' fantasy value. It's possible that J.J. Arrington -- who gained 119 yards from scrimmage on Sunday -- will serve as the No. 2 back during the second half of the season, with James limited to mop-up duty as the third-stringer.

(Rotowire.com)

Per CBS....

Edgerrin James, RB ARINews: Though Edgerrin James was supportive of teammate rookie RB Tim Hightower posting a big day in his first start in the Cardinals' backfield, the Arizona Republic reports that James' demotion was the result of him bad-mouthing the coaching staff recently. "I'm not surprised," James said. "I don't fit the 'yes-man' mold. ... They can sit me down for the rest of the year. I'll still come and go to work. I'm happy for Tim. I'm supportive of Tim. I knew he was going to have a big day. But this was personal."
What a baby. Of course it was everyone's fault but his own. There are a lot of players out there that don't fit the yes man mold but they're too good to come off the field so they start, and they excel, and they get paid!Who's taking it personally?Hasn't Boldin bad-mouthed the coaching staff? Hasn't seemed to hurt his starting role.

I must say that i find it hard to believe he will go straight to 3rd string or inactive....but who knows.

Overrated!
In watching yesterday I witnessed a burst from Hightower that Edge has never had while in Arizona. Edge would not have made that 30 yard TD run Hightower did.....believe it.Hightower may not be special, but he's the better back.
he's also been in the league 10 years as a feature back. i'd expect a 22 year old rookie to have more burst. if he didn't he'd better be a fullback or coming off a knee injury.

Lets assume he is still one of the best in the league and he's correct in that he cannot run in this offense.

What is different about this offense vs the Colts???

I'm guessing he WILL be cut in the off season and picked up by the Colts. He would start out as the 3rd down back and could return to form if Adaii goes down. Sleeper pick 2009 assuming he plays for the Colts.

Lets assume he is still one of the best in the league and he's correct in that he cannot run in this offense.What is different about this offense vs the Colts???I'm guessing he WILL be cut in the off season and picked up by the Colts. He would start out as the 3rd down back and could return to form if Adaii goes down. Sleeper pick 2009 assuming he plays for the Colts.
You're joking, right?

Ketamine Dreams said:
Billy1x said:
Lets assume he is still one of the best in the league and he's correct in that he cannot run in this offense.What is different about this offense vs the Colts???I'm guessing he WILL be cut in the off season and picked up by the Colts. He would start out as the 3rd down back and could return to form if Adaii goes down. Sleeper pick 2009 assuming he plays for the Colts.
You're joking, right?
I hope he's joking, if the Colts liked him at all anymore he'd still be there. At this point in Edge's career Dominic Rhodes > Edge. Edge is washed up and has been for the passed two seasons. I'm not even sure if he has a job next season, I mean the only times a veteran like him can get another job is maybe as a "short yardage/Goal line" back and since the Cards' haven't let him see the Goal line all season something tells me he can't even punch it in. This should be the end of the line for James

Ketamine Dreams said:
Billy1x said:
You're joking, right?
I hope he's joking, if the Colts liked him at all anymore he'd still be there. At this point in Edge's career Dominic Rhodes > Edge. Edge is washed up and has been for the passed two seasons. I'm not even sure if he has a job next season, I mean the only times a veteran like him can get another job is maybe as a "short yardage/Goal line" back and since the Cards' haven't let him see the Goal line all season something tells me he can't even punch it in. This should be the end of the line for James
James seemed to be running with more power than ever this year, when given the chance he knocked defenders back into the endzone on his TDs and two point conversion attempts. Edge has lost a step for an everydown RB though.For the right price I could see Edge hanging on a couple of years as a short yardage guy like Marcus Allen did.

Age is a #####.

We all run into it sometime, but for RB's it comes earlier than for almost anyone else. He's slowed down, and he isn't going to get any faster. See Alexander, Shaun. He had a great run while it lasted, but now it's over.

Not really news....

Tim Hightower broke loose for 109 rushing yards in his first NFL start last weekend against the Rams and coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed that he will remain the starter over Edgerrin James in Week 10 against the 49ers, according to the Arizona Republic.

Our View: Hightower merits fantasy consideration against the 49ers' 19th ranked run defense. The rookie has already scored seven touchdowns over eight games.

Users who are viewing this thread