What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (1 Viewer)

One thing to keep in mind if you're getting an EV is the electrical panel in your house. We were considering one in December (after my wife totaled our 4Runner) but decided against it because the parts we would have needed to upgrade our electrical panel were on backorder for about 90 days and with our jobs we just couldn't be without a second vehicle that long.

That said, when my son turns 16 in three years I'll be passing my current car down to him and will almost certainly swap to an EV at that point. Right now I have my eye on the EV8 that's coming out but I'd imagine the EV market is going to look much different in 3 years as opposed to today. My plan is to have the electrical panel upgraded while we're out of town next year in preparation for the swap in 2027!

One thing to keep in mind if you're getting an EV is the electrical panel in your house. We were considering one in December (after my wife totaled our 4Runner) but decided against it because the parts we would have needed to upgrade our electrical panel were on backorder for about 90 days and with our jobs we just couldn't be without a second vehicle that long.

That said, when my son turns 16 in three years I'll be passing my current car down to him and will almost certainly swap to an EV at that point. Right now I have my eye on the EV8 that's coming out but I'd imagine the EV market is going to look much different in 3 years as opposed to today. My plan is to have the electrical panel upgraded while we're out of town next year in preparation for the swap in 2027!

I mean you can charge on 110. It's painful but doable.

With luck, Tesla, forced to compete in that market, will bring similarly low cost EV's here as well, before Xiaomi gets their chance. Surely Tesla understands the importance of first to market
"Reuters is lying (again)."
-Elon Musk
"Nietzsche is dead." ~God

I mean you can charge on 110. It's painful but doable.
Yeah you definitely could but my wife didn't want to go that way. They also have the level 3 chargers right at the Target she's at 3x/week. I don't think charging would have been an issue for the first few months but she was pretty insistent that it was too much of a PITA for her. Ended up getting a Crosstrek Wilderness and she loves it so good for her.

One thing to keep in mind if you're getting an EV is the electrical panel in your house.

I lucked out in that my panel was already full with no more punchouts left thanks to the pool pump, pool heater, and wired gazebo but we have a gas dryer so the existing spot on the panel that held our unused electric dryer line was swapped out for the 60 amp breaker needed for my EVSE. It was already a 200 amp box so it could have handled the addition if there were more spots, but it saved me from having to get a subpanel or something added.

Planning my first "road trip" with my EV6, down to visit my son in Corpus Christi (I live in DFW). There's a couple Electrify America charging stations along the way so I'm planning to stop at one of those because my lease deal includes free charging at EA stations. I'll aim for the closer one so I will have options in case it's filled up when I get there, and I'm staying at a hotel that has complimentary EV charging. A little nervous since this is the first time I'm leaving the area, but leaving some extra time to make sure I don't run into any problems.

I'm thinking of getting a Tesla to J1772 adapter before I go, just to be on the safe side. There's tons of charging stations en route and in Corpus, but I am thinking better safe than sorry. Thoughts? Thoprawishes?

eta: I realized that I can't get a Supercharger to CCS1 so the adapter would be Level 2 speeds at best. I'd be better off just finding another network that can get me fast charging DC speeds, so the adapter is out... :(

Last edited:
Planning my first "road trip" with my EV6, down to visit my son in Corpus Christi (I live in DFW). There's a couple Electrify America charging stations along the way so I'm planning to stop at one of those because my lease deal includes free charging at EA stations. I'll aim for the closer one so I will have options in case it's filled up when I get there, and I'm staying at a hotel that has complimentary EV charging. A little nervous since this is the first time I'm leaving the area, but leaving some extra time to make sure I don't run into any problems.

I'm thinking of getting a Tesla to J1772 adapter before I go, just to be on the safe side. There's tons of charging stations en route and in Corpus, but I am thinking better safe than sorry. Thoughts? Thoprawishes?

eta: I realized that I can't get a Supercharger to CCS1 so the adapter would be Level 2 speeds at best. I'd be better off just finding another network that can get me fast charging DC speeds, so the adapter is out... :(

Are you sure about this? ABRP sets you to stop at the Austin Capital SC. I don't think it's completely operational yet but there's a V4 nearly done in Houston. When those V4s come online in some number it will be pretty epic.

Be 100% sure the hotel charger is working.

What’s currently being built, or on the horizon, that’s a mid size suv that can tow a bit (maybe up to 5k pounds) that’s not ridiculously expensive and that doesn’t stand out as an EV?

Like a Rivian r1s that’s closer to $50k and without those “interesting” headlights.

ETA - this Kia ev9 doesn’t look too bad at all!

What’s currently being built, or on the horizon, that’s a mid size suv that can tow a bit (maybe up to 5k pounds) that’s not ridiculously expensive and that doesn’t stand out as an EV?

Like a Rivian r1s that’s closer to $50k and without those “interesting” headlights.

We looked at the Hyundia Ioniq as an EV very comparable to our Crosstrek, which we have thoroughly enjoyed owning. It was a close third choice in the end behind the Lucid Air or a Tesla Model Y. No idea about towing though.

We looked at the Hyundia Ioniq as an EV very comparable to our Crosstrek, which we have thoroughly enjoyed owning. It was a close third choice in the end behind the Lucid Air or a Tesla Model Y. No idea about towing though.
Wife has a brand new crosstrek which she loves. We need something a touch bigger that can tow if needed for our other vehicle. I currently has a 2012 rav4 that’s been indestructible (literally 190k miles and the only thing it’s needed was a water pump during covid), which is fine for now - thinking about the next vehicle whenever the times comes.

2years away but the Rivian R2 well check all those boxes except the headlights.

That video most of the features.

Are you sure about this? ABRP sets you to stop at the Austin Capital SC. I don't think it's completely operational yet but there's a V4 nearly done in Houston. When those V4s come online in some number it will be pretty epic.

Be 100% sure the hotel charger is working.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of ABRP :) It has me stop 3 times if I limit to Level 3 EA stations, but obviously if those aren't available, I can go to others in the area. None of them are particularly remote.

The hotel charger looks pretty shabby - I think it might even be just an L1. But there are 5 different locations with CCS chargers within a mile of the hotel.

Wife has a brand new crosstrek which she loves. We need something a touch bigger that can tow if needed for our other vehicle. I currently has a 2012 rav4 that’s been indestructible (literally 190k miles and the only thing it’s needed was a water pump during covid), which is fine for now - thinking about the next vehicle whenever the times comes.

The Crosstrek and rav4 have the same towing capacity, 3500 pounds.

The Ioniq 5 is only 2,300 though so maybe a poor rec. Wonder if thats an EV thing, it felt very much the same size.

I’ve had a Kia EV6 for a rental while my car is at the auto body shop. Not a fan
Interesting. I'm curious, because I drive the EV6 right now on a lease.

What kind of car do you have that's in the shop, and what weren't you a fan of?

The Ioniq 5 is only 2,300 though so maybe a poor rec. Wonder if thats an EV thing, it felt very much the same size.

Tow ratings are funny thing. Often times the ratings are different in Europe than they are here by substantial amounts, for example the Ioniq has a tow of 3500 pounds in europe, pretty much any car that is released in europe and us that people want to tow with you can just google "why is the tow rating different for Car A europe US reddit"

To expand on this subject it is not against the law to tow more weight than your manufacturer recommends.

Most people also tow against what their manufacturer recommends, even an F150 with max towing package has in the fine print that you need a weight distribution hitch when towing over 5k, and almost nobody using a full size pickup to tow between 5-8k or any weight with a boat has a weight distribution hitch.

I follow whichever is higher between the european and american guidelines and take care not to hurt the vehicle when towing.

How far do you need to tow?

Wrong on both. Her crosstrek isn’t the wilderness model, so it’s only 1,500 rated. My RAV is also only a 4 banger, so it’s only rated to 1,500. I’d like something that’s at least rated to 4-5k.

Depends - but realistically maybe within a 2 hour or so radius. We actually just sold our ~5k pound 25’ travel trailer (we weren’t using it enough to justify it, plus we sold the tow vehicle when wife got her crosstrek). We’d like to get back into camping, and if I find the right (smaller) travel trailer I could get another - so when I replace the RAV that will be a consideration on that next vehicle. Liking the look and size (and 5k towing capacity) of the Kia EV9 (but why isn’t it called a Telluride EV?)

Last edited:

Depends - but realistically maybe within a 2 hour or so radius. We actually just sold our ~5k pound 25’ travel trailer (we weren’t using it enough to justify it, plus we sold the tow vehicle when wife got her crosstrek). We’d like to get back into camping, and if I find the right (smaller) travel trailer I could get another - so when I replace the RAV that will a consideration on that next vehicle. Liking the look and size (and 5k towing capacity) of the Kia EV9 (but why isn’t it called a Telluride EV?)
Based on my experience with the Lightning, range would likely be cut a considerable amount by the weight and aerodynamics of the trailer. Charging with a trailer attached could also be a challenge. I'd hesitate on anything over say 60-75 miles.

Depends - but realistically maybe within a 2 hour or so radius. We actually just sold our ~5k pound 25’ travel trailer (we weren’t using it enough to justify it, plus we sold the tow vehicle when wife got her crosstrek). We’d like to get back into camping, and if I find the right (smaller) travel trailer I could get another - so when I replace the RAV that will a consideration on that next vehicle. Liking the look and size (and 5k towing capacity) of the Kia EV9 (but why isn’t it called a Telluride EV?)
Based on my experience with the Lightning, range would likely be cut a considerable amount by the weight and aerodynamics of the trailer. Charging with a trailer attached could also be a challenge. I'd hesitate on anything over say 60-75 miles.
Our favorite camping/biking spots are around 100ish miles from the house. I like the idea (if possible) of recharging the vehicle at the campsite as we’re parked. Most campsites have a 30 or 50 amp plug right there at your spot.

I’ve had a Kia EV6 for a rental while my car is at the auto body shop. Not a fan
Interesting. I'm curious, because I drive the EV6 right now on a lease.

What kind of car do you have that's in the shop, and what weren't you a fan of?
I drive an Outback Wilderness. Wife has a Volvo XC 60/that she wants to replace with a Tesla Y.

I’m probably not being fair to the EV 6.The Kia has a ton of legroom but find the seat uncomfortable compared to my Outback. Granted I ruptured my left hamstring but the seat in this car doesn’t support me like the Subaru. Not a fan of the visibility or the dial placement, I have a broken right wrist . Charging is pia without a home 240v setup, definitely would install that with a Tesla. Ride seems like you feel every bump but I blame the tires. I do really like the park button

That EV9 is sexy AF. My brother just sold one to the old 49ers HC Mike Nolan. He said they are going like hot cakes right now.

My 2016 Model S needs a new drive unit (motor, inverter, etc.). Warranty is set to expire in September. That was close.
Fortunate.

What kinds of issues were you having with it?
just a bunch of error codes:
BMS_u008 - Acceleration and top speed reduced. Performance may be restored on next drive
BMS_w172 - Vehicle may not restart. Service is required (It restarted 4 times after i saw this)

Acceleration was capped and regen was disabled too. Other than that nothing noticeable. Have to give credit to the service center. i couldn't get an appointment for weeks but i just went there and they got me in. Gave me a loaner (Y), should be fixed in a week.

Tesla laying off at least10% of their workforce (15,000+ people) including some top level execs.

Maybe spending that much r&d on an ugly pickup instead of on a replacement of one of the aging vehicles was a bad idea.
This isn't a good look either.

It is going to be a decline for a while, TSLA should only be valued at 30 dollars a share if it was valued like other car companies. Laying off people is not going to fix the stock decline.

Users who are viewing this thread