What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electronic Cigarettes (3 Viewers)

I was going the vaping route until I did this. Worked like a godsend for me. I was stunned to hear that people had suicidal ideations and actions on it. I never would have known. It just . . . I was done smoking within a week. I went back during a stressor in 2015 for about two months, but I used the same medication and quickly quit again from then until the present. So one period of about three-four years followed by a relapse, which was followed by another eight year period of no smoking. I'll take it considering it came not from will, but from a pill.

That said, I appreciate your dogged tenacity to follow the studies and literature instead of relying on an establishment that has its own incentives and shibboleths about what is desirable and undesirable.
Vaping isn’t the most effective way to quit smoking, and its long term impact on health is unclear. So it isn’t surprising vaping hasn’t been embraced by mainstream medicine.
You have a link to this claim, because this is American thinking only. I really try to avoid sounding like a conspiracy theorist on this issue, but there is a lot of tobacco money floating around. I also do not want to see another generation of nicotine dependency arise. But, there is non-American research that directly contradicts what you are saying.

Research led by the University of Oxford, and funded by Cancer Research UK, has found the strongest evidence yet that e-cigarettes, also known as ‘vapes’, help people to quit smoking better than traditional nicotine replacement therapies, such as patches and chewing gums.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2022-11-1...y the University,as patches and chewing gums.

I was going the vaping route until I did this. Worked like a godsend for me. I was stunned to hear that people had suicidal ideations and actions on it. I never would have known. It just . . . I was done smoking within a week. I went back during a stressor in 2015 for about two months, but I used the same medication and quickly quit again from then until the present. So one period of about three-four years followed by a relapse, which was followed by another eight year period of no smoking. I'll take it considering it came not from will, but from a pill.

That said, I appreciate your dogged tenacity to follow the studies and literature instead of relying on an establishment that has its own incentives and shibboleths about what is desirable and undesirable.
Vaping isn’t the most effective way to quit smoking, and its long term impact on health is unclear. So it isn’t surprising vaping hasn’t been embraced by mainstream medicine.
You have a link to this claim, because this is American thinking only. I really try to avoid sounding like a conspiracy theorist on this issue, but there is a lot of tobacco money floating around. I also do not want to see another generation of nicotine dependency arise. But, there is non-American research that directly contradicts what you are saying.

Research led by the University of Oxford, and funded by Cancer Research UK, has found the strongest evidence yet that e-cigarettes, also known as ‘vapes’, help people to quit smoking better than traditional nicotine replacement therapies, such as patches and chewing gums.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2022-11-17-e-cigarettes-are-more-effective-nicotine-replacement-therapy-helping-smokers-quit#:~:text=Research led by the University,as patches and chewing gums.
Don’t have time to get into the weeds atm, but this is a decent summary:
Objective To systematically review the effectiveness and safety of pharmacotherapy, behavioral interventions, and electronic cigarettes for tobacco cessation among adults, including pregnant persons, to inform the US Preventive Services Task Force.
Study Selection Systematic reviews of tobacco cessation interventions and randomized clinical trials that evaluated the effects of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) or pharmacotherapy among pregnant persons.

Results Sixty-seven reviews addressing pharmacotherapy and behavioral interventions were included as well as 9 trials (N = 3942) addressing e-cigarettes for smoking cessation and 7 trials (N = 2285) of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) use in pregnancy. Combined pharmacotherapy and behavioral interventions (pooled risk ratio [RR], 1.83 [95% CI, 1.68-1.98]), NRT (RR, 1.55 [95% CI, 1.49-1.61]), bupropion (RR, 1.64 [95% CI, 1.52-1.77]), varenicline (RR, 2.24 [95% CI, 2.06-2.43]), and behavioral interventions such as advice from clinicians (RR, 1.76 [95% CI, 1.58-1.96]) were all associated with increased quit rates compared with minimal support or placebo at 6 months or longer. None of the drugs were associated with serious adverse events. Five trials (n = 3117) reported inconsistent findings on the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes on smoking cessation at 6 to 12 months among smokers when compared with placebo or NRT, and none suggested higher rates of serious adverse events. Among pregnant persons, behavioral interventions were associated with greater smoking cessation during late pregnancy (RR, 1.35 [95% CI, 1.23-1.48]), compared with no intervention. Rates of validated cessation among pregnant women allocated to NRT compared with placebo were not significantly different (pooled RR, 1.11 [95% CI, 0.79-1.56], n = 2033).

Conclusions and Relevance There is strong evidence that a range of pharmacologic and behavioral interventions, both individually and in combination, are effective in increasing smoking cessation in nonpregnant adults. In pregnancy, behavioral interventions are effective for smoking cessation, but data are limited on the use of pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation. Data on the effectiveness and safety of electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation among adults are also limited and results are inconsistent.
Tl;dr Multimodal interventions improve the likelihood of quitting, including pharmacologic approaches. Chantix has the best success rate, roughly doubling the quit rate. E-cig data is inconsistent.

Users who are viewing this thread