What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elements of Rock Era Music draft - Categories firming up, Sign Up here (1 Viewer)

KarmaPolice said:
Love these drafts, but this one is over my head.  GB you guys for doing it, and very interested in hearing the selections.  Categories and main theme of the draft should push some songs we don't normally get in these.  
This is a bit over my head too KP, but that is also what makes it interesting. It is forcing me to learn more about music structure and go beyond some of my normal music/artists!

Join if they'll let you!!!

This is a bit over my head too KP, but that is also what makes it interesting. It is forcing me to learn more about music structure and go beyond some of my normal music/artists!

Join if they'll let you!!!
Yep.  Guarantee you know as much or more about music than me, but I always find new stuff with these. 

It looks to me like the front page has the most recent categories list -- Wildcard Solo is out and Lead Vocals are split between Male and Female.
Thanks. It is also says "rock era". So does that mean any genre of music written/recorded after the mid-40s? Was there a final decision on that?

I will try to find an old draft spreadsheet and get it set up.

No rush since we don't seem to be making picks. :excited:

1.02 overall structure (though I might change that, there's a lot of options here) - led zeppelin starway to heaven.  

Simply an iconic song, as much as it is and was played, calling it overplayed would be like calling the Sistine Chapel pretentious.  Is it the best song ever written? The argument can be made and you can't have a legitimate discussion about the greatest ever without including it. 

Hate skip in the first round ... but this is the busiest part of my work week. Still mulling over a few things, so I don't want to snap-pick. Will be able to pick later in the morning.

Didn't we limit ourselves - not a real rule? 

How about turntable and sampling? 
Yes this is right one the one per artist, it is not an official rule, you take a band as many times as you want, some people may mock you for it, though in this draft it seems like it's more acceptable, especially if the early trend of taking songs that influenced other bands to use these elements continues.

I'm fine with it, it's sometime unavoidable but it shouldn't come up too often I don't think. I guess a song like Stairway heaven could fit in multiple categories...
Good, I was thinking about this on my run this morning when, coincidentally, stairway came on the radio.  I could see where others might want to take the same song for a different reason, and different part of the song.  Probably best to outlaw that outright. 

1.06 - LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends" (Instrument - Keyboard)

This song could fit about half the categories for me, crescendo, ending, unique song structure, etc.  Simply one of my favorite songs of all-time.  And it beats the hell out of the keyboard with the same ### #### mesmerizing keyboard line for the full 7+ minutes.

Live version from their "final" show at MSG.  Where are your friends tonight?

• Acoustic Guitar
  • Electric Guitar
  • Bass Guitar
  • Drums
  • Piano (Acoustic)
  • Keyboard (Electric) - LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends"
  • Synths (Computer/Synthetic)
  • Strings
  • Woodwind/Saxophone
  • Brass/Horns 
  • Harmonica
  • Non-Traditional Instrument
  • "World" Instrument
  • Solo Vocal Performance - Male
  • Solo Vocal Performance - Female
  • Harmony
  • Choir
  • Backing Vocal
  • Falsetto
  • Intro
  • Song Ending/Coda
  • Bridge
  • Chorus
  • Crescendo
  • Overall Unique Structure
  • Autotune/Processed Vocals
  • Sampling
  • Layering
  • Non Musical Sound Effect
  • Mixing/Mastering

Last edited by a moderator:
1.06 - LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends" (Instrument - Keyboard)

This song could fit about half the categories for me, crescendo, ending, unique song structure, etc.  Simply one of my favorite songs of all-time.  And it beats the hell out of the keyboard with the same ### #### mesmerizing keyboard line for the full 7+ minutes.

Live version from their "final" show at MSG.  Where are your friends tonight?

• Acoustic Guitar
  • Electric Guitar
  • Bass Guitar
  • Drums
  • Piano (Acoustic)
  • Keyboard (Electric) - LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends"
  • Synths (Computer/Synthetic)
  • Strings
  • Woodwind/Saxophone
  • Brass/Horns 
  • Harmonica
  • Non-Traditional Instrument
  • "World" Instrument
  • Solo Vocal Performance - Male
  • Solo Vocal Performance - Female
  • Harmony
  • Choir
  • Backing Vocal
  • Falsetto
  • Intro
  • Song Ending/Coda
  • Bridge
  • Chorus
  • Crescendo
  • Overall Unique Structure
  • Autotune/Processed Vocals
  • Sampling
  • Layering
  • Non Musical Sound Effect
  • Mixing/Mastering

Reveal hidden contents
I think you introduced me to lcd soundsystem during one of the last drafts.  Good stuff :thumbup:

Alright, here is the sheet for the draft. Pull Down Menu in the Categories Cells.

This is version 1.0, as I am having issues with being able to sort by categories and artists with empty spaces. I'll update it when I figure it out. (Not all that necessary in Round1! ;) )

Let me know if there are any issues.

I think you introduced me to lcd soundsystem during one of the last drafts.  Good stuff :thumbup:
I feel like I've drafted a bunch of their songs in drafts over the years.  I wanted to do all female vocalists for this draft but there's 1-2 categories that require a male vocalist so that was out the window so I'll throw this one out there early.

This one has both a fantastic horn solo intro, then a continuous horn accent all the way through that highlights all the best parts of the chorus ( I know there is sax in here as well but I'm going horns).

1.07 - "Sir Duke" - Stevie Wonder - Horns

This one has both a fantastic horn solo intro, then a continuous horn accent all the way through that highlights all the best parts of the chorus ( I know there is sax in here as well but I'm going horns).

Video doesn't work. Says 'not available in your country.'

Love that tune.  I was planning to take all the songs I've used as ring tones over the years but alas, I'd be missing this one. 

Mild snipe here, though my pockets are pretty deep here.

Loved hearing the exuberance of "Sir Duke" as a little kid ... did not understand at the time the throwback elements of the horn work.

1.01 Bass Guitar: "Paperback Writer" The Beatles
This pick deserves some love. Sir Paul switched basses for this record, going with a Rickenbacker -- and also going with an unconventional recording technique to bump up the sound. From Mark Lewinsohn's The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions (p 74):

There had for some time been puzzlement at Abbey Road as to why records cut in America sounded so much better than British cuts. The bass content in particular was greatly diminished on British records. Jerry Boys has a clear recollection of John Lennon demanding to know why the bass on a certain Wilson Pickett record far exceeded any Beatles disc. Certainly one has to listen very intently to hear Paul McCartney's bass playing on Beatles records pre-1966. But on 'Paperback Writer' all that changed. In fact, the bass is the most striking feature of the record.

"'Paperback Writer' was the first time the bass sound had been heard in all its excitement," says Geoff Emerick. "For a start, Paul played a different bass, a Rickenbacker. Then we boosted it further by using a loudspeaker as a microphone. We positioned it directly in front of the bass speaker and the moving diaphragm of the second speaker made the electric current." This was another invention of Ken Townsend's — but he paid the price, being called in to the office of Bill Livy, chief technical engineer, and reprimanded for matching impedances incorrectly! ( :P  - DB)

From his disc-cutting experience, Emerick knew that record companies were loathe to press a million copies of a record if the high bass content was likely to make the stylus jump. Tony Clark, yet another top engineer and producer in later years, cut the master lacquer of 'Paperback Writer'. "It was EMI's first high-level cut and I used a wonderful new machine just invented by the backroom boys, ATOC — Automatic Transient Overload Control. It was a huge box with flashing lights and what looked like the eye of a Cyclops staring out at you. But it did the trick. I did two cuts, one with ATOC and one without, played them to George Martin and he approved of the high-level one."

One hour clock tomorrow during the day cool with everyone? Everyone will have known we've started at that point so shouldn't be a major concern 

OK by me.

While I have your attention! ;) For the sake of this draft, does a guitar solo as the 'bridge?'

And also are we qualifying a falsetto as someone singing well above their normal range, not just someone who happens to have a high voice?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, this one is a bit out of my normal knowledge in terminology, so I am investigating it harder, which makes it more fun!

Ok thought about it a bit and decided just use new music I've collected since I got Spotify in 2012. 

OK by me.

While I have your attention! ;) For the sake of this draft, does a guitar solo as the 'bridge?'

And also are we qualifying a falsetto as someone singing well above their normal range, not just someone who happens to have a high voice?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, this one is a bit out of my normal knowledge in terminology, so I am investigating it harder, which makes it more fun!
On the second one, yes, I think it has to be above their normal range. If someone has a great high voice or range, they can be taken in one of the solo vocal categories, if you think they fit there.

OK by me.

On the second one, yes, I think it has to be above their normal range. If someone has a great high voice or range, they can be taken in one of the solo vocal categories, if you think they fit there.
That's what I thought, just wanted to cover my bases before choosing a song. Better to ask the question than to look like an idiot with a pick!!

I have updated the spreadsheet with all of the picks so far.

I picked videos for Paperback Writer, Stairway to Heaven, and Sir Duke. (Since the one in NV's posting didn't seem to work in the US.) If you want different videos, no problem, just update the field.

Please keep the chart updated, I will have a couple other sheets for it shortly.

Thanks!

Ok now that I have found the direction I want to go, let's get back to harmonies. I knew exactly what album I wanted, it was just a matter of picking the right song. Hummingbird a is beautiful album full of great harmonies from one of the best Cali Indie rock bands. 

1.9 "Ceilings" Local Natives (2013) - HARMONIES 

I have updated the spreadsheet with all of the picks so far.

I picked videos for Paperback Writer, Stairway to Heaven, and Sir Duke. (Since the one in NV's posting didn't seem to work in the US.) If you want different videos, no problem, just update the field.

Please keep the chart updated, I will have a couple other sheets for it shortly.

Thanks!
Great work, but you need to adjust the access. It's view only. 

Users who are viewing this thread