What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DR★ Music Draft reopened: make any outstanding picks and let's talk about the next draft (1 Viewer)

me sainted Irish ma - to whom i just fed shepherd's pie, and with whom i just discussed how disgusting it is that mlbTV's greed wont let her watch Sox/Astros gm1 - and Miss Fleming were born four days apart. both redheads too (similarity ends there).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr CIA correctly predicted that my 2a or 2b songwriter would have been Townes Van Zandt.  I’m not surprised he wasn’t selected, though.  I am surprised that, unless I missed it, no one took Hank Williams?
I love many Townes songs, but one above all others makes my mind drop to its knees.So high, and so low.

Be Here To Love Me

First off, I hope no one stays away because of the drama in this one. Joe might have been a little itchy on the delete trigger, but keep in mind, he has transformed this from an unsustainable trolling grounds into a much better site with real discussion and a huge discount in inappropriate behavior.
There's a multiple day, multiple page thread on page one about getting $5 bjs from crack addicts that contains a half dozen ridiculous racist comments... but the sex and drugs music draft was axed before it started and this one was whacked based on one comment. I don't understand why, I think the participants in the music threads have been consistently among the most respectful, most "community oriented" and never trolling but for some reason Joe has it out for the music threads. There is no rhyme or reason to it and it's clearly driven a lot of good contributors away :( .

There's a multiple day, multiple page thread on page one about getting $5 bjs from crack addicts that contains a half dozen ridiculous racist comments... but the sex and drugs music draft was axed before it started and this one was whacked based on one comment. I don't understand why, I think the participants in the music threads have been consistently among the most respectful, most "community oriented" and never trolling but for some reason Joe has it out for the music threads. There is no rhyme or reason to it and it's clearly driven a lot of good contributors away :( .
I took out a thread about it. We got it reinstated. I think Joe Bryant is doing his best. I try and start music threads all the time; they don't drive the traffic other threads do, unless you and Tasker are there, that is. We need a cleverer person doing so.  

Missed you guys this draft. 

eta* and KP, JML, simey, and others, too.  

Last Monday was a bad day.  Everybody gets a mulligan.
Yup. I agree with this, too. I refrained, but I might have needed one. Emotions were raw and not fun. 

It's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. I only hope my squeaky wheel didn't demand grease too much, but merely spoke up a bit.  

OK, last two members of my group, DamNation:

10xx. Laura Nyro, songwriter. Upstairs by a Chinese Lamp Probably the least appreciated great artist of my lifetime and source of my deepest fan adoration before i got into the biz myself, which changes everything in that manner of feeling. Not that she was obscure. Before 1970, no American musical act made diddly from album sales (usually 2-3 cents an album). Dylan broke the seal at Columbia and then David Geffen made his bones by negotiating the largest American record deal in history for his one-horse stable, largely off the promise in her songs covered by Fifth Dimension & Three Dog Night. Unfortunately, he flipped that into the chance to sign just about everyone in Laurel Canyon and left Miss Nyro flat. Since he built his relationship with Laura by becoming her confidant (taking all the 4am calls & such, calming the doubts of reaching), almost her ego-by-proxy, i dont think she ever stabilized, never mind recovered, from the betrayal.

Now the personal part. All boys & girls knew about each other in the 60s was that getting one was naughty & spectacular. I had more experience than most of my counterparts because i was in a lot of communes as a runaway, but was still a fumbler in almost every way. When i got back to school in the winter of my senior year, i got thunderstruck by a stunning (almost the spitting image, oddly enough, of the girl in Petty's Free Falling vid) art-class chick (the worst, right?), who was like 47 times outta my league. If i didnt have big cred from already having been out in the cold, cruel world i never would have even tried. But i still needed an in, so i listened close and found out that, like most art-class chicks, she was a big fan of this girl singer who wore all black & such. Just so happened that a day or two later, the radio announced that Laura Nyro was playing Boston and tickets were going on sale the next day. Up before the sun, i drove into town and was among the first in the creepiest line i ever stood in. Fifth row center, baby. Summoned all my courage, asked my dreamdish, got me a date.

But that weren't enough. I wanted to know this singer i'm taking her to. Bought Nyro's three records and found out, boom, this was like the Coltrane of chicks. She was like an explorer's rough-won map of the coastline of femaleness. All the depth and exposure and fear and love and secrets and creepiness (again) i had NO idea went on inside those pretty hearts. And the concert was more of the same. But the weird thing was that, even though you knew that everyone watching Miss Nyro pound at her piano with all those weird partial chords that were as mysterious as KRichards's 5-string guitar tunings, knew every word of every song, none of them sang along (i never understood why folks do that anyway, but they do). It's like they weren't going to miss a single intonation from the Mistress of their pain & hope. Extraordinary.

And the best was yet to come. As me & my girl walked the cold night back to the car, she hooked my arm in a way i remember as tenderly as anything in my life. Our walk got a rhythm that said "man with woman" instead of "man vs. woman" and i understood. A few glorious months ensued before status & college got in the way. And i've chased that feeling ever since,

In a great moment of serendipity, i got to watch the Mistress at work just a few years later. I was at a recording studio and an engineer friend invited me along to deliver some tapes to a recording session on the North Shore. Turns out it was Miss Nyro recording her Smile album and i got to see what i'd heard about her arranging technique. She had synesthesia, saw sounds as colors and i watched her berate the great windsman Joe Farrell for not playing "orange" enough.
Just discovered this tonight while bouncing around YouTube. I should have stumbled across it a long time ago, but this is a the song I've been missing.

Poverty Train

I love many Townes songs, but one above all others makes my mind drop to its knees.So high, and so low.

Be Here To Love Me
Never heard of him but his music's a little folksy for me. I like his stories though, so I listened to a compilation and came across this one. The 1st comment made me want to listen to some more.
Pro Tip: Do not listen to Townes if you are feeling down or depressed. He will drag you down like a one-ton anchor.

Used to have a crush on Dawn from En Vogue/It's not like honey dip would want to get with me/But just in case I brought my condoms for TLC - Phife Dawg, RIP 

I am back from vacation, so I could try to organize this if:

1.  @Mr. Ected is around to fire up a spreadsheet since I suck at those

2.  @Eephus  explains that dice thingy to me for the category roll. 

I have about 5 genres in mind,and I am sure that most of you do as well. 
I will do the spreadsheet thing. I can run them, not as good at coming up with the concepts!

Saw The Pretenders on Austin City Limits couple night ago and was reminded how well two of their OGs - kickASS bassist Pete Farndon & guitarist (along with Andy Summers, the best guitarist of the era @ finding those li'lsum'ns that make a song) James Honeyman-Scott would have fit the RIP bands we just drafted.

So what are we doing here?
AFAIK, there have been three ideas floating around:

1. 1965-85 draft w/ some sort of hits exclusion
  2. Best of the last decade
  3. Another Genrepalooza
I'm game for any of the three.  I can consult on Genrepalooza rules but don't have time for commissioneering.

Users who are viewing this thread