What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DR★ Music Draft reopened: make any outstanding picks and let's talk about the next draft (1 Viewer)

AFAIK, there have been three ideas floating around:

1. 1965-85 draft w/ some sort of hits exclusion
  2. Best of the last decade
  3. Another Genrepalooza
I'm game for any of the three.  I can consult on Genrepalooza rules but don't have time for commissioneering.
Another thought is categories, maybe mix them in with genres.

Another thought is categories, maybe mix them in with genres.
I think this is accomplished with the Genrepalooza.  Kinda gives each of us a shot at our own draft all mixed together.  Ie if somebody want to do non-billboard hit songs from '65-85, that's cool.  If somebody wants their selction to be only songs from the 2010s, cool.  I think we had a good mix of stuff last time, and it doesn't have to specifically be a genre like punk. 

ETA:  I think Eephus was more about still being as broad as possible with your genre/categories because it still let's everybody bring more of their personality to the draft, and it's more likely that your nomination will have draft selections for it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ETA:  I think Eephus was more about still being as broad as possible with your genre/categories because it still let's everybody bring more of their personality to the draft, and it's more likely that your nomination will have draft selections for it. 
Yeah, the new nicer, more passive aggressive me let Floppo's obvious go-go song slide as the New Jack Swing without so much as a snarky comment.

I think this is accomplished with the Genrepalooza.  Kinda gives each of us a shot at our own draft all mixed together.  Ie if somebody want to do non-billboard hit songs from '65-85, that's cool.  If somebody wants their selction to be only songs from the 2010s, cool.  I think we had a good mix of stuff last time, and it doesn't have to specifically be a genre like punk. 
Squeezebox was one of the best Genrepalooza categories IMO and that was hardly a genre at all.

I hadn't look much at Genrepalooza, since I wasn't participating. WOW. That was huge.

If we wanted to do that, I'd be in.

Did you have people who didn't know anything about a genre? Did you allow people to skip a genre?

As I was reading thru the first couple pages to get a grip on the draft, I came across this note from Eephus. Seems interesting, you have a "Round 0" when everyone picks their Genre.

If I could change one thing, I would have excluded the songs from the genre round.  There's been great stuff picked but everybody has been too preoccupied with the genres to comment much on the songs.  C'est la vie.  I encourage people to repost song links w/ writeups preferably drunk Cinco de Mayo ones.

Yeah, the new nicer, more passive aggressive me let Floppo's obvious go-go song slide as the New Jack Swing without so much as a snarky comment.
:goodposting:  
btw... listening to that playlist/draft know... I forgot that I picked Al B. Sure!- Nite and Day for the New Jack. I don't remember if we had a go-go category... but I'm sure I wouldn't have taken Da Butt. IIRC, maybe that was a charting tune? honestly don't remember all the categories from that one. 

I think the big problem last time was length*

Depending on the number of drafters, it might be better to roll four genres instead of three.

*(that's what she said)

Depending on the number of drafters, it might be better to roll four genres instead of three.

*(that's what she said)
I assume you mean that it wasn't long enough? Didn't quite make 50 rounds.

(again, that's what she said)

*(that's what she said)
You had 25 people, which based on Mrs. Rannous description of the 2/3 per 'group' that makes for 16 picks total each. 16 rounds x 25 people = 400 picks in all. That's a ton. In this draft, (11 Rounds, 15 Drafters) we only had 165 picks.

I'm throwing water on the fire. GII: It's the sequel everyone wanted. Everyone walked out of theater stoked, man, stoked!  

GII can't possibly live up to Genrepalooza. 

I'm throwing water on the fire. GII: It's the sequel everyone wanted. Everyone walked out of theater stoked, man, stoked!  

GII can't possibly live up to Genrepalooza. 
I don't know, as I see the genre/categories definitely becoming more "interesting".  I know there were a lot of comments about people already having ideas for the next one while we were drafting for I. 

You had 25 people, which based on Mrs. Rannous description of the 2/3 per 'group' that makes for 16 picks total each. 16 rounds x 25 people = 400 picks in all. That's a ton. In this draft, (11 Rounds, 15 Drafters) we only had 165 picks.
It went 47 rounds :bag:  

I liked the randomness of the dice.  I don't remember many complaints about a category coming up three times.  In fact, there were some that I hoped were rolled again.
Sounds good.  How about I fire up a thread and see about the interest level for a sequel?  I have time to commish and steer the ship.   What site did you use for your dice roll thingies?

I wanted IN, but if there is math involved count me OUT.

AFAIK, there have been three ideas floating around:

1. 1965-85 draft w/ some sort of hits exclusion
  2. Best of the last decade
  3. Another Genrepalooza
I'm game for any of the three.  I can consult on Genrepalooza rules but don't have time for commissioneering.
Love option 2, then option 1. 

The dice rolling is the easy part.  You'll only have to roll 3 or 4 d1000 every other round. 

You don't need to worry about the rolls until people have joined the draft and nominated their categories.  

The dice rolling is the easy part.  You'll only have to roll 3 or 4 d1000 every other round. 

You don't need to worry about the rolls until people have joined the draft and nominated their categories.  
What you did is give each category a range of numbers and you rolled a 1000 die? 

So if we have 25 genres, genre 1 is 1-40, genre 2 is 41-80, etc..

Also, is there a reason you did this vs using a 25d? 

Or either of the other 2 options. 
The other two options (or any others) are fair game.

I think a 2007-2017 (or 2000-2017) draft would be good although it might eliminate some drafters.

I thought the 65-85 deep cuts was happening for a while there so I figured out my gimmick.

What you did is give each category a range of numbers and you rolled a 1000 die? 

So if we have 25 genres, genre 1 is 1-40, genre 2 is 41-80, etc..
:yes:   if 1000 isn't evenly divisible by the number of drafters, round everything down and have the remainder (e.g. 986-1000) be a single die reroll.

I liked the randomness of the dice.  I don't remember many complaints about a category coming up three times.  In fact, there were some that I hoped were rolled again.
I had no problem with a category coming up 3 times, the problem I had was categories not coming up at all after 30 odd rounds, especially when it was mine (and yours)

your genrekaboodle thing looks interesting but also a bit intimidating
It was oodles of fun, though.  Lots of really interesting picks, plus lots of discussion and personal connections to the music.  It was kind of relaxing to do, since there was no pressure to draft from a limited list in a category.

Users who are viewing this thread