What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elements of Rock Era Music draft - Categories firming up, Sign Up here (1 Viewer)

Okay, next up, who is actually in this thing? 7 have said they're in and I'm assuming from their multiple posts in here that Eephus and Mr Ected are in. 

NV

Steve Tasker

Doug B

sn0mm1s

Eephus

Mr. Ected

JML

Iluv80s

Encyclopedia Brown

FUBAR?

wikkidpissah?

I'm not sold on autotune as a category in a draft with rock in the title.  The specific software is a relatively recent invention (c. 1997) and hasn't figured as prominently in rock as it has in rap, dance and R&B.  That's not to say 21st century rock vocals haven't been pitch corrected using Auto-Tune (e.g. Chinese Democracy) but it's generally been used more discreetly than artistically.

As a replacement, I'll throw out song ending.   We've covered codas as a type of ending but I'm talking about the very last note before the silence.

brohans i love me some music threads but this one is like ninety four levels of music knowledge above my head can you guys do youtube links to the songs you pick so that for chumps like me it will be easy to listen to the songs you pick for best autotuned french horn coda or whatever that would rule thanks bromigos take that to the bank and good luck altho i have been messing around i think this is cool take that to the bank 

I'm not sold on autotune as a category in a draft with rock in the title.  The specific software is a relatively recent invention (c. 1997) and hasn't figured as prominently in rock as it has in rap, dance and R&B.  That's not to say 21st century rock vocals haven't been pitch corrected using Auto-Tune (e.g. Chinese Democracy) but it's generally been used more discreetly than artistically.

As a replacement, I'll throw out song ending.   We've covered codas as a type of ending but I'm talking about the very last note before the silence.
False endings would also be an option

I read "rock" to mean generically any modern-ish music.  If we can't draft rap, dance, and R&B songs in this draft, I'm not sure my catalog is deep enough to put together a mix that I'll really enjoy :oldunsure:  

Could drop "Autotune" and split "Solo Vocal Performance" into two: "Solo Vocal Performance - Male" and "Solo Vocal Performance - Female".

We've never been specific to just "rock" in any of these, I can change the title to make "rock" into "music" or something, just no one draft all symphonies, okay?

I don't think I have the availability to keep up with this one, but will follow along and #### on picks

Northern Voice said:
False endings would also be an option
How about just endings in general (including codas)?   I think we're better off with fewer, better defined categories.

Sure, endings and codas as one category. Autotune in or out and if out, 29 rounds, or new category to add (male and female vocal performances)?

We've never been specific to just "rock" in any of these, I can change the title to make "rock" into "music" or something, just no one draft all symphonies, okay?
"Popular music, Billboard Hot 100 singles chart era"? Basically, 1955-present. Pretty much captures all modern recorded popular music. Rock, R&B/soul, dance/disco, electronica, whatever.

rock era?

but jazz without any rock element totally out, right?
"Yeah, probably" to the bolded. Seems that -- for the purposes of this exercise -- jazz has some of the unfair advantages that classical does, just in different areas.

I'm fine with no genre restrictions :shrug:  .  If it's jazz, it's probably new to me and I'd be happy to be exposed to something new.

Guess I didn't see the rock part. Going to be hard for me to fill without jazz, classical, etc. Can still probably do it, it just eliminates about 50% of the music I listen to. 

Sure, every draft needs a Cleveland Browns type owner to laugh at.

I'm fine with no genre restrictions :shrug:  .  If it's jazz, it's probably new to me and I'd be happy to be exposed to something new.
Agreed, exposure is why I play along. 

please remember to post youtube links to your pick when people ask why say its for the old swcer take that to the bank brohans 

Doug B said:
Nice proposal.

I, for one, can go more than 30 rounds. To keep it from getting stale and dragging on, we can get creative with format: two-at-a-time draft slots for later rounds, etc.
If you make 30+ categories, and you hold it to 30 rounds or less, everyone doesn't need to fill every category.

And I'm in.

Northern Voice said:
I think there are only 10 of us, so 30 rounds will still go quickly. I'll likely stick JML and Iluv80s at the bottom since they're on autoskip. THIS IS LAST CALL

NV

Steve Tasker

Doug B

sn0mm1s

Eephus

Mr. Ected

JML

Iluv80s

Encyclopedia Brown

FUBAR

wikkidpissah?
I think there are only 10 of us, so 30 rounds will still go quickly. I'll likely stick JML and Iluv80s at the bottom since they're on autoskip. THIS IS LAST CALL

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Tasker said:
Cover song category?

If you make 30+ categories, and you hold it to 30 rounds or less, everyone doesn't need to fill every category.

And I'm in.
I'm good with cover songs. To be honest, I'm also now thinking we should do something to incorporate lyrics/song writing as well as it seems to be overlooked at the moment and can be a pretty key "element".

Will this draft be like others where we are only allowed to do only one pick from a band/performer for your whole draft? Might be nice to be able to do more than one.

Will this draft be like others where we are only allowed to do only one pick from a band/performer for your whole draft? Might be nice to be able to do more than one.
Didn't we limit ourselves - not a real rule? 

How about turntable and sampling? 

Didn't we limit ourselves - not a real rule? 

How about turntable and sampling? 
There are always different levels of nerdom

Sampling is a category.  A turntable could be a non-traditional instrument.

We should be able to think of something better than wildcard solo.  That's not even a good band name.

NV

Steve Tasker

Doug B

sn0mm1s

Eephus

Mr. Ected

JML

Iluv80s

Encyclopedia Brown

FUBAR

Roll(10d100)+0:

Re roll Roll(2d100)+0:
72,33,+0

Low to high.

Draft Order

1.01 Encylopedia Brown

1.02 FUBAR

1.03 JML

1.04 Doug B

1.05 Mr Ected

1.06 Steve Tasker

1.07 Northern Voice

1.08 Ilub80s

1.09 Eephus

1.10 sn0mm1s

Eephus said:
We should be able to think of something better than wildcard solo.  That's not even a good band name.
We can drop Wildcard Solo and we have 30 categories.

Instruments (13)

Acoustic Guitar

Electric Guitar

Bass Guitar

Drums

Piano (Acoustic)

Keyboard (Electric)

Synths (Computer/Synthetic)

Strings

Woodwind/Saxophone (recorders, flutes, oboes, clarinets, saxophones, and bassoons)

Brass/Horns (horns, trumpets, trombones, euphoniums, or tubas)

Harmonica

Non-Traditional Instrument

"World" Instrument

Wildcard Solo

Vocal (6)

Solo Vocal Performance - Male

Solo Vocal Performance - Female

Harmony

Choir

Backing Vocal

Falsetto

Structure (6)

Intro

Song Ending/Coda

Bridge

Chorus

Crescendo

Overall Unique Structure

Production (5)

Autotune/Processed Vocals

Sampling

Layering

Non Musical Sound Effect

Mixing/Mastering

I'm doing alright with most of these, but struggling with harmonica.  Not that I can't find a harmonica song, but one that I actually enjoy......gonna have to do some digging on that one.

Can we broaden auto-tune to something like processed vocals?

I still don't love the category

Love these drafts, but this one is over my head.  GB you guys for doing it, and very interested in hearing the selections.  Categories and main theme of the draft should push some songs we don't normally get in these.  

First post updated with most recent categories. I'm okay with not getting much drafting in this week, to make sure we nail the categories because it's kind of a complicated one I know.

aka: I want the weekend to study

Help me with this category, but what does 'Layering' mean. I'm not really an Electronic music fan, so some of this is new to me!

I understand some of it is playing the same instrument again and again, and then playing those notes at the same time. Is that right?

Could it also be where the same vocalist is singing different lines over the same piece of music?

Can we broaden auto-tune to something like processed vocals?

I still don't love the category
That's all auto-tune really is, anyhow. People have been plugging mics into guitar amps and effects boxes for 60+ years.

I'm wondering if we should just open the auto-tune/processed vocals category to use of distortion in general.  I don't want to discourage drafters by making categories too arcane. 

I'm wondering if we should just open the auto-tune/processed vocals category to use of distortion in general.  I don't want to discourage drafters by making categories too arcane. 
"Vocal distortion" is kind of it's own thing, though -- IOW and for example, things like "distorted guitars" are already accounted for under "electric guitar". "Distorted piano" (broadly) is really just "(electric) keys" or "synth".

Help me with this category, but what does 'Layering' mean. I'm not really an Electronic music fan, so some of this is new to me!
Your thoughts on what layering means is pretty much correct, if narrow. Here's some simple wiki articles that will catch you up.

Multitrack recording (first three paragraphs)
Wall of Sound (first three paragraphs)
Wall of Sound/Layering (five paragraphs)
History of multitrack recording/Impact on popular music (seven paragraphs)

What does layering mean? (from IDM Forums  - Electronic Music and Production)

NV

Steve Tasker

Doug B

sn0mm1s

Eephus

Mr. Ected

JML

Iluv80s

Encyclopedia Brown

FUBAR

Roll(10d100)+0:

Re roll Roll(2d100)+0:
72,33,+0

Low to high.

Draft Order

1.01 Encylopedia Brown

1.02 FUBAR

1.03 JML

1.04 Doug B

1.05 Mr Ected

1.06 Steve Tasker

1.07 Northern Voice

1.08 Ilub80s

1.09 Eephus

1.10 sn0mm1s
:) locked and loaded for 1.02

Maybe not.   Need to think.

Your thoughts on what layering means is pretty much correct, if narrow. Here's some simple wiki articles that will catch you up.

Multitrack recording (first three paragraphs)
Wall of Sound (first three paragraphs)
Wall of Sound/Layering (five paragraphs)
History of multitrack recording/Impact on popular music (seven paragraphs)

What does layering mean? (from IDM Forums  - Electronic Music and Production)
:goodposting: Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread