What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eric Cantor defeated by David Brat (1 Viewer)

It's fascinating because this type of passion in off years is going to push the GOP further right which in turn is going to completely #### them in presidential years.
Good. We already have Democrats, we don't need Democrat-Lite. Not sure why so many are so afraid of a true two party system. And if things keep fracturing maybe even 3 or 4 parties. That would be fine too. People the globe over want a time out on unfettered immigration. Politicians ignore that at their peril (see Cantor, Eric).
Please do explain. Because I know immigration to the U.S. is actually quite, well, fetterred. Curious what country you are talking about here, since you state people the globe over.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/06/10/Report-Illegals-Waving-at-Agents-to-Detain-Them-Near-Border-Hoping-for-Permit-to-Remain-in-US

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/9/editorial-the-childrens-hour/#ixzz34FktLx7J
Yeah, come to me without breitbart and let's talk. Seriously, is that supposed to help anyone's argument?

For legit issues - and our border is certainly one - let's work with something only half bull####. Like fox or msnbc.

District hasn't had a Democrat for Rep. since 1971
It still won't unless Cantor runs a write-in campaign and splits the R vote. The nutjob will win easily. Hilarious.
I don't know anything about Brat....what has he done to be labeled as a nutjob?
Supported by the Tea Party.

Follower of Milton Friedman.

Rabid anti-immigration advocate, so much so that he attacked Cantor - with evident success - for the weak sauce Republican "alternative" to the DREAM Act.

Did I mention, supported by the Tea Party?
No....you look like the nutjob for labeling someone without knowing anything about that person.
:lmao:

I just told you all about him. I knew who he was four weeks or so ago: did you?
So...why is he nuts?
Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god dam customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

It's fascinating because this type of passion in off years is going to push the GOP further right which in turn is going to completely #### them in presidential years.
Good. We already have Democrats, we don't need Democrat-Lite. Not sure why so many are so afraid of a true two party system. And if things keep fracturing maybe even 3 or 4 parties. That would be fine too. People the globe over want a time out on unfettered immigration. Politicians ignore that at their peril (see Cantor, Eric).
Please do explain. Because I know immigration to the U.S. is actually quite, well, fetterred. Curious what country you are talking about here, since you state people the globe over.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/06/10/Report-Illegals-Waving-at-Agents-to-Detain-Them-Near-Border-Hoping-for-Permit-to-Remain-in-UShttp://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/9/editorial-the-childrens-hour/#ixzz34FktLx7J
Yeah, come to me without breitbart and let's talk. Seriously, is that supposed to help anyone's argument?

For legit issues - and our border is certainly one - let's work with something only half bull####. Like fox or msnbc.
:shrug: The numbers are the numbers. Are you claiming that the numbers cited in those articles are lies?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid anti-immigration advocate, so much so that he attacked Cantor - with evident success - for the weak sauce Republican "alternative" to the DREAM Act.

So he's got some good points to go along with the bad points. I guess he's got a Ph.D. in economics. Congress could use more of those.

Yeah, our southern border fetters the hell out of immigration.

As a political junkie I am absolutely shocked. And thrilled.
Yeah, this is VERY interesting. So many ways it can play out.

Obviously, the Tea Party has one. I thought it did when it "lost" so many elections, only because the other candidate co-opted their very own platform.

This just shows that the Tea Party is fused with the right leaning part of the GOP so much so, that it's hard to tell the difference in some cases. I think this totally sucks for moderate or more compromise willing Republicans because the whole party has so shifted.

Now, as awful as the Dems are, there is not this demonic split within some uber Liberal faction (the righties here can yell all they want about how center left is so far left, when let's be totally honest, center right is now center, with some left issues on civil rights moving further left for everyone). So, even moderate or centrist Dems have a far easier choice (more often than not) between a TP leajing GOPer or whomever they are running. Obviously there are a few loonie lefties that don't fit the bill.

So he's got some good points to go along with the bad points. I guess he's got a Ph.D. in economics. Congress could use more of those.
Oof. Yeah, Reaganomics have been pretty much thoroughly repudiated at this point. Except for the 1%, of course. They love Friedman.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/06/10/Report-Illegals-Waving-at-Agents-to-Detain-Them-Near-Border-Hoping-for-Permit-to-Remain-in-UShttp://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/9/editorial-the-childrens-hour/#ixzz34FktLx7J

:shrug: The numbers are the numbers. Are you claiming that the numbers cited in those articles are lies?
I am claiming I'm not going to personally invest time in reading breitbart at this point. It's like certain posters on here - you just know there's such a stupid bent that anything presented is shaded in doubt.

And I know there's an issue at the border, but you don't take a one by-line approach to a comprehensive problem. Oh, and as I noted above, a problem that we created, that we exacerbated, and that, honestly, our economy needs as is currently set up.

That said, I also think the left should be somewhat shamed for really not doing much to HELP immigrants - legal, born here or otherwise. They talk the talk and the Republicans make that really easy, but they don't seem to want for much more than the status quo.

Oof. Yeah, Reaganomics have been pretty much thoroughly repudiated at this point. Except for the 1%, of course. They love Friedman.
Really? By who? YOU? :lmao:

Um, it's fairly common understanding that Reaganomics was not nearly what it had been cracked up to be. Sorry to give you this sad (and like, 15-20 year old) news.

What are all his views?
Your web browser down? Go check out his page. I think you'll like it.
From his site:

Obamacare

Obamacare has proven to be an economically disastrous law and an unconstitutional power grab by our Federal Government. The government cannot and should not be permitted to run and regulate nearly 20% of our nation’s economy. We must restore the relationship between doctor and patient. We must restore the relationship between price and service in medicine or we will continue on the Road to Serfdom. I support a plan to defund the law and replace it with free-market solutions that lower costs, improve quality, and increase access to care.

Fiscal Responsibility

Our national debt has skyrocketed, reaching over $17 trillion dollars. What our leaders in Washington fail to mention is the $127 Trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities (see U.S. Debt Clock). This lack of leadership on both sides of the aisle threatens our nation’s stability and long term growth and forces an undue burden on our children and grandchildren. We must balance the federal budget by reducing spending. I will support a balanced budget amendment which will force Congress to reign in the out of control federal spending and to restore confidence in the American economy.

Immigration

When addressing the issue of immigration, we must start by securing our border. An open border is both a national security threat and an economic threat that our country cannot ignore. I reject any proposal that grants amnesty and undermines the fundamental rule of law. Adding millions of workers to the labor market will force wages to fall and jobs to be lost. I support proposals that will secure our border, enforce our current laws, and restore an orderly and fair process to allow law abiding individuals to work towards becoming citizens of this great nation.

Term Limits

I am a strong proponent of term limits for members of Congress. Career politicians and special moneyed interests have corrupted our democratic system. I pledge to support and submit legislation that enforces term limits. Ideally, Congressional term limits would be for 12 years total, across both The House and The Senate. Thus, I pledge to term limit myself to 12 years in Congress.

2nd Amendment

I will oppose any efforts to undermine or limit the Constitutional right to bear arms.

I am a strong supporter of gun rights. The right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right enshrined in the constitution for a reason - it provides the people with the ultimate guarantee of sovereignty. I will oppose any back door attempts to confiscate guns or create a national gun registry. All too frequently the knee jerk reaction to tragedies by the media and chattering class is to move to restrict our rights. In Congress, I will be a steady and firm supporter of our 2nd amendment rights at all times - not just when it is convenient. Our founding documents make it clear that our inalienable rights come from God and that the job of the government is to ensure and protect those God given rights. I intend to keep it that way.

Education

As an economist and educator for eighteen years, I understand the value of a good education. This is why I oppose top down approaches by the Federal Government such as Common Core and No Child Left Behind. I will support efforts to place Virginia’s teachers, parents, and local officials, who best understand the needs of the community, in control of our education system.

National Security/Foreign Policy

Ronald Reagan said it best: “Peace through strength.” A strong military is essential to the success of our nation. We must secure our borders, support the Armed Forces, both at home and abroad, and maintain a strong national defense in order to secure our country’s future. In addition, I support a full investigation into the Benghazi attacks.

Federal Reserve

I support a full audit of the Federal Reserve System.

Energy

I support a broad-spectrum energy approach that relies on the free market. The private sector must be set free to invest in natural gas, wind, solar, oil, nuclear, and other forms of energy as we move forward. Ending our reliance on foreign oil and moving toward energy independence is vital to the future welfare of America.

10th Amendment

The federal government has grown far too large. Our Founders envisioned a nation in which the federal government’s powers were explicitly listed and limited. I fully support the Constitution and enforcing the 10th Amendment and getting the government out of the way of economic growth. I will work to bring power back to the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Individual Freedoms

The federal government’s abuse of our freedoms has spun out of control. Whether it is the NSA violating our 4th Amendment Rights by collecting phone records, the IRS violating our 1st Amendment rights by targeting conservative organizations, or President Obama violating our 5th Amendment rights with the indefinite detention of American citizens, our freedoms have been under attack and they must be restored.

Uphold Human Life

Human life is sacred, as proclaimed by our founding documents, and I will always support laws that protect life. Our fundamental rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness precede the existence of government and come from God, the Author of Nature. These core constitutional rights have been usurped by the Judicial and Executive Branches and must be returned to the people and their representatives.

Um, it's fairly common understanding that Reaganomics was not nearly what it had been cracked up to be. Sorry to give you this sad (and like, 15-20 year old) news.
Sure, I get that every progressive from coast to coast has "debunked" it.

Wow, this is really debatable?

More pertinently, by people like, say, Janet Yellen. And many, many others.

http://www.ftportfolios.com/Commentary/EconomicResearch/2014/3/31/repudiating-milton-friedman

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/12/chicago-repudiation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBigPicture+%28The+Big+Picture%29

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/nov/16/post650

I don't know what Reaganomics is. But Friedman was an exceptionally smart, capable, thoughtful economist. He didn't get every single thing right, but who does? We lost a national treasure when he passed.

I don't know what Reaganomics is. But Friedman was an exceptionally smart, capable, thoughtful economist. He didn't get every single thing right, but who does? We lost a national treasure when he passed.
I'm sure he was a very nice man.

http://www.ftportfolios.com/Commentary/EconomicResearch/2014/3/31/repudiating-milton-friedman

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/12/chicago-repudiation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBigPicture+%28The+Big+Picture%29

Here's my link.

Sure, I get that every progressive from coast to coast has "debunked" it.
Don't you find it odd how you cast blame for Liberals using code words, or labeling people who don't agree with them as something derogatory, yet here you appear to use the same form of tactic.

If you honestly want to state that everyone who has debunked it is a "progressive" then please let me just be sure you mean it - and the consequences of someone actually having that view. Let's just say you'd have to employ a BROAD definition of "progressive"

Here's my link.
Did you read my linked material that fast? Or is there the slightest chance that you just ignored it as inconvenient? I don't think Janet Yellen is reliably described as a "progressive," BTW.

Here's my link.
Did you read my linked material that fast? Or is there the slightest chance that you just ignored it as inconvenient? I don't think Janet Yellen is reliably described as a "progressive," BTW.
Oh, you didn't get the memo?

Anyone who disagrees with MaxT is labelled "progressive"

(as if that's a BAD thing to begin with, even if remotely accurate. While progressive would certainly be left of me, some good thoughts and certainly intentions have come of the movement)

Here's my link.
Really? And this is just a cursory search:

Link #1

Here's my link.
Oh, you didn't get the memo?

Anyone who disagrees with MaxT is labelled "progressive"

(as if that's a BAD thing to begin with, even if remotely accurate. While progressive would certainly be left of me, some good thoughts and certainly intentions have come of the movement)
Hate to snap you out of your rant, but that's simply not true at all.

What are all his views?
Your web browser down? Go check out his page. I think you'll like it.
From his site:

Obamacare

Obamacare has proven to be an economically disastrous law and an unconstitutional power grab by our Federal Government. The government cannot and should not be permitted to run and regulate nearly 20% of our nation’s economy. We must restore the relationship between doctor and patient. We must restore the relationship between price and service in medicine or we will continue on the Road to Serfdom. I support a plan to defund the law and replace it with free-market solutions that lower costs, improve quality, and increase access to care.

Fiscal Responsibility

Our national debt has skyrocketed, reaching over $17 trillion dollars. What our leaders in Washington fail to mention is the $127 Trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities (see U.S. Debt Clock). This lack of leadership on both sides of the aisle threatens our nation’s stability and long term growth and forces an undue burden on our children and grandchildren. We must balance the federal budget by reducing spending. I will support a balanced budget amendment which will force Congress to reign in the out of control federal spending and to restore confidence in the American economy.

Immigration

When addressing the issue of immigration, we must start by securing our border. An open border is both a national security threat and an economic threat that our country cannot ignore. I reject any proposal that grants amnesty and undermines the fundamental rule of law. Adding millions of workers to the labor market will force wages to fall and jobs to be lost. I support proposals that will secure our border, enforce our current laws, and restore an orderly and fair process to allow law abiding individuals to work towards becoming citizens of this great nation.

Term Limits

I am a strong proponent of term limits for members of Congress. Career politicians and special moneyed interests have corrupted our democratic system. I pledge to support and submit legislation that enforces term limits. Ideally, Congressional term limits would be for 12 years total, across both The House and The Senate. Thus, I pledge to term limit myself to 12 years in Congress.

2nd Amendment

I will oppose any efforts to undermine or limit the Constitutional right to bear arms.

I am a strong supporter of gun rights. The right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right enshrined in the constitution for a reason - it provides the people with the ultimate guarantee of sovereignty. I will oppose any back door attempts to confiscate guns or create a national gun registry. All too frequently the knee jerk reaction to tragedies by the media and chattering class is to move to restrict our rights. In Congress, I will be a steady and firm supporter of our 2nd amendment rights at all times - not just when it is convenient. Our founding documents make it clear that our inalienable rights come from God and that the job of the government is to ensure and protect those God given rights. I intend to keep it that way.

Education

As an economist and educator for eighteen years, I understand the value of a good education. This is why I oppose top down approaches by the Federal Government such as Common Core and No Child Left Behind. I will support efforts to place Virginia’s teachers, parents, and local officials, who best understand the needs of the community, in control of our education system.

Ronald Reagan said it best: “Peace through strength.” A strong military is essential to the success of our nation. We must secure our borders, support the Armed Forces, both at home and abroad, and maintain a strong national defense in order to secure our country’s future. In addition, I support a full investigation into the Benghazi attacks.

Federal Reserve

Energy

I support a broad-spectrum energy approach that relies on the free market. The private sector must be set free to invest in natural gas, wind, solar, oil, nuclear, and other forms of energy as we move forward. Ending our reliance on foreign oil and moving toward energy independence is vital to the future welfare of America.

10th Amendment

The federal government has grown far too large. Our Founders envisioned a nation in which the federal government’s powers were explicitly listed and limited. I fully support the Constitution and enforcing the 10th Amendment and getting the government out of the way of economic growth. I will work to bring power back to the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Individual Freedoms

The federal government’s abuse of our freedoms has spun out of control. Whether it is the NSA violating our 4th Amendment Rights by collecting phone records, the IRS violating our 1st Amendment rights by targeting conservative organizations, or President Obama violating our 5th Amendment rights with the indefinite detention of American citizens, our freedoms have been under attack and they must be restored.

Uphold Human Life

Human life is sacred, as proclaimed by our founding documents, and I will always support laws that protect life. Our fundamental rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness precede the existence of government and come from God, the Author of Nature. These core constitutional rights have been usurped by the Judicial and Executive Branches and must be returned to the people and their representatives.
:thumbup:

Amusingly, another professor at the same college (Randolph Macon). That should make for some interesting faculty meetings. Not sure if he has a pulse, and this is a huge "Romney district," but I guess anything's possible.

Fun fact: Cantor's ads described Brat as a "liberal college professor." :lmao:

Well, thank God (or Reagan) for that 1% because it is that 1% that Obama wants to cover student loans now.

Amusingly, another professor at the same college (Randolph Macon). That should make for some interesting faculty meetings. Not sure if he has a pulse, and this is a huge "Romney district," but I guess anything's possible.

Fun fact: Cantor's ads described Brat as a "liberal college professor." :lmao:
I believe the term is "progressive"

Janet Yellen! :lmao:

What's funny about Janet Yellen?

Obamacare

The first sentence is hyperbole at best. The rest, with the exception of the plan to defund the law, is too vague for me to know what it really means. I don't think defunding the law is a very good plan.

Fiscal Responsibility

I'm generally in favor of reducing spending, but I'm also generally skeptical of statements about reducing spending in the abstract -- when no specifics are provided. Same with a balanced budget amendment: in some form it may be a good idea, but in many other forms it would likely be problematic. We need a concrete proposal.

Immigration

I don't think all proposals that grant amnesty should be rejected out of hand. I don't think passing a law that grants amnesty would undermine the law. I don't see how adding millions of workers to the labor market would cause jobs to be lost -- that's self-refuting if he's talking about net jobs, though I suppose he's not. In any case, finding cost-effective ways to secure the border seems like a good idea, but his statement seems more slogan-y than anything resembling a serious policy proposal.

Term Limits

I like trying to find ways to keep the corrupting influence of money out of politics without infringing free speech. Term limits might be a good idea toward that end. I haven't thought about the issue all that much.

2nd Amendment

God gave us the right to bear arms? That seems odd. I don't see what's wrong with a national gun registry, but I don't pay a lot of attention to 2nd Amendment issues. I think guns are icky, but I think the Bill of Rights should be respected and enforced.

Education

I'm not so familiar with the specific programs he mentions, so I can't comment.

Empty platitudes until the last sentence. Hasn't a full investigation already been done?

Federal Reserve

I don't know what this means.

Energy

10th Amendment

Individual Freedoms

Uphold Human Life

I got sick of going through the points individually. They mostly all lack enough specifics to lend themselves to any real evaluation. I guess that's part of being a politician.

It sounds like he'd pray for Roe v. Wade to be overturned and then seek to enact anti-abortion laws. I disagree with him there.

Where is Nicolas Cage when you need him?

Yeah, why would she know anything? Give me random FBG economics experts any day over the chair of the Federal Reserve!

:lmao:

So he was the firewall between the fire breathers and Boehner - I guess all hell is about to break loose in leadership on the GOP side. Boehner is probably looking to rent a bunker about now.

You're really unaware of far right parties running against current immigration policies making significant gains in England, France, Denmark, and other countries?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/25/world/europe/eu-elections/

And you're not seriously arguing that the U.S. has secure borders?
So, you'll go with the ask a question to (not) answer a question. Ugh, not again with this ####.

1. I am quite aware of the rising nationalism and anti-immigrant movements in those nations. FWIW, such a comparison does not shine favorable for those wishing to invoke them as something positive. It's actually fairly disturbing that some Americans actually look toward such xenophobic measures as if that will help our nation of immigrants. Such a narrow world view is both dangerous for our well being as without growth from immigration, there's no way our nation could sustain economically without drastic negative changes and impacts (and that's to disregard the many social benefits that immigrants bring).

Long story short: Anyone looking for us to mirror the xenophobic European's (because, that's ended well in the past, ya know?) is both shortsighted and... well, is this where I call out xenophobes as somehow bigoted only to be yelled at because I'm calling out backward and anachronistic beliefs as what they are?

2. Secure borders is only one measure of immigration, legal or otherwise. The only issues with have with creating a system that draws people here illegally while we look away at the local level (only to grandstand in congress and on message boards) are those we, ourselves have created. Hell, we started the fire, we added gas too it (you know, the whole sections of our economy that are illegal labor intensive) and then complain... with no actual solution.

Back to my point, we actually have a fairly high bar for anyone who does not wish to come in at dish-washer levels of employment and society. So, this is just a red herring of an argument.

So, perhaps you now wish to actually try to answer my questions. If you really have a legitimate point to make and wish to engage in a legitimate conversation that is.
As Koya said, I'm not sure you want to favorably compare your ideologies to those parties. Some of them are literally neo-Nazis. Hell, the French Front National party just had a PR disaster after the former leader of the party (and father of the current leader) made a joke about putting a Jewish singer in an oven.

Too busy watching the NBA to pay attention to this. I know nothing about this guy except what has been posted here. I myself have always been a big fan of Milton Friedman, and I believe that this guy's stated views on immigration are not really compatible with Friedman's POV on that subject.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping I was right about the Tea Party being repudiated. I wanted to see the Republicans capture the center back. They refuse to do so. If this sort of thing continues I'll be voting Democrat for the foreseeable future.

Too busy watching the NBA to pay attention to this. I know nothing about this guy except what has been posted here. I myself have always been a big fan of Milton Friedman, and I believe that this guy's stated views on immigration are not really compatible with Friedman's POV on that subject.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping I was right about the Tea Party being repudiated. I wanted to see the Republicans capture the center back. They refuse to do so. If this sort of thing continues I'll be voting Democrat for the foreseeable future.
i don't know that this was as much about the success of brat and the tea party as it was the failure of cantor the incumbent. lindsay graham cruised tonight too in south carolina, for example. SC isn't exactly berkley, madison and manhattan rolled into one. brat was a strong challenger, which is something that can't be said of every TP candidate, but this is really all about cantor failing his constituents.

Oh yeah, that 20 years of unprecedented economic expansion pretty much destroyed Reaganomics as an economic policy. BTW, considering our top rate is still under 40 percent, we pretty much are still under Reaganomics. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread