What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN 30 for 30 (1 Viewer)

I have no issues with connors not "reaching" out to krickstein. They weren't bff's. They trained together a bit and saw each other on the tennis circuit. After their match, connors more or less left tennis, correct? Don't we all have people that we were friendly with from a former job that we no longer talk to? winners are often #######s. :shrug:

The Eddie Aikau story is pretty amazing. Watched it tonight.

Not sure if this one was aired a while ago.

His story is that of legends. Gets on his board to head towards the coast to safe his capsized crew. Heartbreaking.

Just incredible.

How did I not know this man/story?

His story is that of legends. Gets on his board to head towards the coast to safe his capsized crew. Heartbreaking.

Just incredible.

Was a great story, for sure.

I thought it was great. I'm very surprised that Connors believes people think he should apologize to Krickstein for winning... Uh, I don't think anyone thinks that? I'm also surprised that Krickstein never picked up the phone either. Thought it was cool though when he said he'd like to play Connors now after the hip surgeries.. haha.
Don't be surprised if Jimmy doesn't find a way to pull that one out as well.
This.

bernie and ernie tues 11-5-13. (sounds like a sesame street skit)

bernard king also had a talented brother albert (multitalented - also an amazing blues guitarist)...

on the commercial, i think i recognized the SI cover when king and grunfeld were tennessee teammates, blast from the past...

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=bernieandernie
I'm sure you're kidding, but little brother was a GREAT college player. IIRC, he was Sporting News' POY in 1980 or so.

I've told this story a zillion times here but, when I was in HS, I went to Morgan Wooten's summer camp. Both Al King & Gene Banks were college stars who attended. I watched Derek Wittenburg (who was in HS at DeMatha at the time) annihilate both in a dunk contest. Witt in college after he wrecked his knee was nowhere near the athlete he was in HS - dude had like a 50" vertical leap when he was 17.

Anyway, Bernard King was the first athlete I can remember who came back from a destroyed knee to play at a high level. Nowadays, it's taken for granted but most thought King's playing days were done when it happened. Grunfield was a hell of a player, too.

bernie and ernie tues 11-5-13. (sounds like a sesame street skit)

bernard king also had a talented brother albert (multitalented - also an amazing blues guitarist)...

on the commercial, i think i recognized the SI cover when king and grunfeld were tennessee teammates, blast from the past...

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=bernieandernie
I'm sure you're kidding, but little brother was a GREAT college player. IIRC, he was Sporting News' POY in 1980 or so.I've told this story a zillion times here but, when I was in HS, I went to Morgan Wooten's summer camp. Both Al King & Gene Banks were college stars who attended. I watched Derek Wittenburg (who was in HS at DeMatha at the time) annihilate both in a dunk contest. Witt in college after he wrecked his knee was nowhere near the athlete he was in HS - dude had like a 50" vertical leap when he was 17.

Anyway, Bernard King was the first athlete I can remember who came back from a destroyed knee to play at a high level. Nowadays, it's taken for granted but most thought King's playing days were done when it happened. Grunfield was a hell of a player, too.
50" would be a crazy VJ.highest VJ I heard in NBA was darrell "dr. dunkenstein" griffith at 48".

i think david thompson was about 44", and dominique "human highlight film" wilkins 43".

I think there was a harlem globetrotter with a reported 54-55" VJ (wild thing?) that was in guiness book of world records...

no doubt there are some street ballers with freaky VJs...

it would be interesting to know what some of the old schoolers were (guys like elgin baylor and connie hawkins).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found out NFL Network lets you watch online if you have FIOS - I'm good to go :thumbup:

I like Randall, one of the coolest NFL players I've ever met. Looking forward to this.

Just incredible.

Was a great story, for sure.
Great story, well done. Sounds like a great man.

Did anyone else get sort of angry at the 70's sort of nativist pride/hubris that cost him his life? Something struck me as wrong about the whole thing, especially Ms. Cali Moonbeam, who was clearly not native, singing us the song he wrote. Just kind of irritatingly socio-political, like she was totally down. But it was his choice, I guess, and his own right to self-determination. Just something struck me as hopelessly naive and politically charged about the whole mission, and it seemed wildly ill-thought out.

Just found out NFL Network lets you watch online if you have FIOS - I'm good to go :thumbup:

I like Randall, one of the coolest NFL players I've ever met. Looking forward to this.
He was my 2nd-round pick in 1991. Coming off an MVP season.... tons of passing yards and the rushing production of a good RB all wrapped up into one player. Spoiler alert..... he breaks his leg in the 1st quarter of the first game. Done for the year.

Buzzkill.

:ptts:

I really liked the one about the Elway/Marino draft. Also just watched the Mannings one. Both were great.

I know its old but I just watched the Fab 5 episode. Great show. I was a year or two too young to understand what was going on back then but I can remember liking the Fab 5 (probably cause they were in the Big 10 or something like Wisconsin). Maybe they were part of the transition between the 80's college basketball and what it is today. The Fab 5 were great.

Sinrman said:
I really liked the one about the Elway/Marino draft. Also just watched the Mannings one. Both were great.
I wish I never watched that one . Not because it wasn't good, cause it was, but I never knew how close my Cowboys were to landing John freaking Elway. I guess we would have never had the run on the 90's though.

Bob Magaw said:
higgins said:
Just got done watching Ernie and Bernie -- well done.
i thought that was one of the best sports docs i've ever seen.

extremely well done, highest possible rec.
Bernard King is a deep soul. I felt the episode rushed over his off the court issues in the NBA but other than that, very good episode

Bob Magaw said:
higgins said:

Bernard King is a deep soul. I felt the episode rushed over his off the court issues in the NBA but other than that, very good episode
Any documentary on Bernard King that pretty much ignores his long history of violence against women isn't worth watching. I have no interest in anything that glorifies that scumbag.

Bob Magaw said:
higgins said:

Any documentary on Bernard King that pretty much ignores his long history of violence against women isn't worth watching. I have no interest in anything that glorifies that scumbag.
I think the reason it glossed over his off court issues is Bernard King was executive Producer

This one on Maurice Clarett shows the depths of depravity within college sports.

Former Ohio AD Andy Geiger has to be one of the biggest scumbags in all of sports, just demonstrating that the NCAA is just organized crime in its essence. Jim Brown calling him a slave master was as true as any statement ever made. Ohio fans and Tressel not much better, everyone turned on Clarett for getting a discount on a used car and a cell phone from a family friend.

Then the guy sues the biggest old-boy club in America in the U.S., the NFL, and wins. Poor dude never had a chance. Definitely made some mistakes in his life, but he's not a bad guy and he got completely ####ed by the system.

This one on Maurice Clarett shows the depths of depravity within college sports.

Former Ohio AD Andy Geiger has to be one of the biggest scumbags in all of sports, just demonstrating that the NCAA is just organized crime in its essence. Jim Brown calling him a slave master was as true as any statement ever made. Ohio fans and Tressel not much better, everyone turned on Clarett for getting a discount on a used car and a cell phone from a family friend.

Then the guy sues the biggest old-boy club in America in the U.S., the NFL, and wins. Poor dude never had a chance. Definitely made some mistakes in his life, but he's not a bad guy and he got completely ####ed by the system.
Well I can't go that far, he made some stupid choices in an unenviable situation but the guy did commit armed robbery after signing a 400,000 contract.

On the whole, I do agree with you and the system, at almost every gear, is absolutely disgusting. I still don't understand what justification the league presents for the age restriction.

Clarett, however, deserves tremendous credit for seemingly getting his act together. I hope he continues on the straight and narrow, he doesn't seem like a bad guy and I admire the spirit of his fight.

Well I can't go that far, he made some stupid choices in an unenviable situation but the guy did commit armed robbery after signing a 400,000 contract.

On the whole, I do agree with you and the system, at almost every gear, is absolutely disgusting. I still don't understand what justification the league presents for the age restriction.

Clarett, however, deserves tremendous credit for seemingly getting his act together. I hope he continues on the straight and narrow, he doesn't seem like a bad guy and I admire the spirit of his fight.
Probably so. Clarett would have been a different player had he not been suspended for two years for what was really minor violations, Terrell Pryor did worse. Him getting involved with alcohol changed him, a sad story that I used to think was funny but I don't anymore. I hope that guy does something with his life, shows the establishment he can't be beaten down. It's up to him now, his name still has some cache with sports nerds like us. :2cents:

The players association fights it as much as the NFL because for every new young guy that comes into the league it costs one of their veterans a job.

that was a really good 30 for 30. I had no idea just how railroaded Clarett got.

I thought all those guys cut bait on him -- Tressel, the AD - just about everyone. I didn't get the sense through the documentary though that there was much animosity toward Tressel. He's the one who it seemed to me was closest to Clarett and when things got bad with OSU, it sure didn't seem like he put up much of a fight for him. I'm glad he came back around and helped him after prison, but from a distance, it really seemed like Tressel could have done more (while Clarett was with the buckeyes) to help avoid the suspensions -- which I think led to his spiral out of control.

The players association fights it as much as the NFL because for every new young guy that comes into the league it costs one of their veterans a job.
This is exactly right.

Probably so. Clarett would have been a different player had he not been suspended for two years for what was really minor violations, Terrell Pryor did worse. Him getting involved with alcohol changed him, a sad story that I used to think was funny but I don't anymore. I hope that guy does something with his life, shows the establishment he can't be beaten down. It's up to him now, his name still has some cache with sports nerds like us. :2cents:
I got the impression that the harshness of the penalty had more to do with Clarett's press interviews at the Fiesta Bowl.

He pretty much called Andy Geiger out for lying and not caring about the players only the game,

Just watched Elway/Marino..... I had no idea the Patriots were in play for Elway. I can't imagine they would have traded Hanna, but in retrospect it would have been a great move.

Feel bad for him, still a young guy and seemed to have pulled it together from the show.
He was on Jim Rome's TV show a few months back. When the interview began, I was fully prepared to :rolleyes: at everything he said. But I was astounded by his maturity and contrition. He paid his dues and has his life back on track. What a beautiful little girl he has, too. I'm rooting for him.

Feel bad for him, still a young guy and seemed to have pulled it together from the show.
He was on Jim Rome's TV show a few months back. When the interview began, I was fully prepared to :rolleyes: at everything he said. But I was astounded by his maturity and contrition. He paid his dues and has his life back on track. What a beautiful little girl he has, too. I'm rooting for him.
I need to watch this. Have some pretty negative (and apparently unfounded) views of Clarrett from the mess that occurred.

Bernie and Ernie. :thumbup:

I never knew that Bernard King went through the crap he did down in Tennessee while I myself was in college.

So much of what defines our character is shaped during our childhood. This is especially true with great athletes, and King and Grunfeld are no exception. Bernard's signature game face was born out of the abuse and neglect he suffered as a young boy. Ernies storied toughness and work ethic were passed down by his parents, Holocaust survivors who came to America speaking no English when Ernie was just 9 years old.

A Jewish kid off the boat from Romania and a gangly outsider from the Brooklyn projects have little business becoming citywide superstars, college hoops legends and lifelong friends. But such is the unlikely story of Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld. I hope viewers get as much enjoyment out of watching our film as we did in putting it all together.

I need to watch this. Have some pretty negative (and apparently unfounded) views of Clarrett from the mess that occurred.
I can't find the full Jim Rome interview, but this recent E:60 profile sums it up pretty nicely.

I never knew that Bernard King went through the crap he did down in Tennessee while I myself was in college.

So much of what defines our character is shaped during our childhood. This is especially true with great athletes, and King and Grunfeld are no exception. Bernard's signature game face was born out of the abuse and neglect he suffered as a young boy. Ernies storied toughness and work ethic were passed down by his parents, Holocaust survivors who came to America speaking no English when Ernie was just 9 years old.

A Jewish kid off the boat from Romania and a gangly outsider from the Brooklyn projects have little business becoming citywide superstars, college hoops legends and lifelong friends. But such is the unlikely story of Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld. I hope viewers get as much enjoyment out of watching our film as we did in putting it all together.
I loved that one. It made me want to write King a personal letter just wishing him the best. He seems eternally tortured by what he went through.

I can't find the full Jim Rome interview, but this recent E:60 profile sums it up pretty nicely.
Good piece. I also had some pretty negative views of Clarrett. Still have to watch the 30 for 30

I loved that one. It made me want to write King a personal letter just wishing him the best. He seems eternally tortured by what he went through.
I hear you. Yet he seems almost at peace with what he went through, too. Claims to never have cried as a young man- and you believe him when he says that. But now... he comes close, wiping his eyes- now it seems he could use a damn good cry.

I didn't think I would watch the 30 for 30 special on Soccer Stories since I am not really a soccer guy but I watch about 5 minutes of the 1989 Hillsborough soccer tragedy and just completely stunned and baffled at the whole disaster that I can't stop watching. I know I keep saying this about all the new ones but it just seems like it each one is more and more amazing.

such a tragedy
So much ridiculous stuff surrounding that. Did a paper on soccer hooliganism and was utterly stunned by that.

Friend tells me if the Euros that hate Liverpool ever get frisky they chant "You rob your own dead. You rob your own dead. You rob your ownnnnnnnn...dead."

Users who are viewing this thread