What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Espresso Machines (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
Whatcha got and/or recommend? I've just got a drip coffee machine and a Keurig, so my first time buying one of these.

Looking at something like this: Krups Espresseria Is this a crazy amount to spend on one (a little over $600)? My wife seems to prefer getting one with a built-in grinder.

(I bumped the coffee thread about a week ago without a reply. Thought I might have more luck with a thread devoted solely to espresso machines, and did not see one on search.)

I just bought this one today, to be delivered in the next two days. I had been thinking hard about getting it since you linked it. I like what I see. Then, this morning as I'm drinking coffee, eating cereal, flipping channels, I see an infomercial on it. Per Bloomingdales' policy, I can return anytime if I don't like it.

Sold! Will report back in a couple weeks.

I just bought this one today, to be delivered in the next two days. I had been thinking hard about getting it since you linked it. I like what I see. Then, this morning as I'm drinking coffee, eating cereal, flipping channels, I see an infomercial on it. Per Bloomingdales' policy, I can return anytime if I don't like it.

Sold! Will report back in a couple weeks.
Cool, I am going to get this for my wife for Christmas. Let me know if you like it.

I have one of these, a present for my wife a couple years back.

It now resides in the back of some random cupboard in my kitchen, where I predict yours will in due time.

As I've said, I don't really do home espresso. But it seems odd to me to spend $230 on a home espresso machine and then to use pre ground pods for the convenience. And I really doubt that such a small machine is really going to apply the requisite pressure to extract the oils that make it worthwhile. I can't find reviews for the machine on the bigger coffee/espresso snob boards. Consumers appear to like it, so I get it if you want a convenient way to make something like a latte or cappuccino. But you can also get pretty close to that with a $20 aeropress and a handheld frother.

I wouldn't put much stock in having a grinder built into the espresso machine. You're still going to have tamp the espresso so it's not more convenient in the way that some people think having a built in grinder for a drip machine is convenient. And you have no idea how good the grinder is. I'd get a machine with out a grinder and just get a good conical burr grinder separately (Capreso, Baratza, and Breville all make good ones).

Is $600 really necessary, or can you get something really good for $3-400?
I've found some good stuff in that price range too. I've also considered this Gaggia. The built-in grinder is a selling point on the others though.
Thanks.

Full disclosure: I've never operated an espresso machine before. Is it difficult? I'm an espresso/cap/latte guy, but only have a Keurig for cheap and quick coffee at home.

So is it the grinder that makes them go up to 5-600?

I have a super-automatic espresso machine and absolutely love it. There is a HUGE range in price and quality you can get.

This is a great entry level machine that will absolutely suffice

There are lots of benefits of these super-automatics that I can go into more detail if you like. The $700-800 machines are quite excellent (I have one myself) but it's more about extra features than anything else compared to the one I linked above.

All I can say is that it's one of my favorite purchases ever and has certainly gotten its use. FWIW, I drink 4-5 cups of espresso/day so some of it will depend on your intake.

I've found some good stuff in that price range too. I've also considered this Gaggia. The built-in grinder is a selling point on the others though.
Thanks.

Full disclosure: I've never operated an espresso machine before. Is it difficult? I'm an espresso/cap/latte guy, but only have a Keurig for cheap and quick coffee at home.

So is it the grinder that makes them go up to 5-600?
I'm in the same boat as you, as only having a Keurig and trying to make the jump to an espressso machine. I'm still in the research process of finding one.

The same Breville linked above that sells for $600, sells for $500 without the grinder, so that's a part of the jump.

There are various differences in the durability and quality of the machines too. Here's a good starter's guide that I've found: http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine It does suggest spending 50% of budget on a good grinder when seeking to buy in the $300-500 price ranges.

We have a Secco. It grinds the beans all u do is push a button. We use it daily for last 3yrs it makes great espresso

Eta: its the same machine in Gianmarcos post above. Works great

Last edited by a moderator:
prior to getting the machine i mentioned above, we had a very good burr grinder (which is better than the one on the machine). so if you are considering two machines with the only difference being the grinder, go for the one without. also, we frequently get 20% off coupons from BBB and they happened to carry the machine i wanted... so that knocked it down a bit.

gianmarco said:
I have a super-automatic espresso machine and absolutely love it. There is a HUGE range in price and quality you can get.

There are lots of benefits of these super-automatics that I can go into more detail if you like. The $700-800 machines are quite excellent (I have one myself) but it's more about extra features than anything else compared to the one I linked above.

All I can say is that it's one of my favorite purchases ever and has certainly gotten its use. FWIW, I drink 4-5 cups of espresso/day so some of it will depend on your intake.
Thanks -- you have that Saeco Vienna? It looks like pretty good to me. Maybe a little more than I wanted, but $395 isn't too bad.

gianmarco said:

Thanks -- you have that Saeco Vienna? It looks like pretty good to me. Maybe a little more than I wanted, but $395 isn't too bad.
I had it. I now have the Gaggia Syncrony Logic (don't make/sell anymore) that is identical to that Saeco but just a few more options. My parents had a Saeco for over 20 years as well. That Vienna is a great machine for most anyone looking at this market.

The ONLY drawback is service for these things can get pricey. Otherwise, love it.

Went with the Saeco Vienna Plus. Just made my first espresso with it. Pretty easy to use and makes a good espresso. No regrets. Think I'll get a lot of use out of this.

Until a couple years ago, I thought it was expresso with an x. I haven't drank caffeine in almost 20 years though, so I guess I just never paid attention to the spelling.

Don Quixote said:
Went with the Saeco Vienna Plus. Just made my first espresso with it. Pretty easy to use and makes a good espresso. No regrets. Think I'll get a lot of use out of this.
:thumbup:

Good choice. You'll enjoy it. If you have any questions with it, feel free to shoot me a PM. Considering purchases I've made in my life, this is easily top 5.

Don Quixote said:

Good choice. You'll enjoy it. If you have any questions with it, feel free to shoot me a PM. Considering purchases I've made in my life, this is easily top 5.
Thanks. I will get in touch if I have any questions. :thumbup: I'll have to play with the settings a bit; though great out of the box with the Stumptown beans that I picked up.

I have that gaggia, I grind the beans and make 2 mochas every morning, very simple process once you do it a few times. Beats the hell out of paying 5 bucks at starbucks

Don Quixote said:

Thanks. I will get in touch if I have any questions. :thumbup: I'll have to play with the settings a bit; though great out of the box with the Stumptown beans that I picked up.
Also, just fwiw, I've tried many different kinds of beans from quite a few coffee stores. As bad as this sounds, my favorite in this machine is the Starbucks House Blend. I get it at Sam's for $18 per 2 lb bag. I've paid twice that much for different, higher quality beans and just kept going back to it because it simply tastes good. What's nice is that it's great for both espresso's as well as taller coffees for guests.

I have a Nespresso. Outstanding!
I read an article recently that said that a large number of Michelin rated restaurants in Europe have gotten rid of their baristas and gone to Nespresso machines because the quality was very very close to a top notch barista and much more consistent. And a lot cheaper too of course.

Just used a nespresso machine for the first time two weeks ago at my brother in laws house. It was the best home made coffee I've ever had. Extremely consistent product too.

Also, just fwiw, I've tried many different kinds of beans from quite a few coffee stores. As bad as this sounds, my favorite in this machine is the Starbucks House Blend. I get it at Sam's for $18 per 2 lb bag. I've paid twice that much for different, higher quality beans and just kept going back to it because it simply tastes good. What's nice is that it's great for both espresso's as well as taller coffees for guests.
You use regular coffee beans to make espresso?

I just bought this one today, to be delivered in the next two days. I had been thinking hard about getting it since you linked it. I like what I see. Then, this morning as I'm drinking coffee, eating cereal, flipping channels, I see an infomercial on it. Per Bloomingdales' policy, I can return anytime if I don't like it.Sold! Will report back in a couple weeks.
Cool, I am going to get this for my wife for Christmas. Let me know if you like it.
After using it for a month, I really like it. The espresso/cappuccino/latte it makes are great and it's very convenient. I like the $229 vs the $400, $500, $600 and up price tags on everything else I looked at.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I've never been a fan of the doppio at Starbucks, but I'm sure I'll be experimenting with different beans.

f

I got this one, too.

Have you guys played around with the adjustment knobs much? There are three of them:

-- quantity of coffee (on the front of the machine)

-- type of grind (fine/coarse) in the grinder

-- quantity of coffee used (grinder)

So far I like it, but I think the espresso I've made has been a little watery. I tried lowering the quantity of the coffee (turning the knob to the far left) and then also moved the quantity of the coffee knob towards the + sign, but I can't really tell if it's made a difference. Don't think so.

I haven't played around with fine/coarse, because I have no idea what I'm doing. I left it on the middle.

Don Quixote said:
Jules Winnfield said:
There are no such thing as espresso beans. It just refers to the beverage and how the coffee is made. But there are particular beans that make better espresso.
Gee thanks. I knew I owned a coffee shop 20 years ago for a reason

Don Quixote said:
Jules Winnfield said:
There are no such thing as espresso beans. It just refers to the beverage and how the coffee is made. But there are particular beans that make better espresso.
Then it's all the more curious that you don't agree with him.

There is no specific bean, or roast level, used to make espresso.

Espresso is a process by which finely ground coffee is brewed at high pressure. I'm sure you bought beans labelled as "espresso" beans in your business, but I assure you, they were just coffee beans.

f

I got this one, too.

Have you guys played around with the adjustment knobs much? There are three of them:

So far I like it, but I think the espresso I've made has been a little watery. I tried lowering the quantity of the coffee (turning the knob to the far left) and then also moved the quantity of the coffee knob towards the + sign, but I can't really tell if it's made a difference. Don't think so.

I haven't played around with fine/coarse, because I have no idea what I'm doing. I left it on the middle.
I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, but I thought the dosage setting inside the grinder could be adjusted to make it stronger.

Don Quixote said:
Jules Winnfield said:

Espresso is a process by which finely ground coffee is brewed at high pressure. I'm sure you bought beans labelled as "espresso" beans in your business, but I assure you, they were just coffee beans.
I second RHE's confusion on this. I actually don't like a lot of coffees labeled in the U.S. as "espresso roasts" (or espresso served in a lot of U.S. coffee houses, such as Starbucks) because I find them too dark and bitter. I haven't tried the Starbucks house blend, but I may prefer it for espresso to their espresso blend for that reason.

I did not really fall in love with espresso until going to Italy, where it is a bit lighter. Being able to try to replicate at home is one of the reasons that I bought the machine.

there's espresso roasts, and those I tend to use for the Saecco, but if i didn't have options i'd use whatever bean we had. You just need to buy several different types of beans and see what you like best.

one of my favorites is the Trader Joes 5 Country Espresso Blend.

as for adjusting your machine: i have my grind set neutral and the +/- on the amount of beans at +1.

one shot of espresso is the 2nd setting on left (about 10 o'clock)

a full cup (3 o'clock) would be an Americano. see pic here http://shop.boncafe.co.th/wp-content/uploads/products_img/saeco-vienna-plus3.jpg

Awesome. Someone who doesn't have a F!n clue. What coffee shop did you own? Or are you one of the many Starpukes or Carispew "baristas" or do you just work for those dumps?

Awesome. Someone who doesn't have a F!n clue. What coffee shop did you own? Or are you one of the many Starpukes or Carispew "baristas" or do you just work for those dumps?
I've never owned a coffee shop.

I do have the ability to read, however. And I take my coffee pretty seriously, dealing with artisinal roasters for several years.

So let's do it this way. Find a source that explains what an "espresso bean" is. Enlighten us. Not about your experience running a coffee shop, because none of us give a ####. My guess, is that you'll find what we've found. Which is that an espresso bean or an espresso roast, is a roast that roasters have designated to be used for espresso. And nothing more. And that such roasts are darker in some areas (such as Southern Italy) and lighter in other areas (such as Northern Italy).

I do have the ability to read, however. And I take my coffee pretty seriously, dealing with artisinal roasters for several years.

So let's do it this way. Find a source that explains what an "espresso bean" is. Enlighten us. Not about your experience running a coffee shop, because none of us give a ####. My guess, is that you'll find what we've found. Which is that an espresso bean or an espresso roast, is a roast that roasters have designated to be used for espresso. And nothing more. And that such roasts are darker in some areas (such as Southern Italy) and lighter in other areas (such as Northern Italy).
:popcorn:

or wait....

:coffee:

Looking for a simple and less expensive option?

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso/dp/B000CNY6UK

Clean up is simple, no moving parts, sturdy as a tank.

Heat up stove top, add water to base, add coffee to cone, put inside and close top. A few minutes later, you'll have a mule kick strong 6 servings of espresso.

Enjoy.
I use one of these every morning for my coffee. Super easy, and the only thing you have to watch is the time, since it's easy to ruin the flavor by letting the brewed coffee boil.

Also, it's not quite as potent or have the right crema as a true espresso, but it gets the job did.

f

I got this one, too.

Just saw this and sorry for not responding earlier.

The quantity of coffee will remain the same but that knob will change the amount of water in it. More to the left for espresso and to the right for taller cups of coffee.

However, if it "tastes" watery, then you may be grinding the beans too coarse. I had the same issue when I first got the machine and had to adjust to find the sweet spot. If you grind it too fine, it will have a gritty taste to it, too fine and it tastes too watery. And, you may have to change it depending on the beans you get (different beans may require different settings to get the same product at the end). The thing is that it may take a few cups to really start to appreciate the difference.

ETA -- Here is a good read on it:

http://www.espressoplanet.com/espresso-coffee-machine/calibrate_super_automatics.html

How to Adjust Drinks on aSuper-Automatic Espresso Machine
taste-coffee.jpg

We encourage you to play around with the settings on your new machine a little bit to see what the results are. This is a good way to learn what things affect the taste of your drink and to make sure you are getting the taste you enjoy the most. Here is a brief breakdown of the ways that you can control the final result on a super-automatic machine.​
bean-bag.jpg
Remember though that the freshness of the coffee and the water quality are two of the most important factors in making a good espresso. None of the guidelines below can compensate very much for stale coffee and bad water. Getting your beans fresh from a local roaster once or twice a week will make for a better drink than buying beans from chain coffee shops or brands imported from Europe as many of those have been sitting long after their freshness has run out before they even get to the store where you can buy them.​
dog_headache.jpg
This may seem overwhelming to you at first and it is true that there are many variables that go into your espresso or coffee but just take it one step at a time and once you understand how all the variables come into play, it will be easy to make adjustments whenever needed. Many people are perfectly happy with the settings right out of the box and never change anything and that is all right too. The only thing that counts is that you enjoy the cups you make.​
Grinder Settings [SIZE=10pt]
bean-in-grnder.jpg
[/SIZE]
Adjusting the grind is an often-neglected part of setting up super-automatic machines but it has a huge effect on the espresso quality. Some experimentation is generally required as different beans react best with different grinds. In general, the darker the roast, the coarser the grind should be. You can tell when your grind setting is right if the espresso is coming out thick with plenty of crema and neither too fast or too slow.​
You can also open the waste container and look at the coffee pucks. They should be firm and not soggy. If you crumble one in your hands, you should be able to see and feel each particle. It should not be ground fine as powder and should not be too large particles. Check this after you have the espresso coming out to your liking and then keep an eye on it in the future as you should become familiar with what they should look like and can then tell when the grind is off.
The grind is ultimately changing the length of time that the water is in contact with the ground coffee, called extraction time. A coarser grind is easier for the water to move through, so it will pour out faster. A finer grind will slow down the pour. The longer the water is in contact with the grounds, the more it will absorb out of them. The first things it absorbs are aroma and flavour, then caffeine and tannic acid (tannic acid is responsible for stomach problems for a lot of people and makes the coffee taste bitter). If you let the water absorb too much, it will run out of the good things to absorb (flavour and aroma) and then only be extracting the bad things (caffeine and tannic acid). If you don't let it absorb enough, it will taste very weak and not have any crema. So you want to find the perfect balance where it absorbs the full flavours but little caffeine or tannic acid. This doesn't mean the centre setting on the grinder generally, but the perfect point is usually closer to the finest setting.​
So, in a nutshell, if the espresso is coming out very quickly, with little or no crema and little or no taste, the grind is quite likely too coarse. Try turning it a few notches finer. If the espresso is coming out very slowly, or barely coming out at all, and the taste is harsh and bitter, the grind is probably too fine. Try turning it a bit coarser.​
Remember, on many machines you should only change the grinder setting while the grinder is actually running (always read your user manual). Start making a drink and then adjust it a couple of settings while you can hear the grinder working. It will take a couple of shots before you notice the difference so test it a couple of times before you change the setting again.​
Water Volume
turkish_coffee.jpg
Obviously, if you want to make a larger or smaller sized drink, you would adjust the water volume setting. This can also be used to change the strength of the drink. By keeping the amount of coffee that will be ground the same but adjusting the water, you can make a smaller, stronger drink or a larger, milder drink. But don't forget about extraction time!​
If you have a lot of water going through a small amount of ground coffee, it will have the same effect as a smaller amount of water going too slowly through the coffee (as discussed above in the grinder section). Too much water will therefore extract not only the flavour and aroma but also the caffeine and tannic acid, again resulting in a bitter drink. Again, it's all about balance. Making the grind coarser to speed up the flow of water can improve the result if you find it tastes bitter in a long drink. Or try making an Americano if you want a larger drink - brew a regular shot of espresso and then top it up with hot water. There are a couple of models that don't allow you to adjust the amount of coffee so if you need more in order to get a stronger taste, you might have to cut the water volume in half and brew twice. Coffee amount [SIZE=10pt]
Espresso_Basket_Tamper.jpg
[/SIZE]
Most machines do allow you to adjust how much coffee gets ground per cup. Sometimes it is a dial, sometimes with markings to reflect the amount in grams, sometimes all you have is button options for mild, medium and strong without an actual amount in grams. Adding more coffee will make it harder for the water to flow through, so this will slow down the extraction time as well as increase the coffee to water ratio, thus making a stronger cup. Again, if you want to make a larger drink, like a mug of coffee, you will probably want to add more coffee and make the grind a bit coarser to reduce the bitterness from a too-long extraction.​
Extraction Time​
Up until now we haven't talked much about extraction time. There is no golden rule. Some talk about the "god shot" for espresso which should be around 25-30 seconds. Extraction time is the time hot water is in contact with ground coffee. The longer the extraction time, the more solids get extracted. Some solids are desirable others are not. The following extraction times are just general rules.​
While adjusting the aforementioned variables, keep an eye on the extraction time. This is best done with a stop watch. Measure the time it takes for the coffee to flow out of the coffee spout from start to finish. This is approximately the extraction time.

Looking for a simple and less expensive option?

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso/dp/B000CNY6UK

Clean up is simple, no moving parts, sturdy as a tank.

Heat up stove top, add water to base, add coffee to cone, put inside and close top. A few minutes later, you'll have a mule kick strong 6 servings of espresso.

Enjoy.
Just bought one of these and made the best cappuccino I've ever had. Never made espresso before in my life, so it's pretty idiot proof. :thumbup: Lad time I was this excited about a product I bought, it was a blowup doll. Seriously. I'm on my second cup and I AM SO ####### AMPED. Wish I knew about this thing years ago. We may sell the Keurig.

Update? It was just getting good

Users who are viewing this thread