What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Falcons Receiver Replacement - Cone, Davis, Robiskie? (1 Viewer)

Tapeworm

Footballguy
With Julio Jones out and Roddy White still damaged, what do you make of the remaining receivers? Mike Smith insists that Harry Douglas will remain in the slot, leaving me to wonder which of Kevin Cone, Drew Davis, and Brian Robiskie will see the most snaps and targets and be the WR1, assuming White remains out. I have no idea, but I'm hoping the crowd can impart some wisdom regarding this situation. Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for Levine Toilolo to benefit greatly moving forward as ATL deploys more 2 TE sets. I know this isn't a TE discussion, but IMO he gets the largest bump with the departure of Julio.

The "replacement" is the original.

Steven Jackson will be leaned on more and they will implement him into the passing game and will tend to use his presence to take a few more shots down the field deep to Douglas.

The Falcons just went from an "outside-in" team to an "inside-out" team. §

The "replacement" is the original.

Steven Jackson will be leaned on more and they will implement him into the passing game and will tend to use his presence to take a few more shots down the field deep to Douglas.

The Falcons just went from an "outside-in" team to an "inside-out" team. §
Someone else will come into play. The only reason Douglas didn't was because Julio Jones can handle workload equivalent to two receivers. Not to mention the ever lingering injury concerns with White. The beauty of this is that the Falcons are such a pass-heavy team. A WR not named White or Douglas will emerge as at least a rosterable player by as early as next week.

Although I do see Tony Gonzalez averaging ~8 catches a game for the remainder of the season.

I wouldn't necessarily bid on any of them unless I was in a bind, however, if I had to I would take a flyer on Drew Davis. At times he's shown some intriguing potential. Just my $0.02.

Rotoworld:

OC Dirk Koetter said he plans to feature Tony Gonzalez even more in the wake of injuries to Julio Jones and Roddy White.
"As we evolve into this wide receiver situation, obviously there might be more things up with Tony featured as the No. 1 guy," Koetter said. "That's a no-brainer. We'll see how that goes." Defenses will be able to pay more attention to Gonzalez now, but the extra volume should help mitigate that. He is currently averaging 9.2 targets per game. a number that will rise. In Sunday's game against the Bucs, Gonzalez and Harry Douglas project as Matt Ryan's top-two targets.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

I agree that Douglas is not going to be the main beneficiary once this mess is sorted out, and that Gonzalez will receive a huge uptick in targets. This still leaves at least 5-8 targets a game. To me there are two scenarios here, depending on White's status.

1)Gonzalez

2)White

3)??

4)Douglas

- White on the field (healthy or not): Davis is marginalized, Cone/Robiskie split snaps until one shows he is the man

- White out: Davis gets the targets, Cone/Robiskie split snaps until one shows he is the man

Robiskie is the wide receiver's coach's son. He is a former second round pick, has bounced around and doesn't seem to have much talent outside of being tall. Cone is the most similar in body type to Julio, has had to fight to keep his roster spot and is more familiar with the offense. I am looking at Cone as the most likely to breakout.

WR Roddy White, RB Steven Jackson and T Sam Baker have been ruled out of Sunday's game vs. Bucs #TBvsATL

Per twitter

TG and Jacquizz get a bump. But the rest is a hot mess. Douglas sucks. Cone seems like the best of the rest but he's very inexperienced.

I love how everyone just outright dismisses Harry Douglas on principle.
He'll be a decent depth player for FF purposes, maybe a flex/wr3 type at best. The guys just isn't built to be anything more than a complementary receiver in the NFL IMO. He should be owned, but I doubt he's suddenly going to breakout, the only way he has a big game is if he finds the endzone, something he's not exactly known for, I don't expect a ton of yards. Decent floor, low upside type is why there isn't much talk about him.

I love how everyone just outright dismisses Harry Douglas on principle.
He's going to draw the #1 CB. He already sucked drawing the #3 CB. I don't see the upside here. He's simply not that good and is not going to get anything against guys like Revis.

Probably going to see more checkdowns to the Running Backs. Snelling and Rodgers are decent receiving threats. Harry Douglas hasn't looked terrible and has enough upside to put up a flukish 100-yard game similar to Donnie Avery earlier in the year.

Wouldn't count on anyone else though. I know Cone's got some measurables but you'd think you would have heard more about him by now.

I would take a flyer on Drew Davis in PPR and Cone in standard scoring. Cone is bigger/faster, but Davis seems to have better hands. Robiskie is the WR coach's son, so he'll probably get a shot too. But nepotism is the reason they signed him, otherwise he wouldn't be on any team, so what does that tell you.

A new factor in this is Darius Johnson who was brought up from the practice squad yesterday. The kid has amazing hands and played well in preseason and training camp. He and Robiskie are both active today.

No telling who will see targets other than Douglas, but if I had to guess, I'd say Davis on the outside and Johnson in the slot. I'll be watching and will report back who is getting the snaps and targets.

FWIW, I believe the On the Couch podcast this week highlighted Drew Davis as a guy some of the beat writers have raved about for years… wouldn't be surprised if he blew up.

Users who are viewing this thread