What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

Anything by Brian Wilson, who I believe is the 2nd greatest American composer of the 20th century aside from Gershwin. And I’m not alone in thinking this. So says Elton John, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Don Was, and most of the Wrecking Crew. If you get a moment, watch “A Long Promised Road” on Amazon Prime. If you love American music, and this thread, it’s a must see.
@ekbeats - good to see you, gb! Hope all is well this you.
Thanks Karma. Good to see you as well.

jwb:

Take Me Away – Blue Oyster Cult

Gotta comment on this real quick as I watch Mike White take Zach Wilson's job... not only is this a great rock song (and my favorite BOC tune), it scores bonus points to me because of the video, which I imagine them thinking oh man, we're making the most insane video EVER. Nothing will be the same after people see this" . You could tell they were serious about it.

Much more Blue Oyster Cult than I would have anticipated.

Yea it seems that way doesn't it? But then again Reaper and a few others are big time classic rock staples still played daily. I'm happy - I like BOC a lot.

My top non-Prince songs from today are My Favorite Things by John Coltrane, The Saint of Lost Causes by Justin Townes Earle, and Philosophy by Ben Folds Five. Solid day up and down for me, though. My favorite new-to-me song was Fever by Little Willie John.

Caught up on yesterday's new-to-me songs as well. My favorites were...none. :mellow: In fairness, I already knew the vast majority of the songs.

I can't tell y'all how much I appreciate the Spotify playlists. Perfect for my afternoon dog walk.

Known:

Gold: Summer Babe (Winter Version) (Marco) - words can't express my deep and abiding love for this one.
Silver: Let's Go Crazy (Don Q) - the whole damn album (except for maybe Darling Nikki) could end up on here.
Bronze: Heliotropic (Pip) - sounds like nothing else from '96.

Unknown:

Gold: Tonight is What it Means to Be Young (Mrs R)
Silver: Saint of Lost Causes (Dr. O)
Bronze: Philosophy (Karma P)

Where has this song been all my life? Now I want to watch Streets of Fire - I had seen the trailers on TV but I was 11 at the time so it's not like I could catch at the theater and it pretty quickly fell off the radar. Up until a few years ago when plinko set me straight, I thought Dan Hartman was one of the black guys in the I Can Dream About You video. How was I supposed to know he was an old white dude?

I don't want to say too much and possibly spoil anything, but 1.02 seems like a reach, and there are a couple of SODs in the second round.
There's a certain segment of REM fans that totally revere 1.02. Lucky picked it because he didn't think it would make it back to him, and others told him he was right.

I had quite the dilemma when I got to round two and these were available, and the other two went right after I made my choice.

2.07(Pip)Can't Get There From Here (Fables of the Reconstruction, 1985)
2.08(FresnoBob)Driver 8 (Fables of the Reconstruction, 1985)
2.09(Lucky)Ignoreland (Automatic for the People, 1992)
I'm with you and Krista on this - I think Country Feedback is a pretty low-key, minor REM song, and would probably choose 50 others before it.

Where has this song been all my life? Now I want to watch Streets of Fire - I had seen the trailers on TV but I was 11 at the time so it's not like I could catch at the theater and it pretty quickly fell off the radar. Up until a few years ago when plinko set me straight, I thought Dan Hartman was one of the black guys in the I Can Dream About You video. How was I supposed to know he was an old white dude?
Ha, yeah, he's an old white dude, even though he seems like he should have been part of that group (which includes Robert Townsend!).

Seriously underrated, goofy-*** movie with quite a cast. (Rick Moranis! Willem Dafoe! Amy Madigan! Diane Lane as Ellen Aim!)

Favorite Top Five of round #19:

Someday Never Comes
Learn to Fly
Let's Go Crazy
Midnight Train to Georgia
The Saint of Lost Causes
Alive - Philosphy (couldn't decide)

There are 6ish songs listed, because one is on my list.

Drift Away, More Than a Feeling, You Keep Me Hangin' On, and Dream On are repeat favorites

Favorite instrumental - My Favorite Things
Favorite theatrical song - Paradise By the Dashboard Light, runner up Tonight is What it Means to be Young
Favorite crooner song - My Way
Favorite 😵‍💫 song - Heliotropic

Favorite new to me song(s)

Mother Blues
Summer Babe

Last edited:
I don't want to say too much and possibly spoil anything, but 1.02 seems like a reach, and there are a couple of SODs in the second round.
There's a certain segment of REM fans that totally revere 1.02. Lucky picked it because he didn't think it would make it back to him, and others told him he was right.

I had quite the dilemma when I got to round two and these were available, and the other two went right after I made my choice.

2.07(Pip)Can't Get There From Here (Fables of the Reconstruction, 1985)
2.08(FresnoBob)Driver 8 (Fables of the Reconstruction, 1985)
2.09(Lucky)Ignoreland (Automatic for the People, 1992)
Driver 8 is easily a Top 5 REM song for me.

Today's mix was damn good. There were a few on there that were hard cuts to make for me and would have made it in the 30-50 range. Summer Babe, Rearviewmirror, and Brilliant Disguise stood out in that regard.

I will also echo the Failure track. Such an original sound they had. The Le Tigre song was another that was new to me and stood out.

Known-to-me winners for today:

Alive -- Pearl Jam (AAABatteries)
Seven Nation Army -- The White Stripes (DrIanMalcolm)
Midnight Train to Georgia -- Gladys Knight & The Pips (Simsarge)
Let's Go Crazy -- Prince (Don Quixote and Ilov80s)
Drift Away -- Dobie Gray (Krista4)
Rearviewmirror -- Pearl Jam (Landryshat)
Don't Fear the Reaper -- Blue Oyster Cult (Simey)
Learn to Fly -- Foo Fighters (Binky)
Dream On -- Aerosmith (Falguy)
Loud Love -- Soundgarden (Manster)
Paradise by the Dashboard Light -- Meat Loaf (Val Rannous)
My Favorite Things -- John Coltrane (Neal Cassady)

Enjoy the movie. Love the soundtrack. There's some good stuff there.

Hoping for a not crazy day at the office tomorrow so I can catch up on these play lists. In the meantime gonna stick to the known to me:

Already medaled - Dirft Away
Bronze: Let's Go Crazy - it didn't make to the final bubble, but if there was a Prince add this was going to be it
Silver: Alive - that outro...
Gold: California Love - this was my last rap song cut
My favorite - won't be mentioned as my #2 made today's list

It’s becoming increasingly hard to pick 3 for each category. So I’m going to try 4 from now on!

#22s
Recognized by title alone: 18
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn't know: 15

Selected Favorites:
China Grove (Mrs. Rannous)
Blank Generation (Eephus)
Mercury Blues (worrierking)
September (Ilov80s)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Twilight Creeps (krista4)
Crossing A Line (Just Win Baby)
Strawberry Letter 23 (landryshat)
Adelaide (Zegras11)

Tomorrow is ladies’ night morning! Two of tomorrow’s double-ups are from female artists:

• One has had two prior selections and will have two brand-new songs join the mix.
  • One has had one prior selection and will have two brand-new songs join the mix.
The third double-up is the most painful one for me yet, but I'm steeling myself for it.

In addition to these, we will have:
  • A song that name-drops another artist that is also selected in this round.
  • The Beatles?
  • Math! Solve for song titles represented by w, x, y, and z: w + x + y + z = 2,123

Not sure where it’s been all your life but I do know you could have at least gone back half a month with it when it was also chosen in the Song 31 list. Those are two weeks you’ll never get back.

Not sure where it’s been all your life but I do know you could have at least gone back half a month with it when it was also chosen in the Song 31 list. Those are two weeks you’ll never get back.

I didn't want to mention that. :lmao:

IIRC @scorchy also included "Use Me" on his "new to me" list the second time it showed up.
Umm... Erm... I can explain...

I admit it. I didn't click on every link every day in Dr O's thread. If he really wanted people WITH FULL TIME JOBS to listen to every song, dude should have made a spotify playlist like Hawks.

Give me a few minutes to come up with something about Use Me.

I admit it. I didn't click on every link every day in Dr O's thread. If he really wanted people WITH FULL TIME JOBS to listen to every song, dude should have made a spotify playlist like Hawks.

I like your story...errrr...

CONFIDENTIAL TO SCORCHY ONLY:
The song came up in Round 31 in this thread, not Dr. O's thread. Maybe we could blame Hawks for a late playlist or something?

Last edited:

I like your story...errrr...

CONFIDENTIAL TO SCORCHY ONLY: The song came up in Round 31 in this thread, not Dr. O's thread. Maybe we could blame Hawks for a late playlist or something?
Didn't we make fun of him for not having heard of Use Me the first time?

My top 5 from round 19 excluding my own choice:
This was by far and away the strongest round so far for my taste. I could have easily chosen another 5-10 songs for this top 5. :wub:

I don't make fun of anyone for not having heard a song; I have some huge blind spots in my own listening experience, too.

Tomorrow is ladies’ night morning! Two of tomorrow’s double-ups are from female artists:

• One has had two prior selections and will have two brand-new songs join the mix.
  • One has had one prior selection and will have two brand-new songs join the mix.
The third double-up is the most painful one for me yet, but I'm steeling myself for it.

• The Beatles?
  • Math! Solve for song titles represented by w, x, y, and z: w + x + y + z = 2,123

• 1999 - Prince
  • 50 ways to leave your love - Paul Simon
  • Summer of ‘69 - Bryan Adams
  • Take Five - Dave Brubeck

• The Beatles?

• 1999 - Prince
  • 50 ways to leave your love - Paul Simon
  • Summer of ‘69 - Bryan Adams
  • Take Five - Dave Brubeck

Well done! :thumbup: I really didn't expect anyone to try, and I'm impressed! But only one of four correct.

Also, Bryan Adams is ineligible (Canadian).

Users who are viewing this thread