What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

This would be my dad's favorite if he were participating. He loves the move Dirty Dancing.
I should have gotten my mom to do this. I'll ask her if she do an after-the-fact list. Maybe ask your pop the same.
Nah. I don't interact with my dad much. I see him, but I'm not close to him.

Do you remember that time you were thinking about going to Switzerland, and I think you asked me if I had been? I went in the 80s, but I don't remember details of it, but my parents had spent more time there. Anyway, I asked them about places they stayed, and my dad got all excited, and he burned some DVD he had made of himself filming some of their trip, and he insisted that I give it to you. I think some of the footage was them on that fast train. Anyway, I sent it to you even though I felt like a dumbass doing it, because why would you want to see someone's parents looking at stuff on a trip? Did you ever watch it? It is quite alright if you didn't.

This would be my dad's favorite if he were participating. He loves the move Dirty Dancing.
I should have gotten my mom to do this. I'll ask her if she do an after-the-fact list. Maybe ask your pop the same.
Nah. I don't interact with my dad much. I see him, but I'm not close to him.

Do you remember that time you were thinking about going to Switzerland, and I think you asked me if I had been? I went in the 80s, but I don't remember details of it, but my parents had spent more time there. Anyway, I asked them about places they stayed, and my dad got all excited, and he burned some DVD he had made of himself filming some of their trip, and he insisted that I give it to you. I think some of the footage was them on that fast train. Anyway, I sent it to you even though I felt like a dumbass doing it, because why would you want to see someone's parents looking at stuff on a trip? Did you ever watch it? It is quite alright if you didn't.
I watched as soon as I got it. You were not a dumb *** for sending it. I love that you did that for me and it's just another reason why I think you are awesome,

New-to-me winners from #14:

Sinnerman -- Nina Simone (Neal Cassady). Oh wow, where has this been all my life? I was just never in an environment to be exposed to it, I guess. As she says repeatedly toward the end, "POWER!"
Lazy Eye -- Silversun Pickups (Hov 34 and Shuke). This one also escaped my notice. It's got pretty much all the elements that I like in "indie rock."
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) -- Nancy Sinatra (Simsarge). I know Cher's version and Paul Weller's, but not this one. I never saw the Kill Bill movies. Stunning.
Romeo Is Bleeding -- Hall & Oates (Sullie). As much as I like a lot of their '70s and '80s stuff, I don't really know their '90s stuff at all, unless it happened to be played on a Live at Daryl's House episode that I caught. This has a melody and arrangement every bit as strong as some of their best stuff from their peak years.

Ok, so back to music.

Our four double-ups today:
- Dolly Parton: Jolene (Don Quixote) vs. Shine (Mrs. R)
- The Doobie Brothers: The Captain and Me (New Binky) vs. China Grove (Mr. R)
- Lynyrd Skynyrd: Free Bird (Just Win Baby) vs. Tuesday's Gone (jwb)
- Tom Petty, with or without the Heartbreakers: Louisiana Rain (simey) vs. American Girl (Ilov80s)

And landryshat has shattered Bill Withers' dreams of being our "one-hit wonder" winner.
Withers definitely doesn't deserve to have only one song picked.

Both Petty are with the Heartbreakers. Petty's solo albums are Full Moon Fever, Wildflowers and Highway Companion. All other albums with Petty's name on them are "...and the Heartbreakers."

What a fun thread. Sorry I missed it earlier; would have loved to participate.

You should put together your list and post it after we've finished!

Also, haven't discussed it much yet in order to keep the focus on this one, but I'm sure we'll be doing another one of these sometime after the first of the year. That reminds me that I wanted to respond to an earlier post, which I think was from Just Win Baby, suggesting we do this countdown but opposite, which is bands with at least one non-US member. Since that basically opens the countdown up to every song that wasn't eligible here, I think it's too broad. People seem to enjoy this thread, and therefore I'd rather have the next one capture a smaller list of possibilities so that we aren't "two and done." Maybe the next one could be the UK, which should give us plenty to choose from, and then we could do others from there including a "mixed nationality" one.
I'd be on board for this. But my lead singer was born in Zanzibar.

We need a ruling on Commonwealth countries.

What a fun thread. Sorry I missed it earlier; would have loved to participate.

You should put together your list and post it after we've finished!

Also, haven't discussed it much yet in order to keep the focus on this one, but I'm sure we'll be doing another one of these sometime after the first of the year. That reminds me that I wanted to respond to an earlier post, which I think was from Just Win Baby, suggesting we do this countdown but opposite, which is bands with at least one non-US member. Since that basically opens the countdown up to every song that wasn't eligible here, I think it's too broad. People seem to enjoy this thread, and therefore I'd rather have the next one capture a smaller list of possibilities so that we aren't "two and done." Maybe the next one could be the UK, which should give us plenty to choose from, and then we could do others from there including a "mixed nationality" one.

If we do a UK countdown like this one, i.e., artist and every main band member must be UK born/citizens, will that be too limiting? I know of a lot of major UK artists but must admit I don't know how many of those bands have non-UK members. Whatever the group wants is ifne with me.

Charity Contest Info and Standings

(Now with a new and improved format!!!)

Everyone's selections:

Val Rannous - Song: Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Mrs. Rannous - Song: Rock and Roll High School, The Ramones. Artist: Bob Dylan.
Uruk-Hai - Song: Purple Rain, Prince. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Neal Cassady - Song: Let's Stay Together, Al Green. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
Chaz McNulty - Song: Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Dr. Octopus - Song: Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Falguy - Song: Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen. Artist: Tom Petty.
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
Ilove80s - Song: Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys. Artist: Tom Petty.
jwb - Song: Hotel California, The Eagles. Artist: The Allman Brothers Band.
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Just Win Baby - Song: What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)
AAABatteries - Song: Respect - Aretha Franklin. Artist: Stevie Wonder.

Songs that scored 19 points for today's selections:

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
Let's Stay Together, Al Green

Artists that scored 19 points for today's selections:

Stevie Wonder
Tom Petty (x2)
The Allman Brothers Band
Prince

After adding in the above scores,

Total Scores as of Today:

Ilov80s 164
New Binky the Doormat 154
Falguy 146
Just Win Baby 142
AAABatteries 105
Don Quixote 105
DrianMalcom 105
Hov34 105
Neal Cassady 101
Pip's Invitation 98
jwb 81
The Dreaded Marco 80
Dr. Octopus 72
Uruk-Hai 72
Mrs. Rannous 49
Chaz McNulty 47
Val Rannous 47

Pip’s Invitation:

Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys
(new artist)

One of the best antiwar songs ever written, and possibly the one whose music best conveys the message in addition to the lyrics. Hendrix, Cox and Miles are deeply funky, deeply heavy and just deep. People much more grounded in music theory than I have compared Hendrix' guitar playing on this track to John Coltrane's saxophone improvisations. The song also paved the way for the funk/rock fusion that happened over the course of the '70s.

If James Brown tried heavy metal (as the genre was understood in 1970), it would have sounded like this.

I was thinking for the UK one we'd use the same rules as the US one. We could then either do another subset or from there go straight to "everything else," which would include the US and UK bands that had been ineligible.

Charity Contest Info and Standings

(Now with a new and improved format!!!)

Everyone's selections:

Val Rannous - Song: Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Mrs. Rannous - Song: Rock and Roll High School, The Ramones. Artist: Bob Dylan.
Uruk-Hai - Song: Purple Rain, Prince. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Neal Cassady - Song: Let's Stay Together, Al Green. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
Chaz McNulty - Song: Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Dr. Octopus - Song: Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Falguy - Song: Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen. Artist: Tom Petty.
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
Ilove80s - Song: Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys. Artist: Tom Petty.
jwb - Song: Hotel California, The Eagles. Artist: The Allman Brothers Band.
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Just Win Baby - Song: What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)
AAABatteries - Song: Respect - Aretha Franklin. Artist: Stevie Wonder.

Songs that scored 19 points for today's selections:

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
Let's Stay Together, Al Green

Artists that scored 19 points for today's selections:

Stevie Wonder
Tom Petty (x2)
The Allman Brothers Band
Prince

After adding in the above scores,

Total Scores as of Today:

Ilov80s 164
New Binky the Doormat 154
Falguy 146
Just Win Baby 142
AAABatteries 105
Don Quixote 105
DrianMalcom 105
Hov34 105
Neal Cassady 101
Pip's Invitation 98
jwb 81
The Dreaded Marco 80
Dr. Octopus 72
Uruk-Hai 72
Mrs. Rannous 49
Chaz McNulty 47
Val Rannous 47

Thank you!! Love the new format!

I was thinking for the UK one we'd use the same rules as the US one. We could then either do another subset or from there go straight to "everything else," which would include the US and UK bands that had been ineligible.

But like everyone else I'm open. We can discuss more!

Not that anyone will notice nor does it matter, but I just ran into the character limit in the first post, so I moved the blacklist of ineligibles to the second post. I doubt anyone needs to reference it now, but if you're looking for it, there it is. Hopefully that will be enough to take us through the end with my having to adjust the first post further.

Last edited:
Today's known-to-me winners:

Smells Like Teen Spirit -- Nirvana (Marco)
Marquee Moon -- Television (OH)
Let's Stay Together -- Al Green (Krista4)
Living for the City -- Stevie Wonder (DrIanMalcolm)
American Girl -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Ilov80s)
Free Bird -- Lynyrd Skynyrd (JustWinBaby)
I Wish It Would Rain -- The Temptations (Uruk-Hai)
Melissa -- The Allman Brothers Band (Neal Cassady)
The Captain and Me -- The Doobie Brothers (Binky)
Kiss -- Prince (Eephus)
What You Won't Do for Love -- Bobby Caldwell (Doug B)
Louisiana Rain -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Simey)
More than a Feeling -- Boston (AAABatteries)
Grandma's Hands -- Bill Withers (Landryshat)

Notes:

Ukiah/The Captain and Me is one of my favorite sequences to end an album. Both songs should get more recognition than they do.

What You Won't Do for Love may be the quintessential song that produces the reaction "WHAT? That guy is white?"

Bill Withers' introduction to Grandma's Hands on Live at Carnegie Hall encapsulates everything I love about that man. It's heartfelt, it's empathetic, it's inspirational and it's hilarious. And that's before the song even starts.

At first, when we listed favorites, I would list those coming up later on my list, without mentioning that they were. At some point I realized that was going to be dull for me, so I stopped. I have to acknowledge, though, that of my remaining 12 picks, three are on today's list. Of those that aren't, I'll shout out the Jimi tune, because Jimi was perfection, and that song was fire.

Lots of great new-to-me songs today, including Pearl Jam's "Off He Goes," Sun Kil Moon's "Carry Me Ohio" (which I've probably heard but don't remember), and the Indigo Girls' "Power of Two." Buddy Guy will always get a gold star from me and "Midnight Train" was no exception. I have no idea why, but to my dying day I will never be able to keep The Black Crowes straight vs. The Black Keys, but whichever one had a song today, I liked it.

Hands-down winner of new-to-me today, though, was "The Silence" by Manchester Orchestra. WHOA. It had so many chances to go oh-so-wrong and move into bombast, but it never did. It was somehow both stark and lush. I hate saying this, but I do kinda wish it were performed by someone with a better voice, less tinny. Still, it's a stunningly beautiful song.

I also completed my @KarmaPolice -mandated second supplemental Deftones listening party. What I've found in the seven songs I've listened to so far is that I always like the music, but my enjoyment of the song is wholly dependent upon how "processed" and stylized the vocal is, with those that are high on that scale being those I don't enjoy. Of those today, I couldn't get into Change (In the House of Flies) for that reason. Loved Digital Bath top to bottom. Knife Prty was a mixed bag. Thought it might be my favorite one yet until ~3 minutes in when it changed. Still would put that one on my "yes" list. Good stuff, and I'll check out some more!

I think after my song tomorrow is revealed then my remaining 11 are 10 duplicates and one song that was mentioned but hasn’t been picked yet. Lotta chalk.

ETA - I may have misremembered one other song so I may have 2 songs left that aren’t dupes

I think after my song tomorrow is revealed then my remaining 11 are 10 duplicates and one song that was mentioned but hasn’t been picked yet. Lotta chalk.

ETA - I may have misremembered one other song so I may have 2 songs left that aren’t dupes

Your 30-point, 29-point, 28-point, and 26-point songs are still out there, in addition to tomorrow's song.

Your 30-point, 29-point, 28-point, and 26-point songs are still out there, in addition to tomorrow's song.

Obviously my reading comprehension sucks. I do remember now that at least one of those two I forgot is in the contest list - the other one I just screwed up. My point should have been - anybody looking for New to Me songs should just skip my list. 😀

Obviously my reading comprehension sucks. I do remember now that at least one of those two I forgot is in the contest list - the other one I just screwed up. My point should have been - anybody looking for New to Me songs should just skip my list. 😀

You are the only vote for one of those four, so there's still hope! :lol:

I just made the mistake of asking OH which was his least favorite of three songs that have been chosen here and I knew he would hate. He chose the Eagles song I offered and then went on like a 15-minute rant about how, among other things, they "ruined Joe Walsh" (with a side rant about how at least The Steve Miller Band was fun and Joe Walsh should have ended up there). The rant was capped with "...and how can you do that much coke and still be boring?!"

Last edited:
I just made the mistake of asking OH which was his least favorite of three songs that have been chosen here and I knew he would hate. He chose the Eagle song I offered and then went on like a 15-minute rant about how, among other things, they "ruined Joe Walsh" (with a side rant about how at least The Steve Miller Band was fun and Joe Walsh should have ended up there). The rant was capped with "...and how can you do that much coke and still be boring?!"

I think I mentioned this in another music thread but I’m not sure there’s another band like the Eagles where they have a few songs I love and a few songs I loathe. Desperado and Witchy Woman are nails on a chalkboard but Take It Easy and Already Gone are a couple I love.

I just made the mistake of asking OH which was his least favorite of three songs that have been chosen here and I knew he would hate. He chose the Eagle song I offered and then went on like a 15-minute rant about how, among other things, they "ruined Joe Walsh" (with a side rant about how at least The Steve Miller Band was fun and Joe Walsh should have ended up there). The rant was capped with "...and how can you do that much coke and still be boring?!"
I clearly don't know OH, but his pretentiousness is both certain and entertaining.

I totally respect his knowledge of music ...but gd ...

btw: this comes off as though I don't like OH, I do ...he seems like someone very cool to hang with

I just made the mistake of asking OH which was his least favorite of three songs that have been chosen here and I knew he would hate. He chose the Eagles song I offered and then went on like a 15-minute rant about how, among other things, they "ruined Joe Walsh" (with a side rant about how at least The Steve Miller Band was fun and Joe Walsh should have ended up there). The rant was capped with "...and how can you do that much coke and still be boring?!"
:lol:

I rag on the Eagles a lot, but they made a lot of good records. Their problem was that they wanted to be IMPORTANT and got so sour because no one else agreed that their last real album was an interminable bore (except for Walsh's "In The City", which was a solo cut anyway). Way too many "people need to take us serious!' rants from them got old to me pretty quickly.

In a battle of the bands, though, they smoke Steve Miller. Joe Walsh was funky and, if he had joined Miller's band, he'd have lost all of his funk the moment he parked his Maserati at the studio. He would have instantly turned into Toby from The Office. Steve Miller was so unfunky and so jive that people stopped using the word "jive" because they were afraid he'd come back with another godawful hit.

(narrator: the author of this post likes "Fly Like An Eagle" and "Abracadabra" so don't take anything he says seriously)

Honorable Mention to House of Jealous Lovers (rock) which takes me back to an excellent time and place.

Same here and thanks for the mention. I'd always liked the song but until I heard it on a trip (to take the bar examination) I took to Buffalo in a bar with everybody just purely dancing with reckless abandon, I hadn't realized the power of dance punk for so many people that were like myself.

And that simey and krista4 shouted it out makes me feel like it's not out of place. I remember even wikkid liked it. He said -- and he meant it as a compliment -- that it was like four guys playing leads but tucked into the same groove. He dug that.

So yeah, it's the first 12" single (I believe) from James Murphy's (of LCD Soundsystem) DFA label, and it did the whole dance punk thing from the aughts total justice.

Last edited:
For some reason, I can't access my list anymore but I think I have 4 (?) songs on mine yet to come that have already been chosen at least once. How can I write pretentious crap when y'all keep stealing my thunder?

Pip’s Invitation:

Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys
(new artist)

One of the best antiwar songs ever written, and possibly the one whose music best conveys the message in addition to the lyrics. Hendrix, Cox and Miles are deeply funky, deeply heavy and just deep. People much more grounded in music theory than I have compared Hendrix' guitar playing on this track to John Coltrane's saxophone improvisations. The song also paved the way for the funk/rock fusion that happened over the course of the '70s.

If James Brown tried heavy metal (as the genre was understood in 1970), it would have sounded like this.
Probably the most aptly-named record in rock history. And your last sentence is one of the truest ever written here. Awesome selection, sir.

Glad to read so many others enjoyed Manchester Orchestra. No doubter best song from the last decade for my ears. Still get chills with each listen.

I agree in a big way. Also surprised KP and simey were unfamiliar with it. I have drafted it twice pimping it pretty hard both times. I stumbled across this thread a week ago, took four days catching up on 60 pages with a lot of listening, and am just playing along a little. Doing so had me debating The Silence as my #1 or 2 overall song for this project. Love it and get the chills sometimes too.

Happy holidays everybody. Really fun thread. Sorry I missed it. I have a list of about 20 with, I think, 7 duplicates now. I'll share the ones no one chose when this wraps up.

Just a couple comments. My favorite pick of this draft is @ditkaburgers AiC Man in the Box. Top 15 pick for me. My chaosburgers is also a young woman in her mid-20s and she hates it. Probably because her 60 yr old long haird dad makes horn hands and headbangs to it too often and it scares her cuz she thinks it's satanic (deny your maker). I think this is proof Eeph is a better dad than me, but then from all the Springsteen in the world he chose Brilliant Disguise so maybe not.

shuke:

Carry Me Ohio - Sun Kil Moon
(new artist)

I can't really put into words how this song makes me feel.
It's an amazing track. Not sure how much you follow the music drafts, but I am talking about and drafting songs from that album quite a bit. It has to be one of my most listened to albums since I've come across it. Like 80s was talking, I waiver between being grumpy you are stealing my SKM thunder and glad it's getting double the exposure and odds more listen to it. ;)

Glad to read so many others enjoyed Manchester Orchestra. No doubter best song from the last decade for my ears. Still get chills with each listen.

I agree in a big way. Also surprised KP and simey were unfamiliar with it. I have drafted it twice pimping it pretty hard both times. I stumbled across this thread a week ago, took four days catching up on 60 pages with a lot of listening, and am just playing along a little. Doing so had me debating The Silence as my #1 or 2 overall song for this project. Love it and get the chills sometimes too.

Happy holidays everybody. Really fun thread. Sorry I missed it. I have a list of about 20 with, I think, 7 duplicates now. I'll share the ones no one chose when this wraps up.

Just a couple comments. My favorite pick of this draft is @ditkaburgers AiC Man in the Box. Top 15 pick for me. My chaosburgers is also a young woman in her mid-20s and she hates it. Probably because her 60 yr old long haird dad makes horn hands and headbangs to it too often and it scares her cuz she thinks it's satanic (deny your maker). I think this is proof Eeph is a better dad than me, but then from all the Springsteen in the world he chose Brilliant Disguise so maybe not.
I mean, yeah - I totally remember that. :oldunsure: :bag:

Sorry, I wouldn't even be surprised if I did listen to it, even commented on it, and forgot I did so or heard the song. More likely it somehow got lost in the shuffle, or I didn't get your list for a listen, something. I miss people's posts too often, and I usually don't click on a link in the post itself, I usually only encounter the songs when I listen to mixes.

Users who are viewing this thread