What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Now that my daily hippling is done I now realize that I may be having a thunder stealing battle with one of you. No names, but...there will be blood.

I'm not sure whom you're talking about, but I just looked at your list and see that you are going to steal the thunder on two top songs from one person's list before we're done.

Got drunk last night and booked a flight to Amsterdam in January. :oldunsure:

I remembered why I posted this here (in addition to making fun of myself), which was to solicit any ideas of shows to go to while there. But I was just poking around and now see that Belle and Sebastian are playing in Paris the day I would arrive in Amsterdam. Might need to switch to Paris instead.

Anne Frank house, Rembrandt and Van Gogh museums

I remembered why I posted this here (in addition to making fun of myself), which was to solicit any ideas of shows to go to while there. But I was just poking around and now see that Belle and Sebastian are playing in Paris the day I would arrive in Amsterdam. Might need to switch to Paris instead.

I've been to the Anne Frank house but not the museums. I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times but only for a short visit each time. Definitely will want to see the Van Gogh museum and will try to do the Rembrandt one, too. Thanks for the recommendations!

I've been to the Anne Frank house but not the museums. I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times but only for a short visit each time. Definitely will want to see the Van Gogh museum and will try to do the Rembrandt one, too. Thanks for the recommendations!
Say hello to the all the cats for me on The Catboat in Amsterdam.

My last name is “Van ______” with the “______” for a town not far outside Amsterdam. Never been though — need to change that.

Unlike others I have bad news on the trip front. We canceled our trip to Florida because of Cassidy, our cat with lymphoma

Sorry about the trip, Pip.

The good news is that his condition has not worsened and he is acting more like himself than he was in the months before his diagnosis. He is responding well to the steroid that he is on.

This is good news. Sometimes you just want to stop time, you know? Today can hover forever sometimes, and sometimes that's a good thing.

Pip’s Invitation:

Papa Was a Rollin' Stone - The Temptations
(new song)
Haven't heard this for a long time. Such a classic
alguy:

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
(new song)
I think we have the same lists in different order
simsarge:

Ticket To Ride - Carpenters
(new song)
So this was my #2 choice. Her voice again is just so awesome on this. And Beatles!!
The Dreaded Marco:

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
(new song)
Have 3 in my top 12, and this wasn't one of them. Actually four, but one is a cover. Saw them at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim around 2009. Garfunkel's voice should be classified as it's own instrument.

The Rat (rock) - Love this one so much and it almost made my list. At one point I was debating between it and We've Been Had and in not wanting to make the call, didn't pick either.

I generally pick "They're Winning" for The Walkmen, but wanted to switch it up a bit because other drafters probably know I pick it often. "They're Winning" really isn't the best introduction to the band, either, as it's hazy and slurry, but for me, that is the essence of The Walkmen. A little bit Dylan-y on the vox, very tight on drum and bass, but slurry everywhere else.

The Rat -- The Walkmen (Rockaction). I'm not sure if I've heard it before or not. In the GP4 thread I told the story of randomly being invited to a frat party at Penn (by the same guy who introduced me to My Morning Jacket) where these guys were playing. I stood by the side of the stage, slackjawed, staring at the drummer the whole time. He was incredible. I have no idea if this song was played at that show or even existed at the time, but it reminds me of that day.

If it existed, they likely played it. It would be tough to remember given that setting, though. I've been famously wasted at some shows by them and done some nefarious things afterwards.

but otherwise I think of Boston as the most generic of all generic classic rock bands

I didn't pick them at all, but this strikes me as the wrong way to look at it. Instead of striking me as generic, I would say they helped define the AOR genre. Big difference in that and I think that my take would be more accurate. Ready to listen to counterpoints, as it's not my area of expertise. But if you can't show your significant other two tickets to paradise (Welcome to the gun show!) while the riff from "More Than A Feeling" is playing in a moving car, you're doing something wrong with music.

And also insert a thanks to k4's comment about "The Rat" today, which I can't find right now and don't want to lose all that I've typed here.

but otherwise I think of Boston as the most generic of all generic classic rock bands

I didn't pick them at all, but this strikes me as the wrong way to look at it. Instead of striking me as generic, I would say they helped define the AOR genre. Big difference in that and I think that my take would be more accurate. Ready to listen to counterpoints, as it's not my area of expertise. But if you can't show your significant other two tickets to paradise (Welcome to the gun show!) while the riff from "More Than A Feeling" is playing in a moving car, you're doing something wrong with music.
Gotta agree here. For a while during COVID, I got obsessed with those Rick Beato What Makes This Song Great videos. His one on More Than A Feeling gave me a whole new perspective. I always liked the song fine, but now can see how perfectly it's constructed.

The one whose popularity here surprises me is Don't Fear the Reaper. Good song and all, but kind of shocked that more than one person list it as among their ATFs.

Heading into the #9s tomorrow, we still have two of our top 15 songs that have yet to receive a vote. Will they be revealed tomorrow?

Tomorrow features what I find to be a very surprising double-up at this stage in the countdown. And if it's Wednesday, that must mean we'll also have two new Tom Petty songs.

It's harder to tell nowadays with everything remastered and boosted to the ceiling but the Boston LP was a sonic breakthrough in the mid 70s. Hard Rock records from earlier in the decade generally had a grittier thicker sound (with exceptions of course) with live sounding guitars. Scholz along with Brian May/Roy Thomas Baker and some others transformed the ways guitars could sound.

That was a golden age of hi-fi equipment and kids bought records that sounded great when played loud. Marijuana probably had something to do with it as well, at least for me.

Dr. Octopus:
This sounds like Stephen Stills to me. Not in the production or arrangement (though some of the steel guitar parts sound a bit like those in Teach Your Children*), and there aren't any harmonies to evoke CSN, but in the melody and the cadence in which Lamontagne sings. It's an approach Stills used a lot on his early solo albums.

(I'm making my way through the 5 Out playlist bit by bit when I am caught up on the regular ones.)

* - I know Teach Your Children is a Graham Nash song, but he wrote it as a Fairport Convention-ish folk tune. It was Stills who decided it should have a country arrangement.

Last edited:
(I'm making my way through the 5 Out playlist bit by bit when I am caught up on the regular ones.)

Sheesh, thanks for mentioning that. I was looking at that song thinking, "Did I get drunk and post some random song for Doc Oc?!"
As evidence of my commitment, I am now listening to all 17 minutes of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Fun fact: The mother of one of the members of Iron Butterfly lived in the same 55-and-over complex as my father and stepmother. So did Oliver Stone's mother.

Just incredible.

simey: Gentle on My Mind - Glen Campbell

Great song but I feel like it's lost some luster due to overuse in commercials.

scorchy: Time to Pretend – MGMT
(new artist)

Not my normal jam, but I really love this song.

rockaction: The Rat - The Walkmen
(new artist)

Another awesome Shuke Thread™ pick.

New Binky the Doormat: No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age
(new artist)

And another.

Pip’s Invitation: Papa Was a Rollin' Stone - The Temptations
(new song)

And another!

Dr. Octopus: Mama Tried – Merle Haggard
(duplicate - second vote)

And yet another!

jwb: Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground
(duplicate - second vote)

And another!!!!

falguy: The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
(new song)

And another.

worrierking: Born on the Bayou - Creedence Clearwater Revival
(new song)

And another. Glad to see this finally get picked.

Zegras11: Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Öyster Cult
(duplicate – fourth vote)

Yup, another.

Oliver Humanzee: The Ballad of El Goodo - Big Star
(new song)

Pleasantly surprised to see this picked.

Hawks64: New Light - John Mayer
(new artist)

When did the lead guitarist for Dead and Company go solo??

As for my pick, I'm sure I've posted this before. Family tradition is that this is the first song played for every road trip. And when I say family tradition I guess it's really my choice as the driver. Not sure how it started, but it just did. I love the chaos and energy.

If this is new to you, please listen to at least the 2:10 mark.

I've seen several references in this thread to songs being used in ads, usually someone saying "How could you not know this song when it was used in xxxxx ad or xxxxx bumper music?" I'm a little surprised at this. I rarely watch anything real-time, so skip all ads, but if I'm watching a show real-time, I start it late so I can FF through them. For Sunday football, I switch over to the other game during ads. Basically I will rarely see any ad, and if I did I don't think I'd note a song or realize what it was.

The big exception to this is that ****ING Fleetwood Mac song I've heard a billion times recently.

I've never heard it in a commercial.

Same, if I'm watching something live. . . and it's pretty much only sports these days. . . I cannot tap that mute button fast enough. Pre-game? Nope. Halftime. . . "So what does your team need to take control of the 2nd half coach" "Well, uh, like we need to stop turning over the ball and stuff and then, uh, well we need to like stop making stupid penalties, you know?" "You heard it here first folks, coach is furious and disappointed, back to you Booger." I know it's criminal but I mute those hard hitting, deeply meaningful insights as well as the recaps of the previous games that I've already seen 10 times on the other channels by now. Post game, even if my team wins? Nope. Mute button and my iPad ftw. . . gotta get back to the top 31 thread after the game, sheesh!

I've never heard it in a commercial.

Hmmm. Wasn't sure where I heard it so looked. It's a Western and Southern commercial.

This is a Cincinnati-based company so maybe I'm only seeing these. I listen to AM radio on my drive in to work so maybe there are radio commercials too.

But I hear it ALL THE TIME.
I've never seen that commercial or heard of the company.

As I did with Doc Oc's gang of idiots, I am ranking everybody's rankings (except mine) -- I have a list of every song revealed so far (minus the ones on my list) in the order of how much I like them. I'll do this every time we hit a number that ends in 0 or 5. It provides a glimpse of who might have the most similar tastes to me so far.

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 10 of songs not on my list:

AAABatteries: 4
Krista4: 4
Neal Cassady: 3
Simey: 3
DrIanMalcolm: 2
Hov34: 2
Marco: 2
OH: 2
Ditkaburgers: 1
Don Quixote: 1
JustWinBaby: 1
jwb: 1
Landryshat: 1
MAC 32: 1
Shuke: 1
Simsarge: 1
Sullie: 1
Worrierking: 1
Zegras11: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 25 of songs not on my list:

Krista4: 5
AAABatteries: 4
Binky: 4
Neal Cassady: 4
Simey: 4
DrIanMalcolm: 3
Hov34: 3
jwb: 3
Marco: 3
JustWinBaby: 2
Landryshat: 2
MAC 32: 2
Manster: 2
OH: 2
Shuke: 2
Sullie: 2
Worrierking: 2
Zegras11: 2
Don Quixote: 1
Falguy: 1
Ilov80s: 1
KarmaPolice: 1
Simsarge: 1
Yankee23Fan: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 50 of songs not on my list:

Binky: 6
AAABatteries: 5
Don Quixote: 5
DrIanMalcolm: 5
jwb: 5
Krista4: 5
Neal Cassady: 5
Simey: 5
Hov34: 4
JustWinBaby: 4
Marco: 4
Shuke: 4
Worrierking: 4
Manster: 3
OH: 3
Sullie: 3
Eephus: 2
Falguy: 2
Ilov80s: 2
Landryshat: 2
MAC 32: 2
Rockaction: 2
Simsarge: 2
Val Rannous: 2
Zegras11: 2
Chaz: 1
Uruk-Hai: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 75 of songs not on my list:

AAABatteries: 7
Binky: 7
Don Quixote: 7
Hov34: 7
jwb: 7
Krista4: 7
Shuke: 7
DrIanMalcolm: 6
Neal Cassady: 6
Worrierking: 6
Simey: 5
JustWinBaby: 4
MAC 32: 4
Marco: 4
OH: 4
Uruk-Hai: 4
Zegras11: 4
Chaz: 3
Falguy: 3
Landryshat: 3
Eephus: 2
Ilov80s: 2
Scorchy: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 100 of songs not on my list:

Krista4: 11
AAABatteries: 9
Binky: 9
Hov34: 9
Don Quixote: 8
jwb: 8
Shuke: 8
DrIanMalcolm: 7
Neal Cassady: 7
JustWinBaby: 6
Simey: 6
Uruk-Hai: 6
Worrierking: 6
Landryshat: 5
Marco: 5
OH: 5
Zegras11: 5
MAC 32: 4
Chaz: 3
Falguy: 3
Doc Oc: 3
Eephus: 3
Ilov80s: 3
Scorchy: 2
Doug B: 1

There are 22 instances of someone picking a song that is on my list. Three of those are Use Me. One is Everlong. One is Good Vibrations. One is I Am Trying to Break Your Heart. One is Race for the Prize. The other songs haven't been revealed yet.

As for my pick, I'm sure I've posted this before. Family tradition is that this is the first song played for every road trip. And when I say family tradition I guess it's really my choice as the driver. Not sure how it started, but it just did. I love the chaos and energy.

If this is new to you, please listen to at least the 2:10 mark.
(It sounds not unlike Neil Young.)

I rarely watch anything real-time, so skip all ads, but if I'm watching a show real-time, I start it late so I can FF through them. For Sunday football, I switch over to the other game during ads. Basically I will rarely see any ad, and if I did I don't think I'd note a song or realize what it was.

:goodposting:

This. Exactly this...

I found darn near an entire genre of music (and one song on my list -- "House Of Jealous Lovers") I liked from a commercial. Back around 2002, there was a stupid car commercial that featured Radio 4's "Dance To The Underground." I used the internet to track it down, and that was how I came across The Rapture and DFA Records. The rest is history for me and dance-inspired punk music. Gotta love frustrated artists/musicians turned copywriters and ad execs/musical directors. They can come up with something interesting at times.

I know we should never assume, but "Dance To The Underground" likely isn't hitting anybody's list, so I don't think I'm stealing anybody's thunder here.

I found darn near an entire genre of music (and one song on my list -- "House Of Jealous Lovers") I liked from a commercial. Back around 2002, there was a stupid car commercial that featured Radio 4's "Dance To The Underground." I used the internet to track it down, and that was how I came across The Rapture and DFA Records. The rest is history for me and dance-inspired punk music. Gotta love frustrated artists/musicians turned copywriters and ad execs/musical directors. They can come up with something interesting at times.

I know we should never assume, but "Dance To The Underground" likely isn't hitting anybody's list, so I don't think I'm stealing anybody's thunder here.
I had never heard of Radio 4 until I went up to Albany to see my high school buddy's band open for Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. Radio 4 was the other band on the bill. They closed their set with Dance to the Underground and I was captivated by it.

They closed their set with Dance to the Underground and I was captivated by it.

I had the same experience listening. I was just like...what was that? For its time, it was pretty fresh. It was just unadulterated dance/rock, which had sorta died with post-punk's heyday and was certainly not represented in the circles both you and I probably ran in during the years prior to its release. I can't speak for you totally, but I know that dance-rock and post-punk appreciation for me was entirely a younger generation's phenomenon, one that I really appreciated at the time as I was just hitting my post-adolescence and real adulthood years at then. (I had had a delayed adolescence and young adulthood, one might say.)

Anyway, that's a really cool double bill. The song did not make my countdown even though I've tried to get it before. It probably would have been or it would been one of the first twenty-two out (that number keeps inching upward - and, no, I don't even expect nor consider your stalwart *** is going to listen to all those tracks as you work through the Top Five Out -- I'm impressed you're even endeavoring with that). I've ordered "Dance..." before, but the guy who I ordered the 12" from flaked and only has it on CD even though it was listed as a 12". Duh. The rest of the used copies were probably too expensive, not in good condition, or non-existent, IIRC.

Gotta agree here. For a while during COVID, I got obsessed with those Rick Beato What Makes This Song Great videos. His one on More Than A Feeling gave me a whole new perspective. I always liked the song fine, but now can see how perfectly it's constructed.

The one whose popularity here surprises me is Don't Fear the Reaper. Good song and all, but kind of shocked that more than one person list it as among their ATFs.

This was awesome. You just sent me down a rabbit hole.

This was awesome. You just sent me down a rabbit hole.
Enjoy. He knows his guano. The shows he sometimes does with other musicians are hilarious. His interview with Seal for "Kiss from a Rose" is great.

MAC_32:

In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley
(new song)

My apologies to @MAC_32 but I can't listen to this song any longer because of this.
Is that Cartman? Not clicking on the link if it is. :laugh:

Yes and goddammit if I won’t be singing IN THE GHETTO in Cartman’s voice the rest of the night.

For 3 nights in a row I had gotten up to pee at 4am with Sinnerman being my ear worm. Guess what ####### song was my ear worm today!

Users who are viewing this thread