What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

A few notes on 31 choices, of the bands relatively new/underappreciated maybe Modest Mouse, Drivin and Cryin', Spinto Band and humpty Dance stand out. Probably my top 5 would be Nick of Time which I had a friend start as her monitor man on that album's tour so some close ties. During warmup sound check Bonnie was on keyboards in a short skirt. My buddy and I were waiting to talk to Dougie G and Bonnie looks at us and says sorry boys and crossed her legs, lol.
Stand by Me, All time great song and great inclusion.
For the Love of Money. Outstanding representation of an interesting time in Us society.
Fortunate Son, see above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEWrWm0ydnY

Tomorrow we will crown an early leader for "favorite song" as we will have our first double-up. (Spoiler: early leads aren't a good thing in this scenario.) And indeed MAC will have his third straight instance of choosing the same artist, different song as someone else in the round. That streak will be broken at Round 27.
That's the good stuff

I went down a YouTube rabbit hole a couple of years ago when someone posted a bunch of "Midnight Special Best of 197X" videos. There was definitely a LOT of Helen Reddy.
I wonder if it's kind of an "Alec Baldwin on SNL" thing and Helen Reddy lived around the corner from the Midnight Special studio or something.
Wikipedia says Reddy enrolled in UCLA in 1969. so she did likely live near there.

Sorry, just catching up with this. I'll be posting a little thing about some of my less-well-known pics. I'll just be way late.

Smog--Our Anniversary

Some thoughts on this, my 31st favorite song.

Bill Callahan went from a basement-taping lo-fi experimentalist to our generation’s Kris Kristofferson in like 4 years.

Like A River Ain’t Too Much To Love, it was recorded in Chicago, quickly, over a couple of days by Drag City stalwart and second nicest guy on the planet Jeremy Lemos. Jim White of the Dirty Three and Nick Cave/Bad Seeds, plays drums. It is ironic that the Smog records are top-down affairs wherein Callahan unilaterally dictates all of the production choices and musical decisions, but the later “Bill Callahan” records are more collaborative, full-band affairs.

Tough to list all the ways in which this song is lyrically accomplished.

If the irony of the line

“Its our anniversary and you've hidden my keys
This is one anniversary you're spending with me”

Doesn’t perfectly describe a doomed, toxic relationship--one wherein the only intimacy afforded on an anniversary is the result of hiding your drunk partner’s keys, then the line

“So let us thrive let us thrive
Let us thrive let us thrive
Just like the weeds
We curse sometimes”

Surely does.

The song is a plea for grace and mercy for an enemy, who might be your spouse.

Another lovely bit:

“I go outside to look at the driveway stars.”

I love the idea of diminishing the heavenly and celestial by bringing it into your crappy front yard. The stars are different from your driveway. They are driveway stars.

This is capital-P Poetry within a song as good as any Raymond Carver story, and I hope you’ll listen to it some.

Here's a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlWjyF-XZs

Here's a clip of John C. Reilly, Tim Heidecker, and Jim White reacting to a Will Oldham/Dead Rider cover. (SPOILER: it is awesome.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBYxKpXIh1k

A good reception to the first one, so let's keep on rolling! 29 will be farther away.
#30:
Recognized by title alone: 20
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn't know: 12

Selected Favorites:
This batch was tougher. Lots of bands that were in my “short” list of roughly 75 that I was trying (/failing) to get down to 31. I’ll just pick a few that were likely on the outside looking in.
Welcome to the Black Parade - This gets into the “Guilty Pleasure” category as I’m into very little emo. But I like this one.
Foolish Heart- This was completely a moment of “Oh, right, I know this song but had almost completely forgotten about it”.
Johnny B. Goode - Urge to make a “Back to the Future” reference rising. Though don’t believe for a second that that’s the only reason I mention this one.

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Shelter - This song (and probably Ray’s work) needs more time before I figure out if I dive into all of it. But at worst it’s a strong “maybe”.
Humbug Mountain Song - It’s an older vibe than 2016, for sure. It’s hard to figure who it reminds me of, but that just invites further listens.
Mystery - My knowledge of punk is spotty (especially compared to one of my friends), but this quickly sounds like the type of it that I’d get into.

30 Wipers--Mystery
I could've picked any song from the first three Wipers records--they are all perfect--but "Mystery" is the most accessibly rockin', has the best bass line, and wasn't covered by Nirvana.

The Wipers auteur Greg Sage is the imprimatur of post-modern Pacific Northwest alienation, an architect of the sound that would become "grunge" (Nirvana covered "Return of the Rat" and "D-7" at various points in their career) and as unique a guitarist as has every played.

I don't use the term "alienation" metaphorically, and neither does Greg. Unable to come to grips with his homosexuality and inability to meaningfully connect with his peers, Greg Sage believed that he was an actual alien, from planet Xeno, in Dimension 7, stranded in a suburb of Portland, Oregon.

This conceit informs all of his songs. The feelings described in "Mystery" might make a simple, adolescent song of unrequited love. To Greg Sage, it is the tragedy of falling in love with an alien being.

But where he fails to connect in human language, he connects mightily with his guitar. A tone so blowed and underwater has barely made it onto record before, and at some moments really does sound like messages from another world.

The song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f_ZF_LGohc

Bonus cover. I saw these Minnesota champs cover this song in a tiny bar in Milwaukee (The Circle A) like 15 years ago. they were a 2 piece then, with a super frenetic drummer playing a minimal kit (one cymbal, no toms), punk AF and really great. There's a bass player on this recording, but it still delivers and I'm glad that it made it on to a record.

I was too far behind and stopped giving out likes but absolutely love the idea of 31 playlists. #31 clocks in at 2 hr 19 min which is just about perfect length as far as I'm concerned. Really enjoying shuffling through the eclectic mix and anticipating what comes next.

Kudos to hawks64 on Spotify.

Gold: Mr. Brightside (Chaz). I saw the Killers open for Stellastarr* at The Khyber in Philly with like 20 other people. Brandon Flowers acted like he was performing for a stadium. You could tell they were gonna be huge.
That is awesome. Reminds me of how a friend of mine went with a friend of his to the Khyber to heckle the headliner (who had been dicks to them when their band was on a bill with them) and one of the openers was an act from Kentucky that had just released their first album, My Morning Jacket. MMJ's set was so powerful -- like you, he said it was a "I know they're gonna be huge" moment -- that my friend and his friend just left the venue in stunned silence without staying for the dicky headliners. (Turned out this was one of the first gigs MMJ had played outside Kentucky or Chicago.)
I had a similar experience at the Wetlands in NYC. I went to see the God Street Wine (a band I often pimp on here). The opening act was an unknown band from Pittsburgh, Rusted Root. They were fantastic, had so much energy. While they peaked quickly, a year or two later they made it big and I wasn’t surprised.

Missed a few days - have flu and strep. Have only wanted to sleep and that's about all I've done for 48 hours.

Round 29 Loves:

@shuke LA Woman - The Doors: Prob my favorite from the band from Los Angeles, California.
@Chaz McNulty Mr. Brightside - The Killers: They close with this in concert and there's a reason why.
@jwb Borderline - Madonna: Prob my favorite Madonna song ever - always loved the video RIP 280z
@Eephus You Get What You Give - New Radicals: Just can't help but love and sing this song out loud.
@MAC_32 So What cha Want - Beastie Boys: Lip synched :bag: the other Beasties song (Brooklyn) with a couple of friends in high school. Love this one almost as much as the one I chose later.

New2Me

@landrys hat The Devil Is All Around - Shovels and Rope: Saw them open for someone (Dawes maybe?) several years ago. Husband/Wife team if I'm not mistaken. Liked them and have a couple of songs in playlists from them, but hadn't heard this one. Like it a lot.

Number 28:

krista4:

Tighten Up - Archie Bell and the Drells

Just Win Baby:

The King of the World (2001), from Lonelyland - Bob Schneider

simey:

Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In - The Fifth Dimension

scorchy:

Head Like a Hole – Nine Inch Nails

neal cassady:

Bury Me Deep - Poi Dog Pondering

Uruk-Hai:

Ain't No Woman Like The One I Got - The Four Tops

Yankee23Fan:

Scenes From An Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel

Manster:

In Praise of Bacchus - Type O Negative

shuke:

This Ol' Cowboy - Marshall Tucker Band

rockaction:

Shake Your Rump - Beastie Boys

Mrs. Rannous:

Galveston - Glen Campbell

New Binky the Doormat:

Reflections - The Supremes

Pip’s Invitation:

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - Wilco

Dr. Octopus:

Return of the Grievous Angel – Gram Parsons

Val Rannous:

Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Chaz McNulty:

Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers

Don Quixote:

Summertime - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong

Sullie:

Frankenstein - The Edgar Winter Group

jwb:

Excitable Boy – Warren Zevon

DrIanMalcolm:

Killing Floor, Howlin' Wolf

Hawks64:

Tip of My Tongue - Kenny Chesney

MAC_32:

American Kids - Kenny Chesney

falguy:

He Ain't Heavy, He's my Brother - Neil Diamond

simsarge:

Let The Tears Roll Down - Marcia Ball

worrierking:

Midnight Rider - The Allman Brothers Band

Eephus:

Slow Show - The National

Hov34:

Use Me - Bill Withers

ditkaburgers:

Lonely Town - Brandon Flowers

AAABatteries:

Little Red Corvette - Prince

landryshat:

Lonesome, On'ry and Mean - Waylon Jennings

Zegras11:

My Sharona - The Knack

Ilov80s:

Kozmic Blues - Janis Joplin

Oliver Humanzee:

I Put a Spell On You - Screaming Jay Hawkins

The Dreaded Marco:

King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 - Neutral Milk Hotel

Doug B:

Fine Fine Day - Tony Carey

Last edited:
My #28, "Tighten Up," is my favorite song to dance around to. It's such a blast, from the intro to "a new dance called the Tighten Up," to the way Archie harangues all the members of the band to "tighten up" on their instruments. "Now tighten up on that bass." And they do! I probably love this song more than a few above it, but it's such a trifle that I couldn't justify putting it higher.

There's only a couple in this stack I don't know, but I'm positive already that I know which of these records would finish last if I were ranking them all. I don't even need to hear the unknowns - they'll be better than Last Place.

My #28, "Tighten Up," is my favorite song to dance around to. It's such a blast, from the intro to "a new dance called the Tighten Up," to the way Archie harangues all the members of the band to "tighten up" on their instruments. "Now tighten up on that bass." And they do! I probably love this song more than a few above it, but it's such a trifle that I couldn't justify putting it higher.
I don't know that I'd call it a trifle. I think it's great.

Pretty sure I posted this before, but I always thought Archie was saying "....and we dance just as good as we want" when he was actually saying "....and we dance just as good as we walk". For, like, FIFTY YEARS.

It's shame they couldn't tour behind their two big hits (Archie got drafted and sent overseas). There were a bunch of fake Archie Bells & The Drells who DID tour, but the fakers obviously couldn't record more music. Then the Drells moment was gone. Maybe that would have happened anyway, but they never got the chance.

I'll add some context around my pick today...

TL;DR : This song rates highly due to having special meaning to me. I love Neil's version of this song and the emotion he puts into it. I get goosebumps and/or tears every time.

Long version
When I was a kid My parents didn't have a lot of music around the house. One album they had was the Neil Diamond 12 greatest Hits (the silver cover version). I listened to that a ton! I loved every song. HAHHMB wasn't on that album and, up until about 10 years ago, my favorite Neil song would likely have been I am, I said or possibly Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show. That said, my brother struggled with numerous health issues as an adult. Addictions to gambling and alcohol, gout, diabetes, liver issues, kidney issues. He was on dialysis twice weekly. Due to his liver and kidney issues he also suffered from some strange issues that required us (his family) to look after him almost 24/7 He passed away 2.5 years ago, oddly not directly from any of these issues. He crashed his car while driving in for his dialysis. Go figure! He was actually improving and was set to return to work in a few months time. So when I hear this song I think of him. He was a great man. had no enemies RIP Aaron.

When HDH left Motown, the Tops lost their main composing/songwriting team and their amazing run of hits dried up. They were pretty much left for dead. When Motown left a few years later for L.A., the Four Tops wanted to stay in Detroit and suddenly didn't have a label. They were left for dead again. Then they signed with ABC and had a string of hits (this song is one of them). The hits stopped coming after a couple of years. They were, you guessed it, once more left for dead. So, in the early '80s they came back out of nowhere with another big hit. 3 of the 4 are no longer with us, so I don't expect the pattern to repeat.

"Ain't No Woman" doesn't have the frenetic EQ of their mid-60s hits - it's closer to '70s Philly soul - but I love it. Levi Stubbs actually holds back, a strange enough occurrence. But the other Tops also get a (tiny) spotlight as lead at various points. The backing track is smooth as warm butter and Levi glides along on a love high.

I had a kinda/sorta girlfriend at the time, even though I was 10 or 11 (we didn't know what we were doing), who was a blond goddess named Susan. It only lasted about a month, but this was "our song". She dumped me while we were playing dodgeball at recess, and took up with a scoundrel.

Today's list seems so solid to me. Of the songs I know, there is only one I don't like (note: I do not know any Kenny Chesney songs). My top picks are "Use Me" and "Return of the Grievous Angel," but also giving a special shout-out to "Frankenstein." After seeing Edgar Winter play with Ringo's All-Starr Band last month, I've become a big fan.

There's only a couple in this stack I don't know, but I'm positive already that I know which of these records would finish last if I were ranking them all. I don't even need to hear the unknowns - they'll be better than Last Place.

LOL - I'm pretty sure I know which one you are talking about based on previous discussion. There's no way that song is worse than a few of these. It's one of his better songs.

My top 5 from Number 28:

• New Binky the Doormat - Reflections - The Supremes
  • Val Rannous - Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • Chaz McNulty - Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
  • Don Quixote - Summertime - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
  • Oliver Humanzee - I Put a Spell On You - Screaming Jay Hawkins

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the defining albums of my Lost Years. My friends and I were all captivated by it. I basically have a 1A and a 1B when it comes to Wilco songs, and they both come from this album. But I Am Trying to Break Your Heart was the one whose genius was apparent on very first listen, so I gave it the nod for this list.

The lyrics are random and even surrealistic at times, but at other points, they cut deeply.

This is not a joke, so please stop smiling
What was I thinking when I said it didn't hurt?

The music is stately and declarative, but with a touch of experimentation. It conveys that you are listening to a major work.

Jeff Tweedy was suffering from debilitating migraines during the writing and recording of this album, and many of the songs, including this one, were constructed in a way to convey to the listener what it was like to experience that. But on our end, it is not painful in the slightest.

Wow, I know almost all of today's songs.

I'm the opposite. Every time we do something like this I realize how much music I'm unfamiliar with. There's 21 songs that from the artist/title I have no idea what it is.
This is me from every round. That's why it takes me so long to put up my favorites. I also added the "best new-to-me song" favorite.

I will say that I appreciate the education I am getting. I was mainly just a radio listener back in the day. My two teenage daughters are big time music listeners and both are old souls that love the music from the 70's and 80's. They are enjoying the songs I have been sending their way.

Wow, I know almost all of today's songs. Favorites include Zevon, Marcia Ball (from nearby), Wilco, Neutral Milk Hotel, Poi Dog Pondering & Gram Parsons.

This is the first list that has a song on my top 31, to be revealed later.
Pretty much the same here. I know more from today than I did the other days, and this is the first appearance of a song I have ranked higher (Binky: lower).

Oliver Humanzee:

I Put a Spell On You - Screaming Jay Hawkins
More than Elvis swiveling his hips, more than the Kinkmatic Duo of Little Richard & Jerry Lee Lewis, and more than any prude's worst nightmare.......

THIS is the record that launched a thousand articles about how morally defunct rock-and-roll was by the Great Defenders Of White Womanhood.

Jay was so frigging smashed cutting it he had no memory of doing so and half of the people working on the record quit in frustration of trying to get some kind of coherent take.

I've heard later versions covered in a kind of "torchy" way, and some of them are quite good. But they all miss the point.

This record is Rock-and-Roll 101.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the defining albums of my Lost Years. My friends and I were all captivated by it. I basically have a 1A and a 1B when it comes to Wilco songs, and they both come from this album. But I Am Trying to Break Your Heart was the one whose genius was apparent on very first listen, so I gave it the nod for this list.

The lyrics are random and even surrealistic at times, but at other points, they cut deeply.

This is not a joke, so please stop smiling
What was I thinking when I said it didn't hurt?

The music is stately and declarative, but with a touch of experimentation. It conveys that you are listening to a major work.

Jeff Tweedy was suffering from debilitating migraines during the writing and recording of this album, and many of the songs, including this one, were constructed in a way to convey to the listener what it was like to experience that. But on our end, it is not painful in the slightest.

Still a favorite album of mine, too. Solid top to bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread