What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (4 Viewers)

I just had an odd encounter with a guy in the grocery store. I was looking at gift cards, and he came up beside me and said:

Guy: Hi
Me: Hello
Guy: How are you doing?
Me: Pretty good, you?
Guy: I'd be better if I could find myself a woman.
Me: Good luck to you.
Guy: Are you interested in being my woman today?
Me: No. Check the baking section.
Guy: Ok. Bye.
Me: Bye

Weird.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

I just had an odd encounter with a guy in the grocery store. I was looking at gift cards, and he came up beside me and said:

Guy: Hi
Me: Hello
Guy: How are you doing?
Me: Pretty good, you?
Guy: I'd be better if I could find myself a woman.
Me: Good luck to you.
Guy: Are you interested in being my woman today?
Me: No. Check the baking section.
Guy: Ok. Bye.
Me: Bye

Weird.
He’s an amateur. I offer to pay for the gift card when picking up women at Target checkout lines. Sometimes I’ll say “pick one out for yourself as well”, if she’s really attractive.

He’s an amateur. I offer to pay for the gift card when picking up women at Target checkout lines. Sometimes I’ll say “pick one out for yourself as well”, if she’s really attractive.
He needs you to coach him up better. After I told him to look in the baking section, he smiled and paused and said OK, and then he walked backwards slowly and said bye. I wonder if someone dared him to do it, but I didn't see any spectators hanging around. I was caught off guard, so I can't be sure. He was brazen. I wasn't dressed like a hooker either, and I'm definitely old enough to be his mother.

My top 5 from round 21 excluding my own choice:
@Hawks64, outstanding choice. I chose another PJ song, but find Garden to be a great and very underrated song.

@Hawks64, outstanding choice. I chose another PJ song, but find Garden to be a great and very underrated song.
I agree.....Garden is one my faves from Ten. I wore that disc out back in high school

He needs you to coach him up better. After I told him to look in the baking section, he smiled and paused and said OK, and then he walked backwards slowly and said bye. I wonder if someone dared him to do it, but I didn't see any spectators hanging around. I was caught off guard, so I can't be sure. He was brazen. I wasn't dressed like a hooker either, and I'm definitely old enough to be his mother.
Unsuccessful cougar hunter

Unsuccessful cougar hunter
He's been watching too many videos. There it works all the time.

On its face, this round looks weaker to me than the past two, but there are a lot of new-to-mes that could change my opinion. Oof, just realized I haven't listened to the 22s yet, either.

My favorites from this round are September Gurls, Summertime, and Johnny B. Goode. Special shout-out to Mary Jane's Last Dance for being my favorite Petty song (which isn't a high hurdle) and to Africa by Toto. Steve Lukather is part of Ringo's All-Starr Band right now, and their version of Africa at the show I saw in October was fantastic!
I realized when I submitted my list to you I named this song "Last Dance with Mary Jane" which is what I always kinda called it. When it came out our local radio station played it over, and over.....heck the radio stations I currently listen to play it all the time, still. I dont think I ever owned a physical copy. I'm not a huge greatest hits guys....... Interesting that Mary Janes Last Dance was recorded during the Wildflower sessions. That's some quality studio time right there!

Sullie:

Get the Lead Out - Aerosmith

Hawks64:

Garden - Pearl Jam

Two album tracks I did not expect to see. I haven't listened to Rocks in forever, so I'm going to have to revisit the Aerosmith track.

You can't really go wrong with anything from Ten. Garden is a little more '70s hard rock/metal than Pearl Jam usually got, but it's still a pretty good example of what made their early material special.

Number 21:

krista4:

A Change is Gonna Come – Sam Cooke

Just Win Baby:

Oh! Sweet Nuthin’ (1971), from Loaded - The Velvet Underground

simey:

Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston

scorchy:

Got Your Money – Ol’ Dirty ******* w/ Kelis

neal cassady:

Summertime - Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald

Uruk-Hai:

Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry

Yankee23Fan:

What About Us - Pink

Manster:

Mary Jane’s Last Dance - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

shuke:

Sometime Around Midnight - Airborne Toxic Event

rockaction:

Come Heroine - Touché Amoré

Mrs. Rannous:

Leaving on a Jet Plane - John Denver - (bonus with Cass Elliot)

New Binky the Doormat:

Reelin' In The Years - Steely Dan

Pip’s Invitation:

Everlong - Foo Fighters

Dr. Octopus:

Sample in a Jar – Phish

Val Rannous:

7 Nation Army - White Stripes

Chaz McNulty:

Africa – Toto

Don Quixote:

Crazy in Love - Beyonce (feat. Jay-Z)

Sullie:

jwb:

Summer Wind – Frank Sinatra

DrIanMalcolm:

What's Love Got to Do With It, Tina Turner

Hawks64:

Garden - Pearl Jam

MAC_32:

Colder Weather - Zac Brown Band

falguy:

American Pie - Don Mclean

simsarge:

Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin

worrierking:

September Gurls - Big Star

Eephus:

Give Me the Night - George Benson

Hov34:

Come Down - Anderson .Paak

ditkaburgers:

Shape Of My Heart - Backstreet Boys

AAABatteries:

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

landryshat:

Get It While You Can - Howard Tate

Zegras11:

We Got The Beat - The GoGo's

Ilov80s:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Oliver Humanzee:

Gulf Shores - Palace Music

The Dreaded Marco:

Divorce Song - Liz Phair

Doug B:

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

KarmaPolice:

Pristine - Snail Mail
Today's playlist

Sullie:

Hawks64:

Garden - Pearl Jam

Two album tracks I did not expect to see. I haven't listened to Rocks in forever, so I'm going to have to revisit the Aerosmith track.

You can't really go wrong with anything from Ten. Garden is a little more '70s hard rock/metal than Pearl Jam usually got, but it's still a pretty good example of what made their early material special.
It was between Garden and two others, obviously Garden won out, but there isn't a bad song on Ten. I wore out 2 cassettes and 1 CD of that album.

Today's known-to-me winners:

Reelin' in the Years -- Steely Dan (Binky)
Mary Jane's Last Dance -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Manster)
September Gurls -- Big Star (Worrierking)
Seven Nation Army -- The White Stripes (Val Rannous)
Oh! Sweet Nuthin' -- The Velvet Underground (Just Win Baby)
A Change Is Gonna Come -- Sam Cooke (Krista4)
Sample in a Jar -- Phish (Doc Oc)
Johnny B. Goode -- Chuck Berry (Uruk-Hai)
Don't Fear the Reaper -- Blue Oyster Cult (Doug B)

My son asked to hear the Beatles so I put Let It Be on.

George Harrison was buds with Tom Petty so I figured this thread is appropriate for that news. :laugh:
Now on to Sgt. Pepper.
A Day in the Life comes on:

"Is this another album?"
"No. It's the last song on this album."
"Why would they have another song after the reprise of the first song?"

MAC_32:

Colder Weather - Zac Brown Band

This is the Zac Brown song I expected to see. It is very much in the same mold as the early 70s singer-songwriter stuff that many people in our demographic love. The two songs of his that showed up earlier were a bit of a surprise to me.
My wife and I made a custom ballads play list sometime early covid. We no longer play it every week, but there was a run there when the five of us spent a large amount of time only seeing each other in this small house and Friday night chill zone became a thing. Mom and dad grab the drink of their choice, queue up the bluetooth, and the kids can stay up as late as they want...so long as they're chill anywhere near the chil zone.

It's got a couple hundred songs on it from a wide range of genres. It best encompasses the majority of my country music listening, so I had to choose something from it to include in this 31. In shocking news I spent more time than I care to admit hemming and hawing which one. While Remember When may be the best, Jolene an absolute classic, and Need You Now may be my actual favorite there's simply too much Zac Brown on it not to pick one of them. Wasn't easy picking this instead of Highway 20 Ride or Free, but if there's one track that I always turnup and not miss a word no matter how much our kids try to interrupt us it's this one.

Top Five Favorites of Round 31:

A Change is Gonna Come
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Reelin' in The Years
September Gurls
Leaving on a Jet Plane
Summer Wind
Sweet Caroline
(Don't Fear) The Reaper

I know that is more than five, but two are on my list, and another didn't want to leave the group, so I allowed it to stay.

I have liked all of the TP songs that have appeared.

Summertime is a repeat favorite

Favorite new to me song(s)

Sample in a Jar
Sunny Came Home
Sometime Around Midnight
Get it While You Can
Gulf Shores

A little easier for me today.

Known

Gold: September Gurls (worrierking)
Silver: We Got the Beat (zegras)
Bronze: Crazy in Love (Don Q)

Really tough to leave off Liz Phair/Divorce Song.

Unknown:

Gold: Come Heroine (rock)
Silver: Sometime Around Midnight (shuke)
Bronze: Get It White You Can (landry)

Uruk-Hai:

Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
In a way, Chuck kind of ruined rock-&-roll with this record.

Because of "Johnny B Goode", a huge swath of rock music became too guitar-dependent. To the point where it pretty much ignored everything else, though how you can ignore Laf Leake's rollicking piano on the recording and think "rock is guitar music" is beyond me. Yet that's what happened.

Also, Berry set the bar too high. How many times has some form of this song been rewritten? Not just literally - for generations, if you were in a band with a guitar you HAD to play this - but also the reigning myth of a kid with a dream and a guitar going to the big city to make it. This is the Fountainhead. In five songs ("Maybellene", "Roll Over Beethoven", "Sweet Little Sixteen", "Rock and Roll Music", and this one), Chuck had written Rock's Holy Bible. Nobody's gone past him. They're just throwing paint at his canvas.

But here we are and I'm as guilty as everyone else. I still get chills when I hear that opening guitar salvo.

"Are you interested in being my woman today?"

Yeah, that's a bit creepy. How'd you ever pass up on that opportunity, @simey ?
It wasn't hard. When he first walked up he mumbled something, but I don't know what he said, and I wondered if he was talking to himself or me. He was to the right of me. He then went behind me, and walked around to the left of me. That's when he stopped walking and said Hi. He was fidgety. I got weird vibes from him, and then his conversation took an unexpected turn. Thankfully, he walked away and went down the aisle. I would recognize him if I saw him again, which I hope doesn't happen.

It wasn't hard. When he first walked up he mumbled something, but I don't know what he said, and I wondered if he was talking to himself or me. He was to the right of me. He then went behind me, and walked around to the left of me. That's when he stopped walking and said Hi. He was fidgety. I got weird vibes from him, and then his conversation took an unexpected turn. Thankfully, he walked away and went down the aisle. I would recognize him if I saw him again, which I hope doesn't happen.
Store might have him on camera. May be worth mentioning to them next time you're in there.

"Are you interested in being my woman today?"

Yeah, that's a bit creepy. How'd you ever pass up on that opportunity, @simey ?

sorry simey ...it made me chuckle, but that's pretty creepy

Good and bad from the new record store today. Good: it's a lovely space with lovely owners. The selection is a little light because until now they were a mobile store (yes, a "food truck" but with records), so they're filling it out. We ended up with five albums since we don't need any ******* albums:

Choba B CCCP - Paul McCartney
Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The Byrds
I Am the Living - Jimmy Cliff
Creedence Clearwater Revival (self-titled)
Before the Flood - Bob Dylan & The Band

The bad: I got an email with my receipt and saw they charged 4% for use of a credit card. First of all, no signage or notice of this, and second, 4%?!

I like the drumming in Come Heroine.

A quick break from hanging ornaments with my family to talk about this. First, that's an awesome use of the Thumper Rule™, which as you might personally know is my music rule where if you can't say anything nice...don't say anything at all. Second, he is indeed noted for his steady backbeat for the hardcore/emo/screamo act that is Touché Amoré. He's noted as a very good drummer in that scene. They're all a bunch of multi-talented guys. One writes poetry, the other is getting an M.A. in fine arts or design (their merch looks awesome and he designs it, I think). "Come Heroine" is off the regular old album entitled Lament, but I have a limited edition coffee table book (that even came with a book of designed matches). Regardless, that was my COVID anxiety song, and my favorite new one of the past few years, actually. I've seen them live, and they do indeed sound like their records (lol).

Thanks for your time listening to it.

ANNOUNCE:

The interns I hired to cover the holiday postings were definitely not hardcore extreme enough and have been fired. They messed up Ilov80s list and posted two incorrect entries for him. falguy and Hawks64 have been alerted in order to update the playlists and spreadsheet, but in the meantime please note the following corrected entries:

Round 22:

September - Earth, Wind and Fire

Round 21:

Chicago - Sufjan Stevens

Update your cheatsheets accordingly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread