What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (3 Viewers)

ANNOUNCE:

The interns I hired to cover over the holiday were definitely not hardcore extreme enough and have been fired. They messed up Ilov80s list and posted two incorrect entries for him. falguy and Hawks64 have been alerted in order to update the playlists and spreadsheet, but in the meantime please note the following corrected entries:

Round 22:

September - Earth, Wind and Fire

Round 21:

Chicago - Sufjan Stevens

Update your cheatsheets accordingly.
It's hard to get good help these days. I had to let my entire QA spreadsheet team go just 1 day before Thanksgiving.

Finally listening to my Revolver box set that arrived about a month ago. Started with the new stereo remixes by Giles Martin. Some songs sound noticeably better, such as Eleanor Rigby. Even more fun is that we've heard some bits that I've literally never noticed in hundreds of listens. The harmonies on Yellow Submarine are super-noticeable, as is the piano in the opening bars of I Want to Tell You. There's also an evident...French horn? something hitting a low, foghorn-type note?...in Got to Get You into My Life. Doctor Robert, my least favorite track, sounds better to the point where I didn't want it to end.

Not everything is successful IMO. Both Taxman and I'm Only Sleeping have too much focus on the deep ends of the bass, to the point of being distracting. And Good Day Sunshine has a weird cut near the end that is jarring - I haven't decided if I like it or not. It's a lot of fun to listen to these reimaginings in any case. Each time something comes up that's noticeably different, OH and I jerk our heads around to each other like "did you hear that?"!?

Last edited:
Favorites today:

@Just Win Baby Oh! Sweet Nuthin’ (1971), from Loaded - The Velvet Underground - great album. Certain we'll hear more from it.

@simey Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston - Fantastic disco.

@shuke Sometime Around Midnight - Airborne Toxic Event - new to me. Really enjoy this and the way it kept building up

@Pip's Invitation Everlong - Foo Fighters - The band that keeps regular old rock alive.

@Dr. Octopus Sample in a Jar – Phish - kinda hate linking to a studio version of anything Phish. But this is one of the better ones.

@Val Rannous 7 Nation Army - White Stripes - new to me. Don't know a ton of White Stripes. I liked it a lot.

@simsarge Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin - this felt new to me at first but I do remember it now.

@worrierking September Gurls - Big Star - my favorite new one of the bunch today

@Eephus Give Me the Night - George Benson - always dug this tune.

@Zegras11 We Got The Beat - The GoGo's - such a great song.

@Doug B Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult Saw these guys like 10x or something, most recently about 5 years ago. I was kind of hoping they'd do a little cowbell tease on this one but it was not to be.

pretty sick today too. Covid / flu / upper respiratory / whatever. I'm vaxxed and boosted so hopefully it won't kill me but this is the pits. Outdoor Xmas decorations may have to wait a few days.

Last edited:
P!nk's , "What About Us," is one of the songs that I would say has almost perfect lyrics. Each phrase of her verses and the chorus are really remarkable questions, but the one that made me fall in love with the song is

We are problems that want to be solved

I think you could write thousands of pages of therapy, music, prayer and medical journals that tackle that phrase. It's one of the more haunting and beautiful lyrics I've ever heard. It challenges every part of me as a Christian, a father, a leader and a music writer.

If I can get to the end of my life and respond to that phrase in a way that tackles the idea it presents.....that's a good life.

My son asked to hear the Beatles so I put Let It Be on.

George Harrison was buds with Tom Petty so I figured this thread is appropriate for that news. :laugh:
Now on to Sgt. Pepper.
After that we moved to Rubber Soul. I think Revolver (and the White Album) might be a little much for him at this stage (he has ADHD and gets overwhelmed by "loud" music).

The songs he told me he recognized were Let It Be, Get Back, With a Little Help from My Friends and Drive My Car. I told him what Paul did with I've Got a Feeling on his tour this year and he thought that was really cool.

She appeared at Philly's Thanksgiving Day Parade yesterday and performed this. Also appearing were The Spinners and Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. I was not aware they still exist in some form.

Especially because Harold Melvin has been dead for 25 years
And Teddy Pendergrass has been dead for 12.

Wiki doesn't even show them as active, but that could be because no one has bothered to follow up on it.

The Spinners have never broken up and Henry Fambrough, a co-founder and a member during their peak years, still performs with the current version of the group.

And Teddy Pendergrass has been dead for 12.

Wiki doesn't even show them as active, but that could be because no one has bothered to follow up on it.

Apparently it was a tribute act called Harold Melvin's Blue Notes. A gentleman named Donnell "Big Daddy" Gillespie handles lead vocals.

I'm doing my listening party for the new-to-mes with OH this time (I'm on the #22s). I really should have made this a live blog. :lol:

Usually I skip the songs I already know, but he made me stop on Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) so he could karaoke it.

Both of us like the Nada Surf song, "Blonde on Blonde," best so far. I also loved the Asbury Jukes one, but he already knew it and deemed it a mint jam. When I started the Green Day song and told him it wasn't the Stray Cats, he still insisted on trying to sing the lyrics to "Stray Cat Strut" to it, but in a Billie Joe voice. 🎼 I don't bother chasing mice around!

Mercury Blues sounds like that session musician that was always better than everyone he played with and finally broke out on his own, acc. to OH. Said the guitar work was perfect.

OMG. OH mentioned a bunch of artists he figured the session musician had played with, based on his sound, including Warren Zevon. After the song was over, I looked up David Lindley, and saw he worked with Warren Zevon. MUCH FIST-PUMPING HAPPENING NOW. "I KNEW IT!"

pretty sick today too. Covid / flu / upper respiratory / whatever. I'm vaxxed and boosted so hopefully it won't kill me but this is the pits. Outdoor Xmas decorations may have to wait a few days.
I hope you feel better soon, jwb.

Reactions: jwb
Loved the Richard Hell song. OH of course already knew and loved it.

I didn't know Everlong by name but knew it once I heard it and think it's fantastic. OH considers it one of his two favorites from the Foos (My Hero is the other). He then went on an extended discourse about some text messages between Dave Grohl and Steve Albini that Steve shares in their group chat.

We both paused on ditkaburgers' song from HAIM feat. A$AP Ferg. Me, mostly because I was trying to figure out how to pronounce it all to tell him who the artist was. How does one say "A$AP"? OH mentioned how much he loved "that dubstep that goes [makes a ton of mouth noises]." Anyway, we both liked that one a ton.

I was going to skip "Strawberry Letter 23" since it is known to both of us, but he made me stop to listen because, "This song is so dope."

HOLY CRAP.

People, know your partners.

I knew that OH was in bands before we met. I even knew that one of his bands had opened for Drive-By Truckers, because every time their name arises, he tells me how much they could drink. Like, really really really drink.

But "Trailer Trash" by Modest Mouse came on, and I knew he didn't like Modest Mouse so figured it would be new to him. Instead, immediately he said, "Oh, Modest Mouse." Then I learned that when the band was on tour for this album, one of OH's bands opened for them. Who knew?

He then went on a bit of a rant about what jerks they were, topped with, "You know who was great? Jimmy Eat World." I guess his band had Jimmy Eat World (I just tried to abbreviate that, with unfortunate results) opening for them back when. I wondered if anyone had chosen them, and I saw ditkaburgers did. Eephus, tell her they're awesome people; according to OH really earnest and generous and nice.

Mercury Blues sounds like that session musician that was always better than everyone he played with and finally broke out on his own, acc. to OH. Said the guitar work was perfect.

OMG. OH mentioned a bunch of artists he figured the session musician had played with, based on his sound, including Warren Zevon. After the song was over, I looked up David Lindley, and saw he worked with Warren Zevon. MUCH FIST-PUMPING HAPPENING NOW. "I KNEW IT!"
Much to Uruk's chagrin, Lindley is best known for playing with Jackson Browne. That slide guitar that's all over Browne's '70s and early '80s hits is Lindley.

Much to Uruk's chagrin, Lindley is best known for playing with Jackson Browne. That slide guitar that's all over Browne's '70s and early '80s hits is Lindley.
Going by memory, Lindley is also singing lead falsetto during Browne’s “The Loadout/Stay”.

Oh, won’t you stay …
Just a little bit longer

Manster:

Mary Jane’s Last Dance - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
@Manster
Uruk-Hai:

Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
@Uruk-Hai
New Binky the Doormat:

Reelin' In The Years - Steely Dan
@New Binky the Doormat :hifive:
falguy:

American Pie - Don Mclean
@falguy
Doug B:

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
@Doug B

Favorite known songs from the 21's. Had 9 that I knew, 2 that I didn't know the name of. Sorry, didn't like the John Denver version of Leaving on a Jet Plane.

HOLY CRAP.

People, know your partners.

I knew that OH was in bands before we met. I even knew that one of his bands had opened for Drive-By Truckers, because every time their name arises, he tells me how much they could drink. Like, really really really drink.

But "Trailer Trash" by Modest Mouse came on, and I knew he didn't like Modest Mouse so figured it would be new to him. Instead, immediately he said, "Oh, Modest Mouse." Then I learned that when the band was on tour for this album, one of OH's bands opened for them. Who knew?

He then went on a bit of a rant about what jerks they were
This doesn’t surprise me. I’ve seen Modest Mouse several times. A couple were among the best live shows I’ve ever seen and a couple went off the rails. And it appeared to depend on how Isaac Brock was doing.

Regardless, their first four albums are great.

I realized when I submitted my list to you I named this song "Last Dance with Mary Jane" which is what I always kinda called it.

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not going to look up or correct stuff and will post what's submitted - couldn't care less about the distinction between TP solo or with the Heartbreakers, for instance - and will only correct a lot of typos (what's so hard, collectively, about "Mellencamp"?). But this was one where I thought, "That's not the name" only because I always think of the title the same way as you do! So I fixed it.

Last edited:
Not everything is successful IMO. Both Taxman and I'm Only Sleeping have too much focus on the deep ends of the bass, to the point of being distracting
Tidal has the album in its directory (I assume it is the same master as the box set). I am glad I am not the only one who had reservations about some of the tracks.

The 2009 remastered box set of the entire catalogue is the go-to listen for me. What has always stood out is the pristine vocals, in particular the background vocals. John and Paul on Taxman sound great, when they name check the Prime Minister and Finance Minister, you can feel their scorn and ridicule but in a way that is wonderfully melodic.

The new mix lowers those vocals, takes the melody out, and as you said, brings up the bass and drums. The guitars sound jangly, like a Byrds song. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but takes away from what made the song great.

It would be darn-near impossible to give any shout-outs today without leaving something completely worthy off the list, so I'll just say I'm enjoying the list today. I mean everything in chronology from Sam Cooke to Anderson .Paak sounds really, really good to me. Did I mention that most people sing along robustly to "American Pie," whereas I'm often a puddle by the end of the song if I'm drunk? Fun fact. Hopefully we never get to bear witness to that again. We'll just put that in the bank.

New-to-me is another story. Not too many of those, actually.

Snail Mail was very cool. So was the P!nk song "What About Us," even if that sort of piano riff is almost de rigueur in pop hits from that timeframe that long for David Guetta production. "Summer Wind" by Frank was nicely done (insert expert comment about "phrasing" here). Never heard of Gulf Shores, but liked it also. There is a Backstreet song that I haven't heard, but do I dare click or comment?

Not sure, ditkaburgers. Vexing.

Anything by Brian Wilson, who I believe is the 2nd greatest American composer of the 20th century aside from Gershwin. And I’m not alone in thinking this. So says Elton John, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Don Was, and most of the Wrecking Crew. If you get a moment, watch “A Long Promised Road” on Amazon Prime. If you love American music, and this thread, it’s a must see.

Eephus:

Give Me the Night - George Benson
Benson had a nice run of hits in the late 70s/early 80s.

I remember it being a big deal when Breezin' broke through and hit #1 on Billboard's album chart. Records by jazz artists just didn't do that in the mid-70s. The title cut - an instrumental - was a huge cross-genre radio hit (still heard in doctor's offices the world over) and his cover of Leon Russell's "This Masquerade" was even huger. He went on to write and record the original version of "The Greatest Love Of All" (good-sized hit for George and a massive hit for Whitney Houston).

"Give Me The Night" is a really good record. It's not "jazz", but more a straight pop-R&B song. It's got nice dynamics. While Benson's not the most distinctive singer ever, he has a fine voice and writes songs that play to his strengths. He had a couple more pop hits after this one, then went back to more traditional jazzy stuff.

Lindley's the best part of those records :wink:

I rag on Jackson a lot here, but I really don't mind him and actually like some of his songs. The problem is that the best part of what he does is his lyric writing, and I'm not a lyric guy. If the rest of the performance doesn't grab me, it's hard for me to get invested in whatever allegory he's selling. He's just not a good enough singer and player to make it stick. Far too many of his records are (outside of Lindley's contributions) boring as hell to me. BUT, they are all at least "pleasant" - unlike those from a certain gent from Long Island who shall not be named.

Anything by Brian Wilson, who I believe is the 2nd greatest American composer of the 20th century aside from Gershwin. And I’m not alone in thinking this. So says Elton John, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Don Was, and most of the Wrecking Crew. If you get a moment, watch “A Long Promised Road” on Amazon Prime. If you love American music, and this thread, it’s a must see.
@ekbeats - good to see you, gb! Hope all is well this you.

Favorite new-to-me from the #21s:

Chicago -- Sufjan Stevens (Ilov80s). Another that is embarassing to say I've never heard before. I knew all about Stevens and the hype for him, but I never got around to checking him out, and didn't have anyone in my circle of friends who was pushing me to. This is like having a bonus Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys song on the countdown.
Get It While You Can -- Howard Tate (Landryshat). I know the song but not this version. It's just as good as Janis' version and a little more restrained.
Gulf Shores -- Palace Music (OH). More alt-country goodness.
Pristine -- Snail Mail (KarmaPolice). Funny that we also had Liz Phair today, because this sounds like Liz Phair to me.

Some great picks here that should not be ignored:

Just Win Baby: Oh! Sweet Nuthin’ (1971), from Loaded - The Velvet Underground
Dr. Octopus: Sample in a Jar – Phish
simsarge: Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin
KarmaPolice: Pristine - Snail Mail
Pristine got talked about and drafted a bit in some music drafts by me. I pimped that one and another farther up my list quite a bit. That was the song I wanted to squeak into this project, as I thought it might be new for a couple people in here. On a different night it would be much higher up, but I guess I was in a different mood when I submitted the list.

Favorite new-to-me from the #21s:

Chicago -- Sufjan Stevens (Ilov80s). Another that is embarassing to say I've never heard before. I knew all about Stevens and the hype for him, but I never got around to checking him out, and didn't have anyone in my circle of friends who was pushing me to. This is like having a bonus Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys song on the countdown.
Get It While You Can -- Howard Tate (Landryshat). I know the song but not this version. It's just as good as Janis' version and a little more restrained.
Gulf Shores -- Palace Music (OH). More alt-country goodness.
Pristine -- Snail Mail (KarmaPolice). Funny that we also had Liz Phair today, because this sounds like Liz Phair to me.
Good call. After you posted this, I just replayed the Phair song from the list and it's embarrassing I didn't put that together before then.

7 Nation Army - White Stripes - new to me. Don't know a ton of White Stripes. I liked it a lot.
How is it even possible that this is new to you? Do you not watch Baltimore games? It has become a sports anthem. Several other locales have audiences that do this songs baseline too.

The early 2000's I was newly married, first house, started a business while also going to school as an adult, etc - I basically checked out of music so I did miss a lot. I never got familiar with Jack White / The White Stripes catalog. These drafts/threads are good for that.

Fill my eyes with that Double Vision! (Foreigner is ineligible, so not spotlighting) I’m only putting in doubles (at the same spot) once, so 33 songs this time!

#23s:
Recognized by title alone: 16
Sounded familiar: 2
Didn't know: 15

Selected Favorites:
Take Me With U (simey)
You Keep Me Hangin’ On (Binky)
Hard to Handle (MAC_32)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Backstabbers (Uruk-Hai)
Winner and Losers (worrierking)
Bar Ice (Oliver Humanzee)