What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (3 Viewers)

I looked at my list and it's dominated by people who are not good singers. My top 4 songs are all by artists with unquestionably sub-par singers. I think Sam and Dave, Robert Cray and Alex Chilton are the only really good singers on my list with a few other decent singers.

Edit: I started working on my British list and I now see it too is dominated by bad singers. This is a trend.

I find this interesting. I made a comment during one of the music threads that I don't listen as closely to lyrics as most apparently do. If you go basic with a song and say it's made up of lyrics, instrumentals and singing, I rank the order of those 3 as singing > instrumentals > lyrics. For example, that Mack the Knife rendition by Ella - I didn't care that the lyrics were goofy and all over the place - for some it made it charming but even if I didn't for me, I probably wouldn't care. That's not why I personally listen to music most of the time. However, having said that - most of my favorite songs have the combination of all 3. I think that is why I love Simon and Garfunkel so much. I find the singing and instrumentals fantastic and then the lyrics are smart and thought provoking. There's several examples in this thread of folks I don't care for, like Dylan, because I can't get past the signing.

I'm kind of 50-50 on lyrics. I don't mind a good story, and I like a clever line or wordplay (the Ella song is awesome to me for that), but I definitely don't attach much meaning to the lyrics beyond "it's a song / story / etc" - like I don't really care about the deeper meaning of something or relate lyrics to my life, relationships, etc. But that's what great about music - to some people the lyrics have a special meaning and really touch them. For others it's the bassline and that drum fill that comes in every 12 seconds.
Charity Contest Info and Standings, Top 4

Big shift in the lead today after the list dropped the Stevie hammer!

Everyone's selections:

Val Rannous - Song: Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Mrs. Rannous - Song: Rock and Roll High School, The Ramones. Artist: Bob Dylan.
Uruk-Hai - Song: Purple Rain, Prince. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Neal Cassady - Song: Let's Stay Together, Al Green. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
Chaz McNulty - Song: Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Dr. Octopus - Song: Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Falguy - Song: Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen. Artist: Tom Petty.
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
Ilove80s - Song: Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys. Artist: Tom Petty.
jwb - Song: Hotel California, The Eagles. Artist: The Allman Brothers Band.
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Just Win Baby - Song: What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)
AAABatteries - Song: Respect - Aretha Franklin. Artist: Stevie Wonder.

Songs that scored 28 points for today's selections:

Let's Stay Together, Al Green
What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong

Artists that scored 28 points for today's selections:

Stevie Wonder (x4)
Prince (x2)
Bob Dylan

Total Scores as of Today:

Neal Cassady 426
Pip's Invitation 418
AAABatteries 402
Don Quixote 379
DrianMalcom 379
Hov34 379
Uruk-Hai 366
Just Win Baby 351
Dr. Octopus 344
New Binky the Doormat 339
The Dreaded Marco 330
Falguy 306
Ilov80s 279
Mrs. Rannous 250
Val Rannous 236
Chaz McNulty 209
jwb 129

my score took a beating today ...

Mine hasn't moved in days... me and my Allmans outlier pick. Plus I picked a song that wasn't even on my list - maybe I shouldn't have done this part post-six pack?

Everyone's selections:

Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)

Stevie Wonder (x4)
Prince (x2)
Bob Dylan

Neal Cassady 426
Pip's Invitation 418
AAABatteries 402
Don Quixote 379
DrianMalcom 379
Hov34 379
Uruk-Hai 366
Just Win Baby 351
Dr. Octopus 344
The Dreaded Marco 330
Falguy 306
Ilov80s 279
Mrs. Rannous 250
Val Rannous 236
Chaz McNulty 209
jwb 129

Mine hasn't moved in days. Me and my Allmans outlier pick. And I didn;t even pick a song from my list. Maybe I shouldn't have done this part post six-pack?

ETA - well I fouled this all up. I didn't mean to include the lyrics part in the first post but forgot it was there... so I tried to delete then post again and... whatever. :)

Everyone's selections:

Stevie Wonder (x4)
Prince (x2)
Bob Dylan

Neal Cassady 426
Pip's Invitation 418
AAABatteries 402
Don Quixote 379
DrianMalcom 379
Hov34 379
Uruk-Hai 366
Just Win Baby 351
Dr. Octopus 344
The Dreaded Marco 330
Falguy 306
Ilov80s 279
Mrs. Rannous 250
Val Rannous 236
Chaz McNulty 209
jwb 129

Mine hasn't moved in days. Me and my Allmans outlier pick. And I didn;t even pick a song from my list. Maybe I shouldn't have done this part post six-pack?

ETA - well I fouled this all up. I didn't mean to include the lyrics part in the first post but forgot it was there... so I tried to delete then post again and... whatever. :)
Did you get into KP’s stash? :laugh:

Everyone's selections:

Stevie Wonder (x4)
Prince (x2)
Bob Dylan

Neal Cassady 426
Pip's Invitation 418
AAABatteries 402
Don Quixote 379
DrianMalcom 379
Hov34 379
Uruk-Hai 366
Just Win Baby 351
Dr. Octopus 344
The Dreaded Marco 330
Falguy 306
Ilov80s 279
Mrs. Rannous 250
Val Rannous 236
Chaz McNulty 209
jwb 129

Did you get into KP’s stash? :laugh:

Not tonight but this is a definite baked move.

Some favorites from round #4 not including previous favorites:

Both Prince Songs
The Funeral
Lungs
We're the Same
I'll Be Around
The Last Resort
Decoration Day
Don't Worry Baby
Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
Cool Jerk
Don't Stop Believin' - This song/album reminds me of the Columbia Record Club deals we used to order from back in the late 70s and early 80s. We would get our albums from there or Peaches Records and Tapes.

Favorite new to me songs:

Walt Graces Submarine Test, Jan 67
Troubled Times
Friend of a Friend

Woo-boy! The competition is getting fierce!

Tomorrow we have a double-up from one of our known top 10 artists.

We also have a triple-up from one of our known top 10 artists, and a triple-up from another artist. In each case, the triple-up also contains a Deja Vote.

Not to be outdone, another of our known top 10 artists has a Menage FaLaLa Trois, a term I've just coined to represent three selections of the same song in one round! Lest you believe this means that surely that song and/or artist will win as favorite, I'll leak the news that we will have at least one more Menage FaLaLa Trois before we're done.

In the "one-hit wonder" sweepstakes, each of our current top three artists* battling for the honor will receive at least one more vote in the final three rounds, including tomorrow, so this remains wide open.

*Rev. Al Green, Cheap Trick, and Don McLean.

New to me: Prince – Fury. It’s as sacrilege as criticizing Dylan’s vocals, but Prince is a lot more miss than hit with me. Not this one though. That was a whole helluva lotta fun. Could envision him ripping up the stage with that track.
Random comment: thanks for the Cool Jerk add – The Capitols were missing from the shuffle.
Bronze: Al Green - Let’s Stay Together. I almost bumped him for a 5th time, but Stevie’s got enough medals. Doesn’t feel right snubbing Sir Duke, but this is my medal stand dammit.
Silver: Foo Fighters - Friend of a Friend, as I mentioned before this is by far my favorite Foo's album, but I couldn't justify a single track for this 31. Gotta hand out a medal though.
Gold: TLC – Creep. 90’s R&B is generally not my thing, but this is one very big exception.

Woo-boy! The competition is getting fierce!

Tomorrow we have a double-up from one of our known top 10 artists.

We also have a triple-up from one of our known top 10 artists, and a triple-up from another artist. In each case, the triple-up also contains a Deja Vote.

Not to be outdone, another of our known top 10 artists has a Menage FaLaLa Trois, a term I've just coined to represent three selections of the same song in one round! Lest you believe this means that surely that song and/or artist will win as favorite, I'll leak the news that we will have at least one more Menage FaLaLa Trois before we're done.

ONE OF THESE BETTER BE THE ALLMANS!!

Some new to me favorites today (I've been lax on song commenting lately - work has been busy).

@shuke The Funeral - Band of Horses
@New Binky the Doormat - Fury - Prince (I really liked this)
@worrierking - Decoration Day - Drive-by Truckers

Of the ones I know (and I prettymuch liked them all), some standouts:

@krista4 Living For The City - Stevie Wonder (I love the slow driving pace of this song)
@Pip's Invitation Let's Stay Together - Al Green (we've heard this a bunch already but it never gets old)
@simey and @Uruk-Hai - Both Ray Charles "Mind" songs
@ditkaburgers - We're the Same - Matthew Sweet
@AAABatteries - What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
@Yankee23Fan - Jack & Diane - John Mellencamp

Last edited:
I haven't gotten to comment too much about the lists lately, but the two Beach Boys songs by Dr. Octopus and ilov80s are right as rain.

Don't Worry, Baby would not have been something I expected to see in the top four, but it is meritorious, IMO.

Good stuff today. And I wanted to compliment MAC_32 on something, but I forget what it was. Darn it. I think it was the Sturgill Simpson track or his and Pip's commentary about it that will get me to listen to it. It's bookmarked.

And, oh my God, my friend will be thrilled about "Jack And Diane" making the list.

Oh let it rock
Let it roll
Let the Bible Belt come and save my soul
Holding on to sixteen as long as you can
Changes come around real soon make you
Women and men

shuke: The Funeral - Band of Horses
(new song)

I don't know what it is about this song, but it makes me feel such a range of emotions, in a way I can't describe. Introspection, sadness, wonder, rage, exhilaration.

I've seen Band of Horses a handful of times, and this may be the greatest songs I've ever seen live, by any artist.

If you started this and skipped, I hoped you waited until at least the 1:30 mark. And at 4:30, hold on.

Today's new-to-me gems are Townes Van Zandt's "Lungs" and shuke's aforementioned song, which I thought was excellent. Townes Van Zandt sounds like he has that plaintive blues country/soul wail down into the night, while Band of Horses get a lot more sonic than I'd imagined.

Favorite new-to-me songs from #4:

Fury -- Prince (Binky). To clarify, the STUDIO version of this is new to me. I saw Prince perform this on SNL and was all :jawdrop:. But I never came across or sought out the studio version. Which is almost as furied as the SNL version.
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind -- Ray Charles (Simey). This came well after his peak and I hadn't encountered it before. His vocal is fantastic.
Decoration Day -- Drive-by Truckers (Worrierking). I like this one best of the Truckers' selections so far. Great lyrics and guitar coda.
Lungs -- Townes Van Zandt (OH). His reputation as a songwriter exceeds his reputation as a performer, but his vocal on this is damn evocative.

With respect to yesterday's already-known songs, my special shout-out goes to Martha and the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street." Pure joy, and happy to see that on the countdown.

There weren't a ton of new-to-me songs, but, like most it seems, I enjoyed the Sun Kil Moon song a lot. My big "WOW" song of the day, though, was the John Lee Hooker one. Yeah...WOW.

Since this post came on the heals of several posts about the Grateful Dead, it might interest people to know that the Dead periodically covered "Dancing in the Street." I always thought it was one of their stranger covers, but their are some sick versions of it out there.
They actually recorded it as well on their Terrapin Station album.

Last edited:
With respect to yesterday's already-known songs, my special shout-out goes to Martha and the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street." Pure joy, and happy to see that on the countdown.

There weren't a ton of new-to-me songs, but, like most it seems, I enjoyed the Sun Kil Moon song a lot. My big "WOW" song of the day, though, was the John Lee Hooker one. Yeah...WOW.

Since this post came on the heals of several posts about the Grateful Dead, it might interest people to know that the Dead periodically covered "Dancing in the Street." I always thought it was one of their stranger covers, but their are some sick versions of it out there.
They actually recorded it as well on their Shakedown Street album.

Thanks, I actually didn't know that. I don't think I ever bought any of their studio albums aside from American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, though I do have a bunch more of their studio tracks I downloaded here and there. I probably should make it a project to go through their entire catalog.

They actually recorded it as well on their Shakedown Street album.

Thanks, I actually didn't know that. I don't think I ever bought any of their studio albums aside from American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, though I do have a bunch more of their studio tracks I downloaded here and there. I probably should make it a project to go through their entire catalog.

I edited my post because it’s on their Terrapin Station album. Their cover of Good Lovin is on Shakedown.

My top 7 from round 4 excluding my own choice:
For my taste, this is surprisingly one of the weakest rounds in a while.

Just Win Baby:

Friend of a Friend (2005), from In Your Honor - Foo Fighters
(new song)
I'll circle back around to the play list after Hawks gets it up this afternoon, but in the meantime I'm gonna cover-to-cover In Your Honor. While my Foo Fighters selection stemmed from elsewhere this double album is by far my favorite of theirs and unlike most double albums there aren't skips.

Agree on all counts. Amazing album and also my favorite of theirs. While I enjoy all of the songs on the electric side, the acoustic side is magic for me.

This is another all-time top 5 artist for me.

In new-to-me song news, I loved "Friend of a Friend" by Foo Fighters. Was listening and had no idea how it could be, and was surprised when I looked it up
I STRONGLY recommend listening to side 2 of In Your Honor. It's a version of Foo Fighters most are unfamiliar with and it's spectacular.

:goodposting:

If it was an album unto itself, it would be top 5 all time for me for sure.

Am I becoming a Deadhead?!?!
It seems you're heading in that direction. I'll see that you get a welcoming kit of weed, patchouli oil, and nitrous balloons for Christmas. 🎈
Nitrous balloons? Is that like the fancy version of whip-hits?
That what whip-its are, balloons filled with nitrous gas.
I thought whip-hits were hittin the whip cream can.....I guess it's all pretty much the same thing.....killin brain cells

It seems you're heading in that direction. I'll see that you get a welcoming kit of weed, patchouli oil, and nitrous balloons for Christmas. 🎈
I thought whip-hits were hittin the whip cream can.....I guess it's all pretty much the same thing.....killin brain cells
That's when a problem comes along.

that's the "poor mans" version.

Ha! Yea thats pretty much what I was getting at originally. I grew up out in the sticks where people huffed gas, paint, whip-hits(whip cream).....I think nitrous balloons were a lil too bougie

Ha! Yea thats pretty much what I was getting at originally. I grew up out in the sticks where people huffed gas, paint, whip-hits(whip cream).....I think nitrous balloons were a lil too bougie
The balloons were usually pretty cheap at concert venue parking lots.

Number 3:

krista4:

I’ve Been Loving You Too Long – Otis Redding
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Little Red Corvette (1983), from 1999 - Prince
(duplicate – second AND third votes today!)

simey:

Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan (simey note: it was between this and Tangled Up in Blue. I chose this one since I have a lot of mellow yellow on the list.
(duplicate – second vote)

scorchy:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night – Nirvana

neal cassady:

A Love Supreme, Pt 1-Acknowledgement - John Coltrane
(new song)

Uruk-Hai:

One Nation Under A Groove - Funkadelic

Yankee23Fan:

Thunder Road – Bruce Springsteen
(duplicate – third vote)

Manster:

Persecutor – Floater
(new song)

shuke:

Circuital - My Morning Jacket
(new song)

rockaction:

Bye Bye Love - Everly Brothers
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Spoonman - Soundgarden

New Binky the Doormat:

Whipping Post – The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

Superstition - Stevie Wonder
(duplicate – fourth, fifth AND sixth votes today!)

Dr. Octopus:

Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone – The Temptations

Val Rannous:

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce

Chaz McNulty:

God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
(duplicate – fourth AND fifth votes today!)

Don Quixote:

Visions of Johanna - Bob Dylan
(duplicate – third vote)

Sullie:

Flying in a Blue Dream - Joe Satriani
(new artist)

jwb:

Superstition – Stevie Wonder
(duplicate – fifth vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

Superstition, Stevie Wonder
(duplicate – sixth vote)

Hawks64:

Colors - Black Pumas
(new song)

MAC_32:

Turn the Page - Bob Seger

falguy:

Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
(new song)

simsarge:

Goodnight - Melissa Etheridge
(new artist)

worrierking:

Wake Up Time - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(new song)

Eephus:

Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys
(duplicate – third vote)

Hov34:

Take Me with U – Prince

ditkaburgers:

Little Red Corvette - Prince
(duplicate – third vote)

AAABatteries:

Bring It On Home to Me - Sam Cooke

landryshat:

Oh! Sweet Nuthin' - The Velvet Underground
(duplicate – third vote)

Zegras11:

25 or 6 to 4 – Chicago

Ilov80s:

Stand By Me - Ben E. King

Oliver Humanzee:

Surrender - Cheap Trick
(duplicate – fifth vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

God Only Knows - The Beach Boys
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Doug B:

Sweetheart - Franke and the Knockouts
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

10am Automatic - The Black Keys
(new song)

Last edited:
Double-Up:

Bob Dylan – Like a Rolling Stone and Visions of Johanna

Triple-Up:

Prince – Take Me With U and Little Red Corvette (2)

The Beach Boys – Wouldn’t It Be Nice and God Only Knows (2)

Deja Votes:

Little Red Corvette - Prince

God Only Knows – The Beach Boys

Menage FaLaLa Trois:

Superstition – Stevie Wonder

“One-Hit Wonder” – Cheap Trick re-takes the lead

Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
(new song)

I'll stan for this song a bit. It's very much overplayed, but unlike dreck like Cheeseburger in Paradise, this song's lament is one that's very real. In some ways, it's a bit of a precursor to Brilliant Disguise because of the way the lyrics evolve from the first verse ("It's nobody's fault") to the second ("Hell, it could be my fault"), to the final ("It's my own damn fault"). It's a song that ends up at a lot of parties, but it's really melancholy as all hell. I'm a fan.

shuke:

Circuital - My Morning Jacket
(new artist)
I'm surprised this is the first time MMJ has appeared - seems to have a fairly big following in the FFA, and deservedly so.
Doug B:

Sweetheart - Franke and the Knockouts
(new artist)
Only @Doug B would pick this, and I mean that as a sincere compliment. Also forgot to mention the same regarding Zebra at the beginning of this.

Meanwhile, I'm sure this crowd could talk about Superstition from now until the end of this thread. There's a reason it's gotten 6 votes, and a reason it appears at #3 for several of us all at once.

Pip’s Invitation:

Superstition - Stevie Wonder
(duplicate – fourth, fifth AND sixth votes today!)

This is one of the funkiest AND hardest-rocking songs ever released, and it is no surprise that many people in this group love it. It has always held a special place in my heart not only for that, but also because one of my very first memories is seeing Stevie perform this on Sesame Street. I asked my mom why Stevie was wearing dark glasses and moving his head unusually, and that's when I learned what blindness was.

Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE. The guitarist to our right (Stevie's left) is Michael Sembello, later of "Maniac" fame. Stevie JAMMED THIS THE HELL OUT on a CHILDREN's show. He didn't have to do that. What a performer.

The versions by Jeff Beck (whom Stevie was going to give the song to outright until his management intervened) and Stevie Ray Vaughn are top-notch as well.

I knew I was going to double up with @DrIanMalcolm but I had no idea that @jwb would make it a threepeat. :hifive::hifive:all around!

Users who are viewing this thread