What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

This Seahawks-49ers game is the one I would have been at if Ticketmaster hadn't decided unilaterally, inexplicably, and without warning to cancel my account. I'm kinda glad now (since I eventually got my money back), as I think it will be a shellacking in the wrong direction (which I did think when I bought the tickets but didn't think the game would matter at this point). Plus, I wouldn't be able to spend my evening putting together tomorrow's posts. :lol:

Last edited:
This Seahawks-49ers game is the one I would have been at if Ticketmaster hadn't decided unilaterally, inexplicably, and without warning to cancel my account. I'm kinda glad now (since I eventually got my money back), as I think it will be a shellacking in the wrong direction (which I did think when I bought the tickets anyway). Plus, I wouldn't be able to spend my evening putting together tomorrow's posts. :lol:

Priorities straight

All right, here we go. On this contest, the most oft-guessed artist was R.E.M., garnering 2/3 of the votes! Will that confidence be rewarded?

This is going to be a little spoiler for the "top artist" discussion I posted earlier, but the answer to this question from last night is...no. As you'll see below, R.E.M. will drop from #10 in current rankings to #12 after the #1 votes are tabulated. We know that The Allman Brothers Band will leapfrog over them, since they're in the top 10. We'll see tomorrow which other artist did.

The update for the "last four in" contest, posting each participant's two lowest-ranked artists, is as follows:

Contestant 1:

Billy Joel – TIE for 54th
Eagles - 30th

Contestant 2:

Beastie Boys - 69th
R.E.M. - 12th

Contestant 3:

The White Stripes - 23rd
R.E.M. - 12th

Contestant 4:

Chuck Berry - 135th
The Doors - TIE for 38th

Contestant 5:

The White Stripes – 23rd
Pearl Jam - TIE for 19th

Contestant 6:

Steely Dan – TIE for 44th
The Doors - TIE for 38th

Contestant 7:

Supremes – TIE for 61st
Pearl Jam - TIE for 19th

Contestant 8:

Steely Dan - TIE for 44th
Aerosmith - 42nd

Contestant 9:

Pearl Jam – TIE for 19th
R.E.M. - 12th

Contestant 10:

Boston – 25th
R.E.M. - 12th

Contestant 11:

Boston – 25th
Warren Zevon - TIE 19th

Contestant 12:

Eminem – 60th
Aerosmith - 42nd

Contestant 13:

Meatloaf – 124th
Earth, Wind and Fire – TIE 57th

Last edited:
New-to-me songs today! "Memorial" was very good, and I'm happy I stuck with "Constellations" as it turned out to be great as well. I like Pearl Jam a lot, but Eddie's vocals are a bug not a feature for me, so I wasn't too into "Constellations" at first. I didn't think I knew the Nazz song, but I did and give it a big thumbs-up, too. My favorite today, though, was "Wildflowers." I'm agnostic on Tom Petty for the most part, but this one was very special. His vocal was particularly good, too. I forgot to mention, there was also a Petty in the #3s that I felt similarly about, but then got turned off by a little spoken word bit. That one was still enjoyable, in any case.

I forgot to mention, there was also a Petty in the #3s that I felt similarly about, but then got turned off by a little spoken word bit. That one was still enjoyable, in any case.
That one (Wake Up Time) is on the same album (Wildflowers) as Wildflowers. The latter opens it and the former closes it. It's pretty great all the way through.

@KarmaPolice @krista4

My Morning Jacket tutorial:

Their sound has evolved quite a bit over their career, so different albums/tracks are going to be in different people's sweet spots.

Some of my favorites:

At Dawn, second album. Predominantly folk-rock/alt-country vibe, with lots of reverb and an ethereal feel thanks to Jim James recording his vocals in a grain silo. But there are some rocking tunes mixed in.
My favorites: title track, The Way That He Sings, I Needed It Most, Phone Went West
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6rBoR8YN4VvCfCSadNqdiX?si=EajIP_wTSdCOjx3-yeAgJw

It Still Moves, third album and my favorite. Its a monstrous guitar record that draws from Neil Young, Southern rock and other sources. But also has Golden, arguably their best country-influenced song.
My favorites: Golden, One Big Holiday (my pick in this countdown), Run Thru (reminds me of Cortez the Killer), Steam Engine
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/5vCqxfNSqatehjPustNq4s?si=__TtlGZKSG6idZOORDnpUg

Z, fourth album and their commercial breakthrough. Takes the raw material of the It Still Moves sound, tightens it up, polishes it and adds more hooks.
My favorites: Off the Record, Anytime, Lay Low, Dondante
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1UgdV58y1OX2oiTBbTFvlh

The Waterfall, seventh album. Takes the hooks of Z and adds warm, layered production, sounding Beatlesque in spots. Some songs come off like McCartney-ish mini-suites.
My favorites: Compound Fracture, In Its Infancy (The Waterfall), Tropics (Erase Traces), Only Memories Remain
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/42Je16rAv5ZaPTP5MY4y4V?si=kWXpBpggTzeqox6DBo0bGA

Other favorite tracks:

I'm Amazed: https://open.spotify.com/track/3wXEUULHykJRKdpqano51m?si=b1247b24aac7409a

Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Part 2: https://open.spotify.com/track/5x4Tv2PICzkwkixYuSmbYX?si=482c2440a7b34178

The Day Is Coming: https://open.spotify.com/track/4QxCjvie3Dw4qci61nTYzh?si=ac9694ccccdc47b3

Wasted: https://open.spotify.com/track/3Gm0Rv6kDwCxsgIZbDrAam?si=66573f1cc72e457d

New-to-me favorites from #2:

Inca Roads -- Frank Zappa (Neal Cassady). As I said, Zappa's catalog is so vast that it's impossible to keep track of it all unless you are slavishly devoted to his music (and I know people who are.) So I never came across this one before. It's a fantastic junction of prog and jazz/rock fusion. With some insane playing on the vibes, presumably by Ruth Underwood.
Whitewater -- Kyuss (Manster). I never bothered to check them out because I had so much else going on music-interest-wise in the early '90s. This is pretty epic.
Memorial -- Explosions in the Sky (Rockaction). Mental music that never gets boring.
Selfless, Cold and Composed -- Ben Folds Five (Hov34). I got exposed to their first album and I remember when "Brick" was on the radio, but I wasn't paying attention to them much otherwise, which is too bad because there really is a lot of Todd Rundgren in Folds' songwriting approach, as evidenced here.
Holy Ghost -- The Bar-Kays (Doug B). Bumpin'!

Spreadsheet now updated to include today's picks.

Top 5 1-hit wonders (unofficial)

Song TitleArtistPoints
SurrenderCheap Trick118
Let's Stay TogetherRev. Al Green104
American PieDon Mclean84
25 or 6 to 4Chicago50
Cat's in the CradleHarry Chapin49

Be funny if someone has I Want You To Want Me, or some other Cheap Trick tune as their #1.

:whistle:

I'm going to mess something up, I just won't say what/who.

Charity Contest Info and Standings, Top 2

With a new leader (due to tiebreak!)

Everyone's selections:

Val Rannous - Song: Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Mrs. Rannous - Song: Rock and Roll High School, The Ramones. Artist: Bob Dylan.
Uruk-Hai - Song: Purple Rain, Prince. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Neal Cassady - Song: Let's Stay Together, Al Green. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
Chaz McNulty - Song: Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Dr. Octopus - Song: Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Falguy - Song: Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen. Artist: Tom Petty.
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
Ilove80s - Song: Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys. Artist: Tom Petty.
jwb - Song: Hotel California, The Eagles. Artist: The Allman Brothers Band.
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Just Win Baby - Song: What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)
AAABatteries - Song: Respect - Aretha Franklin. Artist: Stevie Wonder.

Songs that scored 30 points for today's selections:

Hotel California, The Eagles
Superstition, Stevie Wonder

Artists that scored 30 points for today's selections:

Tom Petty
Bob Dylan (x2)
Stevie Wonder

Total Scores as of Today:

Don Quixote 613.6 (119)
Hov34 613.3 (96)
DrianMalcom 613 (58)
Neal Cassady 543
Pip's Invitation 535
AAABatteries 519
Uruk-Hai 483
Dr. Octopus 461
The Dreaded Marco 417
Just Win Baby 410
New Binky the Doormat 398
Mrs. Rannous 368
Falguy 365
Ilov80s 338
Val Rannous 294
Chaz McNulty 238
jwb 188

@KarmaPolice Some live Phish recommendations:

11/22/97, Hampton, VA (officially released as as part of the Hampton/Winston-Salem '97 box set). Arguably the best show of what is certainly their best tour, fall 1997. Lots of jamming, funky in spots, but never loses energy. Notable because it starts with two songs, the Mike's Groove suite and Harry Hood, that are usually reserved for second-set exploratory jamming.

12/29/94, Providence, RI (officially released as Live Phish 20). A great example of their rocking side -- set 2 closes with a Zeppelinfest -- that also features a 34-minute version of their song called David Bowie (lyrics: David Bowie, David Bowie, David Bowie, David Bowie, UB40, UB40, UB40, UB40) that experiments with digital delay loops and stuff like that.

6/14/00, Cho-ku, Fukuoka, Japan (officially released as Live Phish 04). This sounds like no other show I've heard from them. It's a whirlwind of hazy experimentation. One review calls it "hypnotic and magical," which is as good a description as any.

Last edited:
First off, since I just had this thought today and actually remember it, I am going to post a mild challenge to @Pip's Invitation and/or @shuke :

There's been some chatter about jam bands. I feel like I could get into either Phish or the Dead if I gave it an honest shot. When I hear songs, especially live, I don't mind it at all, but when bands like that are very show driven, it's a bit intimidating to try to dive in. How about l one or both of you give me 2-3 shows to listen to that are on spotify or easily available that I could pop on in the next few days, please?

A lot of fans of these bands can rattle off a long list of favorite shows by date. I'm not one of them. I just listen to whatever. But I'll give you a few suggestions.

Dead: 5/8/77. This is considered the quintessential "best show ever". While it's a great show, I think a big reason it got that reputation is because a high quality version of the bootleg was so readily available, and everybody had it in their collection. When I first started tape trading, an older head got me started and dubbed a number of shows for me. Including the trio of 5/7/77, 5/8/77, and 5/9/77. 5/8 also has the famous "take a step back" between songs. One interesting note about this show is that it doesn't have the typical drums>space segment in the second set that really was a staple of every single one of their shows. Because of this fact, and its popularity, there is a theory among some fans that this show didn't actually happen, and that anyone who claims to have been there was dosed with large amounts of LSD by the CIA in some type of social experiment.

As for Phish, you really can't go wrong with anything from 95-98. Fall 97 tour is considered one of their best tours. However, I'd recommend listening to something more recently also. The catalog has expanded, and while they are not as young and don't play as fast as they used to, there is a sense of more respect for the music that comes from maturity, if that makes sense.

Just download the Relisten app. Plenty of live shows on there to listen for free.

Pip: I may have asked you this in another thread but do you have any opinion about Goose?

I was doing my periodic scan of upcoming shows at local venues and I seem to have heard of even fewer acts than ever. I try to stay current but I swear they're just setting up Potemkin village band names to mess with me. Anyway, Goose is playing two theater shows down the street in April. I've listened to a couple of their studio albums and was intrigued but not blown away. I've seem them lumped in with jam bands presumably because they stretch out their live act.

ETA: open question for any jam aficionados

New-to-me favorites from #2:

Inca Roads -- Frank Zappa (Neal Cassady). As I said, Zappa's catalog is so vast that it's impossible to keep track of it all unless you are slavishly devoted to his music (and I know people who are.) So I never came across this one before. It's a fantastic junction of prog and jazz/rock fusion. With some insane playing on the vibes, presumably by Ruth Underwood.
Whitewater -- Kyuss (Manster). I never bothered to check them out because I had so much else going on music-interest-wise in the early '90s. This is pretty epic.
Memorial -- Explosions in the Sky (Rockaction). Mental music that never gets boring.
Selfless, Cold and Composed -- Ben Folds Five (Hov34). I got exposed to their first album and I remember when "Brick" was on the radio, but I wasn't paying attention to them much otherwise, which is too bad because there really is a lot of Todd Rundgren in Folds' songwriting approach, as evidenced here.
Holy Ghost -- The Bar-Kays (Doug B). Bumpin'!
Kyuss is one of the most influential rock bands of the late 80's to mid 90's. Their sound helped shape the desert/stoner rock genre.....and beyond. I could've picked several songs from their three best albums....Blues for the Red Sun, Welcome to Sky Valley, ...And the Circus Leaves Town.

Post-Kyuss has spawned all kinds of bands by the former members. Obviously Queens of the Stone age is the most well known, but theres plenty of others like Hermano, Vista Chino, Unida, mondo Generator, John Garcia, and Brant Bjork solo work, amongst others. I think a lot of folks in this thread would enjoy Brant Bjork. He's got a pretty unique thing goin.....pretty stoney, and funky. Garcia's (Kyuss singer) stuff is more like Kyuss.

Wow, 16 different songs from Petty - Amazing.

This would be a hell of a double album:

Tom Petty's Middle Aged Dummies' Greatest Hits
American Girl
Don't Come Around Here No More
Free Fallin'
Here Comes My Girl
I Need To Know
I Won't Back Down
Listen to Her Heart
Louisiana Rain
Mary Jane's Last Dance
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
The Waiting
Wake Up Time
Wildflowers
You Got Lucky

Pip: I may have asked you this in another thread but do you have any opinion about Goose?

I was doing my periodic scan of upcoming shows at local venues and I seem to have heard of even fewer acts than ever. I try to stay current but I swear they're just setting up Potemkin village band names to mess with me. Anyway, Goose is playing two theater shows down the street in April. I've listened to a couple of their studio albums and was intrigued but not blown away. I've seem them lumped in with jam bands presumably because they stretch out their live act.

ETA: open question for any jam aficionados

Check out this set. This was my first time seeing them (see if you can spot me in the crowd).

Seeing them on 12/30 and NYE here in Cincy.

American Girl
Free Fallin'
Here Comes My Girl
I Need To Know
I Won't Back Down
Listen to Her Heart
Louisiana Rain
Mary Jane's Last Dance
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream
The Waiting
Wake Up Time
Wildflowers
You Got Lucky
I love to see this! So many great All-American songs!

I feel like several more songs from Wildflowers should be on this list....It's good to be King, Honey Bee, You Wreck Me, House in the Woods, A higher Place, Only a Broken Heart....Hell, the whole album!!!

I thought REM would hang on, like most of us did. I thought I had 2 right, but now think I have 1. :kicksrock:

I also won't get the tie breaker as I had REM the highest of the 4 and pretty damn high.

I thought REM would hang on, like most of us did. I thought I had 2 right, but now think I have 1. :kicksrock:

I also won't get the tie breaker as I had REM the highest of the 4 and pretty damn high.
I may have the Beach Boys in the exact right spot for the tiebreaker -- and it won't matter because they were the only one I got right.

I may have the Beach Boys in the exact right spot for the tiebreaker -- and it won't matter because they were the only one I got right.
I looked again, and I might have 2 right, but verified that I had R.E.M. the highest at #3.

I am contestant #3. I thought White Stripes had a shot just based on Seven Nation Army and maybe another big song. I figured they would have a couple more top scores with them. Allmans were not even in my thoughts, mostly I was looking at 90s and grunge bands for the last spot (I too have The Beach Boys).

I found this post from November 2. No one guessed correctly!

"I know I said I wouldn't do another numbers-y update until I had processed 15 lists, but this is so crazy to me that I have to mention it. With 13 lists processed, there is an artist that has shown up on nine lists for a total of 10 songs. 10 different songs. When will this artist get a double selection? Guesses welcome as to who it is. (Tom Petty)

(The next closest artist in terms of selected songs has six.) (Bob Dylan)

(Guesses were: Prince, R.E.M., Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Warren Zevon, Eagles)

With hind sight I should have picked both grunge kings instead of isolating (the wrong) one. Might've been the one to get 3 had I done that, but alas...

I missed a lot of Chicago talk a few pages ago. Here is a cover from a Chicago tribute band from Russia. The lead singer is actually frome Ukraine. This slaps (I think I'm using that correctly?)

American Girl
Free Fallin'
Here Comes My Girl
I Need To Know
I Won't Back Down
Listen to Her Heart
Louisiana Rain
Mary Jane's Last Dance
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream
The Waiting
Wake Up Time
Wildflowers
You Got Lucky

His song I've listened to most of the last couple years is Yer So Bad - not really close to my top 25 but a great song and worthy of being on this double album.

Also, I highly appreciate @Hawks64 maintaining the shtick of putting all the songs in, including repeats. I enjoyed hearing "Superstition" three times in the #3s. :lmao:
Not going to lie...the back to backs have messed me up a few times...I get to the end and am missing a song and it takes my dim head way to long to figure out that I missed a back to back repeat. :lmao:

Songs!

The race for top song looks even closer than for artist (non-spoiler alert - they both end up very close). "Superstition" has it right now, but one vote for "Marquee Moon" could lead to the biggest upset in countdown history!!!!1111 Surprise third-place entry "Visions of Johanna" would need two #1s to take the lead, as would upstart "The Boxer," stalwart "God Only Knows," and current leader for one-hit wonder, "Surrender." Five other songs could take it by getting three #1s, and "Fortunate Son" could even sneak into a tie for the current lead with three, as well.

Am I the only one not seeing the updated numbers in the spreadsheet?
:shrug: clear your browser cache? Have you tried a different browser?

This is what I see in the top selections - is this correct?

Song TitleArtistUnsorted PositionPointsDuplicate# of selections
Marquee MoonTelevision91067
SuperstitionStevie Wonder291567
God Only KnowsThe Beach Boys27556
Fortunate SonCreedence Clearwater Revival22145
Let's Stay TogetherRev. Al Green31045
Seven Nation ArmyThe White Stripes151145
Smells Like Teen SpiritNirvana20745
SurrenderCheap Trick91245
The BoxerSimon & Garfunkel232245
Visions of JohannaBob Dylan302145
The numbers look right, but column c to e should be hidden. Not sure why they are showing

Or maybe they just come thru here due to you copying. Is there something that looks wrong with the count? Certainly possible

Yep, it was due to copying it. I guess I read krista's post wrong as I thought she was saying Superstition had the lead vs. being tied. Also, some of her other comments didn't make sense to me but to be fair, I was drinking.

Songs!

The race for top song looks even closer than for artist (non-spoiler alert - they both end up very close). "Superstition" has it right now, but one vote for "Marquee Moon" could lead to the biggest upset in countdown history!!!!1111 Surprise third-place entry "Visions of Johanna" would need two #1s to take the lead, as would upstart "The Boxer," stalwart "God Only Knows," and current leader for one-hit wonder, "Surrender." Five other songs could take it by getting three #1s, and "Fortunate Son" could even sneak into a tie for the current lead with three, as well.

The numbers look right, but column c to e should be hidden. Not sure why they are showing

Or maybe they just come thru here due to you copying. Is there something that looks wrong with the count? Certainly possible

Yep, it was due to copying it. I guess I read krista's post wrong as I thought she was saying Superstition had the lead vs. being tied. Also, some of her other comments didn't make sense to me but to be fair, I was drinking.

Your comment doesn’t make any sense to me, and I’m sober! :lol:

I don’t know what you mean about Superstition being tied. It has a clear-cut points lead going into the #1s.

Songs!

I don’t know what you mean about Superstition being tied. It has a clear-cut points lead going into the #1s.
I think you're talking apples and AAA is talking oranges. You are referring to points, aaa was looking at # of songs selected. I am also sober (for now)

Songs!

I think you're talking apples and AAA is talking oranges. You are referring to points, aaa was looking at # of songs selected. I am also sober (for now)

Ah, thanks. He was replying to my post about the overall winners , which is of course based on points.

well **** ...I didn't realize Jellyfish was an American group. They would have made my list ...I was looking them up thinking they were UK. :D

Both Jellyfish albums are wonderful as complete pieces but I couldn't pick a top 31 song from them

good point, it would have been toward the 30 mark, but I would have probably jammed one of these in there - I could listen to them all day

The Ghost At #1

New Mistake

That Is Why

Songs!

Ah, thanks. He was replying to my post about the overall winners , which is of course based on points.

My excuse
:banned: :suds: 🍸🥃🍺🍻🥂🍷🍹

Number 1:

krista4:

The Ballad of El Goodo - Big Star
(duplicate – second vote)

Just Win Baby:

Black (1991), from Ten - Pearl Jam
(new song)

simey:

Return of the Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons
(duplicate – fourth vote)

scorchy:

Three Days - Jane's Addiction

neal cassady:

Tangled Up In Blue - Bob Dylan

Uruk-Hai:

Drift Away - Dobie Gray
(duplicate – third vote)

Yankee23Fan:

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
(duplicate – sixth vote)

Manster:

Sanctuary – Elder
(new song)

shuke:

Eyes of the World - Grateful Dead
(new song)

rockaction:

Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) - Marvin Gaye
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

New Binky the Doormat:

The Want of a Nail – Todd Rundgren
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
(duplicate – sixth vote)

Dr. Octopus:

Whipping Post – The Allman Brothers Band
(duplicate – second AND third votes today!)

Val Rannous:

The Sound of Silence - Simon and Garfunkel

Chaz McNulty:

Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

Feeling Good - Nina Simone
(new song)

Sullie:

Wall of Denial - Stevie Ray Vaughn
(new song)

jwb:

Whipping Post (At Fillmore East version) – The Allman Brothers Band
(duplicate – third vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

Little Red Corvette, Prince

Hawks64:

Love on The Weekend - John Mayer
(new song)

MAC_32:

Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

falguy:

Turn the Page - Bob Seger
(duplicate – third vote)

simsarge:

Straight On – Heart
(new song)

worrierking:

Desperados under the Eaves - Warren Zevon
(new song)

Eephus:

I Want You Back - The Jackson 5
(new song)

Hov34:

Love and Happiness - Al Green
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

The Way – Fastball
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

God Only Knows - The Beach Boys
(duplicate – seventh vote)

landryshat:

(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding

Zegras11:

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
(duplicate – third vote)

Ilov80s:

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Aretha Franklin

Oliver Humanzee:

Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
(duplicate – third vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Hot Burrito #1 - The Flying Burrito Brothers
(new artist)

Doug B:

Look What You've Done to Me - Boz Scaggs
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

The Day I Tried to Live - Soundgarden
(new song)

Congratulations to Stevie Wonder and “Superstition” for winning (Binky: losing) the artist and song categories!

It turned out to be a very tight race for both, and when the lists came in real-time, “The Boxer” had maintained the song lead until OH’s list near the very end. Dylan also held the “artist” win for a good long time, after Tom Petty finally relinquished it midway through the lists.

In the “one-hit wonder” category, Rev. Al Green suffers a crushing defeat by snagging a 31-point entry, but for a different song, ensuring the victory for Cheap Trick’s “Surrender,” with five votes for a total of 118 points.

Final point totals for top 20 artists:

1.Stevie Wonder: 439

2.Bob Dylan: 430

3.Prince: 371

4.Beach Boys: 325

5.Simon & Garfunkel: 313

6.Tom Petty: 302

7.Bruce Springsteen: 269

8.Nirvana: 247

9.Marvin Gaye: 232

10.The Allman Brothers Band: 202

11.Otis Redding: 191

12.R.E.M.: 175

13.Jim Croce: 163

14.Television: 157

15.Lynyrd Skynyrd: 156

16.The Temptations: 152

17.Aretha Franklin: 147

18. Creedence Clearwater Revival: 146

TIE 19.

Pearl Jam: 137

Warren Zevon: 137

And final point totals for the top 20 songs:

174 points:
Superstition -- Stevie Wonder (29 + 29 + 29 + 15 + 18 + 30 + 24)

166 points:
The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel (31 + 30 + 23 + 22 + 30 + 30)

151 points:
Marquee Moon- Television (21 + 10 + 24 + 30 + 17 + 19 + 30)

150 points:
God Only Knows – The Beach Boys (8 + 29 + 30 + 5 + 31 + 18 + 29)

138 points:
Visions of Johanna - Bob Dylan (29 + 30 + 21 + 30 + 28)

127 points:
Smells Like Teen Spirit -- Nirvana (31 + 26 + 7 + 22 + 22 + 19)

118 points:
Surrender - Cheap Trick (27 + 12 + 26 + 24 + 29)

108 points:
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye (20 + 14 + 23 + 26 + 25)

104 points:
Let’s Stay Together – Rev. Al Green (27 + 10 + 28 + 20 + 19)

99 points:
(Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay- Otis Redding (17 + 27 + 24 + 31)

93 points:
Little Red Corvette - Prince (29 + 31 + 29 + 4)

91 points:
Whipping Post – The Allman Brothers Band (29 + 31 + 31)

87 points:
Seven Nation Army - White Stripes (24 + 21 + 11 + 18 + 13)
Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan (29 + 27 + 31)

84 points:
American Pie - Don McLean (30 + 16 + 11 + 27)

81 points:
Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival (24 + 7 + 28 + 1 + 21)

80 points:
Wouldn’t It Be Nice – Beach Boys (23 + 28 + 29)
Respect - Aretha Franklin (15 + 18 + 20 + 27)

78 points:
Return of the Grievous Angel - Gram Parsons (31 + 4 + 22 + 21)

77 points:
What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong (23 + 26 + 28)

Last edited:
Congrats to our contest winners! We had a three-way tie for the winner of the initial contest, but on the tiebreaker @Don Quixote takes the crown by guessing “God Only Knows” as the next highest finishing song.

In the “last four in” contest, @AAABatteries wins also via a tiebreaker, having correctly guessed two of the four – The Beach Boys and Marvin Gaye. @Chaz McNulty , @KarmaPolice , @MAC_32 and @Val Rannous also correctly identified two of the four, but AAA correctly chose the Beach Boys as the highest scoring artist, as they ended up at #4. I decided later that my tiebreaker sucked a little and that I should have done lowest sum of the rankings of the four artists selected, but guess what? AAA won on that basis, too, with a total of 43 points for The Beach Boys (4th), R.E.M. (12th), Marvin Gaye (9th), and Pearl Jam (TIE for 18th).

Winners, please let us know your charities!

Last edited:
I have heard of them but not actually heard them. I've been really bad about keeping up with new music since 2006 or so.

I've also not spend a lot of time listening to them (won't be in my countdown), but a buddy of mine who is a musician and has similar musical tastes to me (he's actually the one that turned me on to Gov't Mule many, many years ago) is a big fan.

Some other tidbits!

• You might recall that @Dr. Octopus submitted a second list for this exercise, since his top 31 had already been revealed in the original countdown. If we had his original list instead of his second 31, “God Only Knows” would have won for overall favorite song. Maybe “Superstition” needs an asterisk?
  • My teaser of which grunge band would score highest has obviously been answered in resounding fashion, with Nirvana nearly doubling the points of both Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, who were neck-and-neck.
  • Our top female artist? Aretha! She scored 147 points, putting her in 17th place overall, ahead of Heart (96 points for 41st) and Dolly Parton (81 points for 53rd).
  • Speaking of Aretha, oddly enough her cover of “Bridge over Troubled Water” scored more points (61) than the original Simon & Garfunkel version (53).
  • Two of our top 15 songs didn’t even show up until Rounds 27 (“Like a Rolling Stone”) and 29 (“Whipping Post”). Whipping Post was, in fact, the first song to receive two first-place votes as the lists came in, and briefly it held the song lead.
  • The first three votes that came in for “Superstition” were each third-place votes, which as a hockey fan I’m calling a “natural” Menage FaLaLa Trois.
  • @falguy mentioned two different metrics he might post that I said I could do immediately, so here ya go:
    • songs with the most top 10 votes
      • The Boxer – six (of six!)
      • Superstition – five (of seven)
      • Visions of Johanna – four (of five)
      • Surrender – four (of five)
      • Smells Like Teen Spirit – four (of six)
      • God Only Knows – four (of seven)
      • Whipping Post – three (of three)
      • Like a Rolling Stone – three (of three)
      • Wouldn’t It Be Nice – three (of three)
      • What a Wonderful World – three (of three)
      • (Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay – three (of four)
      • Little Red Corvette – three (of four)
      • What’s Going On – three (of five)
      • Marquee Moon – three (of seven)
      • A bunch of others with two
    • the artist who has the most songs with > 1 vote (the “anti-one-hit-wonder”?)
      • Prince – six
      • Bob Dylan - five
      • Stevie Wonder – four
      • A bunch of others with three

Last edited:
The Boxer will always have a place in my heart that will never fade.

I mention when I was discussing Cats in the Cradle that nighttime routine with my son was always mine. He was also a baby that dealt alot with croupe, so there were many many sleepless nights holding him so he didn't cough too much. We always have music playing in the house so I would listen to music while holding him in his room and rather quickly I would start singing all the songs to him as well as a way to calm him down.

Whenever The Boxer would come on and I would sing that the "lie la lie" parts it became his lullabye and would calm him down more than anything. Eventually me holding him and singing The Boxer to him was always enough to calm him down and get him to sleep. So, for years, I would sing The Boxer to my son when he couldn't sleep for any reason. Did the same with my youngest as well. And while he isn't my sidekick anymore, whenever we are together and we hear The Boxer come on he always says, "good song."

Yes it is.

Users who are viewing this thread