What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre Upset With Walker (1 Viewer)

I wish more teams had the cojones to let a guy sit. It's the only answer to some agents, and if not, the agents will beat them like a drum.

That's refreshing. Someone who wants to be a leader and steps up to act like one. Seems there are not enough of these guys sometimes. I wonder what he thinks about TO? :boxing:

While I agree with Brett's comments about Walker, he's got a lot of effin nerve criticizing another player like that WHILE HE ISN'T EVEN REPORTING TO PACKERS MINI-CAMP HIMSELF....

While I agree with Brett's comments about Walker, he's got a lot of effin nerve criticizing another player like that WHILE HE ISN'T EVEN REPORTING TO PACKERS MINI-CAMP HIMSELF....
Favre wanted to come to mini camp. Mike Sherman told him to stay home.They have 3 QB's in camp and want to give them the lions share of the reps.

Know what you are talking about before you decide to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's no wonder that Favre is so well liked. I always seem to agree with the guy and even though I am not a Packer fan I have become a huge Favre fan over the last few years. What's not to like? The guy puts it all on the line, speaks his mind, and is a true leader in every sense of the word. The NFL will definitely miss him when he retires.

Have to assume you are not familiar with why he isn't in camp. Otherwisw we have to assume something different that's not as flattering. :hot: Favre has been told by his coach to stay home and take care of his family while his wife is dealing with cancer. I think Favre is familiar with the offense and plays after about 15 years. Whereas, Walker is still learning and developing. He still has a long way to go and could become one of the best WR's. Better than he is now. Missing camps is not how he'll get there. Pissing off your QB will not help your stats. OTH-look for Driver to get a few extra looks and have a career year.

While I read that Favre wasn't supposed to be at camp, I also read that the Packer brass has been on him for not working out and staying in shape for the past several off seasons. I think Madden's man love for Favre is rubbing off on some people. :wub:

Have to assume you are not familiar with why he isn't in camp. Otherwisw we have to assume something different that's not as flattering. :hot: Favre has been told by his coach to stay home and take care of his family while his wife is dealing with cancer. I think Favre is familiar with the offense and plays after about 15 years. Whereas, Walker is still learning and developing. He still has a long way to go and could become one of the best WR's. Better than he is now. Missing camps is not how he'll get there. Pissing off your QB will not help your stats. OTH-look for Driver to get a few extra looks and have a career year.
Workhorse certainly looks silly now.Also, we should point out that it's not like Favre is simply taking this time off. The Packers have hired a professional sports trainer to work with Favre's conditioning this offseason. They are working on his core muscle groups to prepare Favre for upcoming season and hope to reduce his potential chance for injury as he gets older. He was quoted as saying that he's more sore now than he's been in a while. He'd rather be at minicamp, because the training he's doing now has been so tough.

]“I’d just as soon go without him. He’s a great player. I think he can help us. He’s likeable and easy to get along with, but I’m guessing he’s getting the wrong advice, and he’s buying into that.“We’ve got guys who’ll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up. We can win without him.”
There is nothing wrong with a man expressing his love for another man and I am not ashamed to publicly proclaim my deep deep love for this man Brett Favre.

Let me get this straight?Favre comes out publically and critizes Javon Walker, but Brett Favre is just a stand-up guy.TO comes out and publically critizes Donovan McNabb, but TO is a punk?Obviously prior history to these events should carry quit a bit of weight, but in reality TO and Brett are doing the same exact thing.

Let me get this straight?

Favre comes out publically and critizes Javon Walker, but Brett Favre is just a stand-up guy.

TO comes out and publically critizes Donovan McNabb, but TO is a punk?

Obviously prior history to these events should carry quit a bit of weight, but in reality TO and Brett are doing the same exact thing.
The difference would be TO criticizing McNabb for having the flu in the SB. Favrah is criticizing Walker for not participating with the team and threatening to hold out.You could compare what Favrah said to what McNabb recently said, but he shouldn't be compared to TO.

Favre comes out publically and critizes Javon Walker, but Brett Favre is just a stand-up guy.

Obviously prior history to these events should carry quit a bit of weight, but in reality TO and Brett are doing the same exact thing.
:fishing: I would have never been able to tell you are a Vikings fan.

huh? not sure if this is a fishing trip or what....The only thing they have in common is that they publically criticized a teammate but the reasons for the criticism are worlds apart. TO (who is also holding out) criticized McNabb for his superbowl play, while Favre is criticizing a young wr for holding out while under contract. Favre is attempting to be a leader with his criticism and foster a strong team while TO, well who knows what TO's reason for commenting is but it certainly isn't an attempt to lead the team or create a better team environment. The two situations couldn't be more different.

it is easy for the fan in us to throw the Walkers' of the world under the bus...if I were a Packer fan, I would certainly want him in campwe went thru this w/Ray Lewis during his contract rework, so I've been there---we'll likely see it w/Ed Reed, as he wants to rework and avoid the dreaded "franchise tag"...last used here on Chris McAllister for 2 yrsit is also easy for Mr $9.5M cap number guy to say his WR1 ought to be in camp...big man, Brett :rolleyes:as long as the NE's of the world can ask a player like Troy Brown to move positions and therefore forego the opportunity to make bonus production to the tune of $5M...then cut him after the season before hte $5M is payable......I don't hold it againt the business side of the player to rework deals trying to align their production, while still with a teamthese deals are usually done somewhat under market, where the player gets a raise in the form of a signing bonus and reworked salary, and the team keeps the player for less than what he might have signed for in the open marketmy problem w/Owens in his situation is he demanded a trade to a hand picked team AND wants FA market money to play for his hind picked team...that is just alittle over the top and NOT the same situation as the rest of these guys

This does not look good for Walker! PRINT THIS STORY Posted May 03, 2005 Favre upset with Walker Javon Walker is holding out, trying to get a more lucrative contract. Quarterback Brett Favre isn’t happy that his Pro Bowl receiver has decided to do so. File/PackersNews.com By Chris HavelPackersNews.com Brett Favre isn’t sure whether Javon Walker cares what he thinks of his receiver’s holdout, but just in case, the Green Bay Packers’ quarterback made it clear.“If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I’d tell him he’s going about this the wrong way,” Favre said. “When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I’d tell him I’ve been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you.”Favre, 35, expressed his disappointment with Walker during a telephone interview from his Hattiesburg, Miss., home. He said he was upset when he heard Walker intended to sit out the season if the Packers don’t renegotiate his contract.Walker, the Packers’ first-round draft pick in 2002, has two years remaining on his existing deal. He is scheduled to make $515,000 this season and $650,000 in 2006. Walker had a breakout season last year when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. He played in his first Pro Bowl in February.“I would’ve never thought it would be a guy like Javon,” Favre said. “I guess in this business nothing should surprise you, especially what happens when guys have a little bit of success. Some guys handle it the right way and some guys don’t.”Favre said Walker’s holdout reminded him of Sterling Sharpe’s decision to hold out the night before the Packers hosted the Vikings in the 1994 season opener.“Nowadays you’re seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt,” he said. “If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I’ll be gone, but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon’s situation was ‘Here we go again.’“Javon has tremendous potential. We got to see some of that last year. The sky’s the limit for that guy, and I’d be the first to defend him, but he’s going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring your contract and saying, ‘Let’s work as a team to see if we can get this done?’ Why not go about it that way?“Maybe I’m old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract. Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it’s a lesser player, but it’s all based on what a team has as far as value in that person.”Favre left no doubt as to how he thinks the Packers should handle the situation.“I sure hope the Packers don’t give in to him,” he said. “I don’t sit up in the front office, and I don’t talk to them — regardless of what people might think — and tell them who to draft and who not to draft. They don’t ask me, and it’s not my job. My job is to throw passes and be a leader.“That’s why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said.”Favre was excused from the team’s post-NFL draft minicamp. He heard of Walker’s decision to hold out on Thursday evening. He said Walker might be wise to go to General Manager Ted Thompson directly and try to work out a new deal.“Whatever happened to buying into the team concept?” he said. “ Javon does what he’s supposed to do, and what he is paid a lot of money to do, he’s paid to go to the Pro Bowl. He wasn’t complaining two years ago when he hardly caught a pass, and until you do go (to the Pro Bowl), you don’t even think twice about what they’re paying you.”If Walker’s stance doesn’t change, Favre said, “I’d just as soon play the season without him. He’s a great player. I think he can help us. He’s likeable and easy to get along with, but I’m guessing he’s getting the wrong advice, and he’s buying into that.“I just don’t see much good that can come from it. If it gets time for the start of training camp and he’s not in, I think it’ll start bothering him, and he’ll be here. But once again, nothing should surprise you.“We’ve got guys who’ll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up. We can win without him.”Discuss this topic in our forums

The difference would be TO criticizing McNabb for having the flu in the SB. Favrah is criticizing Walker for not participating with the team and threatening to hold out.

You could compare what Favrah said to what McNabb recently said, but he shouldn't be compared to TO.
I guess it is sort of a fishing trip as I was hoping to generate some outside-the-box thinking. The difference I think is Favre is the spoken and unspoken leader the Packers and he is more entitled to voice his opinion about other players on the team. TO on the other hand is not the spoken nor unspoken leader of the Eagles and he called out the Eagles clear leader.But TO could have phoned McNabb and expressed his opinion privately instead of using the media. But I hold Favre to the same light. If Favre wanted to speak to Walker about his contract holdout, shouldn't he have called up Walker privately instead of using the media as well?

Just not sure why TO gets beat up for using the media to publically call out a player and Favre gets a free pass.

The only thing they have in common is that they publically criticized a teammate but the reasons for the criticism are worlds apart. TO (who is also holding out) criticized McNabb for his superbowl play, while Favre is criticizing a young wr for holding out while under contract. Favre is attempting to be a leader with his criticism and foster a strong team while TO, well who knows what TO's reason for commenting is but it certainly isn't an attempt to lead the team or create a better team environment. The two situations couldn't be more different.
For the most part, this is what I am interested in and my question is, "Is it or is it not ok to use the media to call out a teammate?"

Um, you don't have it straight . . . :loco:

The difference would be TO criticizing McNabb for having the flu in the SB.  Favrah is criticizing Walker for not participating with the team and threatening to hold out.

You could compare what Favrah said to what McNabb recently said, but he shouldn't be compared to TO.
I guess it is sort of a fishing trip as I was hoping to generate some outside-the-box thinking. The difference I think is Favre is the spoken and unspoken leader the Packers and he is more entitled to voice his opinion about other players on the team. TO on the other hand is not the spoken nor unspoken leader of the Eagles and he called out the Eagles clear leader.But TO could have phoned McNabb and expressed his opinion privately instead of using the media. But I hold Favre to the same light. If Favre wanted to speak to Walker about his contract holdout, shouldn't he have called up Walker privately instead of using the media as well?

Just not sure why TO gets beat up for using the media to publically call out a player and Favre gets a free pass.
Probably because TO was attempting to deflect criticism aimed at him by bringing another player unnecessarily into the picture. That's a coward's move. Favre is simply saying that if you sign a contract you should honor it and not play games. He's said the same thing about other players over the years -- the most notable being when he called out Sterling Sharpe back in 94 when Sharpe threatened to hold out in the team's opener against the Vikings. Favre has always been upfront about his feelings with regard to holdouts.

Probably because TO was attempting to deflect criticism aimed at him by bringing another player unnecessarily into the picture. That's a coward's move. Favre is simply saying that if you sign a contract you should honor it and not play games. He's said the same thing about other players over the years -- the most notable being when he called out Sterling Sharpe back in 94 when Sharpe threatened to hold out in the team's opener against the Vikings. Favre has always been upfront about his feelings with regard to holdouts.
Thanks Packersfan, this is what I was looking for and it helps me seperate the two examples. This is a big difference.

hey farve it happens all the time and this is how most deals get done, deal with it you whiner. The guy deserves a raise and he will get one, they should have resigned him after last season anyways. They gave driver a big contract after one good year, walkers had two good years, what the hell do they expect.

And Favre is right by the way. As talented as Walker is, the Packers' passing game has thrived in several seasons with less-than-stellar talents. That's always been one of Favre's greatest attributes -- he makes the WRs on the team often look much better than they really are. I want to see Walker in camp and I think this situation will be resolved, but if anybody can make things work without him it's Favre.

And Favre is right by the way. As talented as Walker is, the Packers' passing game has thrived in several seasons with less-than-stellar talents. That's always been one of Favre's greatest attributes -- he makes the WRs on the team often look much better than they really are. I want to see Walker in camp and I think this situation will be resolved, but if anybody can make things work without him it's Favre.
you and farve are right, the pack win will there 5 or 6 games this year with or without him.

you and farve are right, the pack win will there 5 or 6 games this year with or without him.
I'll take that bet.

"Farve"?!?!? "the pack win will there 5 or 6 games"?!?!?Did you drop out of school in the middle of the 4th grade?

The difference between TO and Javon is that Javon is still playing under his rookie contract and is going to make $515K this year (not much for a guy who had 1400 yds and 12 TDs last year). TO just signed a contract LAST YEAR and is already a cancer for the Eagles. I can at least understand why Javon is holding out...TO needs to shut up and play.

I love Farve evoking the Sterling Sharpe/Robert Brooks situation. Look kid, I make pro-bowl receivers every year so unless you want to see Ferguson and Driver hauling in TD passes every week, git yer butt in camp.Oh, and uh...VIVA LA REVOLUTION! :excited:

"Farve"?!?!? "the pack win will there 5 or 6 games"?!?!?Did you drop out of school in the middle of the 4th grade?
whatever makes you feel better, take a look at the schedule and that defense, they will be bad with or without walker.

Favre wanted to come to mini camp. Mike Sherman told him to stay home.They have 3 QB's in camp and want to give them the lions share of the reps.

I don't buy for a second that "Favre wanted to come to camp". He's #####ed about attending mini-camp for years. I'd bet that Favre made it a condition on his returning for another season...Lose the attitude there son.

whatever makes you feel better, take a look at the schedule and that defense, they will be bad with or without walker.
And once again I'll ask, wanna bet?

I don't buy for a second that "Favre wanted to come to camp". He's #####ed about attending mini-camp for years. I'd bet that Favre made it a condition on his returning for another season...Lose the attitude there son.
Sorry, just not very tolerant of ignorance, which is abundant in your posts.I'm SURE you are right. Favre had a clause put in that if he had to go to mini camp he would retire.

:sarcasm:

:shock:

Sorry, just not very tolerant of ignorance, which is abundant in your posts.I'm SURE you are right. Favre had a clause put in that if he had to go to mini camp he would retire.

:sarcasm:

:shock:
While I don't really buy into the idea that Sherman told Brett to stay away, he may have told him he wouldn't be needed on the field, and told if he wanted to stay home with the fam, that's cool.Reminds me of the ESPN interview when Sherman said Brett will treat Rodgers as he wants, it's up to Aaron to learn from Brett.

:X internet bets with people you don't know are pointless, you can just bump this thread and call me a fool if they win 7 games, but they won't so it doesn't matter. You tell me the 7 games you think they will win, take a look at their away games they will be lucky to win two of them. That defense couldn't stop a decent high school team and you know it, and the offense isn't nearly good enough to keep up, the loss of the guards will not hurt the run game either, yea right.

:X internet bets with people you don't know are pointless, you can just bump this thread and call me a fool if they win 7 games, but they won't so it doesn't matter. You tell me the 7 games you think they will win, take a look at their away games they will be lucky to win two of them. That defense couldn't stop a decent high school team and you know it, and the offense isn't nearly good enough to keep up, the loss of the guards will not hurt the run game either, yea right.
Sorry, I assumed you were prepared to back up your claim with something of substance instead of it being nothing more than hot air. My bad.

Sorry, I assumed you were prepared to back up your claim with something of substance instead of it being nothing more than hot air. My bad.
You mean something like "wanna bet?" :rolleyes:

You mean something like "wanna bet?" :rolleyes:
Yup. I'm prepared to back up my belief that the Packers will be no worse than second in the NFC North this season.

Missing minicamp is standard practice for all three time MVP's in their 15th year, who have had a father pass away and a wife contract cancer, but only those who have won a Superbowl and who have restructured their contracts to help out their team, and who are working with personal trainers approved of by the team and monitored by the team.

I agree wholeheartedly with Favre on the matter and with the earlier point that Favre has made some careers out of less than stellar WR material.I have often wondered if his instinct to force a ball in a tight spot has led to a number of his receivers having shortened careers. It seems like Sharpe, Brooks and Freeman were all hurt prior to spending what could have been lengthy careers in the NFL.Does Favre make and break WR's and is the probability of Walker being injured in his career playing a part in his decision making. It probably is but he is still going about it the wrong way.

I'm a bit surprised at the Pro-Brett reaction here. Let's see:Favre's cap hit this year is 6.5M. Walker's is 515K. Walker is eight years younger than Favre, and ranked as the second best WR in FF last year. And Favre calls Walker out for wanting more money? I'm never a fan of people sticking their noses in other people's contracts. :thumbdown: Seriously, why is Favre getting involved in Walker's finances? How silly would it look if Walker came out and said "I can't believe we're paying Brett Favre this much money."Is Favre going to support Walker for the rest of his life? If he gets a career ending injury this year, then what happens? The Packers would cut him and he'd never see another dime from them. Favre the athlete :thumbup: Favre the "team player" :thumbdown: (really builds team unity calling out the best player on your team)Pitiful that Mr. Lay Down is attacking someone else's integrity. He's becoming the NFL's version of Curt Schililng.

Missing minicamp is standard practice for all three time MVP's in their 15th year, who have had a father pass away and a wife contract cancer, but only those who have won a Superbowl and who have restructured their contracts to help out their team, and who are working with personal trainers approved of by the team and monitored by the team.
Standard or not, it certainly doesn't build team unity to not have him there. I agree that Favre shouldn't be there, but he also shouldn't be spouting off at the mouth.

Mozzy backed up his claim with the reasons he thinks it'll be true. Packersfan backed his up with the fact that he has enough confidence in his claim that he's willing to bet on it.Isn't the board a lot more useful backing up with reasoning (and even facts) so they can be debated and contribute to the board, rather than by backing them up with a willingness to bet?At this point, Mozzy has asked packersfan to provide what games he thinks the Pack can win, which hasn't been done. So I'd say packersfan is the one who needs to back up his claim, not the other way around.

The difference between TO and Javon is that Javon is still playing under his rookie contract and is going to make $515K this year (not much for a guy who had 1400 yds and 12 TDs last year). TO just signed a contract LAST YEAR and is already a cancer for the Eagles.

I can at least understand why Javon is holding out...TO needs to shut up and play.
$515k is a joke for a Pro Bowl WR. The Packers should lock him up before he decides to leave anyway. Most guys usually get to this point when they outperform their rookie contract and are vastly underpaid. I don't even see Javon and TO's situation even remotely similar. I understand Favre's point of view, but he's not the one playing for $515k either. If the Packers aren't going to give Walker a new contract on their own, he needs to do what is in his best interest.

Favre the "team player" :thumbdown: (really builds team unity calling out the best player on your team)

Pitiful that Mr. Lay Down is attacking someone else's integrity. He's becoming the NFL's version of Curt Schililng.
Antonio Freeman II is their best player? :lmao: I see you're still bitter about that wife beater Gastineau losing the sack record.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. While I like the perspective Favre brought to it because I believe people should stand by a contract in normal situations, this isn't a normal situation. The team isn't going to honor the contract if it isn't in their best interest, so I'm not sure we should expect the player to. It makes sense for Walker to want to renegotiate when he's got the best leverage, coming off a Pro Bowl season.As a fan, it frustrates me to no end having players hold out, but I realize that is the way the business is run. I never thought I'd say this, but maybe the answer is looser free agency restrictions. If a player was a UFA after his rookie contract we might see fewer hold outs.One other comment... while I did like the values that Favre's comment indicated, I'd have been even more impressed when talking about the team concept if he'd offered to take a pay cut to even out the pay of an underpaid teammate.

Users who are viewing this thread