What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre will play this year! (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure you can say Favre really did anything wrong here. Minnesota knew this was what they were getting in to. Favre would play as long as he could, but at some point this was going to happen.
Yeah. The Vikings gave him whatever he wanted, counting on the fact that he'd want to play again. All eggs in one basket is on the organization. It's not like they didn't know who he was. I mean, yeah, you want Favre over McNabb, so the chance at alienating Favre seems like a high cost, but when you gamble, sometimes you lose.

Again, what does that have to do with 2008 when nobody was slinging the ball around all over the place and ADP was a monster? Did 8 man fronts stop ADP then? Why do you think they will now?
ADP's odometer is higher than it was in 2008 too. If you think team's aren't going to stack the front and concentrate on Peterson, then you don't know football at all. I don't think T-Jax has the ability to keep them honest. I'm not saying don't draft Peterson, but I am saying he's fallen out of the top 5 imo.
And I view it as the exact opposite....I'm sure i'm in the minority here, but I think ADP's value goes UP without "Gunslinger" Favre.No more 1st and goal on the 1yd line TD passes....feed the ball to the stud.

The SP hate you see Jason is simply Favre, Rice, and Percy Harvin owners who already drafted for 2010. Few dynasty owners too. This is not definite but folks feel like they made choices that were based on Favre returning and "had they known" they would have done something else.
That's quite the assumption you're making. You sure the hate has nothing to do with the years of Favre jerking around his employers with the will he or won't he retirement game?
It seems MOP left out another contingent upset here. Packer and Jet fans that somehow feel jilted by the guy. Winky, which are you?
Possibly...but its always been funny in these threads where it gets blamed on Packer fans...yet you see a ton of hate from guys that are not Packer fans.As I have said in the other thread...most Packer fans here have moved on from him and are quite happy with Rodgers as our QB.The topic is still interesting as it affects the division and he is still a very strong character to discuss.

I'm not sure you can say Favre really did anything wrong here. Minnesota knew this was what they were getting in to. Favre would play as long as he could, but at some point this was going to happen.
This.The big difference between Favre in Green Bay his last few seasons there and Favre in Minnesota?! Vikings fans knew not to fall on their swords or clink the beer steins together every time Favre sneezed or flushed. The Favre watch this off-season hasn't been much of a watch at all. A few stories here and there, but thank God ESPN was so distracted by LeBron: The Decision that they left the story alone.

Even if his ankle is a no-go and he's done, he gave us (Vikings fans) an absolutely outstanding 2009 season...and if not for a couple ADP fumbles and having to throw off one leg in the fourth quarter after a couple cheap shots by the Saints defense, we might have been toasting our fifth loss in Super Bowl history! :lmao: That San Fran game, that THRASHING of the Cowboys in the playoffs, the season series sweep of the Pack...even if we're back to TJax at QB in 2010, I wouldn't trade 2009 for much of anything.

Cue the 2-3 Packer-Backer tools asking if I'd trade it for 4-5 rings from before I was born in 5....4....3....2.... :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
The SP hate you see Jason is simply Favre, Rice, and Percy Harvin owners who already drafted for 2010. Few dynasty owners too. This is not definite but folks feel like they made choices that were based on Favre returning and "had they known" they would have done something else.
That's quite the assumption you're making. You sure the hate has nothing to do with the years of Favre jerking around his employers with the will he or won't he retirement game?
It seems MOP left out another contingent upset here. Packer and Jet fans that somehow feel jilted by the guy. Winky, which are you?
:lmao:I must be a Packer, Jets, or Vikings fan in order to understand why so much hate is being spewed for this guy?

BusterTBronco said:
If his injured ankle isn't responding to treatment, what do you expect him to do? Lie to the Vikings and tell them that he is going to play?
No I don't expect him to lie, but to drag it out this long is beyond ridiculous. But this is what Brett Favre does. He should have had the ankle surgery right away after last year then he would have known much earlier. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he just have the surgery earlier this year?
Scott72 has it right if my memory serves. I seem to recall earlier in the offseason a thread about this procedure where one of the issues that came up was when he first found out he needed surgery and under what circumstances (to play or not to play) he would need to have the surgery.Instead of delaying the ankle procedure so he could use it as an excuse to miss training camp, he should have had it early on so IF it went poorly, Minny would have a chance to reposition themselves.If this is true, I think he screwed the team. He didn't plan on his ankle not responding. But he planned on using the ankle issue as an excuse to miss training camp and his ankle not responding was a distinct and foreseeable risk of that decision. So he obviously felt missing training camp is more important than the risk he makes the team accept with his delay.
He had the surgery around May 22. A Google search shows the first article on the subject, an ESPN article, saying that having the surgery put him on schedule for training camp. It's been about 10 weeks since the surgery, which should have been enough time if the ankle was going to respond. And I don't think it was his expectation that his ankle wouldn't respond to the surgery, or he wouldn't have had it.So it isn't at all clear that he timed it such that he would miss training camp. I mean, that wouldn't be shocking, but if the ankle was responding, he may have already reported, or would be set to do so soon. I think it is more likely that he needed a certain amount of rest and time away from last season to determine if he still wanted to play, and then he scheduled the surgery.IMO a lot of people are making assumptions based on preconceptions.
Whoa, whoa, whoa... facts aren't allowed in this discussion!

ADP's value just went THUD..
:lmao: Yeah, dropped from #1 overall pick to #2 overall pick. He's still got a great line and he's not human....he's a machine. Sharks will still draft him high. Don't be cute with your top pick, guppie.
Go ahead and take him top 5 then, and expect 8 man fronts all season. He won't last long facing that. I'll pass..
This forum needs a :troll: smiley

It's really not that simple.

This.The big difference between Favre in Green Bay his last few seasons there and Favre in Minnesota?! Vikings fans knew not to fall on their swords or clink the beer steins together every time Favre sneezed or flushed. The Favre watch this off-season hasn't been much of a watch at all. A few stories here and there, but thank God ESPN was so distracted by LeBron: The Decision that they left the story alone.

Even if his ankle is a no-go and he's done, he gave us (Vikings fans) an absolutely outstanding 2009 season...and if not for a couple ADP fumbles and having to throw off one leg in the fourth quarter after a couple cheap shots by the Saints defense, we might have been toasting our fifth loss in Super Bowl history! :lmao: That San Fran game, that THRASHING of the Cowboys in the playoffs, the season series sweep of the Pack...even if we're back to TJax at QB in 2010, I wouldn't trade 2009 for much of anything.

Cue the 2-3 Packer-Backer tools asking if I'd trading it for 4-5 rings from before I was born in 5....4....3....2.... :lmao:
:lmao:

Possibly...but its always been funny in these threads where it gets blamed on Packer fans...yet you see a ton of hate from guys that are not Packer fans.As I have said in the other thread...most Packer fans here have moved on from him and are quite happy with Rodgers as our QB.The topic is still interesting as it affects the division and he is still a very strong character to discuss.
I'm sure most of Packer nation is content with Rodgers. I know I am as a defacto Packer fan from the time in St. Louis when we didn't have a team and I loved watching Don the Magic Man and Reggie White. But there is a feeling of a lack of class on Favre's part with the whole deal and this compounds it.Not at all saying that all Packer fan are in this boat. Just some of the more vocal ones....

The Vikings probably would have hoped it would happen som time between the end of the previous season and the opening of training camp for the next one, and after giving strong indications to the club that he could be nearing the end. You know, like pretty much every other great QB who cared even a tiny little bit about his employer or his teammates has done. Seriously, look up the retirement dates of all the greats who went out as starters- I'll bet they all come either immediately after the season or before training camp opens, and I'm guessing most of them gave their clubs a heads-up that they could be done well in advance.Of course, you could say that given Favre's past, Minnesota did know they were getting a player with no such concerns. So yeah, they knew what they were getting into.
Did the other QBs have their teams begging them to come back and telling them they had as much time as they wanted? Lots of stupid going on in this thread. This is a 40 year old man who suffered an ankle injury that might not be healing right. The team told him to take as long as he needed and hopefully the ankle would respond to the point he could play. The Vikings would rather him try to come back than retire and thats what he did by having the surgery.ADP's value does not go down the toilet.The Vikings will not be going after Drew Brees any harder than already would have.

Whats the under over on the numbers of time he changes his mind before week 1?

If he does not comeback the vikings are still a good team that should get 9 maybe 10 wins.

BusterTBronco said:
If his injured ankle isn't responding to treatment, what do you expect him to do? Lie to the Vikings and tell them that he is going to play?
No I don't expect him to lie, but to drag it out this long is beyond ridiculous. But this is what Brett Favre does. He should have had the ankle surgery right away after last year then he would have known much earlier. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he just have the surgery earlier this year?
Scott72 has it right if my memory serves. I seem to recall earlier in the offseason a thread about this procedure where one of the issues that came up was when he first found out he needed surgery and under what circumstances (to play or not to play) he would need to have the surgery.Instead of delaying the ankle procedure so he could use it as an excuse to miss training camp, he should have had it early on so IF it went poorly, Minny would have a chance to reposition themselves.

If this is true, I think he screwed the team. He didn't plan on his ankle not responding. But he planned on using the ankle issue as an excuse to miss training camp and his ankle not responding was a distinct and foreseeable risk of that decision.

So he obviously felt missing training camp is more important than the risk he makes the team accept with his delay.
He had the surgery around May 22. A Google search shows the first article on the subject, an ESPN article, saying that having the surgery put him on schedule for training camp. It's been about 10 weeks since the surgery, which should have been enough time if the ankle was going to respond. And I don't think it was his expectation that his ankle wouldn't respond to the surgery, or he wouldn't have had it.So it isn't at all clear that he timed it such that he would miss training camp. I mean, that wouldn't be shocking, but if the ankle was responding, he may have already reported, or would be set to do so soon. I think it is more likely that he needed a certain amount of rest and time away from last season to determine if he still wanted to play, and then he scheduled the surgery.

IMO a lot of people are making assumptions based on preconceptions.
New here?

ADP's value just went THUD..
:lmao: Yeah, dropped from #1 overall pick to #2 overall pick. He's still got a great line and he's not human....he's a machine. Sharks will still draft him high. Don't be cute with your top pick, guppie.
Go ahead and take him top 5 then, and expect 8 man fronts all season. He won't last long facing that. I'll pass..
Is this real? This is a joke right?

For all of you Dr's in the pool when should Favre have had his ankle surgery? Feb 15th, Mar 31?. For all we know a Dr told him to wait to have surgery. Do you critics have facts to back up your argument that Favre waited too long to have surgery?

Again, what does that have to do with 2008 when nobody was slinging the ball around all over the place and ADP was a monster? Did 8 man fronts stop ADP then? Why do you think they will now?
ADP's odometer is higher than it was in 2008 too. If you think team's aren't going to stack the front and concentrate on Peterson, then you don't know football at all. I don't think T-Jax has the ability to keep them honest. I'm not saying don't draft Peterson, but I am saying he's fallen out of the top 5 imo.
Did SJax move up into your top 5?
Yup..

His Odometer is higher? The guy turned 25 in March. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Please stop. You're killing me over here.
Laugh all you want and go ahead and draft him top 2. Don't say you weren't warned.

Mike Mayock is saying he doesnt think it is true. Favre has a press conference this afternoon. My guess is waffles will be served

Even if he comes out and says it's true today what are the chances he changes his mind? Or would he not have the balls to do that again?

Yup..
So teams won't be able to stack the line against St. Louis? Steven Jackson has more miles, more injuries, and much worse WRs than Minn, with or without Favre. Oh, and a rookie QB. I'm not seeing the logic here.

What a hump sending a 3 word text to teammates. I will remember him for throwing bad ints and being a tool.

Bump Sage!!!

Favre first started talking about retirement in 2002.

Could "this is it" refer to their one last chance at the Superbowl?

Seems very vague. Or maybe Brett really likes Michael Jackson films.

Yup..
So teams won't be able to stack the line against St. Louis? Steven Jackson has more miles, more injuries, and much worse WRs than Minn, with or without Favre. Oh, and a rookie QB. I'm not seeing the logic here.
I'm just toying with you man. I don't know how I'd re-arrange my draft list at this point, just saying I'm dropping AP down a few notches.

PFT's take:

Our take: Brett Favre will play

Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2010 11:32 AM ET

We've seen the reports from Judd Zulgad and Jay Glazer. We have no reason to doubt them.

Brett Favre has told the Vikings that he will not play in 2010, citing his lingering ankle problem and other physical wear and tear.

That's fine. We believe he said it. We believe he believes it.

But we also believe Favre will play again.

He'll be in the Superdome on the evening of September 9, when the Vikings face the Saints to start the 2010 season. He'll be there. He'll be in uniform. He'll play.

We believe that in part because we rarely believe anything anyone connected to the NFL says. We've developed that attitude because, on too many past occasions, a player or a coach or a G.M. or an owner says one thing, and then does the exact opposite.

As it relates to Favre, his own history supports the conclusion that he'll be back. He retired in 2008. He later reiterated his intention to call it quits, scoffing at rumors that he hoped to return for another season.

He retired in 2009. In late July, he told the Vikings that he would not join them. Then, just as many of us began to believe that he really was finished, Favre returned.

This year, whether he's consciously doing it or not, Favre needs to once again convince us that he won't come back, for two reasons.

First, he needs the Vikings fans to rejoice when Lord Favre rides in on a white steed to save the team from a return to mediocrity. And they won't rejoice unless they first believe in their hearts that Prince Graybeard isn't coming.

Second, he needs an excuse for his own potential mediocrity. In his quest to ride off into the sunset with a Lombardi Trophy tucked into the back pocket of his Wranglers, Favre fears embarrassing himself. So if he plays poorly, it can't happen because he's lost his magic. There needs to be a good reason for a Willie Mays/Joe Namath/John Unitas end to his career unrelated to whether he can still bring it.

Last year, it was a biceps tendon, along with an assortment of maladies that he cited multiple times prior to the start of the season, so that we all knew that if he stunk it up it happened because of his battle scars, not because he's no longer good enough.

This year, it's his ankle. The one on which he had supposedly minor surgery. The one that all of a sudden is preventing him from doing the stuff a quarterback does with his legs.

(Maybe he simply was concerned that he'd fail the conditioning test.)

Either way, he'll be back. We joked yesterday that maybe he wants more money. Whether he wants it or not, look for the Vikings to throw a few extra million onto the $13 million base salary he's due to earn this year. And look for anyone named Wilf to bend a knee and beg Favre to change his mind.

And then look for Favre to reluctantly comply. Possibly as late as the eve of the start of full-blown preparation for the regular-season opener, making Brett's Third Annual Unretirement the dominant story over Labor Day Weekend.

Heck, it's also possible that he never even goes to Minnesota before joining the team, and that he simply jumps the puddles between Hattiesburg to New Orleans, walks into the locker room, belts out a verse or two of Pants on the Ground, asks for a helmet, slaps a few asses, and tells his teammates that it's time to go take care of unfinished business.

When it happens, it will be dramatic. It will be memorable. It will be great.

That's precisely why Favre has decided to retire now. He knows -- whether he's even able to admit it to himself or anyone else -- that he needs to build the drama. And the drama will indeed build.

And come early September we'll all learn what we've suspected for the entire offseason.

Brett Favre will play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...play/?related=1

The OP shold add a poll, curious to see what the Shark Pool thinks about Favre chances of coming back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minnesota made a HUGE gamble to rest their hopes on Favre. The guy is 40 freaking years old and got his ankles torn up last year.

You would think that the organization would make some kind of move to get a backup.

This tells me either:

A) They believed 100% that Favre was coming back

B) They beleive in Tavaris Jackson

Jackson makes this a 8-9 win team, imo. It also significantly hurts Rice/Harvin. I don't think there's a question about that.

ADP is unaffected, and might even be a little better without Favre, who passes so much.

Favre first started talking about retirement in 2002.
:goodposting: After 8 years of his crap it grows tiresome.And honestly, how many of you are willing to bet he really is retiring? Even with these reports?

I wonder if there's a scenario where Favre could miss the first half, (on PUP list), then return for 2nd half?

Well I dropped Tavaris Jackson about a week ago.
And I picked him up a week ago. :goodposting: (Disclosure - its a 20 team dynasty that WAY overvalues QBs. He's the only arm I could get that had even a remote chance of playing)
20 Team league? I can see how QBs would be scarce since there are only 32 of them starting at any one time.
And passing TDs are worth six, so the top 20 scorers each year usually consists of 17 QBs, 2 RBs, and 1 WR...

I wonder if there's a scenario where Favre could miss the first half, (on PUP list), then return for 2nd half?
They might be able to talk him into it...not sure...once a season starts without him and he can't play til after week 6...wonder if he would see it as finally being over for sure then.

:goodposting:I must be a Packer, Jets, or Vikings fan in order to understand why so much hate is being spewed for this guy?
WHOA.... IMO, leave Jets fans out of it... I don't think he ever Jilted the Jets - they moved on and IMO, the 1 year with Favre was FANTASTIC.... I enjoyed it - I enjoyed watching Favre more than I ever have and I think people in the organization loved having a round for a season. Cotchery said it was the most fun he ever had!!!!!!THANK YOU BRETT FAVRE !!!!!

You would think Brett Favre clubbed some peoples' pet seals from the vitriol. It's kind of sad, really.
Jealousy is nothing short of ugly.Farve has never been on a team I liked and I have nothing but respect for the guy. For those that can't stand him, one day you'll miss him and realize he made the NFL a better sport. When I'm 60 years old and talking to my grandchildren about some of the great NFL players I've seen in my time, Brett Farve will be somewhere on the top of that list. A true warrior, played the game the way it was supposed to be played. I thank him for the time he gave us. I believe he has records that will NEVER be broken.

ADP is unaffected, and might even be a little better without Favre, who passes so much.
I agree with everything except this. Peterson won't score 14 TDs from inside the 3 like he did in last year's offense....but more carries and yards ala '08? Yep.

You would think Brett Favre clubbed some peoples' pet seals from the vitriol. It's kind of sad, really.
Jealousy is nothing short of ugly.Farve has never been on a team I liked and I have nothing but respect for the guy. For those that can't stand him, one day you'll miss him and realize he made the NFL a better sport. When I'm 60 years old and talking to my grandchildren about some of the great NFL players I've seen in my time, Brett Farve will be somewhere on the top of that list. A true warrior, played the game the way it was supposed to be played. I thank him for the time he gave us. I believe he has records that will NEVER be broken.
Watch out, JaMarcus might come back and start throwing picks at his normal rate :goodposting:

Wow if true. What a jerk. I think it's funny as hell as a Packer fan, but way to screw the whole Viking organization.
:goodposting: As bad as what David Patten did to the Patriots.
I dont really understand that. His ankle isn't responding the way he had hoped, there are other parts of his body that are also probably starting to hurt more now than ever but planned on playing IF the healing process would have been easier or faster. He's said all along what his intentions are, were we listening, were the Vikings listening?

Watch out, JaMarcus might come back and start throwing picks at his normal rate :goodposting:
:lmao: True, that one too may not be broken. But to throw that many picks, you'll have to play a long long time or do a lot of things right to deserve to throw those picks and still see the field.

[WHOA.... IMO, leave Jets fans out of it... I don't think he ever Jilted the Jets - they moved on and IMO, the 1 year with Favre was FANTASTIC.... I enjoyed it - I enjoyed watching Favre more than I ever have and I think people in the organization loved having a round for a season. Cotchery said it was the most fun he ever had!!!!!!THANK YOU BRETT FAVRE !!!!!
Please!

I'll take him at 5 all day long. I hope he falls.

WHOA.... IMO, leave Jets fans out of it... I don't think he ever Jilted the Jets - they moved on and IMO, the 1 year with Favre was FANTASTIC.... I enjoyed it - I enjoyed watching Favre more than I ever have and I think people in the organization loved having a round for a season. Cotchery said it was the most fun he ever had!!!!!!THANK YOU BRETT FAVRE !!!!!
That's how I feel as a Viking fan. If Brett really doesn't return this season, I still thank him for what he did for us last year! :goodposting:

That's how I feel as a Viking fan. If Brett really doesn't return this season, I still thank him for what he did for us last year! :lmao:
:goodposting: :lmao:

I asked my 7-year old son last week if he would rather go down to Detroit to see the Lions lose to the Packers or see the Lions lose to Brett Favre with the Vikings.

He said: "Brett Favre, Dad. I can always see the Lions lose to the Packers but Brett is OLD and they beat him up pretty bad last year".

Wisdom beyond his years, this one.

Users who are viewing this thread