What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre will play this year! (1 Viewer)

And I should say that I don't know for sure that he was never offered, I just haven't seen a confirmation that he was.
No, it was confirmed either last night or early this morning. I know I read the details somewhere.. I'll look for it
Details:And a pretty good article, kinda hits on all points here in the thread.

Farve in line for big pay bump

The quarterback's new contract would be worth $16.5 million as a base salary, with $3.5 million in incentives.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: August 18, 2010 - 12:23 AM

The Vikings plan to make Brett Favre's decision to return well worth his while.

The team, according to NFL sources, plans to increase Favre's base salary for this season to $16.5 million instead of the originally planned $13 million he was due under the two-year contract he signed last August.

Sources confirm he is expected to have $3.5 million worth of incentives written into his contract, incentives based on the Vikings' potential postseason success as a team, that would bring the deal to $20 million. That would mean $1 million for each season the future Hall of Fame quarterback has played in the league.

Favre was not made available to comment on Tuesday and his agent, Bus Cook, did not return messages. However, Favre said earlier this month after the Star Tribune originally reported the team would be willing to increase his salary that "it's not about the money."

Favre dealt with pain in his left ankle since undergoing arthroscopic surgery in late May but consistently pointed to his health when asked whether he would return, not always specifically mentioning his ankle.

Cook told the Associated Press on Aug. 3 there had been no negotiations on adjustments to Favre's contract before adding: "If they want to reward him, nobody's going to walk away from that. But it's not a factor in his decision."

The Vikings' potential investment in Favre is a solid one not only because of his abilities on the field but also his marketability that makes him a key piece of the Vikings' campaign for a new stadium.

He is coming off one of the best seasons of his career at the age of 40 and the Vikings felt his importance was so great that they sent veterans Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson and Ryan Longwell to Hattiesburg, Miss., on Monday night on a private jet to convince Favre to return with them. The trio returned with Favre and Favre's wife, Deanna, about 15 hours later.

This came after Vikings coach Brad Childress made two trips to Hattiesburg this offseason.

"I played a long time, I went to four Pro Bowls and I never had a coach fly down to Mississippi to talk to me in the offseason and see how I was doing," said former quarterback Rich Gannon, the NFL MVP in 2002 and now an analyst for CBS. "I think in this situation it's warranted. The reality of it is they are a much different football team with him.

"I think the other guy [Tarvaris Jackson] hasn't played enough and you look at his body of work it's just not yet a Pro Bowl quarterback. It's like I used to tell people about life insurance. Nobody likes to pay the premiums, everybody complains and moans about them and all of a sudden somebody dies and it's like, 'Boy, I'm glad we have that life insurance.'

"I think it's a little bit of a similar situation with Brett. At the end of the day it's damn nice to have the guy in the building."

Favre's teammates praised him for his attitude and leadership last season, and that isn't expected to change for a player who holds every significant passing record in NFL history and will enter this season with a league record of 285 consecutive starts.

The most immediate question that will have to be answered now is the health of Favre's ankle and whether he will be able to play in Sunday night's preseason game at San Francisco.

Last year, Favre joined the Vikings on Tuesday, Aug. 18, and played in two series only three days later. It would not be surprising if he travels with the Vikings and sees limited action against the 49ers in the nationally televised (NBC) game.

Favre was taken for a physical in Edina almost immediately upon his arrival Tuesday and the results of that exam could determine the treatment route the Vikings elect to take with his ankle.

The thing I laugh at about that article...that a 41 year old QB who is supposedly going to play his last year is part of any stadium campaign.

They were hurting at times in ticket sales before he got there...why would anyone think they might not be hurting again once he is gone?

Yeah, because increasing the probability of winning the NFC championship is ever so unrelated to financing a new stadium...

The thing I laugh at about that article...that a 41 year old QB who is supposedly going to play his last year is part of any stadium campaign.They were hurting at times in ticket sales before he got there...why would anyone think they might not be hurting again once he is gone?
Winning a SB would certainly help sell tickets... Brett at 41 can possibly help them do that... Bringing home the Lombardi could energize dormant Minny fans...

Yeah, because increasing the probability of winning the NFC championship is ever so unrelated to financing a new stadium...
Yeah, because those who would be putting up money for it are going to base long term spending on the probability of winning the NFC Championship in 2010 and then losing the QB after that with a possible lockout looming.

The thing I laugh at about that article...that a 41 year old QB who is supposedly going to play his last year is part of any stadium campaign.They were hurting at times in ticket sales before he got there...why would anyone think they might not be hurting again once he is gone?
Winning a SB would certainly help sell tickets... Brett at 41 can possibly help them do that... Bringing home the Lombardi could energize dormant Minny fans...
It could...but he is a short term boost right now, not a long term one...sure, a SB win would be a big bump, but even with him that is still a big if.

It could...but he is a short term boost right now, not a long term one...sure, a SB win would be a big bump, but even with him that is still a big if.
I don't know why you'd call it a "Big if", they are certainly a post season caliber team, and Farve is capable of great things...On another note.... you are obsessed man... lol

I don't know why you'd call it a "Big if", they are certainly a post season caliber team, and Farve is capable of great things...On another note.... you are obsessed man... lol
Because winning a Super Bowl is not an easy thing...as shown by two of the best of all time (Favre and Marino) having all of 1 title in how many years between them in the league?And thanks for again going for a personal shot.Again, this part of the topic was not about Brett but the Vikings...sorry some of you all can't handle that I do have a strong opinion of this topic.

The thing I laugh at about that article...that a 41 year old QB who is supposedly going to play his last year is part of any stadium campaign.

They were hurting at times in ticket sales before he got there...why would anyone think they might not be hurting again once he is gone?
Because winning a Super Bowl is not an easy thing...as shown by two of the best of all time (Favre and Marino) having all of 1 title in how many years between them in the league?And thanks for again going for a personal shot.

Again, this part of the topic was not about Brett but the Vikings...sorry some of you all can't handle that I do have a strong opinion of this topic.
More like you can't handle the fact we recognize it... :thumbup:

I agree that it is a short term fix for the team, but (and you'll have to excuse me for being cynical here) most voters don't think too far into the future and success may just be enough to get people excited and vote for it.

Link? I think you have that backward, Favre did not want to be in GB.

He announced his retirement and GB moved on. Those are the facts! Prove me wrong.
:lmao: Are you serious? Bob McGinn wrote about the Packers deciding before the end of the season that they were ready to move on without Favre. ESPN commentators have acknowledged it. And if Favre didn't want to be in GB please tell us what took place that summer when Favre tried to return to Packers. He did want to play in GB. :thumbup:
Easy...he was trying to force GB to release him since he knew they were all set to go with Rodgers. He wanted to play with MN soon after they lost the championship game to the Giants.Not saying Brett was wrong here. GB was the youngest team in the NFL at that time and had a young gun QB waiting in the wings. MN was/is a team of vets that ran an offense that Brett knew. Plus he knew he'd have a chance to stick it to Thompson twice a year whom Brett didn't like because he refused to kiss Favre's a***, didn't sign Moss, etc...
This is pretty much what happened as I understand it. I like to give a lot of #### to the worshippers of the quitter, but this is basically how I think it went down.

Link? I think you have that backward, Favre did not want to be in GB.

He announced his retirement and GB moved on. Those are the facts! Prove me wrong.
:lmao: Are you serious? Bob McGinn wrote about the Packers deciding before the end of the season that they were ready to move on without Favre. ESPN commentators have acknowledged it. And if Favre didn't want to be in GB please tell us what took place that summer when Favre tried to return to Packers. He did want to play in GB. :thumbup:
Link?
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29428434.htmlIt's time to go

Packers finally tell Favre that he’s not wanted

Aug. 6, 2008

Several times over the years, Brett Favre would ponder his future in football and tell people that he would play "until the Packers don't want me anymore."

Underneath all the twists and turns, sources and stories, interviews and indignities, was one salient fact that never changed:

Favre wasn't wanted in Green Bay.

It took Favre almost seven months to figure it out, but figure it out he finally did Tuesday when Mike McCarthy at last gave it to him straight.

Then Favre drove out of Lambeau Field, in all probability never to wear the No. 4 jersey again that was front and center in one of the most amazing reclamation projects in National Football League history.

Parting company with any legendary athlete is next to impossible, but one with apparent usefulness is impossible. The Packers found themselves caught in a public-relations vice, trying to distance themselves from an all-time great who just wouldn't go away.

From a purely football perspective, the organizational shift against Favre began that November night in Dallas, gained steam in the arctic cold of Soldier Field and became a blaze during Favre's pathetic second-half showing against the New York Giants with a Super Bowl there for the taking.

Just about everyone who counted in the football department reached the conclusion that Favre could never win another championship. His dismal playoff record in the past decade couldn't be overlooked. And the Packers concluded that it would be the mother of all mistakes if Aaron Rodgers got away without being properly evaluated as a starter.

Favre had one chance, and one chance only, to salvage his career in Green Bay. He had to commit wholeheartedly for another season by early March.

One could argue that the Packers erred by asking Favre for an answer that early. But having been hung out to dry by Favre too often in the past, they were in no mood for drama. Their days of mollycoddling were over.

The Packers would have taken back Favre as the starter, albeit reluctantly, if he had acted like any other player and not some diva. That is, show up for work in late March, practice until mid-June and be in exceptional condition by July 28.

That's never too much to expect.

Once Favre tearfully retired, the die was cast. The singular comment made by Favre on March 6 that remains etched indelibly was his admission that he really didn't want the ball in the clutch anymore.

After that, the Packers cut the cord, and rightly so. Favre had come across to most as an emotionally spent 38-year-old with nothing left athletically that he cared to give.

Shortly after the draft, Mike McCarthy basically told his players that he was in charge of this team, not Favre, and that it was critical to rally around Rodgers. Then Rodgers began inviting players to his home. To McCarthy, the off-season is absolutely crucial, and with his entire being he anointed Rodgers.

No matter what Favre might have tried after March 6, he couldn't have turned the tide.

When Favre made overtures in late March about a return, the Packers felt compelled to go meet with him even though in reality they had little or no interest.

In late June, when Favre phoned McCarthy to tell him he might play, the Packers probably were dying inside.

And then came the last month, with Favre formally asking for his release, finally submitting his letter for reinstatement and then flying to Green Bay on Sunday night.

The Packers blame themselves for making some communication gaffes along the way, which they did. They gave away their motives by announcing plans far too early to retire Favre's jersey and to send him his locker. Ted Thompson hid behind too many no-comments.

But when the endgame is to remove a legend, there is no smooth way of doing it.

Favre went on to risk his future as a heroic figure in the state for perpetuity by his actions last month. All but calling Thompson a liar. Revealing intimate details of conversations with Thompson and McCarthy. Selling out offensive line coach James Campen after he went out of his way to help his old pal.

During one interview, Favre criticized Thompson for not interviewing his buddy, Steve Mariucci, for the job that went to McCarthy. After the horrendous job that Mariucci did in Detroit, Thompson would have been roasted for even considering Mariucci, let alone hiring him.

Those were just a few examples of Favre operating almost in a delusional state, hearing only what he wanted to hear and acting as if he was larger than the team.

Some would say, in fact some are saying, that the Packers would be nothing and will be nothing without Favre.

Nevertheless, this was the proper time to determine if that's true by going with one of several young men over one old man. McCarthy's expertise is in quarterback play. His future, as well as Thompson's, will hinge on developing the three quarterbacks on the roster. Failing that, they must quickly find another one who can play.

Last winter, the Packers began talks with Favre about giving him at least $20 million over 10 years in exchange for shaking some hands and making a few appearances. How can a $20 million golden parachute be construed as bribery?

It was a creative step by the organization to present Favre with an honorable go-away present, but in the end became just another decision that poisoned Favre's attitude toward the club.

Against this wholly expected backdrop of ugliness, the Packers will try to get something for Favre in trade. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been interested all along, but is Favre?

If Tampa Bay stays with Jeff Garcia, the Packers might well follow up on the feeler that they sent out Friday to the Minnesota Vikings.

As for Rodgers, he needs to shape up. After a promising first three days, he had relatively bad practices Friday, Saturday and Monday sandwiched around a subpar scrimmage Sunday.

Yes, it has been an untenable situation for Rodgers. OK, so what? Now it's time for Rodgers to start performing at the level that McCarthy keeps saying that he will. There's little else but McCarthy's track record to vouch for Rodgers at this point.

Speculation that the Packers might make it an open competition between Rodgers and Favre was a farce. The club floated that idea to promote trade value as well as to placate players, fans and coaches in the unlikely event that Favre got on the practice field.

If the job had been opened to Favre, it would have meant just one thing: McCarthy had lost faith in Rodgers after the first week.

The Packers, just like every other team in the NFC North, hope to win by rushing the ball and playing defense this season.

One week after the Giants loss, it was written here that Thompson's off-season agenda contained three major items: what to do about Favre, defensive coordinator Bob Sanders and the zone run game.

Green Bay made its preferred change on the first item, remaining status quo on the other two. Sanders and the run game had better be dynamic because the quarterbacking probably won't be nearly as good as it was in 2007, when an all-time great had a very good year.

The Packers went with the odds saying Favre never would play that well again. Now they need Rodgers to pull his weight for what has the makings almost everywhere else of being another top team.
He had already retired when this article was written.

Yawn...I think everyone recognizes I have a strong opinion on the topic.What I find disturbing is some of you are so obsessed with my post count that it ends up derailing what I have actually said and turns things into the slap fighting that goes on.Perfect example is the pop ins by Beaver in this thread.

I agree that it is a short term fix for the team, but (and you'll have to excuse me for being cynical here) most voters don't think too far into the future and success may just be enough to get people excited and vote for it.
I think they have shown the reluctance as it is around there about this stadium issue. Is a SB led by a QB who will be done after it (if that were to happen) enough?I think the voters are smart enough to see that he would be gone the next year.

More like you can't handle the fact we recognize it... ;)
Yawn...I think everyone recognizes I have a strong opinion on the topic.What I find disturbing is some of you are so obsessed with my post count that it ends up derailing what I have actually said and turns things into the slap fighting that goes on.Perfect example is the pop ins by Beaver in this thread.
Your passion for the subject usually clouds or distorts and objectivity you might have. It's too easy to dismiss your good points when they're muddled by your anti-Farve/Anti-Vikings banter.. I would challenge you to find an anti-Farve media story band wagon that you weren't driving.. As of yet, every story the media has over blown has been one you've also jumped into with both feet.

I think they have shown the reluctance as it is around there about this stadium issue. Is a SB led by a QB who will be done after it (if that were to happen) enough?I think the voters are smart enough to see that he would be gone the next year.
It's about money, if they can fill the seats and the revenue flows, then they are more apt to be open to the idea. If the Viking can win a SB, which like you've said yourself is not an easy task, I'm sure the fans would be more involved.

Your passion for the subject usually clouds or distorts and objectivity you might have. It's too easy to dismiss your good points when they're muddled by your anti-Farve/Anti-Vikings banter.. I would challenge you to find an anti-Farve media story band wagon that you weren't driving.. As of yet, every story the media has over blown has been one you've also jumped into with both feet.
So basically, a point gets muddled if there is any criticism of the Vikings or Favre?And you want to question my objectivity?I have been quite fair to Favre in this thread. Only a small amount of criticism and I would not call anything I have said about him in this thread anti-favre.Seems you just get too bent out of shape at any criticism...oh well.

It's about money, if they can fill the seats and the revenue flows, then they are more apt to be open to the idea. If the Viking can win a SB, which like you've said yourself is not an easy task, I'm sure the fans would be more involved.
They would be more involved for this year...the question is, how long will that involvement last when the likely post SB would include Favre being gone and possibly a lockout next year?And this is not to bash the Vikings, they need a new stadium. Their agreement with the city sucks and they are falling way behind nearly the entire NFL in revenue. I think in 2008 they were 2nd to last in the league in revenue according to Forbes. I am not sure where they line up for 2009 as Forbes has not come out with those numbers yet that I have seen.

For my final post in this thread I'd say I am a Vikings hater and huge Packer fan but am very happy to see Favre back for one more season. He is always entertaining and the reason we watch football is to be entertained. I am also very much looking forward to the Packers getting a shot at some redemption from last season. I don't think the Packers have any fear of Favre and I expect they are all very excited to play him. I also am very hopeful that the Vikings are able to get a new stadium built - hopefully they don't #### it up like they did with that abomination they play in now.

Users who are viewing this thread