What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre will play this year! (1 Viewer)

Carolina Hustler said:
Phase of the Game said:
Jeremy said:
I think the lockerroom will probably be ok for this year, but when Favre finally does hang them up they're going to have to go into free agency or make a trade for his replacement. There's no way you can go to Sage or Javaris now and say "you're our guy" after Chilly and half the lockeroom wore off all the skin on their knees begging Favre to return.
FYI....Sage and Javaris are professional football players and not children. Every player and coach on that team know that their best chance to win is with Favre as the QB.
Professional or not...someone goes out of their way to make sure you are not the one being counted on, you lose your confidence.
Newsflash.. There are more back up players in the league then there are starters... This is not good, we might have a confidence loss of epidemic proportions...
You don't see the difference between being a backup and having your coach beg a guy to come in the first place, pick him up, give him as much time off as he wants, give in to the plays he wants called, sending 3 of your top players down to beg him to come back?Why is it that so many other people understand that difference, including super bowl winning players, but some of you on here don't...and think its somehow out of hate for Favre?

Sweet Love said:
I see both sides of this (and have no horse in this race either way), but I will tell you if the Garcia rumors were true and they did try to contact him, the writing is on the wall for Sage and Tavaris...and you know what, it should be. This is a SB-ready team and to put one of those two at the helm, is literally irresponsible. Sure, there have been average QBs to win the SB (the most recent, Dilfer and an aged Brad Johnson), but Dilfer was at the helm of a .500 team that went on a tear that would laast for years (and what did they do when they won? dumped him for a rookie) and Johnson was in a unique situation with a QB guru who could squeeze blood from a rock when it came to QB play.There are certain QBs in the league who make great backups and never got the chance to shine. Todd Collins extended what could have been a 2 year career into a 10 year one as a backup, Volek had that one chance when McNair got hurt and was not traded (to the Jets), but he is not whining anymore...sage is in the same situation. They are a rare breed; guys who put the team ahead of their personal desires; but if they are professionals and play well when called on, they can make a nice living for themselves...you could throw Batch into that group too. They are not really "jouneymen" (think Boller or Leftwitch), but true assets for the team they landed on after their initial go around failed. Sage could be in the same situation and play until he is 38 in a role like this. While he may want to start, I am guessing he will take the high road and be a good camper as he knows he provides value and is getting paid handsomely to do so.
I agree that they should expect it...and this is not out of me feeling bad for them...its a business.Its out of the thought that at some point they may be needed this season. Even with Favre, the chance is there, especially if his ankle acts up, that one of those two guys may be needed.

I know a lot of people predicted Favre would not be able to lead them to the title. Correctamundo on that one, and let's face it, that is the only prediction that really matters.
He should still be good enough to beat the Pack twice again this year :popcorn:
Could be...should be some very good games.
That lousy pass D of the packers will get shredded again. 50 points in a playoff game; making Jake Delhomme and the Browns look like the 2nd coming of Joe Montana and the Niners; Al Harris is done; no pass rush. But I am sure shonuff the homer is dreaming of a packer super bowl again :lmao:
Ahh, sweetness is back with his usual big talk.BTW, where were the Bears during the playoffs while Green Bay was playing? Oh yeah, at home with the QB that led the league in INTs...with a worse D than the Bears had...how did the Bears fare against that lousy pass D? Cutler seemed to have problems with it.Oh, and talking about what happened in one drive of a preseason game? Hilarious.And I have not said anything about SB...GB is definitely in the mix but has to prove several things (like improving the pass D and Oline play) before they get there. What a homer of me for saying such a thing though.

Carolina Hustler said:
Phase of the Game said:
Jeremy said:
I think the lockerroom will probably be ok for this year, but when Favre finally does hang them up they're going to have to go into free agency or make a trade for his replacement. There's no way you can go to Sage or Javaris now and say "you're our guy" after Chilly and half the lockeroom wore off all the skin on their knees begging Favre to return.
FYI....Sage and Javaris are professional football players and not children. Every player and coach on that team know that their best chance to win is with Favre as the QB.
Professional or not...someone goes out of their way to make sure you are not the one being counted on, you lose your confidence.
Newsflash.. There are more back up players in the league then there are starters... This is not good, we might have a confidence loss of epidemic proportions...
You don't see the difference between being a backup and having your coach beg a guy to come in the first place, pick him up, give him as much time off as he wants, give in to the plays he wants called, sending 3 of your top players down to beg him to come back?Why is it that so many other people understand that difference, including super bowl winning players, but some of you on here don't...and think its somehow out of hate for Favre?
NFL teams court high profile free agents all the time... Courting Farve to come back and play is no different then that, someone else would have had that job but doesn't anymore...

NFL teams court high profile free agents all the time... Courting Farve to come back and play is no different then that, someone else would have had that job but doesn't anymore...
NFL teams court free agents sure...any to the level of the "courting" that took place this year? I don't think so.But some of you can keep living in denial and thinking there is nothing wrong with how the Vikings handled this. Many many many others (and from what I have seen its not even a majority that are Packer fans) are laughing at how Minny conducted themselves in this. (writers, ex players, and so on)

cr8f said:
ang12 said:
David Dodds said:
The Meeting...Owner slides over the briefcase with $10MChilly: How's the ankle?Favre: I think it's over for me. It's just not responding to treatment.Owner adds box with another $4MChilly: How's the ankle?Favre: You know I want to play. I bleed this game. I just don't know that I can.Owner pulls out deeds to his yacht, 10 cars and throws in all in his credit cardsChilly: How's the ankle?Favre: It's starting to respond. I don't think I can practice on it, but hopefully it can heal in time.Owner signs over 10% of the team and throws it on the stackChilly: How's the ankle?Favre: No problems at all sir.
Don't forget the 3-man massage team Chilly sent down there to give him a happy ending.
The players wives? Hookers?
one in the same...

NFL teams court free agents sure...any to the level of the "courting" that took place this year? I don't think so.But some of you can keep living in denial and thinking there is nothing wrong with how the Vikings handled this. Many many many others (and from what I have seen its not even a majority that are Packer fans) are laughing at how Minny conducted themselves in this. (writers, ex players, and so on)
How often is a QB available on free agency that can play at that level? The most important position on the team, and one of the top QB's in the league... I'm sure he was worth a little extra courtship...You're begging for some reason to find fault there... Give it a break, this is a smart move on the part of the Vikings, they have a chance to go all the way with Farve in play. With Sage or TJ, not so much...If they win the Super Bowl this year you'll still have some gripe. You had gripes last year and the world didn't end. I'm sure things will be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh...there was no courtship. The Vikings brass are smarter than everyone thinks. It's not conspiracy, just good PR.

Favre was always going to come back, period. You don't get that close with that good of a team and call it quits after throwing another season ending interception.

Favre doesnt want to do the camps, that's obvious. The Vikings dont want to publicly come out and say they are okay with Favre taking the time off and not being a team player in camp. That would hurt team morale and give them unwanted publicity. So they go along with the plan: Favre's ankle and him debating whether to retire for good.

Sending three players down there and Favre makes a decision to come up the very next day and start practicing...no. Doesnt happen. All for show. Favre comes back, Percy's headaches go away, Rice's hip is back to normal, Vikings have another great season.

Boom. Done. Show's over, stop believing there's more to the story, there isnt. The reason it became an issue in Green Bay was because they werent going to put up with it anymore, the Vikings allowed it.

Ugh...there was no courtship. The Vikings brass are smarter than everyone thinks. It's not conspiracy, just good PR.Favre was always going to come back, period. You don't get that close with that good of a team and call it quits after throwing another season ending interception.Favre doesnt want to do the camps, that's obvious. The Vikings dont want to publicly come out and say they are okay with Favre taking the time off and not being a team player in camp. That would hurt team morale and give them unwanted publicity. So they go along with the plan: Favre's ankle and him debating whether to retire for good.Sending three players down there and Favre makes a decision to come up the very next day and start practicing...no. Doesnt happen. All for show. Favre comes back, Percy's headaches go away, Rice's hip is back to normal, Vikings have another great season. Boom. Done. Show's over, stop believing there's more to the story, there isnt. The reason it became an issue in Green Bay was because they werent going to put up with it anymore, the Vikings allowed it.
Seems weird the Vikings would give him a few extra million (if the rumor is true) under this scenario.And I don't get how Harvin and Rice's injuries figure into this scheme between Favre and the Vikings.Maybe it really is as simple as drama queen Favre stringing the Vikes along like he has his past 2 teams for the last several years.

How often is a QB available on free agency that can play at that level? The most important position on the team, and one of the top QB's in the league... I'm sure he was worth a little extra courtship...You're begging for some reason to find fault there... Give it a break, this is a smart move on the part of the Vikings, they have a chance to go all the way with Farve in play. With Sage or TJ, not so much...If they win the Super Bowl this year you'll still have some gripe. You had gripes last year and the world didn't end. I'm sure things will be just fine.
Im not begging for any reason. I am telling you the reason there is fault with how the Vikings handle it...just as guys like Bruschi and Pierce (I think it was) did...and several other writers and those on radio and TV over the last day and a half.But Im sure they are all just Packer fan/Favre haters right? Eventhough Im not even criticizing Favre in this.

But far from being furious about it, Jackson says he's indifferent to the fact that three of his teammates took the day off practice today to go get Favre."Honestly, I really don't care," Jackson said. "I feel like if my number is called I'll be ready and I'm going to continue to try and work hard and get better. That's all I can do. My teammates, that's their prerogative. I can't really control that. I'm just going to do my part."
He says he doesn't care, but I don't see how anyone couldn't be discouraged in his situation.
:lmao: Who gives a ####! Favre is better, much better, and this is the pros.

BeaverCleaver said:
Eventhough Im not even criticizing Favre in this.
You are a ####### idiot
Same old Beaver...I don't think June and Ward would be happy with your behavior.Thanks for the quote parse and your classy behavior...but you appear to be the one without a clue.

Of course, most of the people around here #####ing about how Favre handled this or that, or how Minny did were the same ones crying that Favre couldn't play anymore before last season.

Many just wanna #####. Period.

We get it.

Really, most of this was media nonsense in search of a story that wasn't very interesting.

Favre was on the roster the whole time and there is zero evidence he has ever been motivated by money.

Settle down boys... Pack kissed Favre's butt long before the Vikings.

Favre can still play. He makes the NFL better. I'm glad he is back.

<-- closet Sidney Rice owner

Damn sho-nuff... for years I've seen you criticize Favre. As a Packer fan, I guess you have an axe to grind but give it a rest. Please?

Im not begging for any reason. I am telling you the reason there is fault with how the Vikings handle it...just as guys like Bruschi and Pierce (I think it was) did...and several other writers and those on radio and TV over the last day and a half.But Im sure they are all just Packer fan/Favre haters right? Eventhough Im not even criticizing Favre in this.
This will all be forgotten in a week, just like the last Farve/Vikings incident (misinterpreted text, and 24hrs to explain...) that had you so worked up. It's just a big media story nothing more...

Damn sho-nuff... for years I've seen you criticize Favre. As a Packer fan, I guess you have an axe to grind but give it a rest. Please?
sho has no clue...he really doesn't when it comes to this.
Sho is not clueless, but has taken a hard stance on this point so he's going to defend his position.. right or wrong..Farve wounded him, previously he's explain how much he loved Farve, at least when he was a Packer, what Packer fan didn't.. He's just having a hard time letting go of that pain. It's like when if you first love breaks up with you and starts dating that guy you've always despised.. That's going to hurt for a while..Sho, I'm sad for your broken heart, but you have a new lover now. Let Aaron fill that empty void. He'll never be a Brett Farve but he's trying, don't reject that effort... Embrace him... If you can't be with the one you love, Love the one your with... Love the one you're with Sho..

Of course, most of the people around here #####ing about how Favre handled this or that, or how Minny did were the same ones crying that Favre couldn't play anymore before last season.Many just wanna #####. Period.We get it. Really, most of this was media nonsense in search of a story that wasn't very interesting.Favre was on the roster the whole time and there is zero evidence he has ever been motivated by money.
So not interesting that it caused 2 days of people talking about it on message boards and call in shows?All from a possible text or joke 2 weeks ago?I think the story is quite interesting because of its effect on the league.I agree that he is not motivated by money...that just seemed like that extra effort by the Vikings to ensure he would play.

Settle down boys... Pack kissed Favre's butt long before the Vikings.Favre can still play. He makes the NFL better. I'm glad he is back.<-- closet Sidney Rice ownerDamn sho-nuff... for years I've seen you criticize Favre. As a Packer fan, I guess you have an axe to grind but give it a rest. Please?
Please point to where I am criticizing him?I have defended him far more than criticizing him in this thread.My only criticism was a small one that got blown out of proportion as far as how long it took he and Bus to respond 2 weeks ago_Other than that, I have had no problem with Favre this offseason. My beef has been with the Vikings and what I and many believe was a poorly handled situation which could make them weak in the future.

This will all be forgotten in a week, just like the last Farve/Vikings incident (misinterpreted text, and 24hrs to explain...) that had you so worked up. It's just a big media story nothing more...
It could be, no denial in that.And that text seemed to have you worked up, or at least my opinion of it got your worked up a bit.As for the media story...its obviously more than that.The media has a strong bit of blame in how they overblow this...but its not just all some big media blowing up of something that is not there.

A. Are you going to actually add to the topic or continue your course of action of doing nothing but bashing me?B. I guess that means guys like Bruschi and countless others in this thread and on the radio the last day also have no clue of the possible ramifications?Sorry, I do have a clue, this is not some wild conspiracy I just chose to believe in.

Sho is not clueless, but has taken a hard stance on this point so he's going to defend his position.. right or wrong..Farve wounded him, previously he's explain how much he loved Farve, at least when he was a Packer, what Packer fan didn't.. He's just having a hard time letting go of that pain. It's like when if you first love breaks up with you and starts dating that guy you've always despised.. That's going to hurt for a while..Sho, I'm sad for your broken heart, but you have a new lover now. Let Aaron fill that empty void. He'll never be a Brett Farve but he's trying, don't reject that effort... Embrace him... If you can't be with the one you love, Love the one your with... Love the one you're with Sho..
Don't try digging into a psyche you don't have a clue about please.Lets keep this on topic and not about me.Favre is still my all time favorite player. Im past the so-called pain of Favre and very happy with Aaron Rodgers as the QB of the Green Bay Packers.So again, can we stop the attempted psychology lesson and actually speak on the topic and things I have actually said?

Sho is not clueless, but has taken a hard stance on this point so he's going to defend his position.. right or wrong..

Farve wounded him, previously he's explain how much he loved Farve, at least when he was a Packer, what Packer fan didn't.. He's just having a hard time letting go of that pain. It's like when if you first love breaks up with you and starts dating that guy you've always despised.. That's going to hurt for a while..

Sho, I'm sad for your broken heart, but you have a new lover now. Let Aaron fill that empty void. He'll never be a Brett Farve but he's trying, don't reject that effort... Embrace him... If you can't be with the one you love, Love the one your with... Love the one you're with Sho..
Don't try digging into a psyche you don't have a clue about please.Lets keep this on topic and not about me.

Favre is still my all time favorite player. Im past the so-called pain of Favre and very happy with Aaron Rodgers as the QB of the Green Bay Packers.

So again, can we stop the attempted psychology lesson and actually speak on the topic and things I have actually said?
:lmao:
Maybe I'm the only one that found that funny..

Ugh...there was no courtship. The Vikings brass are smarter than everyone thinks. It's not conspiracy, just good PR.

Favre was always going to come back, period. You don't get that close with that good of a team and call it quits after throwing another season ending interception.

Favre doesnt want to do the camps, that's obvious. The Vikings dont want to publicly come out and say they are okay with Favre taking the time off and not being a team player in camp. That would hurt team morale and give them unwanted publicity. So they go along with the plan: Favre's ankle and him debating whether to retire for good.

Sending three players down there and Favre makes a decision to come up the very next day and start practicing...no. Doesnt happen. All for show. Favre comes back, Percy's headaches go away, Rice's hip is back to normal, Vikings have another great season.

Boom. Done. Show's over, stop believing there's more to the story, there isnt. The reason it became an issue in Green Bay was because they werent going to put up with it anymore, the Vikings allowed it.
He did exactly that with Green Bay.

Situation was a bit different though, they didn't seem to want him back in 2008. Seemed like they were ready to play Rogers at that point.

Situation was a bit different though, they didn't seem to want him back in 2008. Seemed like they were ready to play Rogers at that point.
Favre retired in 2008 (he made his decision early) that is a big difference.

Not really.....Favre knew he wasn't wanted back in Green Bay.

Link? I think you have that backward, Favre did not want to be in GB.He announced his retirement and GB moved on. Those are the facts! Prove me wrong.

Link? I think you have that backward, Favre did not want to be in GB.He announced his retirement and GB moved on. Those are the facts! Prove me wrong.
:P Are you serious? Bob McGinn wrote about the Packers deciding before the end of the season that they were ready to move on without Favre. ESPN commentators have acknowledged it. And if Favre didn't want to be in GB please tell us what took place that summer when Favre tried to return to Packers. He did want to play in GB. :popcorn:

Yeah he did. There are pictures of it all over the innerwebs. Just google "favre crying."

Link? I think you have that backward, Favre did not want to be in GB.

He announced his retirement and GB moved on. Those are the facts! Prove me wrong.
:cry: Are you serious? Bob McGinn wrote about the Packers deciding before the end of the season that they were ready to move on without Favre. ESPN commentators have acknowledged it. And if Favre didn't want to be in GB please tell us what took place that summer when Favre tried to return to Packers. He did want to play in GB. :rolleyes:
Link?

Ugh...there was no courtship. The Vikings brass are smarter than everyone thinks. It's not conspiracy, just good PR.Favre was always going to come back, period. You don't get that close with that good of a team and call it quits after throwing another season ending interception.Favre doesnt want to do the camps, that's obvious. The Vikings dont want to publicly come out and say they are okay with Favre taking the time off and not being a team player in camp. That would hurt team morale and give them unwanted publicity. So they go along with the plan: Favre's ankle and him debating whether to retire for good.Sending three players down there and Favre makes a decision to come up the very next day and start practicing...no. Doesnt happen. All for show. Favre comes back, Percy's headaches go away, Rice's hip is back to normal, Vikings have another great season. Boom. Done. Show's over, stop believing there's more to the story, there isnt. The reason it became an issue in Green Bay was because they werent going to put up with it anymore, the Vikings allowed it.
Good PR? You don't think Vikings ownership and Chilly came out looking desperate and weak?

He announced his retirement and GB moved on. Those are the facts! Prove me wrong.
:rolleyes: Are you serious? Bob McGinn wrote about the Packers deciding before the end of the season that they were ready to move on without Favre. ESPN commentators have acknowledged it. And if Favre didn't want to be in GB please tell us what took place that summer when Favre tried to return to Packers. He did want to play in GB. :shrug:
Link?
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29428434.htmlIt's time to go

Packers finally tell Favre that he’s not wanted

Aug. 6, 2008

Several times over the years, Brett Favre would ponder his future in football and tell people that he would play "until the Packers don't want me anymore."

Underneath all the twists and turns, sources and stories, interviews and indignities, was one salient fact that never changed:

Favre wasn't wanted in Green Bay.

It took Favre almost seven months to figure it out, but figure it out he finally did Tuesday when Mike McCarthy at last gave it to him straight.

Then Favre drove out of Lambeau Field, in all probability never to wear the No. 4 jersey again that was front and center in one of the most amazing reclamation projects in National Football League history.

Parting company with any legendary athlete is next to impossible, but one with apparent usefulness is impossible. The Packers found themselves caught in a public-relations vice, trying to distance themselves from an all-time great who just wouldn't go away.

From a purely football perspective, the organizational shift against Favre began that November night in Dallas, gained steam in the arctic cold of Soldier Field and became a blaze during Favre's pathetic second-half showing against the New York Giants with a Super Bowl there for the taking.

Just about everyone who counted in the football department reached the conclusion that Favre could never win another championship. His dismal playoff record in the past decade couldn't be overlooked. And the Packers concluded that it would be the mother of all mistakes if Aaron Rodgers got away without being properly evaluated as a starter.

Favre had one chance, and one chance only, to salvage his career in Green Bay. He had to commit wholeheartedly for another season by early March.

One could argue that the Packers erred by asking Favre for an answer that early. But having been hung out to dry by Favre too often in the past, they were in no mood for drama. Their days of mollycoddling were over.

The Packers would have taken back Favre as the starter, albeit reluctantly, if he had acted like any other player and not some diva. That is, show up for work in late March, practice until mid-June and be in exceptional condition by July 28.

That's never too much to expect.

Once Favre tearfully retired, the die was cast. The singular comment made by Favre on March 6 that remains etched indelibly was his admission that he really didn't want the ball in the clutch anymore.

After that, the Packers cut the cord, and rightly so. Favre had come across to most as an emotionally spent 38-year-old with nothing left athletically that he cared to give.

Shortly after the draft, Mike McCarthy basically told his players that he was in charge of this team, not Favre, and that it was critical to rally around Rodgers. Then Rodgers began inviting players to his home. To McCarthy, the off-season is absolutely crucial, and with his entire being he anointed Rodgers.

No matter what Favre might have tried after March 6, he couldn't have turned the tide.

When Favre made overtures in late March about a return, the Packers felt compelled to go meet with him even though in reality they had little or no interest.

In late June, when Favre phoned McCarthy to tell him he might play, the Packers probably were dying inside.

And then came the last month, with Favre formally asking for his release, finally submitting his letter for reinstatement and then flying to Green Bay on Sunday night.

The Packers blame themselves for making some communication gaffes along the way, which they did. They gave away their motives by announcing plans far too early to retire Favre's jersey and to send him his locker. Ted Thompson hid behind too many no-comments.

But when the endgame is to remove a legend, there is no smooth way of doing it.

Favre went on to risk his future as a heroic figure in the state for perpetuity by his actions last month. All but calling Thompson a liar. Revealing intimate details of conversations with Thompson and McCarthy. Selling out offensive line coach James Campen after he went out of his way to help his old pal.

During one interview, Favre criticized Thompson for not interviewing his buddy, Steve Mariucci, for the job that went to McCarthy. After the horrendous job that Mariucci did in Detroit, Thompson would have been roasted for even considering Mariucci, let alone hiring him.

Those were just a few examples of Favre operating almost in a delusional state, hearing only what he wanted to hear and acting as if he was larger than the team.

Some would say, in fact some are saying, that the Packers would be nothing and will be nothing without Favre.

Nevertheless, this was the proper time to determine if that's true by going with one of several young men over one old man. McCarthy's expertise is in quarterback play. His future, as well as Thompson's, will hinge on developing the three quarterbacks on the roster. Failing that, they must quickly find another one who can play.

Last winter, the Packers began talks with Favre about giving him at least $20 million over 10 years in exchange for shaking some hands and making a few appearances. How can a $20 million golden parachute be construed as bribery?

It was a creative step by the organization to present Favre with an honorable go-away present, but in the end became just another decision that poisoned Favre's attitude toward the club.

Against this wholly expected backdrop of ugliness, the Packers will try to get something for Favre in trade. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been interested all along, but is Favre?

If Tampa Bay stays with Jeff Garcia, the Packers might well follow up on the feeler that they sent out Friday to the Minnesota Vikings.

As for Rodgers, he needs to shape up. After a promising first three days, he had relatively bad practices Friday, Saturday and Monday sandwiched around a subpar scrimmage Sunday.

Yes, it has been an untenable situation for Rodgers. OK, so what? Now it's time for Rodgers to start performing at the level that McCarthy keeps saying that he will. There's little else but McCarthy's track record to vouch for Rodgers at this point.

Speculation that the Packers might make it an open competition between Rodgers and Favre was a farce. The club floated that idea to promote trade value as well as to placate players, fans and coaches in the unlikely event that Favre got on the practice field.

If the job had been opened to Favre, it would have meant just one thing: McCarthy had lost faith in Rodgers after the first week.

The Packers, just like every other team in the NFC North, hope to win by rushing the ball and playing defense this season.

One week after the Giants loss, it was written here that Thompson's off-season agenda contained three major items: what to do about Favre, defensive coordinator Bob Sanders and the zone run game.

Green Bay made its preferred change on the first item, remaining status quo on the other two. Sanders and the run game had better be dynamic because the quarterbacking probably won't be nearly as good as it was in 2007, when an all-time great had a very good year.

The Packers went with the odds saying Favre never would play that well again. Now they need Rodgers to pull his weight for what has the makings almost everywhere else of being another top team.

:rolleyes: Are you serious? Bob McGinn wrote about the Packers deciding before the end of the season that they were ready to move on without Favre. ESPN commentators have acknowledged it. And if Favre didn't want to be in GB please tell us what took place that summer when Favre tried to return to Packers. He did want to play in GB. :shrug:
Easy...he was trying to force GB to release him since he knew they were all set to go with Rodgers. He wanted to play with MN soon after they lost the championship game to the Giants.Not saying Brett was wrong here. GB was the youngest team in the NFL at that time and had a young gun QB waiting in the wings. MN was/is a team of vets that ran an offense that Brett knew. Plus he knew he'd have a chance to stick it to Thompson twice a year whom Brett didn't like because he refused to kiss Favre's a***, didn't sign Moss, etc...

From that article:
Bevell couldn’t quite go along with the charade, pushing the explanation on Childress. “I came out here and [Childress] told me he had the other guys inside,” Bevell said, referring to the three players. “They were in the building. I came out to practice, Coach said they were inside.” That little bit of misdirection didn’t get much attention, but it raised a lot of eyebrows inside the Vikings’ locker room.

“Chilly can’t even tell the truth about that,” the player said. “I mean, how ridiculous is that? What’s the big deal that he has to lie? Worse, he has to tell other guys to lie for him?”

In short, even as Minnesota’s best hope to win a Super Bowl this season was rejoining the team, Childress was losing more ground with his team in the battle for respect. One of the biggest issues playing out behind the scenes in Minnesota is that many players, particularly on offense, have no respect for Childress. Among those players is Favre, who officially returned to the team Wednesday. According to multiple team sources, Favre’s disdain for Childress is deep.

“Brett thinks Childress has no clue about offense,” a Vikings player said.

Good PR? You don't think Vikings ownership and Chilly came out looking desperate and weak?
Not as much if they just came out and said: "Brett's our guy, we are going to let him relax on his ranch while everyone else on the team has to come out to training camp." A lot better than just coming right out and say that Brett gets preferential treatment because...you know...Brett Favre.

Clearly he recognized that Green Bay was on a downswing, and thought he'd leave. He was right, 6-10 the next year, 1st round exit in the playoffs the next year. However, what you're discounting is that he wanted to come back and try to save that team like he did the year before, but was asked to leave by people who had hardened their hearts.

Childress is a knucklehead. Haven't most of us known this for years already? I still chuckle at what an idiot he is that the Vikings got that 12 men in the huddle penalty in the NFC title game at that point and time of the game. :goodposting:

It seems like a distant memory from 3-4 years ago when Chilly rode into town with his tough guy act, speaking of the "culture of accountability", and immediately brought the hammer down on Culpepper for rehabbing in Florida rather than with the team in Minnesota. I'm very happy Favre is back - it means the Vikings will be good and we'll get some good entertainment as Favre is 100% certain to deliver. But its very hard to deny that organization looks a bit foolish these days in my opinion.

One question I am waiting for an answer on. We read that the Vikings bumped Favre's salary up by 3 or 4 mil this season (depending on the source) to encourage him to report to camp. Has that been confirmed?

No concept of reality
Its possible he is right. Aikman seemed to think so based on his conversations with Favre last year and reported as such.I think a few things...the team was ready to move on with Rodgers, but would not object if Favre had come back. They were not going to beg and plead for him, but if he wanted back, they wanted to know and go from there.

With Favre, I don't think he felt Thompson would ever do what Favre thought it would take to win and I don't think he minded the thought that much of going elsewhere.

CletiusMaximus said:
One question I am waiting for an answer on. We read that the Vikings bumped Favre's salary up by 3 or 4 mil this season (depending on the source) to encourage him to report to camp. Has that been confirmed?
No, it has not been confirmed.

CletiusMaximus said:
Unless they are dumb enough to "take it back" can't see Favre and Bus (or anyone in their position) saying, well, eventhough you offered, Im going to decline the extra cash.

CletiusMaximus said:
Unless they are dumb enough to "take it back" can't see Favre and Bus (or anyone in their position) saying, well, eventhough you offered, Im going to decline the extra cash.
But the point is...he was never offered the extra money.

CletiusMaximus said:
Ok, I thought it was "offered" just we had not heard if the contract had actually been redone.

CletiusMaximus said:
Ok, I thought it was "offered" just we had not heard if the contract had actually been redone.
And I should say that I don't know for sure that he was never offered, I just haven't seen a confirmation that he was.

Users who are viewing this thread