What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Plans (1 Viewer)

TDCommish

Footballguy
I paid $34.95 for "Footballguys Season Long Pro" One Season Subscription last year which included dynasty and IDP content.

The Pro plan this year is $47.88 and does not seem to include dynasty and IDP content.

The Elite plan this year is $71.88 which includes dynasty and IDP content.

Last year's Pro plan seems to be the Elite plan this year and is over a 100% increase from last year, $71.88 versus $34.95.

Am I missing something here?

I paid $34.95 for "Footballguys Season Long Pro" One Season Subscription last year which included dynasty and IDP content.

The Pro plan this year is $47.88 and does not seem to include dynasty and IDP content.

The Elite plan this year is $71.88 which includes dynasty and IDP content.

Last year's Pro plan seems to be the Elite plan this year and is over a 100% increase from last year, $71.88 versus $34.95.

Am I missing something here?
I noticed the same thing when I just re-upped. I bought the lowest level plan like I usually do and then noticed I couldn’t check the rookie rankings.  So I had to upgrade to elite. So, yes, seems like it did change quite a bit this year. 

This has been argued every year. The price goes up and the content hasn't really improved. I also think losing Dodds was HUGE. I loved Dodds work.

I still pay the early bird special, but it's getting harder to do each year. There is a lot of free content available, but also more sites are charging as well.

I honestly feel like there may be better paid content out there, but I am too lazy to research it and I almost feel like I have to stick with FBG since I have been here since the "cheatsheet" days. 

Wow, that is a bit crazy of a jump.  I wonder if the early bird discount was done before they ended up at these plans and price points so you got even a better deal than you can now that getting all the season long stuff is over $70.

I bought the Hall of Fame plan but it doesn't seem to be registered for me when trying to use draft dominator right now, the draft dominator (web version) keeps prompting me to upgrade to premium.  Is anyone else having this issue, I'm wondering if maybe the new plan names aren't synced with the draft dominator or something? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I wonder if there isn't a bug with the subscriptions - I've just checked my plan in my account and it lists it as Elite, while I've checked my purchase history and it lists as season long pro?

It's over $70 right now in May and was $35 when I paid for the same plan in June 2021. 100% + increase and it looks like they moved the early bird discount back for this year.

I was on the fence about renewing my Pro plan (34.95?) and the early bird discount was $5 so I was ok with waiting and paying the $5. Based on content and features, the Pro plan is now the Elite plan at $71.88. If I had known the price was going to double, I probably would have signed up for the Early Bird. I understand the costs of things go up, but a warning would have been nice. 

cowboys85 said:
I was on the fence about renewing my Pro plan (34.95?) and the early bird discount was $5 so I was ok with waiting and paying the $5. Based on content and features, the Pro plan is now the Elite plan at $71.88. If I had known the price was going to double, I probably would have signed up for the Early Bird. I understand the costs of things go up, but a warning would have been nice. 
It’s the gas prices - it’s not cheap moving all the data around the country.

FF sites for absurd the last few years. 200, 300, even 700.

FBGs is very cheap relative to the market.

I used to spend 100 and get compd for some then up n up.

I spent a grand last year; part because I refused to go to a site that fired a worker for something she said as an idiot teenager. 

I get the feeling that they're not all worth "that much" but ya gotta admit some are super valuable. It's just where we're at with the market and all. (FBGs is cheap and high quality and not referring to them) You must, absolutely must, pause and think what do I want before you purchase.

I have always interpreted stats one way while the masses do another. On a prospective site access purchase, I'm less about opinions and more about stats n data. 

What do you want? News? CB matchup? Think that through then purchase whatever.

FBG is more like Walmart offering a ton of content all summer. Elsewhere you have to think of specialized widdled down content. 

One site loves a metric they created years ago. I don't and have proven it's indicative of jack squat. It's a great site for stat nerds so I join and ignore that content.

Another is almost entirely data based and I love it. 

I can ramble on and on

FF sites for absurd the last few years. 200, 300, even 700.

FBGs is very cheap relative to the market.

I used to spend 100 and get compd for some then up n up.

I spent a grand last year; part because I refused to go to a site that fired a worker for something she said as an idiot teenager. 

I get the feeling that they're not all worth "that much" but ya gotta admit some are super valuable. It's just where we're at with the market and all. (FBGs is cheap and high quality and not referring to them) You must, absolutely must, pause and think what do I want before you purchase.

I have always interpreted stats one way while the masses do another. On a prospective site access purchase, I'm less about opinions and more about stats n data. 

What do you want? News? CB matchup? Think that through then purchase whatever.

FBG is more like Walmart offering a ton of content all summer. Elsewhere you have to think of specialized widdled down content. 

One site loves a metric they created years ago. I don't and have proven it's indicative of jack squat. It's a great site for stat nerds so I join and ignore that content.

Another is almost entirely data based and I love it. 

I can ramble on and on

I've never spent more then $35/year for a FF advise site in 26 years.  I'm not sure where you're getting those crazy prices, but I'd advise shopping around some more. I'll spend a total of $50 between two sites and the rest I can find for free through various sites and social medias.  Really curious to know exactly what you spent a grand on fantasy advise wise. 

I've never spent more then $35/year for a FF advise site in 26 years.  I'm not sure where you're getting those crazy prices, but I'd advise shopping around some more. I'll spend a total of $50 between two sites and the rest I can find for free through various sites and social medias.  Really curious to know exactly what you spent a grand on fantasy advise wise. 
I was hit hard financially when I became a single dad so I've barely spent any $ (just like you) for probably just as long. I couldn't play in pricey contests or nffc or world championship stuff either.

Money has been good so since I love FF, I spent for a change.

FBGs, FTN and PFF, a few DFS sites that seem cheap at like 5 to 10 bucks a week but in a 17 week season it's not. Some of the DFS writers sound like used car salesmen to me and I'm hesitant about buying what they're selling but I can definitely gain from knowing what the masses will think. Generally, I joined the DFS sites to get at their data tools.

I'm really at an annoyed elderly cranky old man stage with FF. 😉 I recognize it. I don't care about yards per completion, air yards, yards per donut ate or whatever as a weekly play. I do see the value in many stats for off-season let's discuss what next year will bring but...when I'm putting in my lineups, all those young whippersnappers can keep their new fangled stats to themself. 😄

I really strongly want to see how a player generally performs against a divisional opponent. I can do that at pfr but I do love a spreadsheet or webpage right in front of me saving me time

I was hit hard financially when I became a single dad so I've barely spent any $ (just like you) for probably just as long. I couldn't play in pricey contests or nffc or world championship stuff either.

Money has been good so since I love FF, I spent for a change.

FBGs, FTN and PFF, a few DFS sites that seem cheap at like 5 to 10 bucks a week but in a 17 week season it's not. Some of the DFS writers sound like used car salesmen to me and I'm hesitant about buying what they're selling but I can definitely gain from knowing what the masses will think. Generally, I joined the DFS sites to get at their data tools.

I'm really at an annoyed elderly cranky old man stage with FF. 😉 I recognize it. I don't care about yards per completion, air yards, yards per donut ate or whatever as a weekly play. I do see the value in many stats for off-season let's discuss what next year will bring but...when I'm putting in my lineups, all those young whippersnappers can keep their new fangled stats to themself. 😄

I really strongly want to see how a player generally performs against a divisional opponent. I can do that at pfr but I do love a spreadsheet or webpage right in front of me saving me time
Ok I believe I understand better now.  I think most here are just making a comparison of the yearly cost for the fantasy advise content compared to other sites rather than the contest part of it.    

Maybe the biggest reason for the cost is the drafting and in-season management tools, but like many I'm priced out of this (possibly for apps I wouldn't use anyways).  I'd consider the cheapest option but the plans graphic makes it seem really lack luster.  Here's just some things that came to mind when looking at the plan comparisons. 

The Pro option include rookie articles but not rookie rankings, seems odd.

IDP content has been a complaint here for some years yet it's not included in the Pro option, not sure how can justify the tier jump for something that has been below average previously.

Can't see the difference from one of the several free (or even subscription) trade charts/calculators that again would justify the tier jump.  

Again, just what popped at me while glancing. 

Maybe the biggest reason for the cost is the drafting and in-season management tools, but like many I'm priced out of this (possibly for apps I wouldn't use anyways).  I'd consider the cheapest option but the plans graphic makes it seem really lack luster.  Here's just some things that came to mind when looking at the plan comparisons. 

The Pro option include rookie articles but not rookie rankings, seems odd.

IDP content has been a complaint here for some years yet it's not included in the Pro option, not sure how can justify the tier jump for something that has been below average previously.

Can't see the difference from one of the several free (or even subscription) trade charts/calculators that again would justify the tier jump.  

Again, just what popped at me while glancing. 
This is the primary reason I am disappointed in the price jump.  I would think because it has been so bad that they put it at the low tier this year with Davenport coming on board and then bump it next year if/when the content improves because of this.  

Doubling the price from last year to this year just seems a little odd.  Almost like I am missing something. 

This is the primary reason I am disappointed in the price jump.  I would think because it has been so bad that they put it at the low tier this year with Davenport coming on board and then bump it next year if/when the content improves because of this.  

Doubling the price from last year to this year just seems a little odd.  Almost like I am missing something. 
A lot of companies are taking advantage of “inflation” as a way to increase profits - people swallow the price increases a little better because everything else is going up. 

Never understood why some folks pay that kind of money for info that's generally all over the net. Never bothered even seeing what the cost was.  Wow, that's astronomical.  

So I am confused. I took advantage of the Early Bird special and paid $34.95 for the "season long pro".

That is now the Elite plan and costs $71?? Wow. 

Will @Joe Bryant ever respond?

I'm glad I'm on free membership until 2024.

Thanks for tagging me. In lots of cases, that's the main way I see a question.

A couple of things. 

The premium offerings had always been a little confusing with the Season Long Pro and the DFS Pro and there was some overlap in between on some features. And then one could purchase the All-Pro that was both plans.

Another non standard thing was the Mobile Draft Dominator App and the Mobile League Dominator App were not included in the premium subscriptions. They were separate products and cost an additional $15.99. This is obviously how most of the internet works. If you buy a Spotify premium subscription, you expect it to work on both your desktop and phone and tablet. You don't want to buy another app after you've already bought a website subscription. 

A third non standard thing was every subscription ended at the Super Bowl. So some subscriptions were 10 months long. Some were 3 months long. Again, that's a non standard thing.

So we have now have three plans here. https://www.footballguys.com/plans

They build on each other where the PRO Plan has redraft season long content. The 2nd plan is called our ELITE plan and it has all the content in the PRO plan plus content covering Dynasty, IDP, Best Ball and Auction. And the third plan is our HALL OF FAME plan and includes everything in the PRO Plan and the ELITE Plan plus our DFS content tools and apps. 

And for every level of premium subscription, full and complete versions of the Mobile Draft Dominator App and the Mobile League Dominator are included for free instead of asking customers to pay an additional $15.99 like we did last year. 

So for a customer who plays regular offensive redraft, they paid $39.95 last year and paid $15.99 to get the Mobile Apps. Today, their cost for the same content is $47.88. So for those folks, and that's the majority of our customers, their price decreased.

And now, every annual subscription runs for a full 12 months from the date of purchase. 

We also have introduced the option for people to go with monthly subscriptions if they choose. Obviously, there is a significant discount for the annual subscription. 

The other big thing we heard from folks was they wanted expanded coverage for IDP, Dynasty, Best Ball and Auction. We listened. It's why we went and added Gary Davenport for our IDP content, the guy we think was the best person out there in the space for IDP. Gary does this kind of content for his full time employment. He's not greedy, but he doesn't work for free. In the same way, folks asked for expanded Dynasty coverage and our Jeff Bell is leading that team and we're adding content and staff there. James Brimacombe is doing the same thing helping us expand our Best Ball content. While Drew Davenport is leading our Auction material.

Our ELITE level subscription is $71.88 for the year and includes the Mobile Draft Dominator App and the Mobile League Dominator which again, were $15.99 last year. That's an increase over the $55.94 a customer would have paid last year but we think the added content will make it an even better value. 

An important note, for anyone who already had purchased a subscription for this year, that would have been what we called the Season Long Pro in years past. Because in year's past the Season Long Pro included IDP, Best Ball, Dynasty and Auction content, we felt the obvious right thing to do was to upgrade their Season Long Pro subscription to a current ELITE subscription. 

We fortunately don't have physical raw materials in our product so our costs are mostly limited to people and infrastructure. But the reality for people is when cost of living is soaring, we feel it proper to adjust what we pay as well. 

We fully realize not everyone will subscribe to a premium fantasy football service. That's been our understanding since day one. There are lots of resources that provide good info. This forum is a great one. And of course, we'll continue to provide a ton of information for free. But we also are proud of our premium content and we believe it represents an outstanding value for what we deliver vs the cost. We hope lots of other folks do too but as always, the market will tell us what's correct. For all of you who help support our business, we thank you. It's folks like you that allow us to do the other things like provide this forum and our other free content. 

Thank you.

Joe Bryant said:
Thanks for tagging me. In lots of cases, that's the main way I see a question.

A couple of things. 

The premium offerings had always been a little confusing with the Season Long Pro and the DFS Pro and there was some overlap in between on some features. And then one could purchase the All-Pro that was both plans.

I disagree with that. Season long and daily fantasy are two entirely different games as far as I'm concerned. While there's a limited amount of content that'll have some overlap, there's enough completely distinct content that separating the two like you did do is easily understandable and not in the slightest bit confusing. What we've got now is a 100% price rise to get the same level of content that I do now, which is one hell of a jump. Even if you play the most vanilla of vanilla leagues and can make do with just the new Pro level, it's still going up by a third (compared to the early bird pricing).

It's all very well saying that we're chucking in the mobile apps, but that's only relevant if you actually used them, or will actually use them now compared to either using the PC version or using nothing previously. From someone who avoids using a mobile app for anything (as they pretty much universally suck compared to a PC variant or, if you're on a phone and have no other option, still usually suck compared to doing the same thing in a mobile browser), it adds no value.

I guess whether I renew next year will depend on how good the dynasty content is, although with my rookie draft already in the book I think a key part of the value of it will already be irrelevant

I disagree with that. Season long and daily fantasy are two entirely different games as far as I'm concerned. While there's a limited amount of content that'll have some overlap, there's enough completely distinct content that separating the two like you did do is easily understandable and not in the slightest bit confusing. What we've got now is a 100% price rise to get the same level of content that I do now, which is one hell of a jump. Even if you play the most vanilla of vanilla leagues and can make do with just the new Pro level, it's still going up by a third (compared to the early bird pricing).

It's all very well saying that we're chucking in the mobile apps, but that's only relevant if you actually used them, or will actually use them now compared to either using the PC version or using nothing previously. From someone who avoids using a mobile app for anything (as they pretty much universally suck compared to a PC variant or, if you're on a phone and have no other option, still usually suck compared to doing the same thing in a mobile browser), it adds no value.

I guess whether I renew next year will depend on how good the dynasty content is, although with my rookie draft already in the book I think a key part of the value of it will already be irrelevant

Thanks for the feedback there. I know a lot of mobile apps aren't great but I think our Mobile Draft Dominator and Mobile League Dominator are outstanding. And offer a great experience. We're excited about expanding the Dynasty content and already have things like way more rankings online for the Rookie Draft for Dynasty leagues. We currently have 14 sets of current Rookie rankings which is 3x more than we've had in past years. Thanks for considering us and we'll do our best to deliver great value. 

@Joe BryantI really like Footballguys and have been a customer for many, many years(20?). My subscription is already paid for for this year, but I hope some of the pricing and packaging will be reconsidered next year. I'm not at all interested in the IDP, DFS or the Apps and don't want to pay for them. I use the forum, pods, redraft & dynasty rankings and that is pretty much it. I know you guys work hard and produce quality product; certainly your employees should earn a good wage. Just letting you know that some of your customers play a lot of dynasty and redraft and like to get a wide range of opinions. I subscribe to multiple service, but have begun to cut back this year for the first time. I dropped two I didn't feel I was getting enough bang for the buck for, but I still use four different ones. I like to reward people in the industry who do good work and try to do that in various ways wherever I can. I came to FBG for redraft and then dynasty which I think is your bread and butter and I hope next year you might consider a package tailored to just that. Thanks for listening!

@Joe BryantI really like Footballguys and have been a customer for many, many years(20?). My subscription is already paid for for this year, but I hope some of the pricing and packaging will be reconsidered next year. I'm not at all interested in the IDP, DFS or the Apps and don't want to pay for them. I use the forum, pods, redraft & dynasty rankings and that is pretty much it. I know you guys work hard and produce quality product; certainly your employees should earn a good wage. Just letting you know that some of your customers play a lot of dynasty and redraft and like to get a wide range of opinions. I subscribe to multiple service, but have begun to cut back this year for the first time. I dropped two I didn't feel I was getting enough bang for the buck for, but I still use four different ones. I like to reward people in the industry who do good work and try to do that in various ways wherever I can. I came to FBG for redraft and then dynasty which I think is your bread and butter and I hope next year you might consider a package tailored to just that. Thanks for listening!

Thanks. Feedback is always appreciated. For sure, we're not able to do what everyone wants. But we always appreciate folks taking the time to share their feedback. Thank you. 

I decided not to renew after who knows how many years.  Price increase is off the charts with diminishing functionality (and maybe coherence) of the tools I used to rely on.  I don't have a backup plan yet, which is a bummer.  But, this was a disappointing surprise to me and simply not worth it despite, I dunno, maybe a 10 year run?

Joe Bryant said:
So we have now have three plans here. https://www.footballguys.com/plans

They build on each other where the PRO Plan has redraft season long content. The 2nd plan is called our ELITE plan and it has all the content in the PRO plan plus content covering Dynasty, IDP, Best Ball and Auction. And the third plan is our HALL OF FAME plan and includes everything in the PRO Plan and the ELITE Plan plus our DFS content tools and apps. 

And for every level of premium subscription, full and complete versions of the Mobile Draft Dominator App and the Mobile League Dominator are included for free instead of asking customers to pay an additional $15.99 like we did last year. 

So for a customer who plays regular offensive redraft, they paid $39.95 last year and paid $15.99 to get the Mobile Apps. Today, their cost for the same content is $47.88. So for those folks, and that's the majority of our customers, their price decreased.

And now, every annual subscription runs for a full 12 months from the date of purchase. 

We also have introduced the option for people to go with monthly subscriptions if they choose. Obviously, there is a significant discount for the annual subscription. 

The other big thing we heard from folks was they wanted expanded coverage for IDP, Dynasty, Best Ball and Auction. We listened. It's why we went and added Gary Davenport for our IDP content, the guy we think was the best person out there in the space for IDP. Gary does this kind of content for his full time employment. He's not greedy, but he doesn't work for free. In the same way, folks asked for expanded Dynasty coverage and our Jeff Bell is leading that team and we're adding content and staff there. James Brimacombe is doing the same thing helping us expand our Best Ball content. While Drew Davenport is leading our Auction material.

Our ELITE level subscription is $71.88 for the year and includes the Mobile Draft Dominator App and the Mobile League Dominator which again, were $15.99 last year. That's an increase over the $55.94 a customer would have paid last year but we think the added content will make it an even better value. 

An important note, for anyone who already had purchased a subscription for this year, that would have been what we called the Season Long Pro in years past. Because in year's past the Season Long Pro included IDP, Best Ball, Dynasty and Auction content, we felt the obvious right thing to do was to upgrade their Season Long Pro subscription to a current ELITE subscription. 

We fortunately don't have physical raw materials in our product so our costs are mostly limited to people and infrastructure. But the reality for people is when cost of living is soaring, we feel it proper to adjust what we pay as well. 

We fully realize not everyone will subscribe to a premium fantasy football service. That's been our understanding since day one. There are lots of resources that provide good info. This forum is a great one. And of course, we'll continue to provide a ton of information for free. But we also are proud of our premium content and we believe it represents an outstanding value for what we deliver vs the cost. We hope lots of other folks do too but as always, the market will tell us what's correct. For all of you who help support our business, we thank you. It's folks like you that allow us to do the other things like provide this forum and our other free content. 

Thank you.
Just a couple of notes/observations regarding the bolded

For a customer that plays regular offensive redraft that paid $39.95 last year that same content is now $47.88. Sure, they now get the Mobile apps thrown in, but I'm curious as to how many of them paid extra for the mobile apps anyway. My hunch is a relatively small amount. This is the equivalent of your local cable company adding some additional channels that you would never watch anyway and then raising prices because they added more "value" in those channels.

Why is the auction content considered an elite feature? I get the IDP, Best ball, and Dynasty as that is a different game in a sense than redraft leagues. But auction leagues only difference is the method that players are acquired at the beginning of the season. After the league's draft or auction the game is played the same exact way, regardless of how that player was initially acquired. You have the same number of starters, same number of bench players, same waiver wire priorities from week to week, same weekly lineup decisions. After the initial pre-season content of the draft/auction rankings every article/content would be the same. Your pre-season auction content has been severely lacking with the same exact auction articles regurgitated from year to year. How is this going to improve and what makes it any different than the content from a league that acquires it's players through a draft?

I've been a subscriber/follower for a longtime but I cannot justify paying twice as much for the content provided. At one point in time, FBG provided a distinct advantage in winning. Your emphasis has seemed to change to quantity over quality of content. Unfortunately, with that change in emphasis the advantage has been lost and can be found in just about any other generic fantasy football site.

Sure, they now get the Mobile apps thrown in, but I'm curious as to how many of them paid extra for the mobile apps anyway. My hunch is a relatively small amount.

This was a point on contention last year at FBG. I personally paid for the mobile draft app last year and soon after found out that this was basically the same as using the draft app on the FBG website. The only difference was ”mobile”. If you had internet access at your draft to use the website then it was no different than the mobile app. I mistakenly thought there was a difference and paid the extra for what I already had access to through my subscription.

Now it is just bundled in with a price increase and I'm assuming that again the only difference is ”mobile”.

**Edit - my apologies, I went back to read Joe's PM to me about the subject and this occurred in September 2020 and not last year 

Did this price structure change get communicated to existing/longtime subscribers in an email or in an obvious place on the site? I don’t remember seeing it if so. 

Yea, I missed this email too. Maybe it was mixed in with the other site improvements that have been promoted?

For a customer that plays regular offensive redraft that paid $39.95 last year that same content is now $47.88. Sure, they now get the Mobile apps thrown in, but I'm curious as to how many of them paid extra for the mobile apps anyway. My hunch is a relatively small amount. This is the equivalent of your local cable company adding some additional channels that you would never watch anyway and then raising prices because they added more "value" in those channels.

Why is the auction content considered an elite feature? I get the IDP, Best ball, and Dynasty as that is a different game in a sense than redraft leagues. But auction leagues only difference is the method that players are acquired at the beginning of the season. After the league's draft or auction the game is played the same exact way, regardless of how that player was initially acquired. You have the same number of starters, same number of bench players, same waiver wire priorities from week to week, same weekly lineup decisions. After the initial pre-season content of the draft/auction rankings every article/content would be the same. Your pre-season auction content has been severely lacking with the same exact auction articles regurgitated from year to year. How is this going to improve and what makes it any different than the content from a league that acquires it's players through a draft?

I've been a subscriber/follower for a longtime but I cannot justify paying twice as much for the content provided. At one point in time, FBG provided a distinct advantage in winning. Your emphasis has seemed to change to quantity over quality of content. Unfortunately, with that change in emphasis the advantage has been lost and can be found in just about any other generic fantasy football site.
This is my gripe too. Seems like an easy way to force people into the next tier. 

And for sure, the majority of our customers, and all of fantasy football play offensive only redraft. Obviously, that's not the case here as a message board for fantasy football attracts serious players and serious players get way beyond offensive only redraft. But that's still the biggest part of our audience. We see Auction content in very much the same lane as Best Ball, Dynasty and IDP. It takes a completely different valuation system and calculations. It's the heart of Value Based Drafting. And we have a dedicated team led by Drew Davenport to lead this. Again, Drew is not greedy, but he doesn't work for free. Nor should he. It's an economic reality for us that when we get into the more sophisticated and advanced areas of play, that content requires additional resources. 

The bigger thing is I've just never on the board of not paying our content creators fairly. I know lots of site "compensate" their people with "exposure" but that's always felt like taking advantage of free interns. It also leads to a constant churn of people creating the content and that's something we've always tried to avoid.

That's probably more than you wanted to know about our business. And I fully understand my business costs are 100% my problem. Just trying to give a little context there. 

And the bottomest of bottom lines of course is simply: are we providing a product that's a good value? That's how we live and die. 

I must be in the minority, but I don't have a problem with the price increase.  The info on these boards is worth a lot to me, and while it's free to us, it's not free to Joe.  Also, the MyFBG feature is invaluable to me because I don't spend as much time doing my homework anymore.  I'm in 4 leagues, so the price increase to me is less than $10 per league.  I'm willing to bet the cost of beer will be up around that much by the time the drafts roll around, and I'm not going to pass on having beer at the draft either.  

I must be in the minority, but I don't have a problem with the price increase.  The info on these boards is worth a lot to me, and while it's free to us, it's not free to Joe.  Also, the MyFBG feature is invaluable to me because I don't spend as much time doing my homework anymore.  I'm in 4 leagues, so the price increase to me is less than $10 per league.  I'm willing to bet the cost of beer will be up around that much by the time the drafts roll around, and I'm not going to pass on having beer at the draft either.  
I'm with you. I would be able to be in more than 2 leagues without MyFBG, 5 Second Primer, custom waiver reports, etc. I do use the mobile app for my 2 redraft leagues and I don’t have the time/energy/desire to do my own rankings at all anymore (The juice ain’t worth the squeeze for me) so I’m ok paying for the many different rankings, tools, apps and articles (especially with the increase in dynasty content). But one size doesn’t fit all and Joe has been nothing but great over the years wrt listening to his customers, so maybe there ar a few more price options next year to suit more need. Either way, I only pay for FBG (for the last, jeez, 15+ years) and love these boards. 

signed,

Kiss ### ;)  

Totally agree

There are certain features, if you use them, they are worth the money by themselves. I always thought the contest was worth 30 bucks. I spent hours doing that, and that time having fun has value. 

There's a pretty staggering amount of content that FBG provides. It's been the same price for what, 15 years? 

I've often wondered recently about the change to DFS among fantasy players, the aging FBG user (I could be wrong), and the overall numbers of season long players in general. 

i'm not on one side or the other on this, it's an unfortunate reality. but want to clarify something here at a practical level and I think i read this right. The 47.88 is the annual price, the monthly is 3.99. one of the changes noted by Joe on this page is that the annual sub is truly full year now. until last year in-season subscriber contents started roughly mid July and ended ahead of the Superbowl. That's 8 months. Simple math says 8 x 3.99 is roughly $32, less than the annual sub last year. Not accounting for some of the shifts to the elite tier like auction, which frankly is not good content anyway, that looks like a discount on basic content plus the apps. i'm not crazy about tiering subs and some of the changes, but at the least for basic league info it looks okay.

There are certain features, if you use them, they are worth the money by themselves. I always thought the contest was worth 30 bucks. I spent hours doing that, and that time having fun has value. 

There's a pretty staggering amount of content that FBG provides. It's been the same price for what, 15 years? 

I've often wondered recently about the change to DFS among fantasy players, the aging FBG user (I could be wrong), and the overall numbers of season long players in general. 
If you use them is the key.   IMO, the best pricing model would be similar to what cable companies do.  A base price for offense only redraft with the ability to add-on what you want (at $5-$10 per module).  The mobile app would be an add--on, Dynasty content would be an add-on, IDP an add-on, DFS an add-on.  If somebody wants everything it would probably cost them more than what everything costs with the current pricing but that's probably a small percentage of power users who would probably be glad to pay it.  Everybody else gets what they're willing to pay for and nobody feels like they're getting ripped off having to pay for, for example,  a mobile app that they'll never use.

Just my thoughts.  Obviously Joe has the right to charge what he thinks will maximize his revenue even if it makes some people unhappy.

If you use them is the key.   IMO, the best pricing model would be similar to what cable companies do.  A base price for offense only redraft with the ability to add-on what you want (at $5-$10 per module).  The mobile app would be an add--on, Dynasty content would be an add-on, IDP an add-on, DFS an add-on.  If somebody wants everything it would probably cost them more than what everything costs with the current pricing but that's probably a small percentage of power users who would probably be glad to pay it.  Everybody else gets what they're willing to pay for and nobody feels like they're getting ripped off having to pay for, for example,  a mobile app that they'll never use.

Just my thoughts.  Obviously Joe has the right to charge what he thinks will maximize his revenue even if it makes some people unhappy.
Not really directed at you:

I don't wanna get into a thing with anyone who thinks 70 bucks for season long fantasy resources is a lot of money, and the owner of a company can never say what I can which is:

There's a lot of cheapskates out there. People won't pay 2 bucks for an app. Some people cannot stand paying for anything on the internet. 70 bucks is peanuts, IMO. 

If you cannot afford it, you aren't spending money on your leagues, and should not be paying for services. Godspeed. If you can afford it easily, and just don't want to, well, you may be a cheapskate. 

How long should it stay at 35 bucks? 20 years?

I was going to make the cable analogy, but in a different way.  Of the hundreds of channels, I watch only a handful.  Yet to get channel D, I have to buy that channel with a bunch of useless ones in a package.  A la carte would work best for me for what it is worth.  

Inflation is such that choices have to be made.  So totally get the price increase. If the current pricing structure holds, I may bail on the subscription and only get the mobile apps.  A net loss of revenue for FBG in that scenario.  The market will have the final say - hopefully for FBG the price increase outweighs the (potential) loss of subscribers.  

Meanwhile I will continue to pay my cable bill and Amazon prime for Thursday night football.....

Thanks. I hear you and understand your point. We considered that "a la carte" type thing a while back and it was difficult to explain fully to folks. I hear you for sure but we've settled on the 3 nested tiers like this as the most clear way to offer our subscriptions. 

Are the contest winnings increasing?  Only reason I pay FBG anymore.  Content is available anywhere and everywhere.
I actually wish the contest winnings would DECREASE, and they would have both a season long contest and a weekly contest that locked on THU mornings.

To be clear I'm not suggesting that they pay out more in prizes than they already do.... I just think the fun of the contest is already a HUGE part of membership draw in the first place. It may force FBG to come out with their weekly projections quicker but isn't it really just an algorithm using their projections that assigns dollar amounts to the players anyway? The weekly contests payouts don't need to be all that big, maybe $1k and some future memberships. That would still make the main season long contest a large chunk of change. The discussion about the weekly contest would also draw a TON of traffic to the website along with all the weekly adjustments before the lineup gets locked on THU obviously.

IMO it isn't really a direct competitor to the draftkings/etc because they are targeting a football audience paying before the season begins to have both a yearly and weekly salary game. The apps are targeting people that need a week by week commitment. It's like comparing someone taking <your team> to win the SB at the start of the season to a guy pulling on slot machine. 

I hear you for sure but we've settled on the 3 nested tiers like this as the most clear way to offer our subscriptions. 
I like the idea of nested tiers. And I assume there will also be FBG App(s) which could also be considered lower tiers. I've suggested to several people over the years that they just try the app to help them with their draft..... and if they like it try a membership. Over the years I've kind of bounced around between memberships and the app so I can't speak for the latest version of the app but I have absolutely loved it in the past. 

Users who are viewing this thread