What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FF is so easy this year (1 Viewer)

Unlucky

Phenom
In watching the drafts and auctions that I oversee in Phenoms FF, and finally getting into some of my own, I can't help but be amazed with the talent that drops.

For example, in a keeper league in which you get to keep guys at a price of 2 rounds higher than last year, I had nobody to keep. Of course, all of the come-from-nowhere backs like Gore, Henry, Addai, Parker, etc. were all kept for late picks, giving those guys a huge advantage. So, I traded out of rounds 1, 2, and basically out of round 3. First pick was 3.12, and don't forget that bunch of quality was taken already, so it's like pick 4.6 in a 12 team league. I still got McNabb, T. Gonzalez, M. Barber, B. Jackson, L. Jordan, J. Lewis, R. Moss, and J. Galloway with the picks I stockpiled in rounds 4 to 6. You might laugh at those RBs, but besides Barber, there is little to no playing time competition. I still have a bunch more picks in rounds 7 to 9, so I'll be loaded.

Long story short, there is TONS of talent in the mid rounds. In auctions, you can clean up with underpriced guys. There are so many undervalued WRs that it's a travishamockery to pick one early when you can get so many good ones late. It's been a few years since I felt this much value at RB in the mid rounds. Some of these guys will pan out and they will make you a FF league champion.

I still got McNabb, T. Gonzalez, M. Barber, B. Jackson, L. Jordan, J. Lewis, R. Moss, and J. Galloway with the picks I stockpiled in rounds 4 to 6. You might laugh at those RBs, but besides Barber, there is little to no playing time competition. I still have a bunch more picks in rounds 7 to 9, so I'll be loaded.
Sounds like the "upside team." This could be a great team where everyone way overachieves their expectations, making you feel like a smart coach (so you can pat yourself on the back). Or this team could fail miserably, making everyone in the league laugh at you for out-thinking the game at the draft. I don't really see the point in this other than to make yourself feel like a fantasy genius if successful. It's not like you just saved a real team millions of dollars in cap space.

Pittsburgh United said:
Unlucky said:
I still got McNabb, T. Gonzalez, M. Barber, B. Jackson, L. Jordan, J. Lewis, R. Moss, and J. Galloway with the picks I stockpiled in rounds 4 to 6. You might laugh at those RBs, but besides Barber, there is little to no playing time competition. I still have a bunch more picks in rounds 7 to 9, so I'll be loaded.
Sounds like the "upside team." This could be a great team where everyone way overachieves their expectations, making you feel like a smart coach (so you can pat yourself on the back). Or this team could fail miserably, making everyone in the league laugh at you for out-thinking the game at the draft. I don't really see the point in this other than to make yourself feel like a fantasy genius if successful. It's not like you just saved a real team millions of dollars in cap space.
Nothing to do with your team specifically unlucky, but what pit is saying has some truth in a general sense. It's an easy thing to do when you start to get "good" at FF. I can remember feeling like this one year as I was robbing people blind it felt grabbing guys that I felt were huge values. I was :wub: at the guys in my league who didn't know that player X had been named the #2 WR or that Player Z was going to get the goal line carries. A guy that performs like a 4th rounder that you take in the 7th round is great. But he's still a 4th rounder performer. It's easy to lose site of production when you're chasing value. Not saying that's what you're doign at all. I'm just saying it's easy to do in a general sense.I'm also always very leery of saying this game is "so easy" :popcorn:J

Pittsburgh United said:
Unlucky said:
Nothing to do with your team specifically unlucky, but what pit is saying has some truth in a general sense. It's an easy thing to do when you start to get "good" at FF. I can remember feeling like this one year as I was robbing people blind it felt grabbing guys that I felt were huge values. I was :wub: at the guys in my league who didn't know that player X had been named the #2 WR or that Player Z was going to get the goal line carries. A guy that performs like a 4th rounder that you take in the 7th round is great. But he's still a 4th rounder performer. It's easy to lose site of production when you're chasing value. Not saying that's what you're doign at all. I'm just saying it's easy to do in a general sense.I'm also always very leery of saying this game is "so easy" :popcorn:J
Joe make a very astute observation.Never mess with the Fantasy Gods. They will #### you up bad!!!

Unlucky said:
In watching the drafts and auctions that I oversee in Phenoms FF, and finally getting into some of my own, I can't help but be amazed with the talent that drops. For example, in a keeper league in which you get to keep guys at a price of 2 rounds higher than last year, I had nobody to keep. Of course, all of the come-from-nowhere backs like Gore, Henry, Addai, Parker, etc. were all kept for late picks, giving those guys a huge advantage. So, I traded out of rounds 1, 2, and basically out of round 3. First pick was 3.12, and don't forget that bunch of quality was taken already, so it's like pick 4.6 in a 12 team league. I still got McNabb, T. Gonzalez, M. Barber, B. Jackson, L. Jordan, J. Lewis, R. Moss, and J. Galloway with the picks I stockpiled in rounds 4 to 6. You might laugh at those RBs, but besides Barber, there is little to no playing time competition. I still have a bunch more picks in rounds 7 to 9, so I'll be loaded. Long story short, there is TONS of talent in the mid rounds. In auctions, you can clean up with underpriced guys. There are so many undervalued WRs that it's a travishamockery to pick one early when you can get so many good ones late. It's been a few years since I felt this much value at RB in the mid rounds. Some of these guys will pan out and they will make you a FF league champion.
All those picks are pretty good values, but together they do not make a very strong team. I would not go around bragging with that lineup.

There is still a fair amount of luck involved, no matter how much people want to admit. Especially in HTH redraft leagues.

With your username....I don't think you should be scoffing too much. What if they all have good seasons, but you keep playing the wrong guy each week? What if you keep playing against teams who have their best week of the year? What if none of them outperform their ADP?

It's not really that easy. In 2005 I was new at FF and won 2 of my 3 leagues. Last season I hung out at FBG's, came to understand ADP and VBD and did several mock drafts and was a WW Hawk. I finished 3/12, 4/8 and 2/10 in my 3 leagues. Not bad, but winning the whole thing takes some luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is still a fair amount of luck involved, no matter how much people want to admit. Especially in HTH redraft leagues.With your username....I don't think you should be scoffing too much. What if they all have good seasons, but you keep playing the wrong guy each week? What if you keep playing against teams who have their best week of the year? What if none of them outperform their ADP?It's not really that easy. In 2005 I was new at FF and won 2 of my 3 leagues. Last season I hung out at FBG's, came to understand ADP and VBD and did several mock drafts and was a WW Hawk. I finished 3/12, 4/8 and 2/10 in my 3 leagues. Not bad, but winning the whole thing takes some luck.
There is ton of luck involved. I liken it to poker. With skill a player can put themself in a strong position, but no matter how good one is, luck will make or break them.

Users who are viewing this thread