What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Demographics - How Long Have You Been On The Board? (2 Viewers)

How Long Have You Been On The Boards?

• Less than 1 year

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 3-4 years

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 5-6 years

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 7-8 years

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 9-10 years

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • 11-12 years

Votes: 23 7.5%
  • 13-14 years

Votes: 48 15.6%
  • 15-16 years

Votes: 73 23.8%
  • 17-18 years

Votes: 51 16.6%
  • 19-20 years

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • More than 20 years

Votes: 43 14.0%

• Total voters
fell into fantasy football in 1997 and was pointed towards cheatsheets.net for a crash course, so been around since 97-98, just over 20 years.

I think I found cheatsheets in 2000.  Used the free content through the NFL season then stopped coming after.  When the 2001 season was starting up, I looked for it and was redirected to fbg's.  Joined the forums at that time.  So probably july/august 2001 is when I joined the forums.  So, 17/18 years..  

Have been here since the time when this place was clever, interesting, and funny.

There were periods when this place had such interesting threads that I left the window open and refreshed throughout the day.

Profile says 2003, but maybe that's when we switched from Old Yeller.  I answered based on that (15-16) but I was on Old Yeller a couple years before then.

Spring 2001 I think. First memory on old yeller was posting during class at b school at Usc.

Man I am getting old.

Started playing Fantasy back in '91. (A bunch of friends had created a league '85-'86 timeframe, early enough that some of the stories talk about the strike year... was super happy to be in. The league turnoff has been next to nil even to this day. I still remember being pumped that I was able to get in) Back then prep usually consisted of hunting for mags starting in early July, Street and Smith is the one name I still remember. There were others. One had this whacked out idea called VBD and it was always a gold mine find on the mag racks. Not sure when I started following posts/etc online and I've forgotten those details for good by now. Someone earlier said "Stayed in the Shark pool cause I thought the FFA was stupid until I started staying in the FFA since I thought the Shark Pool was stupid". Don't remember when I started doing that either, but its been some time ago as well.

(Moral of the story: Having kids + growing old has a way of wiping out trivial useless details, but I've been around for a long time)

Last edited by a moderator:
With 144 votes in, nearly 90% have been here over 10 years.

That is pretty impressive loyalty.  (Or long-time subscribers are more likely to open, read and vote in this thread than others.)

I wonder if the age spread in the Shark Pool would center younger?

Kinda what I thought. The FFA is driven by a group that has been here a long time. Looks like 2000-2005 is the sweet spot.

Must have been 2001 or 2002.  I don't recall being here for 9/11, but I sure remember the 9/11 conspiracy threads.

I played in a FF league I found in the want adds with board members in 2002, so it was at least before that.

SInce 2003 on this site...was on old yeller too but don't recall the timeline for that. I do remember the days where bragging about your user # was a thing and to be a single-digit user was thought to be of importance.

Don Quixote said:
I came over when The Huddle board switched over to subscribers only.  2001 or 2002?  Can't remember.
Wut?  I was a mega-poster there and I don't believe it was subscribers-only then.  I think that was pre-2000 and did not last long.  Maybe I'm misremembering.   :confused:

As for me, I joined up here 6 years ago when I finally realized The Huddle's version of FFA was completely dead.   :coffee:

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to explain rec.sports to people sometimes and they look at like I'm crazy. I don't really blame them. 
:lmao:  Ain't that the truth.  I remember bonding with Shick and others in the Old Yeller days discussing rec.sports and USENET in general.  

I worked for Prodigy for a while back in the day.  Explaining how that worked gets more complicated every year.  "How did you get on the Internet without a browser?"  "People paid for Internet access by the hour?"  "People used phone lines to get on the Internet?"  "What's a land line?"              

Wut?  I was a mega-poster there and I don't believe it was subscribers-only then.  I think that was pre-2000 and did not last long.  Maybe I'm misremembering.   :confused:

As for me, I joined up here 6 years ago when I finally realized The Huddle's version of FFA was completely dead.   :coffee:
It may have just been a temporary thing once they realized how much visibility they lost in the space by hiding the forums.  But I haven't really looked back at The Huddle since making the switch.  There was definitely a mass migration of folks from The Huddle board over here when they switched their model.

It may have just been a temporary thing once they realized how much visibility they lost in the space by hiding the forums.  But I haven't really looked back at The Huddle since making the switch.  There was definitely a mass migration of folks from The Huddle board over here when they switched their model.
That sounds about right.  I always likened The Tailgate over there to your neighborhood dive bar, where you could always get a seat at the bar and knew everyone in the place... whereas the FFA (at least when I joined) was the bumpin' night club with velvet ropes holding back a line of 200+ people where you could barely hear yourself think.  :lol:  

I don't believe the boards were ever pay there, just the content at some point.

15+.  

This profile says going on 15years next month, but I know I had other names before this.  Like others said, I do remember 9/11 threads.  

I can't remember exactly how long I've been here, but I'm sure it's more than 20 years.  I moved to a law firm in Manhattan right after Y2K.  I was on the boards long before that.  :thumbup:

@Otis Price must be getting cheaper every day.  You better resurrect this thing before it's too late.  Think how awesome it would be to ban the political forum, bring back the yoga pants thread, allow photos and turn off the language filter.

I was here for cheetsheets.net but I’m not sure of my username then.

when we converted to whatever was after old yeller I was on the second the forum opened but wasn’aware the board operated at central time so I missed out on the lower user number.

I used to be Emmitt Smith here but skirted the line too many times and the final straw was my buddy coming over and posting something stupid that got me banned.

And here we are today, only with less line crossing and less hyperbole. 

Pretty sure it was ‘06, though my username says ‘03 (because I bought my three digit member number). 

I clicked 19-20, but it could be 18. I found Cheatsheets.net in a FF magazine. I seem to recall one year's preseason ranking that had Tony Banks at QB # 5 or 6. Was that '99? That was either the first or second year I was around.

Anyway, whenever I first found the forums I mostly hung in the Shark Pool. But I know I was visiting the FFA before 9/11. I had a different user name, but don't remember what it was. I didn't post much back then.

august of 2003 I think. couple months after the board switch that had all of the users who preceded me showing the same "start" date on the new board

Users who are viewing this thread