What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**FFA POKER** (1 Viewer)

Had an interesting hand recently.  I've looked back on this and tried to think if there's anything I do differently and I'm only coming up with changing how the river is played, but here goes.....

New game of $2/3 NL, been playing about an hour.  Overall a pretty tame game.  Standard raises preflop, not a lot of huge pots, no one getting out of line.  Middle of the day so lots of regs.  New guy comes to sit and is there for about 15 minutes, seems in line with the rest.

I'm sitting in late position.  One caller in middle position, I call with AH7d, button calls, SB completes and BB checks.  5 players in, pot $15.

Flop comes 5h6h7h.  SB checks.  BB bets $10.  Middle position folds.  I call.  Button folds, SB folds.  Down to heads up, pot is $35.

Turn is the 7s.  BB checks to me.  I put out $65 now with trip 7's in addition to my flush draw.  He calls.

River is the 8h.  BB thinks for about 10 seconds and then checks.  I put out $100.  After thinking for about 20 seconds, he shoves all-in for $400.

I folded.

likely had picket 5s or 6s.
He has 9h3h. Flopped a small flush. Rivered the nut straight flush. 

Really surprised he checked to me on the river but was a great play. I contemplated just checking the river but I really thought I had a good chance of having the winning hand with the A high flush.  When he reraised, it was an easy fold, though. Still sucked.

He has 9h3h. Flopped a small flush. Rivered the nut straight flush. 

Really surprised he checked to me on the river but was a great play. I contemplated just checking the river but I really thought I had a good chance of having the winning hand with the A high flush.  When he reraised, it was an easy fold, though. Still sucked.

Interesting.  The way he played the turn had me thinking he was slow playing his boat.

But yeah, you have to fold there to that raise.

I guess in hindsight, he bets his flop, check-calls the turn in case you had hit your boat, then hits the perfect card for his river play.  He is probably hoping you have a boat and checks to you.  Don't think he checks if he knew you only had a flush, even the nut flush.

I'd also suggest not playing A7 offsuit preflop. Type of hand that causes more trouble.
No doubt. It's one of the things I virtually never do. I will play 23 suited before A rag. 

In this case, I hadn't played several hands, it had limped around, the table was tame, and I was in late position. One of the very few times I play that kind of hand and actually hit the dream scenario until it wasn't.

Made day two of wsop razz.   41st with 98 left. 47 get paid.  

Had two 6 4 2 A hands only improve to 10 6 and each lost to a 9. Would have been in 10th if I hit those.  Action limits are like 4k 8k to start tomorrow.  People are going to be busting quickly.  

Made day two of wsop razz.   41st with 98 left. 47 get paid.  

Had two 6 4 2 A hands only improve to 10 6 and each lost to a 9. Would have been in 10th if I hit those.  Action limits are like 4k 8k to start tomorrow.  People are going to be busting quickly.  
Finished 31st.   Wild run.  With four left til money,  lost a 74 hand to a 64 hand in a 3 way 120k pot. 

Two hands later, get my last 13500 in and spike a duece on the river for a 7652A to best at 7654A.  That gave me 37k.    Won 4 of 6 next hands and ran it up to 140k.  Lol.  

Was down to 60k and won a 142k 3 way all in  pot by spiking another duece on the river.   

Limits were 10k and 20k when I went out played a 7 3 A and did run out well for 31st

Getzlaf15 said:
Finished 31st.   Wild run.  With four left til money,  lost a 74 hand to a 64 hand in a 3 way 120k pot. 

Two hands later, get my last 13500 in and spike a duece on the river for a 7652A to best at 7654A.  That gave me 37k.    Won 4 of 6 next hands and ran it up to 140k.  Lol.  

Was down to 60k and won a 142k 3 way all in  pot by spiking another duece on the river.   

Limits were 10k and 20k when I went out played a 7 3 A and did run out well for 31st
Thanks for the cash, great run.  I got 20% of Getz on this trip.  I have played this event before.  Always a tough field and an impressive performance.  

I assume you mean an opponent turned top full house and you rivered straight flush.  Amazing that another opponent turned quad 8's.  Crazy!
No. He had flopped top set, when the turn brought the second 8, Getz had top FH (and was only losing to quad 8s). The river then actually gave him the straight flush to improve on his turned top FH.

You win bad beat jackpot?
Unfortunately there's no bb jackpot at the room where I play.

Probably wouldn't have counted anyway as the other guy didn't use both of his cards. 1-2 Holden. I raised to 15 PF. He called with Q6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an interesting hand recently.  I've looked back on this and tried to think if there's anything I do differently and I'm only coming up with changing how the river is played, but here goes.....

New game of $2/3 NL, been playing about an hour.  Overall a pretty tame game.  Standard raises preflop, not a lot of huge pots, no one getting out of line.  Middle of the day so lots of regs.  New guy comes to sit and is there for about 15 minutes, seems in line with the rest.

I'm sitting in late position.  One caller in middle position, I call with AH7d, button calls, SB completes and BB checks.  5 players in, pot $15.

Flop comes 5h6h7h.  SB checks.  BB bets $10.  Middle position folds.  I call.  Button folds, SB folds.  Down to heads up, pot is $35.

Turn is the 7s.  BB checks to me.  I put out $65 now with trip 7's in addition to my flush draw.  He calls.

River is the 8h.  BB thinks for about 10 seconds and then checks.  I put out $100.  After thinking for about 20 seconds, he shoves all-in for $400.

I folded.
Fold pre (I know you explained your call). General rule - never limp pre unless you're BB or very occasionally button. Even with a fold hand, raising > calling. 

As played, raise flop. Right around $35. Doesn't get much wetter than 5-6-7 monotone. The fact that you hold Ah is very nice if your opponents are even somewhat capable.

I like the overbet on the turn. There's merit to keeping villain's range wider, but I like the sizing.

River is brutal. I'm tempted to call in a live game, but I like the laydown.   

Tipping question.

At the poker table. How much do people tip for a high hand jackpot?

BTW - got a royal last night. 1st time ever for me. Woohoo!

Tipping question.

At the poker table. How much do people tip for a high hand jackpot?

BTW - got a royal last night. 1st time ever for me. Woohoo!
I think tipping in poker is a personal decision and I can’t stand when people judge other people vocally for how much they tip.

Personally, I tip a lower percentage amount  as the high hand or jackpot gets bigger. So my tipping range could be 20% down to 5% depending on the win.

I think tipping in poker is a personal decision and I can’t stand when people judge other people vocally for how much they tip.

Personally, I tip a lower percentage amount  as the high hand or jackpot gets bigger. So my tipping range could be 20% down to 5% depending on the win.
Thanks. Didn't want to influence anyone's answer so I didn't say what I usually do which about 10%. In this case I did more because for me a royal is, so far,  a once in a lifetime event. Payout was 1400, tip was 200.

Out of curiosity I did a quick search online. Didn't find anything recent.

Thanks. Didn't want to influence anyone's answer so I didn't say what I usually do which about 10%. In this case I did more because for me a royal is, so far,  a once in a lifetime event. Payout was 1400, tip was 200.

Out of curiosity I did a quick search online. Didn't find anything recent.
Not judging but since you asked… :lol:

I think your $200 tip is more than fair. Generous tip.

Question regarding smaller live tournament poker and fees…

I was think about donking it up at a $60 tournament (with rebuys and add-on) but I noticed in the fine print that only $38 is going in as the entry fee and $22 is being deducted for registration and staff fees. Huh?

That’s over a third skimmed off the top.

Is this normal for these cheap tournaments?

Question regarding smaller live tournament poker and fees…

I was think about donking it up at a $60 tournament (with rebuys and add-on) but I noticed in the fine print that only $38 is going in as the entry fee and $22 is being deducted for registration and staff fees. Huh?

That’s over a third skimmed off the top.

Is this normal for these cheap tournaments?
In many cases, it's like that and it sucks.   Main reason I won't play in them.

When was the last "house" game here with the FFA?  I won a bunch (not really, padding my ego but basically broke even) and want to do it again.
Little less than two years ago. We played almost every night for a few months at the start of the pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread