What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFPC Championship Question (this seems so F*'d up) (1 Viewer)

Then perhaps something needs to done about the hobby itself because it feels like the sportsmanship is lacking or lost all together. I wouldn't even feel good about winning a game against an opponent that didn't play with a complete lineup. But apparently there are fantasy owners that will take a win however they can. You seem to be like that. You're probably the type that does that and then brags about how "great" your team was or how you have so much knowledge about the game. LOL.  

You're easily the, "take the win however you can."  I'm highly competitive, hence the reason I play in high stakes leagues. Most of you sound like don't mind having an unfair advantage, as long as you win. Sucker way to play the game. 
🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

injuries are a risk in this hobby. I would love it if players never got injured, not just for the sake of the hobby, but for the sake of the players.

Every week there are thousands of unfair things that happen…whether it be a mid-game injury, a bad ref call, untimely penalty, poor coaching decisions, garbage time scoring, guys getting an extra quarter due to OT, goal line vulturing etc etc etc. Every time you see a QB take a knee at the end of a game, that cost thousands of teams their matchup.  Every fluky thing you see happen or reffing error, cost a bunch of people their game, maybe their season.

We accept all of this because it’s just the nature of the hobby and you hope that the luck balances out. That is just the way it is…

Last edited by a moderator:
candian fantasy guy said:
Guy gets injured in the warm ups, then what? 

I have never played in a league that allows pick ups after the 1pm on Sunday. Maybe it’s just me, but this is a whole lot of nothing. Does it suck for you, yes of course it does. But not enough to change the rules, not even remotely close enough. 
All the leagues I play in allow FCFS adds up until game time.  Why penalize the guy  playing players Monday night ?  Heck why not halt all pickups Thursday when the first game starts?  What is so special about 1 pm Sunday?  I get rules are rules but rules can also be changed ( next year)....  It used to be that all lineups were due before kickoff of the first game....  Ive not seen a league who still uses that rule.  Why?  because it penalizes owners with players who play later in the week unnecesarily.  Same thing with these archaic rules that end up with a player getting a zero in this situation.  

All the leagues I play in allow FCFS adds up until game time.  Why penalize the guy  playing players Monday night ?  Heck why not halt all pickups Thursday when the first game starts?  What is so special about 1 pm Sunday?  I get rules are rules but rules can also be changed ( next year)....  It used to be that all lineups were due before kickoff of the first game....  Ive not seen a league who still uses that rule.  Why?  because it penalizes owners with players who play later in the week unnecesarily.  Same thing with these archaic rules that end up with a player getting a zero in this situation.  

I'm glad someone gets it. Its amazing that some of you are still okay with "rules" that result in owners getting zero points due to non-football issues.  A player get ruled out after 1pm due to something non-football related and some of you still believe that's a fair and straight up way to play? Your position is "oh well, too bad. Looks like it my 10 players versus your 9. 🤣 Wow!

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

injuries are a risk in this hobby. I would love it if players never got injured, not just for the sake of the hobby, but for the sake of the players.

Every week there are thousands of unfair things that happen…whether it be a mid-game injury, a bad ref call, untimely penalty, poor coaching decisions, garbage time scoring, guys getting an extra quarter due to OT, goal line vulturing etc etc etc. Every time you see a QB take a knee at the end of a game, that cost thousands of teams their matchup.  Every fluky thing you see happen or reffing error, cost a bunch of people their game, maybe their season.

We accept all of this because it’s just the nature of the hobby and you hope that the luck balances out. That is just the way it is…

Dude... everything you mentioned is IN THE CONTEXT OF THE GAME. Do you understand the difference between that and something non-football related? (not trying to mean or funny). COVID has nothing to do with what happens on the field. Don't change the narrative. We are talking about something specific. No way should a league as "esteemed" as the FFPC not have a plan for players that get ruled out on a Monday night game due to COVID. They didn't think this all the way through. They probably never imagined it would happen on the most important day of their season.   It'll be interesting to see if suddenly the rule changes. Because it needs to.

Taking personal shots at my character now?  Clearly your little hissy fit didn't get received like you wanted it to here.  There are lots of knowledgeable and experienced fantasy players and commissioners here, and no one seems to agree with you.  You lost fair and square, get over it and stop trying to blame someone else.

C'mon man... I don't care to know you. No disrespect. If you actually read through the comments you'll see there are people that share my opinion. foh

these are 20 man rosters, there’s space
This true?

Tough break but yeah, there was probably more the OP could have done to cover contingencies. A couple clarifying questions (if you don’t mind…seriously, this is a total bummer so I get it if you’ve checked out):

• league championship week are two weeks, right?
• 2 to 3 teams out of the top 4 from each  league go on to the next round?

(Aside - next round is a 3 week, total points deal Weeks 15-17)

So presumably this Higbee SNAFU is coming after two weeks of play. You’re going to finish either 3rd or 4th out of 4 teams?

Have I gotten all this right so far?

Did you have a 100% optimal lineup both weeks? Like, absolutely no lineup move would have budged your score? I’ve been playing 25 years, and nearly every week I make at least one “mistake.” Like poker, there is variance in this hobby.

I’m not trying to be a jerk or snarky or make you feel bad. Dude, I’m just saying…YEAH, FOR SURE the Higbee thing was a bit of a gip deal. But is it truly the only thing that went wrong the last two weeks?

It sounds like your chance was razor thin and everything had to align. When it came down to your last best chance, that didn’t work out. And I’m wondering if maybe you need to be accountable and admit it’s on you to make sure your championship doesn’t come down to something like this.

Sometimes you do everything right and you lose. That’s life. That’s FF. It’s not fair. Whoever told you it would be lied.

Take the L Show some graciousness

“Rules can be changed next year”

exactly…NEXT year.  In the meantime you have to play within the rules and place your bets within the context of the rules THIS year, and when it doesn’t go your way, you have to suck it up and move on.  There likely are other teams in his league that dropped a good prospect at some point to have a contingency play for MNF.  In what world would it be fair to accommodate this guy now, for failing to do that?  He gambled that his guy would be available and lost.  End of story.

That's terrific! This tournament, and every other tourney that I know of, does not. 

Now the rest is just semantics on your part. Whether you 2 agree or not, it just doesn't matter as they are the rules and we have to play within them. 

The easiest solution would seem to be allowing you to select a number of backup players before the week begins (one of my IDP leagues on MFL, we can select 5 players at different positions).

A real NFL team gets to put someone else in at the last minute, and if we are emulating that, allow backup players to be listed.

Then perhaps something needs to done about the hobby itself because it feels like the sportsmanship is lacking or lost all together. I wouldn't even feel good about winning a game against an opponent that didn't play with a complete lineup. But apparently there are fantasy owners that will take a win however they can. You seem to be like that. You're probably the type that does that and then brags about how "great" your team was or how you have so much knowledge about the game. LOL.  

You're easily the, "take the win however you can."  I'm highly competitive, hence the reason I play in high stakes leagues. Most of you sound like don't mind having an unfair advantage, as long as you win. Sucker way to play the game. 
Careful before you get too fired up and get your burner account banned and end up on double secret probation.

Oh, and :ptts:

“Rules can be changed next year”

exactly…NEXT year.  In the meantime you have to play within the rules and place your bets within the context of the rules THIS year, and when it doesn’t go your way, you have to suck it up and move on.  There likely are other teams in his league that dropped a good prospect at some point to have a contingency play for MNF.  In what world would it be fair to accommodate this guy now, for failing to do that?  He gambled that his guy would be available and lost.  End of story.
Oh I dont think for a second anything should be done bout the OP.  I was in the same spot and fired off a pretty firey letter to the League Im  run by Rtsports  having the same issue  That is how rules get changed.  An issue arises that the league doesnt forsee  and rules, if they can be fairly,  get adjusted.  In the cases where people plam for a contingency jId bet in close to 100% of those circumstances there is a reason to be concerned ahead of time for that particular player.  In this situation there was zero alert that there would be any issue.  Id bet money youve never had a contingency plan for all of your monday night players because somethimg COULD go wrong.  Im just suggesting there is a simple rule adjustment that COULD be made to avoid these unforseen situations and honestly havent seen a single person who has responded  say why you think the rule change  would be in any way unfair to anyone and not fair overall.  I get riules are rules and when I emailed the site in now way wanted some sort of resolution THIS YEAR....and if the OP wamts that I totally disagree disagree with that.  Im just saying the rule is a a bad and needs to be changed.  

That's terrific! This tournament, and every other tourney that I know of, does not. 

Now the rest is just semantics on your part. Whether you 2 agree or not, it just doesn't matter as they are the rules and we have to play within them. 
No scemantics is calling it a tournament..  Reguardless how its labeled at its escence it is just another FF league only high stakes.  And my example wasnt scemantics about anything.  It was simply an example where leagues (all of them that Im familliar with)  no longer make people tiurn in full lineups  because  there is just flat out no reason to put people in a situation where they end up having to take a zero when there is a great option to make a new rule which would  aleviate that problem.  This non rule that I think should be one addresses that same issue....only further in depth.  (and is a rule in every league I have played in up until this year).  

The easiest solution would seem to be allowing you to select a number of backup players before the week begins (one of my IDP leagues on MFL, we can select 5 players at different positions).

A real NFL team gets to put someone else in at the last minute, and if we are emulating that, allow backup players to be listed.
That certainly is a better option than the current rule.  

da_budman said:
No scemantics is calling it a tournament..  Reguardless how its labeled at its escence it is just another FF league only high stakes.  And my example wasnt scemantics about anything.  It was simply an example where leagues (all of them that Im familliar with)  no longer make people tiurn in full lineups  because  there is just flat out no reason to put people in a situation where they end up having to take a zero when there is a great option to make a new rule which would  aleviate that problem.  This non rule that I think should be one addresses that same issue....only further in depth.  (and is a rule in every league I have played in up until this year).  
The FFPC is a tournament with over 10 000 entrees. 500G’s up for grab. No semantics, it’s a tournament. 

High stakes players and probably players of any league take a measure of comfort in rules being firm and not open to individual interpretation. Last year, due to COVID the FFPC made a minor in-season adjustment to move the second waiver run from Friday to Sunday morning. I thought this was a great adjustment but some people were actually upset at that, because in any league and especially one of this magnitude, one thing a lot of us value is firm rules.
Count me as one of those who thought the mid-season rule change was complete garbage by the FFPC.  I wasted plenty of roster spots on 2nd QBs, TEs, and Ks just in case of a covid outbreak on my starter's team.  I did so for however many weeks they had Friday waivers year only for them to bail out those who didn't last-minute with the switch to Sunday.  Friday-to-Sunday switch?  Fine if you do it between seasons, or even on a Tuesday, though I hate any mid-season rule changes.  Last minute because KC, or whoever, was hit with covid was crap.

Actually the OP should request a rule change, now.  FFPC set the precedent last year.  Worth a shot!

Everyone gets it. It's you that seems to be missing the major point.
Yet he still imagines that he has support in here, still thinks he is still right, and still thinks 99% of this thread are horrible human beings with no morals.

Completely clueless.  Didn't hear what he wanted to hear and is now digging in deeper. 

If Higbee never got him, fantasy Karma would have.

Zane Gonzalez.

Eagles punter got concussed during warm ups and missed a game. It was preseason. He wasn't wearing a helmet, got hit by a punt.

Taylor Lewan earlier this year and Eric Kendricks last year - both tweaked a knee/leg during warm ups.

Super rare but it does happen.

I am guessing your league isn't playing for $500,000 to the winner ?  These are contests playing for a lot of money and have 13,000+ teams for the FBG and over 3,000 teams for the main event.

There are zero waivers once the championship round begin.  You can end up with a 0 at QB or TE or K very easily 2 weeks from now.

As far as a single week goes waivers used to close on Friday and on Saturday if you got an injury you took a 0 I have before.  That part sucks because Saturday waivers make much more sense but you can't have waivers open to anyone FCFS in a contest paying a half million bucks.

In my local leagues sure you can grab up a backup TE that night and we have a rule if you pick them up after 1 PM Sunday you have to drop them next week.  This is not a local league.

Count me as one of those who thought the mid-season rule change was complete garbage by the FFPC.  I wasted plenty of roster spots on 2nd QBs, TEs, and Ks just in case of a covid outbreak on my starter's team.  I did so for however many weeks they had Friday waivers year only for them to bail out those who didn't last-minute with the switch to Sunday.  Friday-to-Sunday switch?  Fine if you do it between seasons, or even on a Tuesday, though I hate any mid-season rule changes.  Last minute because KC, or whoever, was hit with covid was crap.

Actually the OP should request a rule change, now.  FFPC set the precedent last year.  Worth a shot!
I was, too. I carried 2 QBs and 2 Ks to cover myself just in case while everyone else got to stash backup RBs and WRs. They then got bailed out with a midseason change of rules after being adamant there would be no rule changes.

One thing I do wish they'd change for next year that RTS does is, teams that make the championship game qualify for the big tourney regardless if they win or not. 

Thank you for attending my TedTalk

You sure do a lot of whining and finger pointing, but you're not looking in the mirror.  Need to know the rules; need to have depth on your roster.

In the last two seasons, I've switched around my roster several times to accommodate potentially having a Plan B in case player X got hurt and didn't play Tuesday night, for example. Even if healthy, I didn't like having zero options in case something happened (that something was normally COVID). 

I'm sure everyone here has done the same thing. It can be annoying. I also thought it was kind of interesting, and added a new wrinkle to the game. Then again, I wasn't playing for a ton of money, either. 

People say that fantasy football is a mix of luck and skill. I think it's a mix of luck and preparation, with a small measure of skill. This seems to be a combination of bad luck and insufficient preparation. I hope the consolation prize was sizeable, since the OP clearly had a great year. 

I stopped reading after this.....total lie....not true for any FF player ......ever......have been playing competitive and "for fun" fantasy as long as I can remember.....I'll take an easy dub in ANY league.....whenever I can get it........as soon as you said this you lost all credibility ...there really is no "sportsmanship" in FF....there is no taking a "knee" to run the clock out and not run up the score....you and the rest of the league know the rules from day 1....there is zero responsibility for anyone to say "oh that sucks for you, lets change the rules RIGHT NOW"....quit crying....advocate for change next year...you didn't plan ahead that Higbee might not play....get over it....its on you

Users who are viewing this thread