What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Focusing on the positive -- GOOD things about the coronavirus situation (1 Viewer)

still love this thread oats what is your toy car take that to the bank brohan
Got it back today. It’s a 1979 International Scout that’s been restored and modded a little. It’s pretty bad ### and a lot of fun—my kids love it, everyone on the road loves it, and it’s a great place for me to smoke cigars and crank 70s and 80s rock. 

LINK

so here is a rare serious swc post i have had a lot of health problems in the last couple of years basically i sometimes feel like my body is just giving up on me but shes got a lot of miles on her and anyhow i had a heart attack in late february and frankly i am lucky to be alive it was serious it was bad and i didnt go to the docs like i should have and was basically a dope but when i did finally go in they fixed me up over the course of four hours on the cath lab table and so it has meant a lot of changes in my life with calming down and taking stuff off my schedule and eating a lot better and going for walks like it is my job so the shutdown has given me nothing but time to get my you know what together and apologize to my lady for scaring her and trying to make things right and thanking the big kahuna upstairs for giving me a second shot at this and im still here and docs say im doing well and like my nurse said gods plan for you is that you would tell everyone even guys who appear to be in good shape like i did to just take the time and get there cholesterol checked and who knows maybe one of you reading this will and maybe it will matter take that to the bank bromigos  
Glad you came through alright GB. This “pause” on life is a nice time for all sorts of self reflection. Be good to yourself, brohan 

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Got it back today. It’s a 1979 International Scout that’s been restored and modded a little. It’s pretty bad ### and a lot of fun—my kids love it, everyone on the road loves it, and it’s a great place for me to smoke cigars and crank 70s and 80s rock. 

LINK
Whoa. Very Nice.

My eldest daughter turned 9 today. Hard for kids not to be able to have a party or really celebrate their birthday. People in my town have been doing a cool thing for the kids on their birthdays where friends and family do a car parade past their house, honking horns and with balloons and signs. My daughter thought just her grandma was going to drive by and say hello. She was so overwhelmed, almost in tears at all the people who came out.  Even her teacher showed up!  Really sweet.

People are good. I know that people are awful, and slow, and stupid, so very stupid. But people are good. 
My friends kid turns 18 later this month. Everything was canceled and he was pretty bummed because we were all looking forward to his birthday/grad party. So instead she’s taking him on a tour of all his friends houses and we are each putting on a karaoke show for him.

my family is doing balaga from Natasha Pierre and the great comet of 1812 and the thriller dance.  

LINK
Wow that is awesome!

A friend of mine has a smaller one,  Harvester maybe?

Only ridden in it a couple times and is super awesome. 
International Harvester is the maker. They are known for trucks and farm equipment, but in the 60s and 70s they made these to compete with the Ford Bronco of the day. Probably your buddy had the earlier model, the Scout 80/800 models, made in the 60s. Mine is a Scout II, which is the later model. Mine is also the Traveler version, which is a bunch longer in wheelbase. Fun cars. 

What I've done the last week (in addition to WFH where I've been able to get more done than in the office)....

Friday - Pressure wash wooden  back deck so I can stain it Sunday.

Saturday - use filler on cracks and sand deck so I can stain it Sunday

Sunday - watch the 20% chance of rain come down in a consistent light rain all day so I couldn't stain

Monday - after work I did most of the cutting in next to house ( paint like stain)

Tuesday - after work I got one of my sons to help me and we finished the entire deck first coat. 

Today - took long lunch to apply second and final coat to main deck and apply some touchup. And started drinking during 230 call to celebrate.

still love this thread oats what is your toy car take that to the bank brohan
that is a sweet ride i never had an ih but a buddy of mine a long time back had a scout it was sweet as well one hell of a vehicle take that to the bank bromigo

so here is a rare serious swc post i have had a lot of health problems in the last couple of years basically i sometimes feel like my body is just giving up on me but shes got a lot of miles on her and anyhow i had a heart attack in late february and frankly i am lucky to be alive it was serious it was bad and i didnt go to the docs like i should have and was basically a dope but when i did finally go in they fixed me up over the course of four hours on the cath lab table and so it has meant a lot of changes in my life with calming down and taking stuff off my schedule and eating a lot better and going for walks like it is my job so the shutdown has given me nothing but time to get my you know what together and apologize to my lady for scaring her and trying to make things right and thanking the big kahuna upstairs for giving me a second shot at this and im still here and docs say im doing well and like my nurse said gods plan for you is that you would tell everyone even guys who appear to be in good shape like i did to just take the time and get there cholesterol checked and who knows maybe one of you reading this will and maybe it will matter take that to the bank bromigos  
We luv ya buddy. Glad you’re ok and you can take that to the bank bromigo 

My eldest daughter turned 9 today. Hard for kids not to be able to have a party or really celebrate their birthday. People in my town have been doing a cool thing for the kids on their birthdays where friends and family do a car parade past their house, honking horns and with balloons and signs. My daughter thought just her grandma was going to drive by and say hello. She was so overwhelmed, almost in tears at all the people who came out.  Even her teacher showed up!  Really sweet.

People are good. I know that people are awful, and slow, and stupid, so very stupid. But people are good. 
This is truly awesome. It doesn't change my overall life philosophy which is "People suck." But this does provide a glimmer of hope.

BTW, wife and I both have ours this month. I doubt anyone drives by.  :kicksrock:

We luv ya buddy. Glad you’re ok and you can take that to the bank bromigo 
thanks cappy and oats and all i still get choked up about it all mostly for what i put my wife and kids through and hell i cant even look at my caridologist without choking up for her keeping me around and the nice words and hearts and stuff up there are getting my heart up in my throat now so i appreciate it is what i am getting at so there is a good thing about coronoavirus take that to the bank bromigos 

I don't know why but I always thought you were invincible.   :lmao:        Glad you're doing better and you seem to have a nice outlook on life.   👍

• Thanks
Been able to introduce my kids (young) to super mario bros. on a nintendo emulator (retropi).

They're doing very well and enjoying it.

It's awesome.

Been able to introduce my kids (young) to super mario bros. on a nintendo emulator (retropi).

They're doing very well and enjoying it.

It's awesome.
You're doing the Lord's work with that. My kids like the Mario games on the Wii, but I haven't introduced them to what the games were really like.

You're doing the Lord's work with that. My kids like the Mario games on the Wii, but I haven't introduced them to what the games were really like.
I'm only a step away from transporting my kids by 30+ years to my childhood, playing Mario and all the other games.

The main differences are: 
1) I have a generic controller, not the original nintendo controller
2) No cartridges to insert into the nintendo, blow on to "fix".

Other than that though, I'm proud of the education they're getting.

Trying to figure out what game is next though.  How do you follow Super Mario Bros for kids who barely play video games?  What's next in the evolution of gaming (granted, I skipped pong, space invaders, etc)?

gianmarco said:
Gas is $1.49/gallon.

I think I was a kid the last time I saw that.
Yeah...its nice...we filled up what will be my son's car the other night.  He was like...its only a little over $20, is that normal.  No son, no its not.  Don't get used to that.  Low gas prices also making it more palatable to let him drive more as we are giving him "drivers ed" right now.

Otis said:

LINK
Love that can on the back for carrying booze with you. 

Yeah...its nice...we filled up what will be my son's car the other night.  He was like...its only a little over $20, is that normal.  No son, no its not.  Don't get used to that.  Low gas prices also making it more palatable to let him drive more as we are giving him "drivers ed" right now.
$1.15/gal here right now.  Too bad we don't drive anywhere that often so no need to fill up.

It's definitely been a stimulus to our checkbook.  Never realized how much we eat out and how much we spend on gas with kids in baseball and competitive cheer.  It's like I got a 10% raise :lmao:   It's also been good to get to know our kids again outside of the parent/child dynamic.  I've been missing out on a lot of that sort of thing amid all the hustle and bustle life creates.  It's been nice to get back to that.  Turns out, my 3 year old is a freakin' savant with puzzles.  He had a Star Wars 250 piece puzzle put together in like an hour.  It was remarkable to watch.  This kid might be my golden goose!!!!

It's definitely been a stimulus to our checkbook.  Never realized how much we eat out and how much we spend on gas 
Man, this is the truth. My wife does all the bills for the house and mentioned the other day she was able to dump a bunch into savings this past month.  So we got that going for us, which is nice. 

Man, this is the truth. My wife does all the bills for the house and mentioned the other day she was able to dump a bunch into savings this past month.  So we got that going for us, which is nice. 
Literally the same scenario at mine.  Me and the wife are some of the fortunate ones that are able to both work from home (her 100%, me about 75%), but we haven't eaten out since early March.  Wife told me yesterday she paid a chunk off on the credit card with what we saved from cooking & not driving to work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of my savings in not eating out as much (we have done take out from a local spot once a week) and gas has been eaten up by the amount of food my kids eat when they aren't busy all the time.  The amount of cereal and ice cream we go through is nuts.

Literally the same scenario at mine.  Me and the wife are some of the fortunate ones that are able to both work from home (her 100%, me about 75%), but we haven't eaten out since early March.  Wife told me yesterday she paid a chunk off on the credit card with what we saved from cooking & not driving to work. 
Gas bill for us is HUGE.  Even though I work from home, I take the kids to school and pick them up in the mornings.  It's about 6-7 miles each way.  My wife works a town up from us and that's about 10 miles away.  That's also where my son plays baseball.  Quick math says that 200ish miles a week we don't drive between the two of us for her work, kids' school and kids' extracurricular (not counting times we travel to other cities for my daughter's cheer competitions).  

We are also sponsoring a lot of Spanish language content on TV and social media right now. Because:

- Native Spanish speakers don’t trust the government, so they don’t comply with recommendations at the same rate as other populations.

- Spanish speakers are disproportionately involved in the economy right now as “essential workers” because they represent a high percentage of workers in the construction, agriculture and food prep industries.

- Vulnerable populations in normal times, when tend to be black and brown, are even more distressed today.

So I feel both good at what we are doing, and amused when our partners send over content for me to approve. I can barely order a beer in Spanish. As far as I know, they’re telling people to have daily mass gatherings in the park and cough on each other.

SWC said:
Thanks for sharing bromigo. Didn’t know you had the heart attack. Welcome to the FBG club of 2nd chancers. Messes with your head for awhile but every day back it gets better. Glad you’re with us and spreading the word for guys to get checked

Otis said:

My 5yo (well, he'll be 5 on Saturday) was devastated that we can't have his party. We've had an influx of homemade cards over the past few days from the neighborhood and family. He gets so excited when the mail comes, it almost makes up for it. Then I think who sent it and who handled it but I hope I'm just being paranoid.

We're on a relatively busy intersection so a parade isn't likely but people are asking if they can drive by at 11:30, 1:45, 3:10 or whatever to beep so we're making a "Beep for George" sign for Saturday and going from there. Just hoping to get some decent weather, which doesn't look promising at the moment but we'll make it work.

SWC said:
Much love, GB. One day we'll have a rap and a beer or 6, hopefully celebrating an Anteaternintendo or Brew Crew championship but in the meantime stay safe and be healthy. Roll over on the old lady and put 'er in the old vice. Take that to the bank swcer

• Thanks
Have actually lost weight.

Not always running kids somewhere or having meetings (my bit of consulting work has come to a halt) has given me time.  I used to eat whatever was quickest as a snack or even some lunches.  Sometimes barely eating or just grabbing a protein bar or some other crap.   With more time now I take the time to make myself a protein and fruit smoothie or a salad pretty much every day for lunch.  Being in the house with the whole family, where I am normally used to some time with nobody here...Ive made it important to my own physical and mental health to get outside every day.  So had already started slowly back into running just before this started...but now I either run, ride my bike, or walk for an hour 6 days a week...and add in a walk with my wife and sometimes our daughter at least 2 nights a week after dinner.

On the whole I have been cooking a bit healthier too...scored some meat from a friend who works for a restaurant food distributor and he was able to buy in bulk at cost and cut me in with the order he made for his family.   So a bunch of chicken, salmon, and sirloins.  Nothing in huge portions which is good.  Grilling more and relying on frozen vegetables that my wife and I like steamed.

Helps that before this I had given up hard liquor and chips for Lent and have stuck with both other than our one Mexican take out night where I had chips and salsa and we got togo margaritas.

The no liquor has also helped the budget a little as I used to have a few drinks 2-3 nights a week.  Now I may have 2-3 beers about one night a week (less sports to watch tends to lead to less drinking).  

Oh, and no family Easter means no cascarones! I won't be picking confetti out of every crease on my body for the next three months.

Last time I put in gas in a vehicle remains Feb 26th.
This has become the most beautiful thing for us.  I filled up my truck the beginning of March and the needle hasn't moved off of full yet.  We are saving $300-$400 a month easy just on gas.

I don’t remember what thread it was, but someone recently got a dog and recommended I look into it. That planted the seed. My wife was similarly considering. Our girls are ages 3-9, and we figured we would do it eventually anyway. And what better time to do it than when we are stuck home and can easily house train, won’t be traveling anytime soon, and we can all use the uplift in spirits. 

So we took the plunge. No we didn’t get a pit bull from a rescue thingy.  We got a labradoodle. Which sounds pretty gray without the R but they’re actuslly kind of cool. 

It turns out EVERYONE has the same idea right now. We checked the local shelters and they are down to various pit mixes and that’s it, and no puppies. So we started looking at breeders.  Most are completely swamped and have waiting lists that go out months.  

We found an awesome puppy from a breeder through an online middleman. In true Otis fashion we are paying thousands, because that’s just how I roll. But I really don’t care about the money.  Want to try and do this now, and excited to do so. No waiting list, got the pick of the litter from what sounds like at least a decent breeder in Indiana, and we’ll have the dog in a month.

Our girls have absolutely no idea, and I’m honestly more excited for this than anything we’ve done in a long time. It’s going to absolutely blow their minds. 

So yeah, Otis is becoming a kind of dog nerd.  But heavens is he a handsome pup.
He’s way cuter than my pound reject Pepe. Your girls will love him. Congratulations!!

Users who are viewing this thread