What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For Those Who Play in Multiple Big $$$ Leagues (1 Viewer)

sspunisher

Footballguy
Do you diversify your talent or do you go ALL IN and try to draft the exact same team for every league (as the draft allows)?

Obviously these are two extremes, so I'd like a little discussion going on eveyone's thought process. Usually 75% of my players are similar and I make a concentrated effort to diversify the rest, but I was contemplating going all in this year. Let's hear it.

The first few rounds are determined more by draft order. In the latter rounds I tend to select the same players over and over. I can't see myself drafting a player I like less for the sake of diversifying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to target the same guys mostly, but I do on occasion say to myself don't put all you're eggs in one basket. A serious injury and bam, all you're teams are facing an uphill battle.

The first few rounds are determined more by draft order. In the latter rounds I tend to select the same players over and over. I can't see myself drafting a player I like less for the sake of diversifying.
BPA for all drafts here!
I think these 2 posts are both how I'd describe my thinking. If you go BPA by your own board, you are likely to end up with a lot of the same players in the mid to late rounds because there are certain guys you will have ranked higher than their ADPs. Like last year if you really liked Jimmy Graham and targeted him the the 5th-7th round of all drafts, it's possible you could have ended up with him on almost every team. I had some guys like that last year (Graham, Reggie Bush, AJ Green, Jacoby Ford, Danny Amendola, Jermaine Gresham, etc.) and ended up having 3 or 4 of those guys on each team. You may get beat to the punch on some of "your" guys, but odds are you'll notice there are certain guys that you end up with more than others. Those mid-late round guys you believe in are usually what make or break you. Closer to the top of the draft, I think it is much less likely to end up with the same players on multiple teams. You may have really liked Ray Rice last year for example, but weren't going to be in position to get him in many leagues unless you were in close to the same draft position in all of your leagues (unlikely). I think in the first 2-3 rounds, going BPA usually should lead to a lot of diversity as far as your "stars" on each team. I will say though that if I have 2 guys ranked extremely closely and already own one of them elsewhere, I may use that as a tie-breaker. It's just easier and more enjoyable (for me at least) to be able to root for a handful of guys each week that you have on multiple teams. For example last year, I already owned Lesean McCoy in one league and had him ranked almost dead even with Ray Rice which led me to take Shady over Rice in a 2nd league.

I try to get similar players (I do my research for a reason, and I believe in my research) but I will diversify too. For instance, one league I'm taking over for a crap team. It's a two player keeper, and one of the keepers is Fitz. I'm not thrilled about Fitz..so in another league I'm joining as an expansion owner and Fitz will be available in the expansion draft, I'll probably pass on him. Another example, if I had the #1 pick twice in re-draft (pending format) I'd go Foster in one and McCoy/Rice in the other. However, the guys I have pegged as breakouts or values, I will try to draft in each league. It can be annoying owning one guy and playing against him in your other league. So, for top players at each spot (i.e Foster vs McCoy, Graham vs Gronk, Fitz vs Andre) I will split the difference if I can, and for most of the other players I will try to get them on both teams.

I agree that you shouldn't take a player you like less for the sake of diversifying. But I'm sure all of us have a few players that are pretty much equal in terms of how much we like them and where they are getting drafted. When it comes to tie-breakers, seems like some of you would rather take the same player you have in another league, while others take a player you may not have.

The more I think about it, the better I think it would be to limit diversification as much as possible (without completely eliminating it).

Just curious, what leagues are you playing in this year?
Well I'm in a couple private leagues but I've heard there are websites out there that put random people together with different buy in options. Obviously the website takes a cut, but I've never actually checked one of these sites out. Any recommendations?I've used DraftStreet before but that's a week to week thing. I prefer standard leagues where you draft before the season starts.

Do a Member Search for a poster here named Unlucky. Almost every long-time serious player here has played in one of Unlucky's Phenoms Leagues over the years, and he has plenty of High Entry Fee options. I'm sure you'll find a thread started by him in the Looking For Leagues Forum, titled something like 'Phenoms Fantasy Football'. Leagues are efficiently run, payouts are prompt, and competition is stiff. Good Luck!

Do you diversify your talent or do you go ALL IN and try to draft the exact same team for every league (as the draft allows)?Obviously these are two extremes, so I'd like a little discussion going on eveyone's thought process. Usually 75% of my players are similar and I make a concentrated effort to diversify the rest, but I was contemplating going all in this year. Let's hear it.
All things being equal I'd rather diversify the talent but probably ends up being something similar to what you posted were 50-75% of the teams are similar.I have not and will never take a player I consider inferior because I already own him someplace else but if I'm torn between two players I might be more inclined to take the lesser owned player. That as has much to do with not wanting to put all my eggs in one basket as it does that the more players I have to root for it adds to the overall enjoyment of playing.

Users who are viewing this thread