What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) in Baltimore collapes (1 Viewer)

Massive crane should arrive today . They expect about 4 weeks to clear the channel enough to get things moving.
I think it's sitting on a barge out there now, unless they have an even bigger one coming.
Yeah, caught a pic of it from the live stream. https://imgur.com/a/IjyKaAM
If that's the one I heard about on the news earlier, it's the largest crane of its type in the united States. I just saw some video taken from a helicopter flying overhead. When you see large boats going past the barge, you can really tell how massive that thing is.

I work with cranes every day and most are in the 100-250 ton range. I can't even imagine what that crane is rated for.

Massive crane should arrive today . They expect about 4 weeks to clear the channel enough to get things moving.
the first thing that popped in to my head was "wonder how much that crane operator gets paid?" is he salaried? hourly? what kind of training does it take to operate one of those things?

maybe that's a question for EvilKeith
Hourly, I'm almost positive. I don't know what the guys qualified to run that behemoth make, but I know union operators on "normal" cranes make money that would have your eyes popping out of your head.
It depends who is paying for it, if it's going to be paid for by the responsible party then there is no limit on how much they can charge but if it's Federal then there will be a set contract rate that has already been agreed upon.

the first thing that popped in to my head was "wonder how much that crane operator gets paid?" is he salaried? hourly? what kind of training does it take to operate one of those things?

Hourly, I'm almost positive. I don't know what the guys qualified to run that behemoth make, but I know union operators on "normal" cranes make money that would have your eyes popping out of your head.
It depends who is paying for it, if it's going to be paid for by the responsible party then there is no limit on how much they can charge but if it's Federal then there will be a set contract rate that has already been agreed upon.
Right - union scale. But there are probably less than a few dozen operators who can run this machine. There are extraordinary union rates for guys like these.

I think it's sitting on a barge out there now, unless they have an even bigger one coming.
If that's the one I heard about on the news earlier, it's the largest crane of its type in the united States. I just saw some video taken from a helicopter flying overhead. When you see large boats going past the barge, you can really tell how massive that thing is.

I work with cranes every day and most are in the 100-250 ton range. I can't even imagine what that crane is rated for.
According to the feed it's 1000 ton. https://www.donjon.com/ches1000.htm

The federal government has already committed 60 mil to get the effort underway.

That's a whopper.

i believe it. feels like a crane this size is something that not many people around the world are qualified to do.
again, could be way off there.

i believe it. feels like a crane this size is something that not many people around the world are qualified to do.
again, could be way off there.
There's a heavy machinery training center near me in New Jersey. Well about an hour away from me it's been there forever. I have no idea what it takes to get entrance into that training but there is a facility

1,000 tons, two million pounds, wow! The steel on top of the cargo ship is estimated at 8 million pounds. They are going to have to cut it into a few pieces.

According to the morning news.

Last edited:

My sister-in-law has a construction company and my experience in talking to her over the years is that, with anything both construction related and highly specialized, the numbers are insane.

According to Google the best of the best crane operators are clearing 100k a year.

Edit approximately 42 crane operators a year die on the job in the US out of a workforce of 45,000.

Last edited:
According to Google the best of the best crane operators are clearing 100k a year.

Edit approximately 42 crane operators a year die on the job in the US out of a workforce of 45,000.
It's way more than $100k, depending on the market. Union operators in the NE are making north of $70/hour on straight time. You get into OT and the prizes can double or triple. That doesn't include per diems or perks.

There was a 1000 ton crane working on some bridge overpasses near me recently. It was absolutely massive. It was so big, I’m not even sure how they transport the treads, let alone the rest of it.

Another countries boat destroys an American bridge who pays for it? We do. If an American boat destroys another countries bridge who pays for it? We do.

Another countries boat destroys an American bridge who pays for it? We do. If an American boat destroys another countries bridge who pays for it? We do.
We aren't paying for this
That's good to know. You mean outside of the initial quick release of 60 million?

$60 Million in ‘Quick Release’ Emergency Relief funds are a down payment on Maryland’s initial costs for emergency repairs, design, and reconstruction of the bridge

So the issue here is while we investigate what was a complex set of circumstances, and ownership levels where someone likely is going to write the policy and some other party is bankrupt we should just...wait.

Ok.

That's good to know. You mean outside of the initial quick release of 60 million?

$60 Million in ‘Quick Release’ Emergency Relief funds are a down payment on Maryland’s initial costs for emergency repairs, design, and reconstruction of the bridge
The US government is fronting out money that should be repaid when insurance settles. So depending on how you view facts we are paying for it and also not paying for it.

The US government is fronting out money that should be repaid when insurance settles. So depending on how you view facts we are paying for it and also not paying for it.
Guess I'm mistaken. I just assumed this wouldn't go as it should. I apologize for my negative Nancy stance. Should work out fine. Ha ha

You wreck a car, you can wait the few weeks while insurance gets settled. Maybe you rent a car for the few weeks, or borrow a friends.

A giant cargo wrecks a giant bridge. You can’t wait months/years to get the process started. Thus the feds coming in and fronting some money until it gets sorted out.

Guess I'm mistaken. I just assumed this wouldn't go as it should. I apologize for my negative Nancy stance. Should work out fine. Ha ha
You have 2 options.

Option A) wait until all the insurance fighting is settled then start work

Option B) front the money now and get started

It's no different than getting in a car accident that isn't your fault. I need to front my $500 deductible until my insurance can get it from the other guy

Surprisenly enough my brain understands how insurance works and also understands the car accident analogy to explain it. I'm saying that after years of litigation on this horrible tragedy to think the United States government is going to cover ZERO dollars of the estimated 3 billion price tag just seems unlikely. We won't know for years, maybe we can bump this thread in 2026. Ha ha.

I'm gonna guess when all is said and done we cover 1/3 of the costs. A cool billion of the costs.

Surprisenly enough my brain understands how insurance works and also understands the car accident analogy to explain it. I'm saying that after years of litigation on this horrible tragedy to think the United States government is going to cover ZERO dollars of the estimated 3 billion price tag just seems unlikely. We won't know for years, maybe we can bump this thread in 2026. Ha ha.

I'm gonna guess when all is said and done we cover 1/3 of the costs. A cool billion of the costs.

you'd rather it not get paid for and done quickly?

What's the alternative?

What's the alternative?
Travel via land.

What's the alternative?
Travel via land.
Isnt a bridge land? 🤔

What's the alternative?
Travel via land.
Floating cars

It's way more than $100k, depending on the market. Union operators in the NE are making north of $70/hour on straight time. You get into OT and the prizes can double or triple. That doesn't include per diems or perks.
Dang, house painters around here are pulling in $70 an hours and plumbers $150-$400 an hour depending on demand and relationship. When people were saying these crane operators were making huge scratch I was thinking $500 an hour.

I understand keeping an eye on spending and waste.

This is not that. The damage to the economy of that port, the cascading effects of any person or business relying on that port are impossible to calculate, but I bet the number is big and getting bigger daily. This isn't a local problem. Anything involving international shipping is a problem, to a degree, for all of us.

The government spending a cool billion is tying off the damage. Worry about recouping from the insurance companies later.

I understand keeping an eye on spending and waste.

This is not that. The damage to the economy of that port, the cascading effects of any person or business relying on that port are impossible to calculate, but I bet the number is big and getting bigger daily. This isn't a local problem. Anything involving international shipping is a problem, to a degree, for all of us.

The government spending a cool billion is tying off the damage. Worry about recouping from the insurance companies later.

The other thing people miss is if ships aren't unloaded then alot of people don't get paid, then taxes don't get collected and so on.

Dang, house painters around here are pulling in $70 an hours and plumbers $150-$400 an hour depending on demand and relationship. When people were saying these crane operators were making huge scratch I was thinking $500 an hour.
The numbers I mentioned were prevailing wages/union scale for "regular" operators and don't include fringes. That's for company operators. Comparing them to independent trade guys is apples to oranges. Those operators don't own the crane, don't have maintenance responsibilities, insurance requirements etc....

They folks who can run these cranes may well be making $300/hour - there are so few of them certified. I just don't know off-hand and was being conservative.

What's the alternative?
Travel via land.
You know we could probably solve a lot of problems if we just took down all the bridges in the country.

How about a floating pontoon bridge that you snap apart when a big ship comes by?
Sounds efficient.
My parents had a place on Sunset Beach, NC for about 20 years. Up until about 7-8 years ago, the only way on and off the island was a one-lane pontoon swing bridge over the Intercoastal waterway. For smaller crafts there were a number of scheduled times of the day it would open and they could come through. For larger commercial crafts they would open it. It made getting on and off the island a pain. Some people actually loved that because it tended to keep the island from getting too crowded.

Of course, it started to become dilapidated and every big storm/hurricane threatened to float it away. So the built a huge concrete bridge now to get on and off the island.

But yeah, pontoon bridges were/are totally a thing.

How about a floating pontoon bridge that you snap apart when a big ship comes by?
Sounds efficient.
My parents had a place on Sunset Beach, NC for about 20 years. Up until about 7-8 years ago, the only way on and off the island was a one-lane pontoon swing bridge over the Intercoastal waterway. For smaller crafts there were a number of scheduled times of the day it would open and they could come through. For larger commercial crafts they would open it. It made getting on and off the island a pain. Some people actually loved that because it tended to keep the island from getting too crowded.

Of course, it started to become dilapidated and every big storm/hurricane threatened to float it away. So the built a huge concrete bridge now to get on and off the island.

But yeah, pontoon bridges were/are totally a thing.

I am only charging 180million for my idea.

I have attended countless meetings and events pushing for a $6.4 billion renovation of the land near there. It’s been tied up with the environmentalist, but luckily a cargo ship just cleared the way for an emergency.

I’m gonna go ahead and just guess that the six+ billion dollar project gets approved now

I wouldn't do that for less than a million a year for a forty hour week. 750k for twenty hours a week actually. Some things are just not worth the money imo.

Users who are viewing this thread