What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freeman benched for Glennon (1 Viewer)

[paraphrasing]

"After meeting with you guys (the media) after the game on Sunday and again on Monday, I told you that Josh was our starting quarterback -- because he was. Then Mark Dominik and I had some intense meetings, trying to decide what is best for our football team. Met with ownership and as a group decided that Mike Glennon is now our starting quarterback."

Blah blah blah.

just scooped up arizona defense.

not sure why vegas still has tampa as favorites but they also see 40 total points as a benchmark for the game.

all the writings is arizona should win this one defensively.

i see 3 int, 2 fumble recovery, 4 sacks....and thats being conservative. maybe a pick 6 at the end of the game...

27-3 final score. arizona.

Glennon is terrible right now IMO, this team is a couple plays from 2-1, now the season is about to go down the drain. Glennon is nowhere close to being ready to start. Massive downgrade for skill players IMO. It is AZ but I think the team is not going to respond well to this, Freeman is liked on the team not hated and he has kept his nose clean, held his chin up despite being ridiculed by the coach, hang in there Josh, your day is going to come.
Should we give him one week before we declare Glennon terrible?
Nah we have all seen enough of him to declare him a bust. Freeman and his 40% completion % was obviously the man to lead Tampa back to glory.

Good move IMO. Schiano's job is on the line and clearly Freeman won't be good enough so might as well give the kid and shot to see if it can turn your season around. If not, then he was likely going to be fired anyways so no biggie.

Wasn't there one prominent scout who was going ape#### on Glennon leading up to the draft (or possibly towards the end of the college season) and insisting he could be a top 10 pick? Anyone remember?
Greg Cosell was had some positive things to say.

After hundreds of hours of tape-watching, Cosell continues to see the signal-caller hierarchy in a different light than the masses.

Cosell on Friday said he would "rather have" N.C. State's Mike Glennon than Smith.

"I would argue that, in my opinion, Glennon could (go) late in the first round and I wouldn't have a problem with that at all," Cosell told NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" on Friday. "As I talked about his attributes, I think he has probably -- of the quarterbacks in this class -- more of the attributes that you look for than maybe any other quarterback in this class."

Cosell sees the 6-foot-7, 225-pound Glennon as a passer willing to stand in the pocket and fire the ball into tight windows on third-and-long.

"I think the thing that stands out with him, first of all, his functional mobility for a big man is far better than people might give him credit for," Cosell said. "You see him move out of the pocket and make throws. He can do that. The thing I really like about him is his willingness to pull the trigger. You've got to do that in the NFL."

Glennon's decision-making must improve, Cosell acknowledged -- one reason he's not seen as a top 10 pick -- but "at the end of the day, he has traits and attributes you look for when you evaluate quarterbacks and transition them to the National Football League."

So, instead of talking smack about schiano and feeling sorry for freeman can we get to the real pertinent questions here:

1) does anyone have any scouting on mike Glennan from college? What style of offense did he run? How nfl ready is he? How was he in preseason? What are the reports out of bucs practices? Does he throw a good deep ball? Strong or weak arm?

2) what does this do for the skill positions in the bucs? Doug Martin will surely see more work but he will also see stacked boxes until Glennan can show them that he can beat them with his arm. That might actually bode well for vjax/mike Williams.

Thoughts?
Do you have any answers or just wanted point out that people were not discussing what you wanted them to discuss?
At the time when I posted that I didn't have answers BC I don't follow college football closely and had no beat on glennon whatsoever .

But I don't think it's what I wanted them to discuss...I think it's what MOST people here want to discuss.

Freeman is old news now. Fantasy football is all about now and moving forward.

Sorry if I offended you though
discussing NFL topics in the shark pool is allowed, and freeman is an nfl topic

A short while ago on 620 WDAE the guy who hosts the Josh Freeman radio show dropped a bazillion hints on the air that Freeman has some sort of alcohol/substance abuse problem and that this is the reason for his benching and the decline in his quality of play over the past 2 years. The morning show on the same station also discussed unspecified rumors about Freeman. If true then it seems unlikely Freeman will start again for the Bucs or that any other team is going to be interested in trading for him.

Raiderfan32904 said:
RUSF18 said:
Raider Nation said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Raider Nation said:
I believe this is what they call "rock bottom"...

The Associated Press reports the Jaguars have "zero interest" in acquiring benched Bucs QB Josh Freeman.
gulp. damm
OTOH, perhaps the thinking is that Freeman would help them avoid the 1.01 pick? Which is bad.
He's also due $8MM this year. Not exactly a cheap flyer.
Now this makes a ton more sense. Jags are tightwads.
Not at all, but keep on keepin' on.

The Flacco vs Freeman comparison is interesting because their regular season production while in the league has been similar. Flacco has been better overall but not by much. Freeman has in fact had the best single season regular season of the two. If Freeman has a substance abuse problem that would explain a lot, but if not he has certainly played well enough over his career to deserve another shot somewhere.

As far Glennon, I will be very surprised if he shows much over the first handful of games. He could develop, but what I saw in preseason was a long long way from even a solid NFL QB.

However, the odds of Glennon being able to perform better than the above listed statistics are actually fairly high. I'd suggest at least 50/50.
I agree, but I would add that the odds of Freeman performing better than those numbers are almost certainly better than 50/50. I hope that this move was motivated by a large leap in performance by Glennon in practice, because in preseason he looked far from ready.
:goodposting:

I was going to post the same thing.
Also agree.

Really think Schiano undermined Freeman (or Freeman has a serious problem, as has been hinted at). But regardless of exactly why it's happened the bar has been set so low that Glennon might be better without being good.
I agree with both of you guys, too. I would expect Freeman to improve over his first three games of this year. It would be hard for him not to do better. However, given the growth that Glennon could experience, I have no problem with this move.

I don't think Freeman is a complete stiff, but I fail to see why so many people are against this move. Freeman has not really improved during his time in the league. His best performances may have come at the end of his second season. If he is having off-field issues, perhaps this helps him recognize the need to get help. But maybe he's just not that talented.

Flacco goes into contract year. Refuses to negotiate in-season. Bets on himself. Wins Super Bowl. Gets $20M+ contract.

Freeman goes into contract year. Benched after 3 games. Hope he saved his money.
Main difference is that Flacco left money at the table gambling for more, and he won!

Freeman didn't even have an ante chip at his table.
Fair point.

Schiano is more than a half hour late for his presser on NFLN. Wonder if he's changing his mind. :oldunsure:
Maybe he overslept.

Right, so it seems he has a bit of john Skelton or Derek Anderson in him. Strong armed qb that takes shots down the field. This bodes well for vjax.

Look guys, if brian hoyer can step in a make Josh Gordon relevant, mike Glennan can do the same for vjax or mike Williams. Or both.

I'd be more worried about Doug Martin, who will see a lot of 8 and 9 man fronts until Glenno gives them a reason to do otherwise.
Josh Gordon was relevant before Hoyer, and VJax and Mike WIlliams were relevant before Glennon. This is a coach on the hot seat swinging for the fences with a young QB that likely is not ready, very similar to Del Rio and Gabbert two years ago.

That is why the other discussion is relevant. If Schiano was on solid ground as a head coach and making a move to a rookie is would read as Glennon being ready to take over, when the coach is on the hot seat it looks more like a desperation move.
It is also a contingency plan for if Freeman plays badly. Which he has. Freeman got away with some dangerous jump ball throws to Jackson last season. That is playing with fire however. Freeman is not consistent and now Jackson has a rib injury as well (happens when your going for wild jump balls a lot, the defenders can't really contest the catch so they instead focus on the hit).

The running game and other parts of the offense are based off of teams needing to defend Jackson. So if he doesn't play Glennon is at more of a disadvantage than Freeman was. Hard to expect him to play better with weaker weapons, the top defensive back then covers Williams and defense gets easier.

Hoyer is a 5 year QB. He has had some time to develop. Glennon is a rookie, so who knows?

I do like Glennon as a QB prospect. 2nd to Manuel out of a really bad QB class, Although Geno Smith has played better than I expected. 4 of these rookie QBs will play in week 4? :o

I feel more like I am watching college football more than pro football.

A short while ago on 620 WDAE the guy who hosts the Josh Freeman radio show dropped a bazillion hints on the air that Freeman has some sort of alcohol/substance abuse problem and that this is the reason for his benching and the decline in his quality of play over the past 2 years. The morning show on the same station also discussed unspecified rumors about Freeman. If true then it seems unlikely Freeman will start again for the Bucs or that any other team is going to be interested in trading for him.
Obviously only speculation at this point but based on everything i've read that seems like a reasonably likely scenario.

Right, so it seems he has a bit of john Skelton or Derek Anderson in him. Strong armed qb that takes shots down the field. This bodes well for vjax.

Look guys, if brian hoyer can step in a make Josh Gordon relevant, mike Glennan can do the same for vjax or mike Williams. Or both.

I'd be more worried about Doug Martin, who will see a lot of 8 and 9 man fronts until Glenno gives them a reason to do otherwise.
Josh Gordon was relevant before Hoyer, and VJax and Mike WIlliams were relevant before Glennon. This is a coach on the hot seat swinging for the fences with a young QB that likely is not ready, very similar to Del Rio and Gabbert two years ago.

That is why the other discussion is relevant. If Schiano was on solid ground as a head coach and making a move to a rookie is would read as Glennon being ready to take over, when the coach is on the hot seat it looks more like a desperation move.
But it's not relevant because now, "it is what it is". We can speculate all we want on how or why Freeman got benched but it won't help us on fantasy.

Obviously only speculation at this point but based on everything i've read that seems like a reasonably likely scenario.
I will say that physically, Freeman looks much skinnier in an unhealthy way. Speedy drugs like cocaine or meth would certainly do that.

The nfl does drug testing. If the Bucs thought freeman was a junkie they would have benched him a long time ago. You don't let a cokehead lead your team unless you're the Raiders. I don't buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The nfl does drug testing. If the Bucs thought freeman was a junkie they would have benched him a long time ago. You don't let a cokehead lead your team unless you're the Raiders. I don't buy it.
Cocaine leaves your body within 72 hours. Im not saying he is a coke head. Im just saying if it came out that he is a coke head, i wouldnt really be surprised especially since local personalities seem to think he has a substance abuse problem.

This means 3 N.C. State alumni will start at QB this week: Rivers, Wilson, and Glennon. I think only a handful of schools have ever had that distinction: BYU, USC, Miami, and Notre Dame. Any others?

Glad I've held Glennon in dynasty. I don't think he's ready but baptism by fire seems appropriate right about now.

This means 3 N.C. State alumni will start at QB this week: Rivers, Wilson, and Glennon. I think only a handful of schools have ever had that distinction: BYU, USC, Miami, and Notre Dame. Any others?
Really? I'm not sure NC State can take credit for Wilson on this one....

Don't have time to verify this as I'm on the road but I would think there's a good chance that BAMA QB's Joe Namath (Rams), Richard Todd (Jets) and Ken Stabler (Raiders) all started a game on the same week. 1977-ish?

The rumors about Freeman's fondness of coke and partying are starting to really heat up. People in the know will start piling on with stories to tell now that he's benched. This could get interesting. Not sure if it's true or if it affected his play, but the smoke has already turned into a fire.

Really? I'm not sure NC State can take credit for Wilson on this one....
He graduated from N.C. State and played football there for 4 years (he redshirted his first year). He was the 1st team All ACC QB there in 2008 and 2nd team All ACC QB in 2010. He ranks:

2nd in N.C. State history and 2nd in ACC history with 93 total TDs

2nd in N.C. State history and 3rd in ACC history with 76 touchdown passes

3rd in N.C. State history and 8th in ACC history with 9,628 yards of total offense

3rd in N.C. State history and 12th in ACC history with 8,545 career passing yards

2nd in N.C. State history with 682 career completions

3rd in N.C. State history with 1,180 attempts

These are facts that cannot be disputed. There is no question about "taking credit" for him. :wolf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have time to verify this as I'm on the road but I would think there's a good chance that BAMA QB's Joe Namath (Rams), Richard Todd (Jets) and Ken Stabler (Raiders) all started a game on the same week. 1977-ish?
I was wondering about them. OK, so maybe there is a sixth school... :wolf:

By the way, that is also 7 ACC QBs: Rivers, Wilson, Glennon, Ryan, Schaub, Ponder, and Manuel. (Not including Vick, since when he played, Virginia Tech was not in the ACC.)

That's not bad for a football conference generally regarded as (one of) the weakest BCS conference.

Thank you RickyG for asking the questions that matter.

As a Doug Martin owner this horrifies me. But then again we've seen back up qb's come in and spark a team.
Glennon can't be any worse than Freeman . . .

Hopefully they get more conservative - that actually helps Martin.

Glennon is terrible right now IMO, this team is a couple plays from 2-1, now the season is about to go down the drain. Glennon is nowhere close to being ready to start. Massive downgrade for skill players IMO. It is AZ but I think the team is not going to respond well to this, Freeman is liked on the team not hated and he has kept his nose clean, held his chin up despite being ridiculed by the coach, hang in there Josh, your day is going to come.
The team is a loser with Freeman. Dude sucks bad. Time to find out if Glennon is a loser too.
amen.

Michigan? Tom Brady, Brian Greise, Elvis Grbac.
Did they all start the same week(s) in the NFL?
They were all starting QBs in 2001. Brady took over for Bledsoe after week 2 or 3, Greise was starting for the Broncos and Grbac was starting in his final season in the NFL with the Ravens.

Wasn't there one prominent scout who was going ape#### on Glennon leading up to the draft (or possibly towards the end of the college season) and insisting he could be a top 10 pick? Anyone remember?
Greg Cosell was had some positive things to say.

After hundreds of hours of tape-watching, Cosell continues to see the signal-caller hierarchy in a different light than the masses.

Cosell on Friday said he would "rather have" N.C. State's Mike Glennon than Smith.

"I would argue that, in my opinion, Glennon could (go) late in the first round and I wouldn't have a problem with that at all," Cosell told NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" on Friday. "As I talked about his attributes, I think he has probably -- of the quarterbacks in this class -- more of the attributes that you look for than maybe any other quarterback in this class."

Cosell sees the 6-foot-7, 225-pound Glennon as a passer willing to stand in the pocket and fire the ball into tight windows on third-and-long.

"I think the thing that stands out with him, first of all, his functional mobility for a big man is far better than people might give him credit for," Cosell said. "You see him move out of the pocket and make throws. He can do that. The thing I really like about him is his willingness to pull the trigger. You've got to do that in the NFL."

Glennon's decision-making must improve, Cosell acknowledged -- one reason he's not seen as a top 10 pick -- but "at the end of the day, he has traits and attributes you look for when you evaluate quarterbacks and transition them to the National Football League."
So, he's a tall guy with some mobility who has a pretty strong arm, but with questionable decision-making.

Josh Freeman 2.0

Maryland Terrapins in the 90's had six qbs in the league and at least one instance where four of them[SIZE=12.000001907348633px] [/SIZE]started: http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/29/sports/notebook-an-nfl-presence-with-no-pro-experience.html
NOTEBOOK; An N.F.L. Presence With No Pro Experience
By GERALD ESKENAZI
Published: November 29, 1992

When they're up and when they're down, Jim Krivak talks often to his boys in the National Football League.

So last Monday -- "as soon as I heard what happened to Boomer" -- he telephoned Esiason in Cincinnati to talk to him about the future.

Krivak is a coach without a job. He was let go last season as Maryland's head coach after a 2-9 season. But although he has never coached in the pros, he has established an unusual N.F.L. presence: five of his former Terrapin quarterbacks are in the N.F.L. -- Esiason, Neil O'Donnell of Pittsburgh, Stan Gelbaugh of Seattle, Scott Zolak of New England and Frank Reich of Buffalo.

Their fortunes vary. Two weeks ago, four were starting. Today, that number could fall to one: Zolak is the only definite starter.

I saw the Tampa game last week and I couldn't believe how bad Freeman looked. He went from good two years ago to average last year to horrible this year. Everyone around me was saying the same thing - what the #### happened to Freeman? Not surprised to hear the substance abuse rumors.

Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testerverde, Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson...I think Miami might have had 4-5 starting at one time in the NFL. Kelly, Kosar, and Vinny for sure.

Don Quixote said:
RT @GottliebShow: Emmitt Smith thinks Josh Freeman is the escape goat in Tampa #Bucs
:lol: I'd bet he heard that from Michael Irvin...

Nice of the coach to fall on the grenade for his qb w/ the "he's my starter", but "we" had a bunch of meetings and decided to go w/ the kid...

This is just full circle karma for Shciano after his end of game kneel down *strategy* last year.

RE: FF - I'm rolling w/ VJax at the flex in a 14 team league, unless he's not practicing w/ the rib injury. Hopefully Glennon isn't a TO machine and can make some plays. The talent around him on offense has got to be top 15 in the league. Hell, in his first start Hoyer made my browns WRs fantasy relevant. Granted MN isn't SEA on D, but sometimes teams will rally around a change. Will be interesting to watch the next few weeks.

Maybe we should start a CLE / TB support group.

Users who are viewing this thread