What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Friday AMA - last day at architecture firm (1 Viewer)

as a urban planner is having a panera in your town sort of like having it reach rome status or what i do not know if you have tried the french onion soup or not but it is totally awesome take that to the bank bromigo 

:shrug:  not one mention during staff meeting of today being my last day... awkward?  I guess I'll just box my crap up and peace-out at 5.

I have already drafted an email to the handful of folks that I've interacted with here. 
"... so get your time sheets in by 4pm. And one last item, today is the last day for... Im sorry, I forget your name. Nirad.  Nirad?  Really?  Are you sure?  Ok nirad, it's his last day. We're thankful for all he did during his two years...  what?  2 months?  Really?  Ok. Nirad is leaving us finally.  He left an impact. Particularly the upper decker last month. Cake at 3 in the kitchen. Good luck... nirad. Still sounds wrong."

:shrug:  not one mention during staff meeting of today being my last day... awkward?  I guess I'll just box my crap up and peace-out at 5.

I have already drafted an email to the handful of folks that I've interacted with here. 
linked-in the crap out of them.

I'd imagine an architecture firm big enough to hire urban design/planners would either be into some really interesting work (richard meier had urban designers on staff), or absolute drek. and given that it's an architecture firm, yeah- you must've been making beaucoup ducats.

I'd also imagine a developer would probably put you more into what you want to be doing- right? and obviously, while getting paid for it.

congrats on the new gig. :thumbup:  

and #### architects, really.

"... so get your time sheets in by 4pm. And one last item, today is the last day for... Im sorry, I forget your name. Nirad.  Nirad?  Really?  Are you sure?  Ok nirad, it's his last day. We're thankful for all he did during his two years...  what?  2 months?  Really?  Ok. Nirad is leaving us finally.  He left an impact. Particularly the upper decker last month. Cake at 3 in the kitchen. Good luck... nirad. Still sounds wrong."
Well it's weird because I have people emailing me asking if I will be able to help them with stuff next week. :lol:

I'd imagine an architecture firm big enough to hire urban design/planners would either be into some really interesting work (richard meier had urban designers on staff), or absolute drek. and given that it's an architecture firm, yeah- you must've been making beaucoup ducats.

I'd also imagine a developer would probably put you more into what you want to be doing- right? and obviously, while getting paid for it.

disclaimer: "unless they have a propensity towards scarves, as should we all."

While my degree is in urban planning, my 20ish years of work in the industry has been mainly in pre-acquisition due diligence, consulting, and permit expediting.  I had a ton of experience with national brands and this place does deal with a lot of bigger names so they hired me to run the permitting side of things.  But then they started painting me into a corner, wanting me to take on a PM role in telecom; something with which I have no experience nor desire to have.  

I'm moving back into a consulting role where I'll be working with developers and jurisdictions on entitlement issues. Much more in my wheelhouse.

Thanks! :D

Well it's weird because I have people emailing me asking if I will be able to help them with stuff next week. :lol:
Missing opportunities here. Send meeting invites to discuss details/projects. It's after lunch, upper decker, and out the door. I-beverages are on me. 

send meeting requests to people who never work together and have them all show up at the same conference room

will be a whole lotta  :confused: :confused:

my question is that i wish you luck in your new job and shorter commute and will having more time on your hands not driving mean that you will engage in a hobby and if so will it be model railroading where you can plan out a whole city and train set up take that to the tressle bridge bank bromigo 

And, since no one has asked yet... there were only 2 chicks that I would consider dipping the pen into company ink with.  Both kind of have that "I was once a total party girl but then I got a kind-of-real job but my inner whooore is just itchin' to come out" look.  Receptionist and accounting broad.

All the rest are Asian/Filipina/middle Eastern and not hot.  :sad banana:

And, since no one has asked yet... there were only 2 chicks that I would consider dipping the pen into company ink with.  Both kind of have that "I was once a total party girl but then I got a kind-of-real job but my inner whooore is just itchin' to come out" look.  Receptionist and accounting broad.

All the rest are Asian/Filipina/middle Eastern and not hot.  :sad banana:
interesting.

our receptionist and accounting broads are Asian/Filipina/Middle Eastern and not hot.

Facebook stalking was a must on both.  The receptionist, probably 4-5 years ago, was a total smoke-show.  Put on 15-20 lbs., and is still very pretty.  Would do.

The accounting chick's been rode hard and put up wet, but would still do -- after 3-4 beers and a shot.

Facebook stalking was a must on both.  The receptionist, probably 4-5 years ago, was a total smoke-show.  Put on 15-20 lbs., and is still very pretty.  Would do.

The accounting chick's been rode hard and put up wet, but would still do -- after 3-4 beers and a shot.
@nimrod3

how does the firm deal with scarf/cravate storage?
Follow up:   Since it's too hot in Southern California for scarves, what kind of pretentious hipster affectations do the architects prefer to identify themselves?

Last edited by a moderator:
brohan it makes me laugh that the numero dos guy does not even know you are leaving i hope he gives you a project or something today just oblivious that your down the road that would rule take that to the bank bromigo 

: :kicksrock:  I have a degree in city planning.  I feel this is an underhanded jab.  

And as discussed above, I'm not an architect nor did I ever have my sights set on being one; I was merely doing the things that most architects can't do.  And that's speak intelligently to doofuses at the cities.  
Totally unheralded job and one where innovation is usually risking your career while doing tried and true but sure to fail or just be meh solutions are embraced.

What type of development do you do? I've been in walkable mixed use development and land use consulting for about a dozen years myself.  I set up a thread on all things  walkable mixed use / urbanism

Follow up:   Since it's too hot in Southern California for scarves, what kind of pretentious hipster affectations do the architects prefer to identify themselves?
I'm guessing the round glasses.  

Actually, you're giving hipsters far too much credit.  It's been in the mid-80's, low-90's inland here... upper 70's at beaches.  This past Sunday I did some day beer tastings with a buddy of mine and there was some clown in a full-on wool beanie (with tank-top and shorts)

List all of the office supplies/company property that you're taking with you.
A couple of pens.  I seem to always lose them in my car.

And a pencil/pen holder thingy for desk.  It was obviously personal to the person whose desk I took, not your average plastic crap.  It's made of stone, kinda nice.  I don't think anyone would give a crap.  

Gotta wrap up my last expense report, wait on a couple of emails and I'm outta here.  Tomorrow night there will be beer.

brohan it makes me laugh that the numero dos guy does not even know you are leaving i hope he gives you a project or something today just oblivious that your down the road that would rule take that to the bank bromigo 
The #2 is the guy in charge of all non-telecom projects... which means to me these guys had no future plans of me doing anything but doing these crazy telecom deals.  

Totally unheralded job and one where innovation is usually risking your career while doing tried and true but sure to fail or just be meh solutions are embraced.

What type of development do you do? I've been in walkable mixed use development and land use consulting for about a dozen years myself.  I set up a thread on all things  walkable mixed use / urbanism
:excited:  maybe you're just forgetting the board-to-email connection but we've been trading emails for a few months :lol:

We were talking back when I was job-hunting.  I ended up taking a position that I was a little unsure of and fortunately kept actively communicating with a consulting firm that's more in my wheelhouse. 

I'll shoot you my new email address next week.

hey brohan in all cinserity best of luck at the new place i hope that you like it better and enjoy that shorter commute less time in the car means more time for your family and stuff you like take that to the bank bromigo 

hey brohan in all cinserity best of luck at the new place i hope that you like it better and enjoy that shorter commute less time in the car means more time for your family and stuff you like take that to the bank bromigo 
Consider it taken to the bank, appreciate it.

Thank you.  It was a challenge. :D

Fortunately about halfway through they moved me to a shared office rather than having to be out in the "bullpen" with all the drafters.  My neighbor there talked to herself and banged on her keyboard louder than I'd ever heard someone type.  
How hot was/is the neighbor?

Former neighbor = early 40's Filipina that needs her dental coverage here to kick in asap   :shock:

Current roomie = early 30's semi-hipster that would be third on the list here.  Solid 6.5.
maybe you can make it a triple play then? receptionist/accountant/semi-hipster. Any pics?

maybe you can make it a triple play then? receptionist/accountant/semi-hipster. Any pics?
The receptionist is far and away the best but throwing pics out there - at least at this point - is not wise.  Who knows what'll happen in the future.  Plus I think she's single and ready to mingle.   :excited:   :fro:

The receptionist is far and away the best but throwing pics out there - at least at this point - is not wise.  Who knows what'll happen in the future.  Plus I think she's single and ready to mingle.   :excited:   :fro:
which celebrity does the receptionist look like? pics of the others to establish how high the bar has been set?

:excited:  maybe you're just forgetting the board-to-email connection but we've been trading emails for a few months :lol:

We were talking back when I was job-hunting.  I ended up taking a position that I was a little unsure of and fortunately kept actively communicating with a consulting firm that's more in my wheelhouse. 

I'll shoot you my new email address next week.
Indeed I did! Apologies - didn't recall that was indeed you. Definitely send the email. 

This is what I get for not having a notebook. 

While my degree is in urban planning, my 20ish years of work in the industry has been mainly in pre-acquisition due diligence, consulting, and permit expediting.  I had a ton of experience with national brands and this place does deal with a lot of bigger names so they hired me to run the permitting side of things.  But then they started painting me into a corner, wanting me to take on a PM role in telecom; something with which I have no experience nor desire to have.  

I'm moving back into a consulting role where I'll be working with developers and jurisdictions on entitlement issues. Much more in my wheelhouse.

Thanks! :D
Is this a difficult/specialized skill set in your industry?

Anyone there hooking up with said "hotties"? 
Doubtful.  Though there is one chick who's probably early-30's who I find annoying (terrible vocal fry and upspeak voice) who giggles like a little schoolgirl when she's in with the dorky president guy.  He eats it up.  

Is this a difficult/specialized skill set in your industry?
Somewhat.  Real estate and its off-shoots are roller-coasters.

I think I've found a company that's built to withstand some of the dips, though.

All in all, and truth be told... I miss living in Austin and hoping that I can move my family back there at some point.  It may need to wait until retirement. :(

Users who are viewing this thread