What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FRIDAY MUSIC THREAD: Best TV theme song of all time (1 Viewer)

It's a 3 way tie for me between Magnum P.I., Baretta and Hill Street Blues.

If you follow music at all and you're familiar with Steely Dan, specifically a favorite of mine called Don't take me alive - the intro to that is done by a guy named Larry Carlton, he would also do more amazing work on Kid Charlemagne among many other things he did but, my point to my rambling, is that Larry Carlton does the solo guitar work on Hill Street Blues.  And, I have to say, every time I hear the full song, I'm in awe, it's just amazing work.  It's funny, I grew up in the late 70's, early 80's and I never paid much attention to Hill Street Blues but, like an old comfortable pair of shoes, I was very familiar with the theme song.  Then one day, I heard the FULL song and it hit me like a ton of bricks and I connected the dots and I said to myself "holy crap, I know that sound, that guitar player, that HAS to be the same guy from my favorite Steely Dan song Don't take me alive! :)

Baretta is another one, my God I absolutely love that song, Sammy Davis Jr. has such an outstanding voice and absolutely crushes that song and I should say, the watered down version where they take his vocals out is complete crap - just sayin'.

And finally, talking about Magnum PI, I went back and watched the whole series all over again in order not too long ago and HOLY CRAP I completely forgot about the original intro to Magnum PI.  Man, I was 12 years old when this started, I loved cars and I thought this was just the most amazing thing on television and I watched from age 12 to age 20, I never missed an episode, I use make damn sure I recorded each and every single on one my Dad's VCR.  And every time we blew out a VCR, I made damn sure I programmed in Magnum PI! :)

PS: I left this out but Larry Carlton also did guitar work on the Magnum PI theme song that we're all familiar with - I totally spaced it on that - so there you go! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And finally, talking about Magnum PI, I went back and watched the whole series all over again in order not too long ago and HOLY CRAP I completely forgot about the original intro to Magnum PI.  Man, I was 12 years old when this started, I loved cars and I thought this was just the most amazing thing on television and I watched from age 12 to age 20, I never missed an episode, I use make damn sure I recorded each and every single on one my Dad's VCR.  And every time we blew out a VCR, I made damn sure I programmed in Magnum PI! :)
Not to wander off-topic @Sullie, but how was Magnum PI upon re-watch? Many fond memories of the show (and Tom Selleck is eminently watchable in anything) but not sure how it would be watching it again today.

Captain Fantastic said:
Not to wander off-topic @Sullie, but how was Magnum PI upon re-watch? Many fond memories of the show (and Tom Selleck is eminently watchable in anything) but not sure how it would be watching it again today.
I'm probably the wrong one to ask b/c I have a HUGE soft spot for the show and it gets a ton of leeway with me and I can overlook a lot the campiness.  The thing is, is that some episodes are written much better than others, some are outstanding, most are good but there are a few stinkers here and there.  I would say (for me, a fanboy) that 75% of the episodes are pretty good.  Tom's daisy dukes he sometimes wears are little cringeworthy but I grew up at that time, you've seen Larry Legend's pasty drum sticks and you know, that was the style back then (God help us!)

Overall, I still enjoyed the show, it brought back a LOT of nostalgia. Now, back in the day, I very much recall that I got hooked onto Simon and Simon as well, that I've not gone back to watch.  But, it's so funny, I vividly recall being in grade school and then high school, I would get all my homework done and made damn sure I could watch Magnum PI and Simon and Simon when I was  kid, to me, it just didn't get any better than that! :)   The other thing that struck me now, that I missed back then, is that someone with influence in that show was into cars and knew their cars, specifically, I believe they were into German cars.  TC's VW Caravelle was really unique (not just the paint job but that van), Higgins' Audi 500 was very unique, Rick's Mercedes SL was unique and special as well.  And, I had read somewhere, that they originally wanted Porsche to create a convertible 928 (if you recall, the 911 was supposed to be on its way out and the 928 at that time was supposed to be the replacement) but Porsche would not create a drop top version so the show chose to go with the Ferrari 308GTS/GTSi/etc. for Magnum instead because he was pretty tall, his head stuck out and they wanted to be able to film his head - so I've read. (Sorry to spin way way off topic there, wow.)

Anyway, the long answer is, it can be campy at times but other times it was pretty unique and special.  When Magnum pretty much converted me from a casual fan to full on addict was season 3 episodes 1 and 2 (Did you see the sunrise?) - the Ferrari gets blown up, Mac gets killed and then Magnum kills Col. Ivan which was completely mind blowing to me at that time.  Because, in every other series I've ever watched, that just wouldn't have happened so, to me, those two episodes got me hooked.  To watch it all over, it's so tame and mild and really it just doesn't seem that big of a deal but I do recall talking about in High School the next day with all my buddies who were Magnum PI dorks.

Captain Fantastic said:
I just watched all of them over the last few months and I have to say I enjoyed seeing them all again. I even caught some things I missed the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd time around. 

Anyway, the long answer is, it can be campy at times but other times it was pretty unique and special.  When Magnum pretty much converted me from a casual fan to full on addict was season 3 episodes 1 and 2 (Did you see the sunrise?) - the Ferrari gets blown up, Mac gets killed and then Magnum kills Col. Ivan which was completely mind blowing to me at that time.  Because, in every other series I've ever watched, that just wouldn't have happened so, to me, those two episodes got me hooked.  To watch it all over, it's so tame and mild and really it just doesn't seem that big of a deal but I do recall talking about in High School the next day with all my buddies who were Magnum PI dorks.
I hear you. That line of dialogue - and that shocking ending (at the time) - was a seminal moment of television from my childhood. I remember thinking "no way" and "that's the coolest thing I've ever seen."

One more reason we're the generation that sees zero problem with Han shooting first. 

Okay, back to the music topic. Thanks for the sidetrack, @Sullie and @Osaurus. I may have to rewatch these one of these days.

So having nothing to do with anything beyond "no matter the topic, someone is exploring it on the internet...all the time", this article popped up today ranking the best TV theme songs of all time.

Writer is clearly a Millennial who shows a wee bit of disdain for the world that existed before he was born, BUT he also recognizes the great art of theme songs had a golden age (and that age occurred well before the century flipped into the 2000s).

I neither endorse nor decry this article. Just presenting for public consumption.

Carry on...

For the kitch factor, I've always been partial to The Beverly Hillbillies. 

Otherwise MASH is super upper elite tier. 

Users who are viewing this thread