What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fruit smoothies: blenders and recipes (1 Viewer)

Used this 600 watt Nutibullet for about a year. It does the job, would recommend.

Upgraded to this 1000 watt unit. Like it better, it’s able to chew up frozen fruit easier.

My daily 32 oz smoothie:

1/2 to 2/3 cup frozen berries - typically buy 3lb bags of Wymans from Amazon Fresh, either blueberries or mixed berries

1/2 to 1/3 cup fresh berries / rotate raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries 

(for most products presume it’s organic except for bananas)

1 avocado (Haas? Hass? the big ones) 
1 banana     
1 lemon
1 red apple (Fuji or Gala)   

optional - 3 to 5 ounces kale or blend of super greens 

2 tablespoons MCT3 oil (coconut oil)
2 tablespoons Organic raw apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon Vital Proteins collagen & peptides powder
1 tablespoon Organic raw hemp seeds mixed with Organic flaxseed + Organic black chia seeds

2 cups Organic plain yogurt (personal preference - see below)
1 cup organic coconut milk

or if you prefer non-dairy an organic juice blend and/or water in lieu of yogurt

So if you’re like me, you’ll look at that and think what the af. This recipe is based on something my fiancé makes every day - I skip the greens & use yogurt/milk instead of juice. She has some chronic pain issues in her joints and most of this stuff is designed to help with that.

Before I began starting my day with a smoothie, I went over this with a nutritionist I have access to at the VA. She went through each ingredient and explained the benefits of every single item. Listen, I’m not an expert, and I didn’t write down everything she told me, but it gave me a level of comfort. This helps regulate my digestive system while providing basically all of my daily nutritional needs.

Thus has replaced my breakfast. I have a light lunch and/or snack in the afternoon. I have been losing weight (mainly through exercise), I’m sleeping better - less insomnia  and more sound, deep sleep. My energy level is WAY better.

I’m a combat veteran who struggles with depression and PTSD. It takes like ten different things to effectively manage it. But diet, for me anyway, has massive influence on moods and the level of effort required to manage emotions.

This is by no means a cure all, but I’ve experimented with a lot of different types of diets over the years. Making this smoothie my consistent daily regiment has absolutely transformed my life.

ETA:

forgot 1 lemon

which leads to a question for which I’m not 100% sure of the answer: when to buy organic?

I’ve read a few articles & discussed this with my nutritionist so I think I have this correct 

but if I’m wrong please LMK

if it has a rind or a peel, I’m buying non-organic 

I don’t eat the banana peel or the outside of the avocado or the lemon - the pesticides & growth chemical may don’t penetrate to the food we consume 

for apples & berries I want organic

so that’s fruits & veggies 

what I don’t fully understand (& just sort of blindly follow others recommendations) - I buy a ton of organic products. IOW, I don’t think I could explain it to a 5 year old in under  2 minutes. I don’t understand it as well as I should.
This has replaced my usual breakfast which was either nothing or oatmeal typically with coffee.

The smoothie helps get the veggies. I really don’t even care what it tastes like at this point. 

I don’t recall what I spent, but don’t think the Ninja was nearly as much as some of the others mentioned above. Have had for well over a few years now, so the ROI has been good.
According to my Amazon history, I spent $79 on the Ninja 8 years ago. After ordering I found this Blendtec bundle, open box, Amazon warehouse for $229. I was planning to return the Ninja, but gave it to a sister without a blender. She loves that Ninja. It gets more use than my Blendtec and is going strong. 

I had the Oster that takes mason jars, which was cheap and handy as can be, but just underpowered. Still have it. Still do the mason jar thing sometimes. It must be 30 years old. The original magic bullet idea.

I did alot of research back then. The Ninja seemed like the best reasonably priced blender for heavy lifting. Vitamix and Blendtec are commercial grade blenders for home kitchens, just not reasonably priced. I bought the Blendtec for two reasons; the deal and the dull blade tech. I might be ocd about kitchen cleanup. I never fully trust the warm soapy water, run it and rinse it... as a thorough cleaning. I have to clean the blades. So with the Blendtec's dull blades I can get my fingers or a sponge under them and scrub 'em good before rinsing.

The bundle included the twister jar. It's over $100 for it now. It makes thick thick blends. I use it for exceptional frozen yogurt and sorbets, decent ice creams. It makes pastes and purees. It makes nut butters. Pistachio/Walnut butter for the win. 

I love carrot juice. I fill the Wildside jar to the line with peeled loosely chopped carrots. Add a cup of water. Run it on the juice setting. Transfer that to a nutmilk bag and get more pulp free carrot juice than I do using my juicer. Just as fast, easier cleanup. Works with anything you want to juice and extracts excellent nutmilks.

Today's lunch. Filled the jar loosely to the line with homegrown microgreens. Dropped two dead ripe pears on top of that. A cup of Blendtec made walnut juice. A tablesppon of cinnamon. A scoop of vanilla protien powder. Superfood healthy, cinnamon roll delicious. 

edit: i avoid refined sugar as much as possible. so i like my smoothies sweet as possible. plain yogurt is a good way to add unneeded calories and make your smoothy less sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

My fiancé tells me I am duty bound to let everyone know yogurt (or ANY dairy product) is superfluous to my smoothie recipe. Use organic blended juices which are low in sugar instead. Or water if it comes out too thick.

My smoothies are so thick the straw never falls over lol.

*115 Montague - in the old Connecticut Muffin storefront
Or use soy/nut milk.

There's a smoothie place that I get the below every once in a while and it's very good.   When they say "multivitamin" what would I get exactly to incorporate that into making it at home?

Tropical Smoothie Café’s Triple Berry Oat

-        Frozen berry mix (strawberries, blueberries, cranberries)

-        Multivitamin

-        Ground flaxseed

-        Whole-grain oats

-        Whey protein

-        Splenda

@Major 

- I hate coconut flavor...does that come through in the coconut water or no?   If yes, anything I could replace that with?

You won't be able to taste it.  Definitely not a must have and more of a luxury.  You can use any type of milk, juice or water depending on your tastes and goals.   

- for the Isopure protein...could I also do chocolate flavor or is there a benefit to vanilla?

You could do chocolate I just find the smoothie combinations limiting and vanilla a better choice.  I also have chocolate protein but use that more often in my coffee or on its own late night.  

- why is this your current daily smoothie over others you have tried?   

too many to mention but various berries, spinach, avocados and protein are always in the mix.

- I notice you said you tried collagen powder and it helped your skin but you don't use it now...reason for that?

I just ran out of it and haven't replaced it.   It's more of a luxury as well.  Whey isolate protein and caseins should be your foundation.  Quest Protein is also good.  Watch out for proteins with a bunch of fillers/low protein to calorie ratio) unless you're trying to gain weight (Muscle Milk, Syntha 6 etc).  They taste great but not that good for you.  Think of those as a dessert. 

Your plan sounds good.  It's really just finding something that works for you.  I prefer my smoothie after working out or in the morning but everyone is different.  

There's a smoothie place that I get the below every once in a while and it's very good.   When they say "multivitamin" what would I get exactly to incorporate that into making it at home?

Tropical Smoothie Café’s Triple Berry Oat

-        Frozen berry mix (strawberries, blueberries, cranberries)

-        Multivitamin

-        Ground flaxseed

-        Whole-grain oats

-        Whey protein

-        Splenda

There are tons of multivitamin mixes you can use.  I like Animal Pak Cherry Powder but you can also just take it in pill form.  There are like 10 vitamins per pack so they can be a pain to wash down.  Orange Triad is another great multi.  

I'd also take out the Splenda in the above recipe.  That's normally already added in from various proteins unless you're going with the unflavored variety.

I’ll post my go to later but a quick cleaning tip for both your insides and also the blender- celery. Just one or two pieces of celery and you will never have to scrub the inside of your bender again. 

Also… Team Blendtec  :gang1:

First Smoothie made and pretty good!

The Blender:  I don't have anything to compare it to, but the Blendtec Total Classic Original Blender (75 oz) is really nice.  One push of a button and just let the thing go. No need to hold the cover on, stop and stir, etc.   Once Smoothie cycle is done it was perfectly blended.  Very easy to clean this thing too.  Got it on Amazon for $380 (reg. priced $599).  

The Smoothie:  Below is what I did for first crack.  I didn't have any protein powder so just did the below as is (ordering some protein powder now).   Pretty tasty, but could be a little sweeter.   I'm hoping the addition of one scoop of Isopure protein powder (vanilla flavor) will make it better.  The amounts below perfectly filled up a large tumbler w/straw cup I had.

-          1 cup water

-          ½ cup raspberry crystal light (it's the only juice I had)

-          1.5 tbsp whole grain rolled oats

-          One handful of spinach (frozen)

-          Half large avocado (frozen)

-          1 cup frozen berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)

Next round:

- switch up the raspberry crystal light with real juice (or try milk?)

- add 1 scoop Isopure protein powder (Vanilla)

- add 1 tbsp Vital Proteins collagen & peptide powder

- add 1 tbsp ground flaxseed

- @Major know you add Sambazon Acai to your present mix. What are the benefits of that?  Would that be a good add to my recipe?   Anything I'm missing that would be good to add for health benefits but not make it taste crappy?

First Smoothie made and pretty good!

The Blender:  I don't have anything to compare it to, but the Blendtec Total Classic Original Blender (75 oz) is really nice.  One push of a button and just let the thing go. No need to hold the cover on, stop and stir, etc.   Once Smoothie cycle is done it was perfectly blended.  Very easy to clean this thing too.  Got it on Amazon for $380 (reg. priced $599).  

The Smoothie:  Below is what I did for first crack.  I didn't have any protein powder so just did the below as is (ordering some protein powder now).   Pretty tasty, but could be a little sweeter.   I'm hoping the addition of one scoop of Isopure protein powder (vanilla flavor) will make it better.  The amounts below perfectly filled up a large tumbler w/straw cup I had.

-          1 cup water

-          ½ cup raspberry crystal light (it's the only juice I had)

-          1.5 tbsp whole grain rolled oats

-          One handful of spinach (frozen)

-          Half large avocado (frozen)

-          1 cup frozen berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)

Next round:

- switch up the raspberry crystal light with real juice (or try milk?)

- add 1 scoop Isopure protein powder (Vanilla)

- add 1 tbsp Vital Proteins collagen & peptide powder

- add 1 tbsp ground flaxseed

- @Major know you add Sambazon Acai to your present mix. What are the benefits of that?  Would that be a good add to my recipe?   Anything I'm missing that would be good to add for health benefits but not make it taste crappy?
Frozen spinach is blanched giving it that earthy cooked spinachy flavor that isn't great for smoothies. Try it with a handful of fresh baby spinach. 

Frozen spinach is blanched giving it that earthy cooked spinachy flavor that isn't great for smoothies. Try it with a handful of fresh baby spinach. 
So I bought it fresh and just put it into the freezer so it keeps longer.   Is that fine? 

I also like them colder so figure the more things I add that are frozen, the better, to avoid having to add ice.  Maybe I’m wrong in that thinking for taste though? 

@offdee

Frozen bananas add a lot of sweetness to smoothies. You just have to be careful not to overdo it, as banana flavor can overwhelm most anything else. Or add honey.

The Sambazon açaí packets create a pretty subtle difference in flavor, imo, but I like one packet for every two frozen bananas. Despite all the superfood propaganda, I don’t think they’re any healthier than other berries.

I’d definitely lose the crystal light, and sub low calorie nut milk for water/juice in your smoothie mix, for texture and a bit of protein. You can get the vanilla flavor for a bit more calories.

So I bought it fresh and just put it into the freezer so it keeps longer.   Is that fine? 

I also like them colder so figure the more things I add that are frozen, the better, to avoid having to add ice.  Maybe I’m wrong in that thinking for taste though? 
I've never frozen fresh spinach because the googles say enzymes cause it to change color and flavor when frozen. I think it gets slimey. I love fresh spinach and avoid it otherwise. sooo :shrug:

@offdee

Frozen bananas add a lot of sweetness to smoothies. You just have to be careful not to overdo it, as banana flavor can overwhelm most anything else. Or add honey.

The Sambazon açaí packets create a pretty subtle difference in flavor, imo, but I like one packet for every two frozen bananas. Despite all the superfood propaganda, I don’t think they’re any healthier than other berries.

I’d definitely lose the crystal light, and sub low calorie nut milk for water/juice in your smoothie mix, for texture and a bit of protein. You can get the vanilla flavor for a bit more calories.
I hate the flavor or banana so honey might be the way to go for me. How much honey would you suggest? 

I've never frozen fresh spinach because the googles say enzymes cause it to change color and flavor when frozen. I think it gets slimey. I love fresh spinach and avoid it otherwise. sooo :shrug:
Got it. Just took the spinach out of the freezer and into the fridge. Thanks! 

I hate the flavor or banana so honey might be the way to go for me. How much honey would you suggest? 
Enough to taste? You can add a teaspoon or so, reblend, taste, and repeat until it’s acceptable.

Sorry to be vague, but I rarely add honey, unless I’m making a more veggie intensive smoothie.

@Major know you add Sambazon Acai to your present mix. What are the benefits of that?  Would that be a good add to my recipe?   Anything I'm missing that would be good to add for health benefits but not make it taste crappy?

I really love the flavor and creamy texture of Acai.  Got hooked on it 20 years ago in Brazil and been drinking it ever since.  The frozen stuff isn't as good as when it's fresh but it's really all we can get here in the states.  It supposedly has more benefits than typical fruit but I'd compare it to blueberries.  I'll normally use half a serving of Acai into my berry smoothie. 

As for the sweetness of the smoothie, the vanilla protein will help almost like adding vanilla ice cream.  The acai will also sweeten it up.   Keep experimenting and you'll eventually find recipes that work for you.  

You already have all the components for a great smoothie but other things I add in are Amazing Grass Antioxidant (it has a berry/earthy flavor)  and Sacred 7 Mushroom powder (tasteless).   

And no need to freeze the spinach immediately.  I only do this if it gets slimy and past expiration to preserve it.  

I really love the flavor and creamy texture of Acai.  Got hooked on it 20 years ago in Brazil and been drinking it ever since.  The frozen stuff isn't as good as when it's fresh but it's really all we can get here in the states.  It supposedly has more benefits than typical fruit but I'd compare it to blueberries.  I'll normally use half a serving of Acai into my berry smoothie. 

As for the sweetness of the smoothie, the vanilla protein will help almost like adding vanilla ice cream.  The acai will also sweeten it up.   Keep experimenting and you'll eventually find recipes that work for you.  

You already have all the components for a great smoothie but other things I add in are Amazing Grass Antioxidant (it has a berry/earthy flavor)  and Sacred 7 Mushroom powder (tasteless).   

And no need to freeze the spinach immediately.  I only do this if it gets slimy and past expiration to preserve it.  
Awesome thanks.  What are the benefits of the Amazing Grass antioxidant and 7 Sacred Mushroom powder? 

today's blend was veggie intensive. two carrots, two celery sticks, packed with my homegrown microgreens, some romaine, spinach, and a handful of sweet cherry tomatoes from the garden. Nothing fruity but so healthy, filling, low calorie. I'm a hippy. 
Yeah, it’s easy to adapt your palate to whatever you consume. As my wife and I have converted to a plant-based diet, I’ve come to appreciate subtle flavors, and don’t need much in the way of salt and seasonings. But I still have a residual sweet tooth, preferring more fruity smoothies.

What do you guys use as a base for a "healthy" chocolate flavored smoothie?   I've had the Shakeology Chocolate powder mix before and really good (mixed with some PB2 powder), but damn it's way too expensive.  Any good alternatives?

Awesome thanks.  What are the benefits of the Amazing Grass antioxidant and 7 Sacred Mushroom powder? 

Just overall health and wellness.  I don't eat a lot of salads so this checks those boxes.  I also get a nice boost of energy from them and rarely get sick.  Check Amazon for more detailed info.  

Just overall health and wellness.  I don't eat a lot of salads so this checks those boxes.  I also get a nice boost of energy from them and rarely get sick.  Check Amazon for more detailed info.  
Cool.  I ordered the mushrooms one and will incorporate that.   Holding off on the antioxidants for now.   Already spent a small fortune on all of this, but enjoying the process.   Less frozen jeans, more frozen fruit.

What do you guys use as a base for a "healthy" chocolate flavored smoothie?   I've had the Shakeology Chocolate powder mix before and really good (mixed with some PB2 powder), but damn it's way too expensive.  Any good alternatives?

Best tasting chocolate Is Syntha 6 Edge ( light version of the original formula).  It really tastes like a milkshake.   Right now I'm using Quest Chocolate which is healthier but not as tasty.  Ideally I try to keep protein costs at no more than $1 per serving/25gs of protein.

4 ice cubes

1/4 cup of water

Half a banana

1/4 cup strawberries

1/4 cup blackberries and blueberries (total, not 1/4 ea.)

1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter 

a fistful or two of kale

2 celery sticks

1 carrot stick

working out - concrete protein powder 

Now working out- Vital Proteins collagen & peptide powder 

Cool.  I ordered the mushrooms one and will incorporate that.   Holding off on the antioxidants for now.   Already spent a small fortune on all of this, but enjoying the process.   Less frozen jeans, more frozen fruit.

Yeah, it can get expensive getting started but broken down you're really paying $2-3 for a nice well balanced meal if you're doing it right.  

This stuff can get a bit expensive. But I just look at it as an investment in healthier living for me and my fiancé - totally worth it. Want to be around for my grandaughters life events (3 and 1 years old.)

General thoughts:

What are benefits of antioxidants?

Many experts suggest they protect us from premature aging, heart disease, cancer, and possibly depression and anxiety.

6 health benefits:

1. Fight free radicals.
  2. Reduce oxidative stress.
  3. Mental health.
  4. Brain health.
  5. Support healthy aging.
  6. Healthy eyes.
The USDA compiled a list of the Top 100 antioxidant-rich foods. Here are the Top 21 (bolded are smoothie ingredients I'm currently using, and I see a lot of others in this thread are as well):

1. small red beans 2. wild blueberries 3. red kidney beans 4. pinto beans 5. cultivated blueberries 6. cranberries 7. artichokes 8. blackberries 9. prunes 10.raspberries 11.strawberries 12.red delicious apples 13.Granny Smith apples 14.pecans 15.sweet cherries 16.black plums 17.russet potatoes 18.black beans 19.plums 20.gala apples 21.dark leafy greens

Black chia seeds, flaxseed, and hemp hearts are all good sources of Omega-3 + Omega-6, calcium, fiber, iron and they're gluten free.

Supplements like Vital Proteins (collagen peptides) are paleo + keto friendly, gluten free - great source of protein and about 20 different amino acids. You'll get the same nutrients through healthy eating, but if I'm being honest I'm not eating healthy 365 - adding this to my smoothie ensures I've always got this covered.

I found the other smoothie recipe thread and many of them have "unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk" listed.

I'm not a fan of anything coconut and was planning on just adding my regular 1% Milk in my fridge....is that a bad idea?     What are the advantages of Almond Milk over regular Milk?

Also, I like my smoothies cold...is there any issue with just adding in a few ice cubes?    Earlier a few times many said "no ice" so not sure if there was a reason for that.

I found the other smoothie recipe thread and many of them have "unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk" listed.

I'm not a fan of anything coconut and was planning on just adding my regular 1% Milk in my fridge....is that a bad idea?     What are the advantages of Almond Milk over regular Milk?

Also, I like my smoothies cold...is there any issue with just adding in a few ice cubes?    Earlier a few times many said "no ice" so not sure if there was a reason for that.
To me just less additives and minimal sugar. 30 calorie unsweetened almond milk just gives some liquid without adding a lot of stuff. You are going to get a ton of sugar from other sources and you want something to make the smoothie less viscous. If you need a spoon to eat your smoothie its not a smoothie 🙂 

The hardest thing for midwesterners to give up is dairy. I’m from Michigan and I’ve been very slow about that but I’m getting there. Cut out half and half, individual sizes yogurts, way down on cheese. 

If we were baby calves then cows milk would be awesome. Lactose is the sugar component of dairy milk, and it is difficult for our body to break down. If you’re not drinking (expensive) grass fed, organic milk then you’re getting the excessive hormones they pump into cows. It’s full of cow’s estrogen (the only way they can lactate to produce milk.) Excessive hormone intake has a strong impact on our emotions, making it more difficult to manage our mental health.

I but growing up you were told dairy milk has calcium, which we need for our bones?Milk isn’t the best source of calcium. Steamed greens, black-eyed peas and tofu are equal to or better than dairy.   

Almond milk is filtered water + pure almond. Benefits: magnesium rich, no lactose, low in calories and carbs, high in calcium,  full of vitamin E (as are most nuts) to slow the progression of cognitive diseases, high in antioxidants (helps your body manage free radicals).

Combat Chocolate Protein Costco.

No issue with any of that. With the small amount of milk you are putting in your smoothie (should be a small amount anyway) it won't matter. 

In fact: 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/whole-vs-skim-milk#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5 

Reduced fat milk better than whole milk is not for sure

Best tasting chocolate Is Syntha 6 Edge ( light version of the original formula).  It really tastes like a milkshake.   Right now I'm using Quest Chocolate which is healthier but not as tasty.  Ideally I try to keep protein costs at no more than $1 per serving/25gs of protein.
I've tried a few protein powders and also landed on Syntha 6 Choc Milkshake version (not Edge variety). 

I used to put a bunch of ingredients in the smoothie, but now I'm just banana, 1 scoop Syntha, 6 ice cubes and about 2-3 inches of milk in the Nutriblender.   So easy, and so good.   Probably around 350-400 calories.   Gets me by until lunch time. 

This has been my go to recipe for almost three years running...it never gets old:

• 1 Banana
  • 1.5 cups of blueberries
  • 1 cup of oat or almond milk (add additional water for consistency as needed)
  • flax seed powder
  • hemp protein powder
  • turmeric powder
  • organic green powder
  • 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
  • healthy dash of cinnamon
I might toss in a few strawberries or chunks of pineapple from time to time to mix it up.

This is going in the pet peeve thread but....Almond Milk isnt a real thing. almonds dont produce milk. 

Maybe Im being too subtle. Almond milk =  :X

I've tried a few protein powders and also landed on Syntha 6 Choc Milkshake version (not Edge variety). 

I used to put a bunch of ingredients in the smoothie, but now I'm just banana, 1 scoop Syntha, 6 ice cubes and about 2-3 inches of milk in the Nutriblender.   So easy, and so good.   Probably around 350-400 calories.   Gets me by until lunch time. 
I'm just not a fan of bananas....is there anything else that could be subbed for that for your recipe?

This has been my go to recipe for almost three years running...it never gets old:

• 1 Banana
  • flax seed powder
  • hemp protein powder
  • turmeric powder
  • organic green powder
I might toss in a few strawberries or chunks of pineapple from time to time to mix it up.
This is very similar to mine, however I also put 1/3 cup of goji berries (usually dried), 1/2 cup of oats, and 1/3 cup of chia seeds. Yes, it gets thick. I'll have to try adding the tumeric powder and cinnamon. 

I bought an Oster blender years ago & an upgraded blade that work great.

I put quite a bit in smoothies,

-frozen strawberriee, blueberries, banana, yogurt, hemp seeds, chia seeds, carrots, spinach, honey, cinnamon, peanut butter, scoop of isopure protein

Cacao powder. PB2 also has a chocolate peanut butter flavor.

@BobbyLaynesummarized a lot of the theoretical concerns with dairy pretty nicely. Nut/soy/seed milks are all arguably healthier, and also avoid the animal welfare issues associated with cow’s milk. There’s also an argument to avoid any excess animal protein in favor of plant sources, as animal proteins promote production of something called TMAO, which is associated with vascular disease, diabetes and gastrointestinal cancers. But if you accept that premise, whey and collagen powders should also be avoided.

I don’t add ice because I prefers my smoothies less watery, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with adding it TMK.

@Terminalxylem your thoughts on hemp seed hearts and urine tests? Theoretically could you get a positive hit in your opinion?
Don't know anything about it, but I don't think hemp seeds contain hardly any THC, do they?

ETA Low levels, likely below the threshold for standard toxicology tests

Foods containing seeds or oil of the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa L.) are increasingly found in retail stores in the U.S. The presence of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in these foods has raised concern over their impact on the results of workplace drug tests for marijuana. Previous studies have shown that eating hemp foods can cause screening and confirmed positive results in urine specimens. This study evaluated the impact of extended daily ingestion of THC via hemp oil on urine levels of its metabolite 11-nor-9-carboxy-delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC-COOH) for four distinct daily THC doses. Doses were representative of THC levels now commonly found in hemp seed products and a range of conceivable daily consumption rates. Fifteen THC-naïve adults ingested, over four successive 10-day periods, single daily THC doses ranging from 0.09 to 0.6 mg. Subjects self-administered THC in 15-mL aliquots (20 mL for the 0.6-mg dose) of four different blends of hemp and canola oils. Urine specimens were collected prior to the first ingestion of oil, on days 9 and 10 of each of the four study periods, and 1 and 3 days after the last ingestion. All specimens were screened for cannabinoids by radioimmunoassay (Immunalysis Direct RIA Kit), confirmed for THC-COOH by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS), and analyzed for creatinine to identify dilute specimens. None of the subjects who ingested daily doses of 0.45 mg of THC screened positive at the 50-ng/mL cutoff. At a daily THC dose of 0.6 mg, one specimen screened positive. The highest THC-COOH level found by GC-MS in any of the specimens was 5.2 ng/mL, well below the 15-ng/mL confirmation cutoff used in federal drug testing programs. A THC intake of 0.6 mg/day is equivalent to the consumption of approximately 125 mL of hemp oil containing 5 microg/g of THC or 300 g of hulled seeds at 2 microg/g. These THC concentrations are now typical in Canadian hemp seed products. Based on our findings, these concentrations appear to be sufficiently low to prevent confirmed positives from the extended and extensive consumption of hemp foods.

The Wyman brand frozen strawberries are great because they have a much better Ziploc like opening on the side instead of the usual top that never closes right.

I'm just not a fan of bananas....is there anything else that could be subbed for that for your recipe?

I find chocolate protein limiting in smoothie recipes so I rarely add fruit to the mix and just drink it on its own with coconut milk, water or coffee.   If I do use fruit, it's strawberries or banana, avocado and maybe some PB.  

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Big fan, but the last few times I checked frozen avocado was out, so I tried one of the mix fruit bags containing avocado.  It was all banana, mango, and a few small pieces of avocado that looked like raisins.  
What do you mean by "frozen avocado was out"?   I assume he's just saying use half of a large avocado instead of a banana (can freeze the avocado then, if desired) 

Inspired by this thread and my daughter who eats much healthier than I do, I've added some spinach to my smoothies the last couple days.

urbanhack said:

• 1 Banana
  • flax seed powder
  • hemp protein powder
  • turmeric powder
  • organic green powder
I'm on day two and this is close to the one I'm making for lunch.  Almond butter instead of peanut butter for me and don't have the hemp, turmeric, or green powders yet.  I do add a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.  Good stuff.

ETA:  a couple handfuls of spinach also go in.  

Users who are viewing this thread