What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FWP to get all the touches? (1 Viewer)

Saw this was posted on the Steeler's offseason thread after I posted it...but it may deserve it's own thread. If Parker does indeed get all the touches on 3rd down, it would certainly raise his stock. I'd bump his receiving totals up and maybe even his tds totals as he may be able to get in space and break a couple screen passes.

I wondered why last year they didn't try to get him the ball on screen plays more often, with his speed and elusiveness he seems like a great 3rd down back. All he needs is a small crease to take it the distance.

This news moves him to #6 in my RB rankings...and if LJ holds out I'd probably move him to #5 overall.

Deuce said:
Saw this was posted on the Steeler's offseason thread after I posted it...but it may deserve it's own thread. If Parker does indeed get all the touches on 3rd down, it would certainly raise his stock. I'd bump his receiving totals up and maybe even his tds totals as he may be able to get in space and break a couple screen passes.I wondered why last year they didn't try to get him the ball on screen plays more often, with his speed and elusiveness he seems like a great 3rd down back. All he needs is a small crease to take it the distance. This news moves him to #6 in my RB rankings...and if LJ holds out I'd probably move him to #5 overall.
Top 3 this year. Parker is the real deal. He's talented, humble, and motivated. And he's with a team that loves to run the ball. Add in an OC that wants to get him involved in the passing game and you've got fantasy gold on your hands. Gold, Jerry....gold.

Deuce said:
Saw this was posted on the Steeler's offseason thread after I posted it...but it may deserve it's own thread. If Parker does indeed get all the touches on 3rd down, it would certainly raise his stock. I'd bump his receiving totals up and maybe even his tds totals as he may be able to get in space and break a couple screen passes.I wondered why last year they didn't try to get him the ball on screen plays more often, with his speed and elusiveness he seems like a great 3rd down back. All he needs is a small crease to take it the distance. This news moves him to #6 in my RB rankings...and if LJ holds out I'd probably move him to #5 overall.
Top 3 this year. Parker is the real deal. He's talented, humble, and motivated. And he's with a team that loves to run the ball. Add in an OC that wants to get him involved in the passing game and you've got fantasy gold on your hands. Gold, Jerry....gold.
Shhhhh. We can't have people talking him up too much.

I posted a thread earlier about how I really liked Parker because he was such a low risk pick. Other than LT and SJax at 1 and 2, the only super "safe" first rounders I feel are Parker, Manning, and Rudi. Now if his receiving #s improve, look out. I really may have to move him up to 3 or 4.

What about Tomlin saying he won't get that many carries:

Parker won't run alone
That article is from April -- whereas I dont think that the whole 100% of the workload will be FWP, I can see Parker in an expanded role on 3rd downs and goal line. Recently the local papers have quoted the new coaching staff as saying they would have no problem leaving FWP in the game unless he takes himself out, Parker is aiming to becoming the next LT.

You have to LOVE FWP this year. He did some serious damage last year within the Pittsburgh offense last year, and now this year they are spreading the formations out? This will only open more holes for the speedster, and as long as everyone is healthy, Fast Willie has the perfect offense and schedule to be a top 5 back! You have to remember how productive Willie was last year as the three-down back. I don't see anyone stealing carries away from Willie. Sure, the Steelers are going to give FWP a rest every now and then, but FWP will be in the backfield when it matters, and that means goal-line situations. I would actually put him in the top 3 right now with LJ's hold out and Gore's injury. Consider yourself lucky if you get FWP on your team this year!

In non PPR leagues I have him at 6 behind: LT,LJ,SJax,Gore,Alexander. In PPR I have him at 8 behind Addai & Westbrook as well.

Willie is the man...one small little hole and he's Mr See Ya Later like the Road Runner.....

60 550 Recieving

FWP is going to make his mark as top 3 this year if all of this talk about him touching the ball more is true

Parker won't run alone
That article is from April -- whereas I dont think that the whole 100% of the workload will be FWP, I can see Parker in an expanded role on 3rd downs and goal line. Recently the local papers have quoted the new coaching staff as saying they would have no problem leaving FWP in the game unless he takes himself out, Parker is aiming to becoming the next LT.
It's from April and the "fact" that the Steelers plan to use a multiback approach seems to come primarily from the reporter. I don't see anything in there where he's getting that idea from Tomlin.J

Deuce said:
Sorry if this in HONDA...didn't see it anywhere....

Parker every down back
Good article DW. I can see this happening with Parker. He's been a footballguys favorite back when nobody outside of Pittsburgh knew who he was. And a good guy too for what that's worth to people.J

Parker won't run alone
It's from April and the "fact" that the Steelers plan to use a multiback approach seems to come primarily from the reporter. I don't see anything in there where he's getting that idea from Tomlin.J
Its clearly noted in the first quote of this thread that he's getting it from Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians, RB Coach Kirby Wilson, Willie Parker himself, and highly regarded Steelers beat reporter Ed Bouchette.Here's the story posted at the top of the thread.

Willie Parker's goal is to be like LaDainian Tomlinson, only better

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Now that he has shown he's no fluke, Willie Parker wants to reach for the stars and not the twinkle-twinkle little ones, either. He has set his sights on the North star of the NFL, the brightest of the bright.

They don't come any more luminous than San Diego halfback LaDainian Tomlinson, the reigning NFL Most Valuable Player after he set league records with 31 touchdowns and 186 points last season.

"I want to be better than L.T.," Parker proclaimed yesterday between the Steelers' double practices at Saint Vincent College. "L.T. can do all that stuff. He's like a role model to me. I look up to this guy. I just want to do what he does."

The goals don't get much bigger, but then Parker backed up his 1,202-yard season in 2005 with 1,494 yards last season, third most in a franchise history that includes Franco Harris, John Henry Johnson and Jerome Bettis.

He did so by carrying the ball 337 times, fourth most in Steelers history. Now Parker wants more, much more. He does not want to leave the playing field this year; he wants to not only be their starting halfback, he wants to stick around for third downs as well.

"I want to do it all," Parker said. "I wouldn't be no running back if I say I want to come off the field in certain situations. I want to do all the situations."

His coaches are inclined to let him do it, too. New coordinator Bruce Arians believes in running his best players until their tongues hang out, and Parker might be the odds-on favorite to take over the role as third-down back, something Tomlinson does rather well.

"L.T.'s had a lot of touches, and if Willie has those kinds of touches, his yards could be the same," Arians said. "I like the fact he wants to be better. I don't ever want him on the bench unless he's tired."

And, as new running backs coach Kirby Wilson noted, why take your best players out of the game?

"Any time your best player is capable of playing [downs] one through three, you want him out there, especially with all the chips on the line."

Tomlinson ran for 1,815 yards on 348 carries for the Chargers last season. He also caught 56 passes for 508 yards. Parker caught 31 passes for 222 yards, many on first down. His 16 touchdowns set a Steelers record but were barely half Tomlinson's total.

Also, if Parker were the third-down back, he'd have more opportunities to run against defenses that are spread out to defend against the pass.

"That's something I'm beginning to love, it's something I'm taking a lot of pride in right now," Parker said of the third-down role. "I want to be on that field catching screens on third down."

Receiver Hines Ward talked to Parker before training camp and advised him to work on his blocking and receiving this summer. He did it in the spring and has continued it in Latrobe because you can't play on third downs if you can't block the blitz.

"Willie Parker has a chance to be great because he's willing to identify what he needs to work on, and he's doing it," coach Mike Tomlin said. "He's doing a heck of a job."

The L.T. goal is a lofty one, but Parker's story already has a can-you-top-this feel. Undrafted mostly because he was a backup at North Carolina, Parker played little as a rookie and then burst into the NFL consciousness in his second season, 2005, when he won the starting halfback job. He rushed for those 1,202 yards and then set a Super Bowl record by running 75 yards for a touchdown.

A fluke, a scatback who only runs outside, a one-hit wonder -- Parker heard it all, then carved out his niche near the top of the Steelers' record book last season.

Like Pittsburgh and its smoky image that won't go away, people thought of Parker as an outside runner. Even Tomlin, coaching the past six years in the NFC, thought that of him. He changed his mind after watching video of him from last season, saying he did not realize he was such a good runner inside.

"Everybody looks at my speed and says he's just so fast. They look at me as an outside runner," Parker said. "I'm always going to carry that. But I'm always banging inside too. I'm going to get the yards whatever it takes."

In fact, Parker prefers to run between the tackles.

"I'd rather have the hole inside; you can spring them into a big play. Outside, you don't usually go too far."

And, to be sure, Parker wants to go far, not so much to Tomlinson's level, but higher.

"That's a long goal and a big one, but that's what drives him," Wilson said. "He wants to be considered in that category and on that level."

Interesting that nobody seems concerned at all about losing a hall of fame head coach.
Cowher got his SB, grew complacent and it affected the whole team. O-line in particular. Grimm is addition by subtraction.The Steelers play calling was horribly predictable and stale. The changes are welcome and should equal improved results.Willie is a long way from being LT, but he could be Westbrook with no GL competition.

I'm talking about the article I quoted. The one from April.

J

Parker won't run alone
Its clearly noted in the first quote of this thread that he's getting it from Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians, RB Coach Kirby Wilson, Willie Parker himself, and highly regarded Steelers beat reporter Ed Bouchette.Here's the story posted at the top of the thread.

Willie Parker's goal is to be like LaDainian Tomlinson, only better

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Now that he has shown he's no fluke, Willie Parker wants to reach for the stars and not the twinkle-twinkle little ones, either. He has set his sights on the North star of the NFL, the brightest of the bright.

They don't come any more luminous than San Diego halfback LaDainian Tomlinson, the reigning NFL Most Valuable Player after he set league records with 31 touchdowns and 186 points last season.

"I want to be better than L.T.," Parker proclaimed yesterday between the Steelers' double practices at Saint Vincent College. "L.T. can do all that stuff. He's like a role model to me. I look up to this guy. I just want to do what he does."

The goals don't get much bigger, but then Parker backed up his 1,202-yard season in 2005 with 1,494 yards last season, third most in a franchise history that includes Franco Harris, John Henry Johnson and Jerome Bettis.

He did so by carrying the ball 337 times, fourth most in Steelers history. Now Parker wants more, much more. He does not want to leave the playing field this year; he wants to not only be their starting halfback, he wants to stick around for third downs as well.

"I want to do it all," Parker said. "I wouldn't be no running back if I say I want to come off the field in certain situations. I want to do all the situations."

His coaches are inclined to let him do it, too. New coordinator Bruce Arians believes in running his best players until their tongues hang out, and Parker might be the odds-on favorite to take over the role as third-down back, something Tomlinson does rather well.

"L.T.'s had a lot of touches, and if Willie has those kinds of touches, his yards could be the same," Arians said. "I like the fact he wants to be better. I don't ever want him on the bench unless he's tired."

And, as new running backs coach Kirby Wilson noted, why take your best players out of the game?

"Any time your best player is capable of playing [downs] one through three, you want him out there, especially with all the chips on the line."

Tomlinson ran for 1,815 yards on 348 carries for the Chargers last season. He also caught 56 passes for 508 yards. Parker caught 31 passes for 222 yards, many on first down. His 16 touchdowns set a Steelers record but were barely half Tomlinson's total.

Also, if Parker were the third-down back, he'd have more opportunities to run against defenses that are spread out to defend against the pass.

"That's something I'm beginning to love, it's something I'm taking a lot of pride in right now," Parker said of the third-down role. "I want to be on that field catching screens on third down."

Receiver Hines Ward talked to Parker before training camp and advised him to work on his blocking and receiving this summer. He did it in the spring and has continued it in Latrobe because you can't play on third downs if you can't block the blitz.

"Willie Parker has a chance to be great because he's willing to identify what he needs to work on, and he's doing it," coach Mike Tomlin said. "He's doing a heck of a job."

The L.T. goal is a lofty one, but Parker's story already has a can-you-top-this feel. Undrafted mostly because he was a backup at North Carolina, Parker played little as a rookie and then burst into the NFL consciousness in his second season, 2005, when he won the starting halfback job. He rushed for those 1,202 yards and then set a Super Bowl record by running 75 yards for a touchdown.

A fluke, a scatback who only runs outside, a one-hit wonder -- Parker heard it all, then carved out his niche near the top of the Steelers' record book last season.

Like Pittsburgh and its smoky image that won't go away, people thought of Parker as an outside runner. Even Tomlin, coaching the past six years in the NFC, thought that of him. He changed his mind after watching video of him from last season, saying he did not realize he was such a good runner inside.

"Everybody looks at my speed and says he's just so fast. They look at me as an outside runner," Parker said. "I'm always going to carry that. But I'm always banging inside too. I'm going to get the yards whatever it takes."

In fact, Parker prefers to run between the tackles.

"I'd rather have the hole inside; you can spring them into a big play. Outside, you don't usually go too far."

And, to be sure, Parker wants to go far, not so much to Tomlinson's level, but higher.

"That's a long goal and a big one, but that's what drives him," Wilson said. "He wants to be considered in that category and on that level."

I had Parker at #7 before this news broke.

LT

SJ

LJ

Addai

Gore

Westbrook

FWP

But, if Willie gets around 50-60 receptions he will certainly move past Westbrook, and possibly ahead of Gore. There's a lot of uncertainty surrounding Gore and LJ right now (holdout and injuries respectively)...so I have no trouble drafting Parker #6 with this news.

I have the 7th pick out of 12.... originally was thinking Westbrook or Manning, but seriously considering FWP now.

Assuming this news holds true.

Seems like the safest bets are LT, SJax, Addai and Parker...in that order. But safe doesn't always win championships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that nobody seems concerned at all about losing a hall of fame head coach.
The more I see of Tomlin, the more I think Cowher moving on was the best thing for everyone. Cowher wanted more control and more money and he wasn't going to get either here. He had lost his edge and needed to make a change. Tomlin has been impressive so far. Of course we need to wait and see what happens on the field.

He is going to get injured if he gets all the carries....buyer beware.
Based on?
How about the fact that Pittsburgh has averaged 545 rushes over the past 3 seasons. If Willie Parker gets 545 carries (34 per game), not even counting any receptions he might have, then I think it's pretty much a slam dunk that he's going to get injured.
Cowher got his SB, grew complacent and it affected the whole team. O-line in particular. Grimm is addition by subtraction.
Please tell me this is a fishing trip. When you lose a coach with a 62.3% career winning percentage and 6 AFCCG apperances in 15 years, and you replace him with a complete unknown, that's *NEVER* a good thing. Ever.Edit: It amazes me that PITTSBURGH fans are willing to write off Cowher, a guy just two years removed from a SB victory, after a single 8-8 season. He lost his edge? Should Pitt have fired him after 1999 and again after 2003 because he'd lost his edge then, too?

He is going to get injured if he gets all the carries....buyer beware.
Based on?
How about the fact that Pittsburgh has averaged 545 rushes over the past 3 seasons. If Willie Parker gets 545 carries (34 per game), not even counting any receptions he might have, then I think it's pretty much a slam dunk that he's going to get injured.
Cowher got his SB, grew complacent and it affected the whole team. O-line in particular. Grimm is addition by subtraction.
Please tell me this is a fishing trip. When you lose a coach with a 62.3% career winning percentage and 6 AFCCG apperances in 15 years, and you replace him with a complete unknown, that's *NEVER* a good thing. Ever.Edit: It amazes me that PITTSBURGH fans are willing to write off Cowher, a guy just two years removed from a SB victory, after a single 8-8 season. He lost his edge? Should Pitt have fired him after 1999 and again after 2003 because he'd lost his edge then, too?
I am not a Steelers fan. In fact I hate the Steelers. But, I agree with the others. You could see that Cowher and Ben weren't on the same page. You could see that the players weren't really responding in the same way and that a bit of the fire was gone after the SB.On the other hand, Tomlin seems to be doing and saying all the right things. Cutting Porter was smart. They had a nice draft. He's shaken things up and sometimes that is exactly what is needed.

Edit: It amazes me that PITTSBURGH fans are willing to write off Cowher, a guy just two years removed from a SB victory, after a single 8-8 season. He lost his edge? Should Pitt have fired him after 1999 and again after 2003 because he'd lost his edge then, too?
I don't think you'll find any Steeler fan here writing him off. What I'm saying (speaking only for myself) is that there was a different dynamic in that locker room when negotiations broke down on a new contract. Whether it was Cowher coaching out the string or the players had simply gotten tired of his coaching style (and I don't claim to know), SOMETHING changed. If he ends up coaching somewhere else, fine. From my easy chair, it look like something changed last season, and the team played differently.As information, there were rumblings after the '99 season that he needed to go.

Edit: It amazes me that PITTSBURGH fans are willing to write off Cowher, a guy just two years removed from a SB victory, after a single 8-8 season. He lost his edge? Should Pitt have fired him after 1999 and again after 2003 because he'd lost his edge then, too?
I don't think you'll find any Steeler fan here writing him off. What I'm saying (speaking only for myself) is that there was a different dynamic in that locker room when negotiations broke down on a new contract. Whether it was Cowher coaching out the string or the players had simply gotten tired of his coaching style (and I don't claim to know), SOMETHING changed. If he ends up coaching somewhere else, fine. From my easy chair, it look like something changed last season, and the team played differently.As information, there were rumblings after the '99 season that he needed to go.
There were rumblings after the '99 season but I wasn't among them. I've always had the utmost respect for Cowher as a coach and have stuck up for him all along. That said, I think it was probably a good thing that he moved on for both him and the team. The Steelers under Tomlin appear to be revitalized. It is just human nature that a long time coach is going to favor veterans that have played for him over the years. It was true with Chuck Noll in the early 80s and I think it was true with Cowher.I think the coaching change is forcing the veterans to push themselves while younger players feel they have a better shot to land a job. It is not just me saying that -- pretty much all of the local media covering the Steelers has been reporting how much more lively this camp has been verses last season.Of course all of this goes out the window once the season starts. The Steelers need to come out of the gate strong because their schedule is much tougher later in the season rather than earlier. If they struggle early on Tomlin is going to hear a lot of criticism.

The more I see of Tomlin, the more I think Cowher moving on was the best thing for everyone. Cowher wanted more control and more money and he wasn't going to get either here. He had lost his edge and needed to make a change. Tomlin has been impressive so far. Of course we need to wait and see what happens on the field.
What has Tomlin done so far that has been impressive?

SSOG said:
Please tell me this is a fishing trip. When you lose a coach with a 62.3% career winning percentage and 6 AFCCG apperances in 15 years, and you replace him with a complete unknown, that's *NEVER* a good thing. Ever.

Not a fishing trip. Truth.I have the utmost respect for Cowher as well. He had an amazingly successful career.

Having said that he really packed it in for 06. His heart was no longer in it and it was visible. Consistently failed to adjust on both sides of the ball. Stuck with vets who were sleep walking. Horrible play calling might be the OC's fault, but Cowher let it ride. Out coached regularly. Whatever the reason was he wasn't the same guy and he didn't want to do the job anymore. Don't know if it was the contract, the SB, or the wife.

I don't know if Tomlin will be better than Cowher (highly doubtful), but the Steelers needed change. So change is good in this instance because it comes in the form of a blue-collar, hardnosed, motivator for a HC. Will make every player earn their spot. Never say never unless you know what you are talking about.

No one suggested FWP will get 545 touches. That's stupid and an intentional exaggeration. What was suggested is that he will receive feature back touches with no chance of RBBC emerging. Word is Barlow is close to getting cut. Davenport is a good breather back, but no threat to take the job without injury.

Tomlin has done nothing so far. He has been impressive in every previous position he has held. Said all the right things to date as HC. Is running the most rigorous camp in recent memory, even Simmons and Starks are in shape. And has already developed a better relationship with his franchise QB than Bill ever did. So despite having done nothing, there are lots of reason's to be optimistic about Tomlin.

No clue how Willie is going to do. I'm just saying there are lots of reasons to expect his baseline is close to what we saw last season. And possibly realistic expectations to exceed that. Safest pick outside of LT and SJax.

bostonfred said:
I would echo what treat88 said, Tomlin has said and done all the right things since the Steelers brought him on board. He conducts himself in a very professional, no-nonsense manner. He changed the atmosphere of training camp from the country club feel that Cowher had the past several years and I think the team will be sharper because of it. Look, I thought Cowher did a great job and Tomlin will have a hard time duplicating what he accomplished. But it was definitely time for him to move on. I'm sure he'll take one year off and then come back with fire in his belly to another team and do a great job for them. But both he and the Steelers were better off parting ways when they did.

bostonfred said:
I would echo what treat88 said, Tomlin has said and done all the right things since the Steelers brought him on board. He conducts himself in a very professional, no-nonsense manner. He changed the atmosphere of training camp from the country club feel that Cowher had the past several years and I think the team will be sharper because of it. Look, I thought Cowher did a great job and Tomlin will have a hard time duplicating what he accomplished. But it was definitely time for him to move on. I'm sure he'll take one year off and then come back with fire in his belly to another team and do a great job for them. But both he and the Steelers were better off parting ways when they did.
I wasn't aware of the Steelers' training camp having a country club feel. Do you have a link from before this season to someone saying this? I'd be interested to read it.

bostonfred said:
I wasn't aware of the Steelers' training camp having a country club feel. Do you have a link from before this season to someone saying this? I'd be interested to read it.
Don't have a link, but have heard it mentioned several times by tv and radio reporters. They have updates every evening on the news and this has been widely reported here in Pittsburgh.

Hmmm... that's very interesting. I thought this was just another case of what was going around after 1999 or 2003- when Pittsburgh fans simply weren't appreciating Cowher's greatness. Now I have several respected Pittsburgh fans who have never been prone to fits of sensationalism telling me that they, too, think this is a good thing. Clearly I was mistaken.

Thanks for the clarification, guys, and sorry if I came off as a jerk earlier. I still contend that going from Cowher to anyone has to be considered a downgrade, but I never really thought about it in the terms of going from LAME-DUCK Cowher to Tomlin. That would certainly make a difference.

I find it amazing how everyone here has 8 or 9 'top 5' backs. Henry, FWP, Addai, SA, MJD are all being hyped through the roof. As soon as a topic is started, everyone changes their top 3-5 picks to include that player. I've never seen so many bandwagon posts as I have in the last few days.

SSOG said:
Please tell me this is a fishing trip. When you lose a coach with a 62.3% career winning percentage and 6 AFCCG apperances in 15 years, and you replace him with a complete unknown, that's *NEVER* a good thing. Ever.
Just a reminder that Cowher was a complete unknown when he replaced Chuck Noll. That worked out OK.

I find it amazing how everyone here has 8 or 9 'top 5' backs. Henry, FWP, Addai, SA, MJD are all being hyped through the roof. As soon as a topic is started, everyone changes their top 3-5 picks to include that player. I've never seen so many bandwagon posts as I have in the last few days.
That's because after the top3-4 (LT, SJax, Gore, LJ) there is a massive tier of RBs with pretty much nothing separating them. The fact that there are so many "top 5" RBs is merely a reflection of the fact that that tier is MASSIVE and very nebulous. As news comes out, players are going to move around in it, and even slight movements will result in a dramatic ranking shift since there's so little difference between the two. In fact, I'd be just as happy with the #9 or #10 pick as I would with the #5, since I feel like I'd be getting just as good of an RB from either place.

Users who are viewing this thread