What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gabby Petito, 22, missing (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
culdeus said:
Is he really featured?  It's clearly her channel and she brought/brings the thirst.  

Oh, I was making a funny about that stupid f'n family that is worth a gazillion dollars now because they film their bratty kid opening boxes.  I know they aren't whatever it is your calling these youtubers but the whole thing is just stupid to me.  

Oh, I was making a funny about that stupid f'n family that is worth a gazillion dollars now because they film their bratty kid opening boxes.  I know they aren't whatever it is your calling these youtubers but the whole thing is just stupid to me.  
I am sorry to say that I knew exactly who you were talking about.  Luckily my kids never watched him or his tv show.

totally. there are an infinite amount of possibilities that make sense in the absence of him not offering the police anything.

While we wait on more information.  Let's pretend we are in this scenario and we've consulted an attorney - if your attorney, based on the information you've told him, says to keep your mouth shut are you saying you wouldn't and would "cooperate" with the authorities?

While we wait on more information.  Let's pretend we are in this scenario and we've consulted an attorney - if your attorney, based on the information you've told him, says to keep your mouth shut are you saying you wouldn't and would "cooperate" with the authorities?
Exactly.  If there's even a chance that the authorities will consider you a suspect, every single defense attorney worth his retainer is gonna tell you to keep your mouth shut, lest something you said gets manipulated or taken the wrong way.

I'm with you, gb.

I had asked for Woz's impression when that police report came out saying the kid hadn't said a peep to them. that was a changing moment for me in all of this.

I mean- I get holding my tongue at Lawyer's request. but unless I'm absolutely guilty, i'm going to want to help find my girlfriend, even if she's my ex-girlfriend. even just a general, heavily lawyered non-incriminating statement to the police when time is most certainly of the essence. I'm not seeing the advantage of his continued silence at this point... so @Zow might be able to shed some guesses.

My suspicion is that he killed her accidentally during a fight, and he panicked and covered it up.  I only watched about 1/3 of that video, but did you see how incredibly nervous he was talking to the police even in a situation where he was the victim?

Of course, there are plenty of possibilities and I'd be happy to be wrong and find she's alive somewhere.

I'm with you, gb.

I had asked for Woz's impression when that police report came out saying the kid hadn't said a peep to them. that was a changing moment for me in all of this.

I mean- I get holding my tongue at Lawyer's request. but unless I'm absolutely guilty, i'm going to want to help find my girlfriend, even if she's my ex-girlfriend. even just a general, heavily lawyered non-incriminating statement to the police when time is most certainly of the essence. I'm not seeing the advantage of his continued silence at this point... so @Zow might be able to shed some guesses.
He knows she's dead and thus, time isn't on anybody's side but his.  The body will turn up; another hiker will probably find it.  But that better happen soon because winter is fast approaching.

I'm with you, gb.

Obviously my hypothetical is different than GM's but assume you are innocent and assume you (now) know she's nuts.  Maybe the only thing you can truly offer that would help them is where you parted ways with her.  Maybe it doesn't help at all.  But I guarantee you if you talk to them they will be using that and everything else you share with them to build a case against you. 

Mr. Floppo shared that they argued occasionally/frequently.  Mr. Floppo also shared that wasn't the first physical altercation they had in the body cam footage.  Mr. Floppo said she has no enemies - everybody loves her.  Mr. Floppo.....

And on and on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously my hypothetical is different than GM's but assume you are innocent and assume you (now) know she's nuts.  Maybe the only thing you can truly offer that would help them is where you parted ways with her.  Maybe it doesn't help at all.  But I guarantee you if you talk to them they will be using that and everything else you share with them to build a case against you. 

Mr. Floppo shared that they argued occasionally/frequently.  Mr. Floppo also shared that wasn't the first physical altercation they had in the body cam footage.  Mr. Floppo said she has no enemies - everybody loves her.  Mr. Floppo.....

And on and on. 
that's why I let my lawyer handle it.

based on watching 48 hours too many times, the earlier things happen in missing persons cases the better. as such, I tell my lawyer as much I know and let them polish it up and give a non-incriminatory statement to the police. unless I'm guilty. 

that's why I let my lawyer handle it.

based on watching 48 hours too many times, the earlier things happen in missing persons cases the better. as such, I tell my lawyer as much I know and let them polish it up and give a non-incriminatory statement to the police. unless I'm guilty. 
Yeah - I have two daughters, one close in age to Gabby- so I really feel for them.  But I also have two sons - I’m trying to imagine what those folks are going through with this too.  Sure, there’s a chance he’s scumbag and killed her but there’s also a chance he’s innocent.  I just hope there’s a miracle ending and they find her.

Yeah - I have two daughters, one close in age to Gabby- so I really feel for them.  But I also have two sons - I’m trying to imagine what those folks are going through with this too.  Sure, there’s a chance he’s scumbag and killed her but there’s also a chance he’s innocent.  I just hope there’s a miracle ending and they find her.
I do hope you're right, but this isn't a missing person in a city or a spot with access to water and food.  20+ days in isolation in Wyoming/Utah/Idaho (where they were) would be hard for Bear Grylls to pull off.  

I'm with you, gb.

Sorry - been slammed at work. Will try to address when I can. 

I do hope you're right, but this isn't a missing person in a city or a spot with access to water and food.  20+ days in isolation in Wyoming/Utah/Idaho (where they were) would be hard for Bear Grylls to pull off.  
Sure but maybe she joined up with some others - unlikely but not totally implausible.

Sure but maybe she joined up with some others - unlikely but not totally implausible.
Agreed, but then why not phone her mom?  I mean, they seemed to be in constant communication prior.  And with all the national attention on this, don't you think some of these 'others' would call authorities?  Or are you suggesting there is a sinister side to this and she's with a Buffalo Bill type?  

This is REMOTE territory we're talking about.  Cold at night now.  27 degrees in the Grand Tetons tonight.  

2 things I saw on social media - the first is of course 100% speculation, the second I'm curious if anyone else has seen asserted anywhere:

• His parents and lawyer are keeping him under wraps because he has injuries which are healing up.
  • The two of them spent hours in a cafe owned by one of the two campers later found murdered in Moab - any corroboration from anywhere?

Interesting that the domestic disturbance call was actually HER hitting HIM.

Wondering if perhaps she ran off and killed herself somewhere and he has no idea what happened to her but is not speaking due to his lawyers advice.
I'm catching up on this, but I had some interaction with a DV situation.

My wife and I have a female friend. Years ago, her and her husband got into an argument and she threw something at him.  When the cops came and that came out, she was arrested.  I know this because I vouched for her with the bail bondsman.

My suspicion is that he killed her accidentally during a fight, and he panicked and covered it up.  I only watched about 1/3 of that video, but did you see how incredibly nervous he was talking to the police even in a situation where he was the victim?

Of course, there are plenty of possibilities and I'd be happy to be wrong and find she's alive somewhere.
I think its normal to feel nervous talking to police. Maybe he was nervous because he didnt want his girlfriend to get arrested.

But if that was the case, why not call for help immediately? Why not say all this?
Heck, maybe she fell down a canyon trying to take a selfie or some #### and he has no idea.

ie maybe he wasnt with her

But if that was the case, why not call for help immediately? Why not say all this?

I think he's saying she did that not in his presence.  They split up and THEN something happened to her.  It's like I said much earlier in the thread.  If this thread had been a year ago I would have been the one posting something like what you just asked and saying he's probably guilty.  After watching that video from the lawyer I changed my tune - as he explains in the video, nothing that this guy says can be used FOR him but everything he says can be used AGAINST him.

Let's imagine a scenario where the guy relents this afternoon and agrees to cooperate.  The first thing that he says is "I left Gabby at X and that's the last I saw of her."  Police go and within hours they find her body and it appears to be foul play.  Everybody in this thread would immediately say the dude is guilty (and sure, he probably would be and/or it) but we honestly don't know.

I think he's saying she did that not in his presence.  They split up and THEN something happened to her.  It's like I said much earlier in the thread.  If this thread had been a year ago I would have been the one posting something like what you just asked and saying he's probably guilty.  After watching that video from the lawyer I changed my tune - as he explains in the video, nothing that this guy says can be used FOR him but everything he says can be used AGAINST him.

Let's imagine a scenario where the guy relents this afternoon and agrees to cooperate.  The first thing that he says is "I left Gabby at X and that's the last I saw of her."  Police go and within hours they find her body and it appears to be foul play.  Everybody in this thread would immediately say the dude is guilty (and sure, he probably would be and/or it) but we honestly don't know.
But still...let's say she wondered off and he didn't know if she's alive or what...the normal response would be to call the authorities and them your fiance is missing. I understand how you will be looked at with suspicion. 

The alternative of just leaving and not saying a word though looks a million times worse, imo. How would you just leave your fiancé by herself?

Eta: if they split up, why would he have HER van?

I skimmed through it and at once point they ask him if he's taking any meds and say something like "you seem hyper" or anxious, something like that.  He said, everybody gets anxious when they see the blue lights and the cop laughed and said, he gets anxious seeing the lights too.  Was kind of funny interchange.

Honestly, and I hate to speculate on this, but if all you showed me was that cam footage and then said she was dead and I had to guess how she died I think my first guess would be suicide.  She seemed kind of manic and sadly has some issues - she was even acknowledging as much saying she has OCD and was apologizing for being mean, etc.

Sad situation all around and what I will say is that if the guy is guilty I hope they find proof of it and put him away for a long time.

But still...let's say she wondered off and he didn't know if she's alive or what...the normal response would be to call the authorities and them your fiance is missing. I understand how you will be looked at with suspicion. 

The alternative of just leaving and not saying a word though looks a million times worse, imo. How would you just leave your fiancé by herself?

Eta: if they split up, why would he have HER van?

Oh sure, but that's not really the scenario here, right?  Or maybe I don't have all the facts straight - honestly, early on I didn't even read about it but talked in generalities and then once the thread and this story has stayed on the front page I started learning more.  Is there a good timeline link?

ETA - found this - https://abc7ny.com/gabby-petito-disappearance-timeline-brian-laundrie/11024821/

I'm guessing there may be better but that gives some details.

Like most everyone, my initial thought is that he likely killed her, but I’m trying real hard to give him the benefit of the doubt. There are a number of things that may have happened that could explain his behavior, but one of the more curious things to me is that he drove HER van back to FL.

I’m going to guess there will be some tracing of cell phone GPS coordinates by the police similar to the doomsday couple. 

Obviously, I don't know what this guy knows.  That said, if I had information that could help in finding her ALIVE I would absolutely provide it to the authorities, and my attorney can kiss my petunia.  I couldn't live with myself if I had information that could help and she ended up dead because I didn't provide it to protect myself. 

Oh sure, but that's not really the scenario here, right?  Or maybe I don't have all the facts straight - honestly, early on I didn't even read about it but talked in generalities and then once the thread and this story has stayed on the front page I started learning more.  Is there a good timeline link?

ETA - found this - https://abc7ny.com/gabby-petito-disappearance-timeline-brian-laundrie/11024821/

I'm guessing there may be better but that gives some details.
>>When police in Florida knocked on the Laundrie's that night, his parents handed them a lawyer's phone number.<<

Suspicious?

Obviously, I don't know what this guy knows.  That said, if I had information that could help in finding her ALIVE I would absolutely provide it to the authorities, and my attorney can kiss my petunia.  I couldn't live with myself if I had information that could help and she ended up dead because I didn't provide it to protect myself. 

Don't disagree - also don't want to spend the rest of my life in jail for something I didn't do.  It would be curious to know what kind of questions a lawyer would allow you to answer.  I could see maybe allowing officers to provide questions to you and your lawyer and then let the lawyer answer them?? 

>>When police in Florida knocked on the Laundrie's that night, his parents handed them a lawyer's phone number.<<

Suspicious?

I think we are ingrained by our experiences and by media to say yes - I'm just not sure any more.  I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point but watch that video if you haven't.  That lawyer gives a lot of good reasons and examples why you should probably keep your mouth shut.  That's why I also asked the question to Woz about if you could help without implicating yourself.  My natural instinct would be to help too - especially in this scenario where it's presumably someone he cares about.  I'd be inclined to help even if I didn't know the person.

Don't disagree - also don't want to spend the rest of my life in jail for something I didn't do.  It would be curious to know what kind of questions a lawyer would allow you to answer.  I could see maybe allowing officers to provide questions to you and your lawyer and then let the lawyer answer them?? 

I would probably give a statement to my lawyer, let him lawyer it up such that it conveys the information needing to be conveyed but protects me as much as possible, and let him pass it on to the authorities. 

I would probably give a statement to my lawyer, let him lawyer it up such that it conveys the information needing to be conveyed but protects me as much as possible, and let him pass it on to the authorities. 

Mr. John123, in your written statement to police you state, "I left Gabby at 11:00am on 8/24 at the gas station in Johnson City."  But we have an eye witness that puts you and Gabby together on 8/25 in the next town over.  Can you explain why the discrepancy in your story with our witness?

Mr. John123, in your written statement to police you state, "I left Gabby at 11:00am on 8/24 at the gas station in Johnson City."  But we have an eye witness that puts you and Gabby together on 8/25 in the next town over.  Can you explain why the discrepancy in your story with our witness?

what the hell are you talking about?  Now you're making stuff up.  :wall:

what the hell are you talking about?  Now you're making stuff up.  :wall:

You don't think there's eye witnesses that get things wrong - either intentionally or unintentionally?

ETA - in case it wasn't obvious, I was giving a counterargument to your comment about giving a written statement.  It's possible you are willing to accept that risk.  I'm not certain I am either way.

After reading some of the venom on his Instagram feed, and knowing obnoxious stuff people do via social media, I’d keep my mouth shut now.

That being said, if she truly went missing, I’d have said something to the authorities ASAP.

Taking the RV and not contacting the authorities ties his hands at this point.

You don't think there's eye witnesses that get things wrong - either intentionally or unintentionally?

ETA - in case it wasn't obvious, I was giving a counterargument to your comment about giving a written statement.  It's possible you are willing to accept that risk.  I'm not certain I am either way.

Your counterargument was based off a hypothetical.  However, you're ignoring the premise of  this tangent.  Namely, that I want to HELP find her alive.  IF I was giving information to the authorities it would be 100% factual.   Now, I can't say that there won't be some liar out there willing to lie about witnessing something he/she didn't, but I wouldn't base my decision of whether to help on that possibility. 

"Mr. Policeman Sir, your eyewitness probably needs new glasses or was looking through a dirty screen. Didn't you see My Counsin Vinny?"

Pound salt, sir.

After reading some of the venom on his Instagram feed, and knowing obnoxious stuff people do via social media, I’d keep my mouth shut now.

That being said, if she truly went missing, I’d have said something to the authorities ASAP.

Taking the RV and not contacting the authorities ties his hands at this point.

Yeah, this may not be the textbook example of why you should keep your mouth shut and if you put a gun to my head and said I had to say he's guilty or innocent, I'm picking guilty but that doesn't really refute the points about whether it's in your best interest to cooperate.  I will say that in the perfect scenario and assuming innocence it probably comes down to your personality - are you willing to take the risk you could go to jail for the rest of your life to cooperate to find the missing person.  Lots of factors in that obviously and of course, if it's my wife, kids, somebody I'm close to I would almost definitely err on the side of jail to find them.  Dog or stranger - maybe.

it's in the miranda statement.

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

Yeah, this may not be the textbook example of why you should keep your mouth shut and if you put a gun to my head and said I had to say he's guilty or innocent, I'm picking guilty but that doesn't really refute the points about whether it's in your best interest to cooperate.  I will say that in the perfect scenario and assuming innocence it probably comes down to your personality - are you willing to take the risk you could go to jail for the rest of your life to cooperate to find the missing person.  Lots of factors in that obviously and of course, if it's my wife, kids, somebody I'm close to I would almost definitely err on the side of jail to find them.  Dog or stranger - maybe.
If someone I cared about was missing, CYA (CMA?) would be the last thing on my mind. I'd want to mobilize the authorities ASAP to help find them, especially if they disappeared in a desolate environment.

If they got in a fight and separated, different story. But I wouldn't take the van in that case, because it's in her name.

Possible scenario: They argue, in her mania she gets out and walks off into the dark. Next morning she’s no where to be found. In light of the previous domestic incident he decides it’s best to just go home because he’s pretty certain no one will believe him. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread