What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

Any good deals out there on this? I need to get Skylanders for my kid for Christmas - any B1 get another discounted deals out there?

M for Mature: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexual Themes, Use of Alcohol
Oof. This is going to kill my playing time if I get it for the PS3. Really tempted to play it on low specs on my PC. Low specs play -versus- limited playing with perfect specs. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
M for Mature: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexual Themes, Use of Alcohol
Oof. This is going to kill my playing time if I get it for the PS3. Really tempted to play it on low specs on my PC. Low specs play -versus- limited playing with perfect specs. :unsure:
Playing >>>>>> not playing
I know. :(
Can you move the ps3 to a tv that is more private?
I'll make due. I could move it to the TV in the bedroom, but there's no HDTV and we use the PS3 for bluray movies and netflix instant. Ah well. Maybe this will regulate my play and keep my work from going down the drain. :thumbup:

Nice 22 minute preview of the game:

So I just watched this and it looks coolHere is my question for you vets. I have never played a RPG before. Last month, I picked up Oblivion GOTY edition and I have only been able to play about an hour (I just got out of the dungeon where the King gives me the mission)Should I just skip Oblivion for now since the leveling is difficult and play Skyrim so I can come on here and talk about it, or stick with Oblivion and then move onto Skyrim.Im hoping I have some more time to play then I have in the past month now that my soccer season is over

I guess I'm amongst the few people that wasn't bothered by the leveling system. In fact, I didn't realize there was a flaw until I read the threads after beating it.

'Matthias said:
'AhrnCityPahnder said:
I'd say the opposite. Play through Oblivion now and then pick up a used copy of Skyrim when you're done.
Yah, but then he'd miss out on the jibber jabber of people talking about it as he's playing it. That's worth twenty or thirty bucks. Besides, Skyrim would be an easier introduction to RPGs since there would be less fussiness involved in the stats.
I wonder how linear this will be. At some point people are going to stray from the main story and go explore the numerous dungeons, in which case the discussions here won't be as helpful.

'Matthias said:
'AhrnCityPahnder said:
I'd say the opposite. Play through Oblivion now and then pick up a used copy of Skyrim when you're done.
Yah, but then he'd miss out on the jibber jabber of people talking about it as he's playing it. That's worth twenty or thirty bucks. Besides, Skyrim would be an easier introduction to RPGs since there would be less fussiness involved in the stats.
This is my thinking as well. There's some extra consumption value in playing the game at the same time that others are playing it and being able to share thoughts in something like real time. But of course I'm a level 47 FBG with the correpsonding vault of gold pieces, so spending an extra $30 on a new game isn't that big a deal.
I wonder how linear this will be. At some point people are going to stray from the main story and go explore the numerous dungeons, in which case the discussions here won't be as helpful.
This is the kind of game where you can learn a lot from what other people are doing. If somebody posts about some cool loot they got from a dungeon out in the sticks that I never would have encountered on my own, I'll know to put that one on my map and to go looking for it later on. That's why games like this have wikis while Uncharted and Dead Space don't.

'Matthias said:
'AhrnCityPahnder said:
This is my thinking as well. There's some extra consumption value in playing the game at the same time that others are playing it and being able to share thoughts in something like real time. But of course I'm a level 47 FBG with the correpsonding vault of gold pieces, so spending an extra $30 on a new game isn't that big a deal.
This is the kind of game where you can learn a lot from what other people are doing. If somebody posts about some cool loot they got from a dungeon out in the sticks that I never would have encountered on my own, I'll know to put that one on my map and to go looking for it later on. That's why games like this have wikis while Uncharted and Dead Space don't.
:goodposting: Also, I'm all about side quest lines first. At least one or two. I loved doing the Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests before bothering with Kavtch. The monsters may level with you, but having the assassins cloak and the Thieves Guild hood were money during the main story.

Also, I'm all about side quest lines first. At least one or two. I loved doing the Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests before bothering with Kavtch. The monsters may level with you, but having the assassins cloak and the Thieves Guild hood were money during the main story.
I *hated* the Oblivion Gates spawning everywhere... so I started a new game and simply never bothered with Kavtch (which kept that from happening). Still got 100+ hours and numerous interesting storylines out of the game. Just amazing.

When i picked up Arkham City at Kmart they were running a promotion (that is why I bought it at Kmart) that gave you a $30 credt toward any new game with the purchase of the new Batman title.

I am using it on this badboy.

But the shrink wrap is staying on this game till I finish AC which IMO is hands down the best video game I have ever played.

Skyrim though looks like an RPG dream. My favorite RPG ever thus far has been Dragon Age Origins. I have a feeling Skyrim will be right there. The only thing I think DAO will hold over Skyrim is the depth and quality of the main quest as DAO is not an open sandbox like Skyrim.

Also, I'm all about side quest lines first. At least one or two. I loved doing the Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests before bothering with Kavtch. The monsters may level with you, but having the assassins cloak and the Thieves Guild hood were money during the main story.
I *hated* the Oblivion Gates spawning everywhere... so I started a new game and simply never bothered with Kavtch (which kept that from happening). Still got 100+ hours and numerous interesting storylines out of the game. Just amazing.
Yea, this is the real achievement of Oblivion. You didn't have to do the main storyline for 100 hours and still had a great experience out of the game. It was really like 5 games in one, with the added fun of mini-quests and random encounters.

'Matthias said:
I guess I'm amongst the few people that wasn't bothered by the leveling system. In fact, I didn't realize there was a flaw until I read the threads after beating it.
I had no issues with it either.
Me too.Can someone please explain what was wrong with it? Im not sure I follow the complaints.
I think most of the complaints were along the lines of...* If you did what seemed natural and put the skills you wanted to use as your primary skills, you leveled up too fast and got creamed.* If you did what seemed unnatural and put the skills you weren't going to use as your primary skills, you controlled your leveling but it made playing the game very mechanical. Additionally, once you got close to a level you'd have to take time out to do something repeatedly to make sure that you got a max level bonus in whatever attributes.
Ok thanks. I can relate to all that. Didnt bother me all that much at the time but I see how it could be improved. Regarding your first asterik, it took me FOREVER to pass the first Oblivion Gate as well as a sidequest in a mausoleum where two corrupt dudes kept slaughtering me :lol:

'Matthias said:
Me too.Can someone please explain what was wrong with it? Im not sure I follow the complaints.
I think most of the complaints were along the lines of...* If you did what seemed natural and put the skills you wanted to use as your primary skills, you leveled up too fast and got creamed.* If you did what seemed unnatural and put the skills you weren't going to use as your primary skills, you controlled your leveling but it made playing the game very mechanical. Additionally, once you got close to a level you'd have to take time out to do something repeatedly to make sure that you got a max level bonus in whatever attributes.
I think the developers had a good idea with the leveling in Oblivion, but they executed it poorly. There was far too much silliness and jumping around to increase some skills. You could also just continually cast minor heal spells and become a master in that magic branch.I thought it was stupid that you needed to put your least used skills as your primary so that you wouldn't level up too fast doing small easy stuff.But I can't get away from the fact that the concept of their leveling system is spot on. You shouldn't be able to hack and slash your way to a higher level and then put the points to magic use. That is lame. But they needed to refine how your skill goes up. Using more complicated spells, or using a particular type of spell in a certain situation should allow you to gain in experience and power.

The leveling system in Oblivion runied the game for me after putting in over 45 hours.

I hated it and never went back to the game. Glad I bought it used for 15 bucks.

Fallout 3 on the other hand got it right. I am happy Skyrim wil be not like Oblvions system.

But I can't get away from the fact that the concept of their leveling system is spot on. You shouldn't be able to hack and slash your way to a higher level and then put the points to magic use. That is lame.
I completely understand where you're coming from, and I respect this point of view. I agree that it was kind of lame in Fallout to be able to max out my Heavy Guns (or whatever it was) skill before ever actually firing a heavy weapon, but as unrealistic as that was, it was more fun than the tedium of sneaking in a corner for an hour to level up Sneak or casting the same spell over and over and over again in an empty room to level up one my spellcasting skills.

But I can't get away from the fact that the concept of their leveling system is spot on. You shouldn't be able to hack and slash your way to a higher level and then put the points to magic use. That is lame.
I completely understand where you're coming from, and I respect this point of view. I agree that it was kind of lame in Fallout to be able to max out my Heavy Guns (or whatever it was) skill before ever actually firing a heavy weapon, but as unrealistic as that was, it was more fun than the tedium of sneaking in a corner for an hour to level up Sneak or casting the same spell over and over and over again in an empty room to level up one my spellcasting skills.
This is exactly my point. They had horrible execution of a good idea. I completely agree with you that doing those tedious things over and over again was stupid. That's like saying if I hammer a nail into a piece of wood 10,000 times I'll suddenly know how to build a house. They need to get the repetitive action out of it and make it based on higher and higher level skills used and more importantly when they are used. Using a base level healing spell in an empty room when you are at full health should not get you as much experience as if you cast it in a dungeon during, or just after a battle.

Does anyone know if there will be a good way of having multiple "guys" in Skyrim? Where you start up the game and choose either your Thief build, Tank build, Mage or whatever?

Does anyone know if there will be a good way of having multiple "guys" in Skyrim? Where you start up the game and choose either your Thief build, Tank build, Mage or whatever?
Can probably just do different saves.
That's an ugly way to do it. How much work can it be to set up a menu when you fire it up similar to Demons Souls? Or most RPGs since their inception. It can be difficult to differentiate between saves if you've got multiple guys going at once (at least on consoles).

That's an ugly way to do it. How much work can it be to set up a menu when you fire it up similar to Demons Souls? Or most RPGs since their inception. It can be difficult to differentiate between saves if you've got multiple guys going at once (at least on consoles).
:shrug:Just name your save "Tank" "Mage" "Thief". Dunno, I've usually just played through one way, then changed and played through again.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Not really about being helpful as much as it is about being part of the zeitgeist. Even if you're doing different things, you're still doing the same game and can shoot the #### on what you like/dislike/other about it.
:goodposting: This. For instance, I am finally getting around to Demon's Souls, 2 years afterthefact and with Dark Souls out and me still back on Demon's Souls, I feel like I'm missing out on the 'community' feel of the game and such.I'd highly recommend getting Skyrim and playing Oblivion down the road.

'Matthias said:
I think most of the complaints were along the lines of...* If you did what seemed natural and put the skills you wanted to use as your primary skills, you leveled up too fast and got creamed.

* If you did what seemed unnatural and put the skills you weren't going to use as your primary skills, you controlled your leveling but it made playing the game very mechanical. Additionally, once you got close to a level you'd have to take time out to do something repeatedly to make sure that you got a max level bonus in whatever attributes.
Ok thanks. I can relate to all that. Didnt bother me all that much at the time but I see how it could be improved. Regarding your first asterik, it took me FOREVER to pass the first Oblivion Gate as well as a sidequest in a mausoleum where two corrupt dudes kept slaughtering me :lol:
Calliben's Grim Retort is in that mausoleum, perhaps my favorite weapon in the game (certainly my most used weapon). You also get Debaser which is a decent blade. That's a lot of good loot for a fairly insignificant side quest.

Me neither. I liked how monsters leveled with you. I just didn't like the repetitive way some skills were gained - like Marksmen and Merchant.
Part of the traditional RPG experience is leveling up, feeling like your character is evolving into some kind of superstar. I think I beat the game on level 12, never had that feeling. I also felt like I had to spend an hour reading about the skill system before I even started my first game, so I could make sure my guy didn't level up so fast that the game got ridiculously hard (ended up having the opposite problem, ironically). It wasn't the end of the world, but they took an aspect of RPG's that's usually fun and made it a bit of a pain in the ###.

does anyone know what the console resolution of the game will be (720p, 1080i, or 1080p?)
Nope, Bethesda won't/hasn't said until Friday.In fact, the fact that there is basically zero info out there, other than us gamers who are hyping it (and the recent commercials) is very intriguing, imo.I mean, hardly anything at all has leaked or been allowed to come out and we're 3+ days away. Pretty surprising imo.

:shrug:Just name your save "Tank" "Mage" "Thief". Dunno, I've usually just played through one way, then changed and played through again.
Ugh. Well, hopefully they addressed this. We'll see.

Bethesda released a new video yesterday. No spoilers, really, just some views in-game and minor dialogue.

Game looks incredible. I am going to get it on PC next year, but in the meantime, debating 360 or PS3...hmmmm.

My link

Broke down and preordered today for my PS3.

I feel like a kid again. I'm actually considering hitting up Gamestop at midnight so I can take a quick looksee, then have it to play after work Friday.

:nerd:

Broke down and preordered today for my PS3. I feel like a kid again. I'm actually considering hitting up Gamestop at midnight so I can take a quick looksee, then have it to play after work Friday. :nerd:
I have off Friday for veterans day.

In fact, the fact that there is basically zero info out there, other than us gamers who are hyping it (and the recent commercials) is very intriguing, imo.I mean, hardly anything at all has leaked or been allowed to come out and we're 3+ days away. Pretty surprising imo.
There's TONS of leaked stuff out there. An incredible amount, really. The trick is catching it in the hour or two before its taken down at the request of Zenimax, the company that owns Bethesda.

It's a toss-up between this and MW3. I've got Friday off, too. Not sure yet how I'm going to choose.

In fact, the fact that there is basically zero info out there, other than us gamers who are hyping it (and the recent commercials) is very intriguing, imo.I mean, hardly anything at all has leaked or been allowed to come out and we're 3+ days away. Pretty surprising imo.
There's TONS of leaked stuff out there. An incredible amount, really. The trick is catching it in the hour or two before its taken down at the request of Zenimax, the company that owns Bethesda.
I was referring to official reviews etc.Everything I'm reading says they are allowed to post the reviews on Thursday, 8am EST.

I was referring to official reviews etc.Everything I'm reading says they are allowed to post the reviews on Thursday, 8am EST.
Oh, in that case, you're absolutely correct. There's an embargo on official reviews until then, I believe.

I'm still torn between console and computer... Huge nice TV, our more playing time with no battle for TV.

Users who are viewing this thread