What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Well Soon GB Maurile Tremblay (3 Viewers)

A quick health update (cross-posted to Facebook):

It was close to a year ago that a cancerous tumor broke through my colon wall, partially invaded my abdominal cavity, and infected my blood stream. My wonderful surgeon cut the tumor out of me, taking a bit of my large intestine with it for good measure. This saved my life, but must have been a ghastly hardship for my surgeon and the other healthcare workers who were so mercilessly exposed to my colon. As punishment for putting them through the ordeal, I was sentenced to six months of chemotherapy. I served the full term and figure that the medical community and I are now basically even.

Fast-forward to the present. I had a PET scan a couple weeks ago and got the results last week: I'm cancer-free. It's the result I was expecting, but my oncologist seemed a lot more relieved than I thought he should be. Apparently, based on my tumor's disposition when I was first diagnosed, my risk for recurrence within the first year was much greater than I'd realized. I'm still at an increased risk for the next few years, but I'm feeling lucky. Lucky to be alive, lucky for my recent clean imaging scan, and lucky to have such supportive family and friends.

I hope you're all having a terrific summer!
Very good news. Thank you for the update. Hopefully you are having a great summer as well. I will go out on a limb and say I think we are all feeling a bit lucky right there alongside you, as you are such a positive contributor here on so many subjects that I can't (and don't want to) imagine this place without MT. Continued positive vibes coming your way, good job kicking it's rear end.

Otis said:
As our diet guru, what do you mean by clean eating?  What approach are you taking these days?
I have just six meals that I keep cycling through and never get sick of. The soup in particular I could eat every day for every meal and I think I'd be pretty happy about it. It never gets old. (And it's nutritionally complete by itself.)

My meals are:

1. Soup - ~2 times a day. (I make a giant batch about once every five days. Recipe below.)

2. Salad - 4-5 times a week. (Mixed greens, olives, almonds, roquefort cheese, sauerkraut or kimchi. Dressing: equal parts hummus, salsa, and guacamole; plus an egg yolk and some anchovy paste. Feel free to steal this recipe for dressing. It's delicious.)

3. Sweet potatoes - 4-5 times a week. (I roast three pounds at once and keep them in the refrigerator. I usually eat them cold, but sometimes reheat them in the microwave.)

4. Grass-fed yogurt with almonds, honey, cacao powder, and sometimes fruit - 2-3 times a week.

5. Oatmeal soaked in almond milk - 2-3 times a week. (I've been buying MUSH, but I'll start making my own soon.)

6. Roquefort cheese - 2-3 times a week (either by itself, or stirred up with any or all of the following leftover ingredients: saurkraut, almonds, hummus, salsa, guacamole).

When I eat out (maybe twice a week), I generally get a salad with ahi or shrimp. Pretty much every restaurant has something like that.

Usually water to drink. Herbal tea if I make the extra effort.

My soup recipe. It changes a little each time I make it, but this is pretty representative:

5 lbs of white potatoes, diced.

3 lbs of onions, diced.

32 oz of chicken or beef bone broth.

16 oz jar of salsa (or sometimes tomato sauce).

1 cup dried split peas.

1 cup dried red lentils.

5 oz whole wheat pasta

1 can black beans (or some other pulse)

1 lb seafood (usually frozen octopus or squid, or canned salmon or sardines).

1-2 handfuls of baby spinach or other greens.

1 cup of water, or however much it takes to make things liquid enough to actually stir.

A teaspoon or so each of turmeric and black pepper.

Sriracha to taste.

Put everything in a stock pot and heat while occasionally stirring until everything is kind of soft. (It's usually the peas and lentils that take the longest.)

By my calculations, that's about 4,900 calories of soup. Broken into 10 servings of about 490 calories each, each serving should have about 87g carbohydrate (including 15g fiber), 2.5g fat, and 31g protein. I sometimes eat it cold out of the refrigerator. If I reheat a serving of it, I'll usually add an egg (not included in nutritional info).

Otis said:
And out of curiosity, do you believe your previous diet had anything to do with the cancer developing in the first place?  Always wonder about this...
I think it's pretty likely. I've spent a great deal of my adult life eating way too much crappy food (pizza, ice cream, buffalo wings...), drinking too much alcohol, and being way too sedentary. Those things are all risk factors for various kinds of cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brand?  I wanna stop buying big brand yogurt, but I'm too lazy to research.  Have you thought of making your own?  I've been told it's not difficult.
St. Benoit.

I've never made my own yogurt. I've made my own kombucha, dill pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, and mead. I think that covers all of my fermentation experiments that I can think of. None of them were difficult.

Maurile Tremblay said:
A quick health update (cross-posted to Facebook):

It was close to a year ago that a cancerous tumor broke through my colon wall, partially invaded my abdominal cavity, and infected my blood stream. My wonderful surgeon cut the tumor out of me, taking a bit of my large intestine with it for good measure. This saved my life, but must have been a ghastly hardship for my surgeon and the other healthcare workers who were so mercilessly exposed to my colon. As punishment for putting them through the ordeal, I was sentenced to six months of chemotherapy. I served the full term and figure that the medical community and I are now basically even.

Fast-forward to the present. I had a PET scan a couple weeks ago and got the results last week: I'm cancer-free. It's the result I was expecting, but my oncologist seemed a lot more relieved than I thought he should be. Apparently, based on my tumor's disposition when I was first diagnosed, my risk for recurrence within the first year was much greater than I'd realized. I'm still at an increased risk for the next few years, but I'm feeling lucky. Lucky to be alive, lucky for my recent clean imaging scan, and lucky to have such supportive family and friends.

I hope you're all having a terrific summer!
Good news about a good man.  

Great news! Thanks for the soup recipe. I'm always looking for healthy stuff too. Even with bc diet and exercise are tooted as much as the meds you take to (hopefully) help prevent mets or recurrence. I hear you on being high risk, even on meds. Best wishes to you! xx

Users who are viewing this thread