What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

You all talking about hearing a song somewhere and trying to figure out title/artist totally rings a bell. I wish we could've searched lyrics on Google back in the day.

One thing that helped me -- counter to jwb's experience having to go to NYC -- is that New Orleans is a music town. Accordingly, the local record stores were FANTASTIC for song-finding research. On top of the local record shops, we got a huge Tower Records in the French Quarter sometime circa 1990. Sometimes before going to rat the streets, we'd park in the pay parking lot near Tower and then drop in to peruse cassettes (CDs were out, but not yet the dominant form). Many a time I went into that Tower Records with just a presumed title (guessed from the lyrics, which was maybe 50/50) and would go through every album they carried for a given artist to see if a song by that presumed title was on there.

This band is ineligible, so no spotlight: My freshman year of college, I remember hearing Supertramp's "The Logical Song" on the classic-rock station. Despite my cousin having the Breakfast In America album and me therefore having heard the song at least several times as a kid, my 18-year-old self was completely blanking on the title and artist. Not long after, I was riding in the car with a friend and "The Logical Song" came on again. I asked him if he knew who it was, and he said he thought it was Zebra (! -- but the singers' voices have similarity, so not miles off base).

Sometime later, I was going through one of Joel Whitburn's Top 40 books in LSU's library (specifically this one -- I have since bought my own copy). I would sometimes casually peruse this and other popular music references to pass time -- my social calendar wasn't particularly full at the time. Anyway, by sheer kismet I saw the title "The Logical Song" by Supertramp. I wondered if that could be the mystery song, and filed the memory away.

Not too long after that, me and my friends were looking through a local Baton Rouge music store which was finally giving up the ghost on selling 45s -- they had a large room filled with clearance 7" records. My family still had a working turntable/cassette player stereo at home, so I could make tape copies of any 45s I liked (something I did a lot at the time). We scoured the clearance 45s looking for whatever, and I saw a copy of "The Logical Song". Remember, at this point, I didn't have confirmation -- the mystery song could've been "The Logical Song", but still maybe not. I added it to my pile and bought the record anyway.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed with my sleuthing efforts once I got that record on a turntable to confirm. And when my Columbia House mailer next came around ... I purchased Breakfast In America. On cassette, natch. :D

Anyone else have Brother Jed and his flock preach at their school for a week or two every semester?
A week or two? You all got off lucky. LSU attracted screaming preachers from all across the South. They'd not only set up camp at well-trafficked parts of campus, they'd also often have large displays near many of the LSU-area bars that students' frequented. They couldn't be on the bars' property, but if you had to park a few blocks away and walked, you were going to get a yelling-at most weekends.

I was trying to find photos of some of the New Orleans' record stores of my youth that have since closed their doors (though a surprising number are still around). I couldn't find this one specific place, but in searching for that, I did find a scanned PDF copy of Wavelength, the University of New Orleans' student-produced music magazine, from February 1985.

Even though none of you are from around here (except worrierking across the state), looking through a period magazine like this and seeing the ads and looking at the reviews and the notices of bands that passed through ... well, maybe it'll stoke a little nostalgia for some of you.

One thing that helped me -- counter to jwb's experience having to go to NYC -- is that New Orleans is a music town. Accordingly, the local record stores were FANTASTIC for song-finding research. On top of the local record shops, we got a huge Tower Records in the French Quarter sometime circa 1990. Sometimes before going to rat the streets, we'd park in the pay parking lot near Tower and then drop in to peruse cassettes (CDs were out, but not yet the dominant form). Many a time I went into that Tower Records with just a presumed title (guessed from the lyrics, which was maybe 50/50) and would go through every album they carried for a given artist to see if a song by that presumed title was on there.

Where you lived definitely played a big part. We had a local record store or two, but nothing special. And the workers were generally local peers, so they really knew nothing either beyond Billboard lists or whatnot. When I set foot in my first Tower Records (like 19 or 20), I was blown away by the selection. And like you, I'd have lyric fragments and/or a presumed title (which didn't always work), and would sleuth that way. I made it a point to take a trip every few months. I'd also buy stuff just off the cover, hoping to find something cool (and I sometimes did - hello P-Funk!)

Contrast that to now where even getting one line of the lyrics can usually bear fruit.

Doug, I purchased two Ian Dury records (vinyl) at that Tower Records in the Quarter around 1988-89. I also remember getting nearly the whole Loudon Wainwright III discography on LP (used) at Record Ron's in the Quarter around the same time. @Doug B

There was another great used store down Decatur (closer to Canal), but I can't remember the name.

I was trying to find photos of some of the New Orleans' record stores of my youth that have since closed their doors (though a surprising number are still around). I couldn't find this one specific place, but in searching for that, I did find a scanned PDF copy of Wavelength, the University of New Orleans' student-produced music magazine, from February 1985.

Even though none of you are from around here (except worrierking across the state), looking through a period magazine like this and seeing the ads and looking at the reviews and the notices of bands that passed through ... well, maybe it'll stoke a little nostalgia for some of you.

This is awesome - thanks.

Doug, I purchased two Ian Dury records (vinyl) at that Tower Records in the Quarter around 1988-89. I also remember getting nearly the whole Loudon Wainwright III discography on LP (used) at Record Ron's in the Quarter around the same time. @Doug B

There was another great used store down Decatur (closer to Canal), but I can't remember the name.
The Decatur Street place ... I can't remember what it was called back then. Today, it is No Pulp Records.

So ... that Tower Records opened a bit earlier than I remembered. Years start running together after a while (preaching to the choir here).

holy ****!!! ...is that Bobby Kimball on the upper right of that Toto picture?

he was never skinny, but that band could be called "3 Skinny Guys & The Fate Dude" :lmao:

The Decatur Street place ... I can't remember what it was called back then. Today, it is No Pulp Records.

So ... that Tower Records opened a bit earlier than I remembered. Years start running together after a while (preaching to the choir here).

Don't count on my memory being better than yours!

On one of these trips to NO in that same time frame, (the future) Worrierqueen and I stumbled into Tipitina's and discovered The Neville Brothers were playing. The next night we went back and it was Koko Taylor. Unbelievable times for me, just discovering that city!

I'm thinking I would really like to get a turntable. Do any of you have any recommendations? Don't need a phono pre-amp as my receiver has one built in.

I'm thinking I would really like to get a turntable. Do any of you have any recommendations? Don't need a phono pre-amp as my receiver has one built in.
I just bought one a few months ago (a used Panasonic) from a local record store. Good record stores - of which there are increasingly few - can be a goldmine for used authentic ones. Pretty happy with it, but it's really about the speakers.

Shuke's best song by this particular artist picks:
Dr. Octopus: War Pigs/Luke's Wall - Black Sabbath
rockaction: Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand
falguy: Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

Other favorites (This space reserved for all Traffic, Yes, Radiohead, Zeppelin tunes, among others):
Yankee23Fan: Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
Hawks64: Roundabout – Yes
Mrs. Eephus: The Changingman - Paul Weller
ditkaburgers: Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
cosjobs: She's Not There - The Zombies

New to me favorites:
worrierking: Boom, Like That - Mark Knopfler
MAC_32: Knights Of Cydonia - Muse (HOLY CRAP THIS VIDEO!!)

New to me, not going to say it's a favorite, but it's different, and interesting.
timschochet: Never Never - The Assembly
Lol, yeah that Knights of Cydonia video is ****ing ridiculous.

:lmao: ...LOL - I loved it

one of the comments:

ocfloydian

3 weeks ago
This is the perfect example of they don't make them like this anymore

This is awesome - thanks.
Highlights of the issue:

- Esprit ad on pg 3 (just screams "EIGHTIES!!!1!1!!JUAN!!")​
- Bongo clothing store ad on pg 7 (local interest -- it's where the goths got their legit gear from and the first place I remember locally that sold Doc Marten's)​
- Peaches Records ad on pg 9 (I think they were a Southern-states chain, but a cool one)​
- "Don't use AKG because Toto does ..." microphone ad on pg 10​
- "The NEW Roland Guitar Synthesizer" ad on pg 11 (it's not a keytar ... is it a guit-board?)​
- Beloved local cartoonist Bunny Matthews on pp 17-23. Obvious Robert Crumb influence, but not a rip-off. "Johnny Dionysius" is a play on Bacchus, one of the large and renowned Mardi Gras parade krewes (this Feb 1985 issue was basically the Mardi Gras issue)​
- Neville Brothers concert ad on pg 32, with the pre-fame Red Hot Chili Peppers playing the same venue two nights earlier​
- The Louisiana Superdome presents Prince (Purple Rain tour, 2/1/1985), pg 34​
- Riverboat President concerts were still a thing in 1985, pg 35. War (minus Eric Burdon), The Producers, and a spotlight band played that month​
- Sha Na Na played the Blue Room 2/12/1985 @Mister CIA , pg 36​
- Local Who's Who of New Orleans music club acts at Jimmy's on Willow Street, pg 40. The Neville Brothers, The Radiators, The Shieks, and a reunion show for The Cold (who I've spotlighted before, including in the U.S. draft).​

I was trying to find photos of some of the New Orleans' record stores of my youth
Here is mine from Long Island: Record Stop

I still have fond memories of the store and seeing the picture of the owner Bruce Berg was a bit surreal - he was a huge part of my childhood/teen years, and I hadn't thought of him in many many years.
Bruce has a Record Stop in Charleston, SC now

I've been very happy with my Music Hall MMF TT.
I bought a 5.3 ten or so years ago and it's been great. Highly recommend.
I can recommend Music Halls as well. I still have one MMF, but also three Rega Planars of various levels. You can't go wrong with either brand.

I kind of took an opposite approach of going bottom-up with songs I liked irrespective of the artist. Which is why I probably wound up with some songs whose artists I don't entirely love, and omitting certain artists I do love but could not find one particular song to rise above.

I used the zamboni method.

And yeah, I need to post today's pick but am catching up first. Busy days!

I started by listing 40-50 artists then I used some online lists to make sure I didn't miss anything - then selected either what I consider to be the best song from that artist or the one that I have a personal attachment to. Then ranked them. I did throw in a couple of curveballs as I thought of meaningful songs in my life.

It never occurred to me to use any online lists, but it should have!

I was trying to find photos of some of the New Orleans' record stores of my youth

I still have fond memories of the store and seeing the picture of the owner Bruce Berg was a bit surreal - he was a huge part of my childhood/teen years, and I hadn't thought of him in many many years.
Mine was Rainy Day Records in Olympia, WA. I spent dozens of hours browsing in this shop.

Between the Long Island and New Orleans stores, I’m guessing they had every Zebra recording in history.

Speaking of record stores, I worked here, The Record Shop, for about 6 months back in 1982 when I was 17. I had a stash of 200-300 records down in the basement, seperated from the inventory, that were my wish list of sorts. Then I took a job as a shop hand at the diesel shop my dad ran, Oscar Glickman died a year or two later, and his son morphed the store into some kind of military memorabila shop. :crying:

Ten-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
(duplicate – second vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

Shapes Of Things - The Yardbirds
(new artist but see below)

worrierking:

Don't Ask Me Questions - Graham Parker
(new artist)

titusbramble:

Teenage Kicks - The Undertones

simey:

All The Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople

Just Win Baby:

Tempted – Squeeze

Don Quixote:

Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
(duplicate – third AND fourth votes today)

MAC_32:

Rock & Roll Queen - The Subways
(new artist)

timschochet:

Daisy - Karine Polwart
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Help! – The Beatles
(new song)

Hawks64:

She’s A Rainbow
– The Rolling Stones
(new song)

jwb:

White Wedding – Billy Idol

DrIanMalcolm:

True - Spandau Ballet
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Cigarettes & Alcohol - Oasis
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Photograph - Def Leppard
(new song)

shuke:

Boys Don't Cry - The Cure
(new song)

Manster:

Breadfan - Budgie
(new song)

scorchy:

Turn – Travis
(new artist but see below)

Sullie:

No More Lonely Nights - Paul McCartney

Andy Dufresne:

Suffer The Children - Tears For Fears
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken - Camera Obscura
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Cradle Of Love - Billy Idol
(new song)

higgins:

China Girl - David Bowie
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Here's Where The Story Ends - The Sundays
(new artist)

simsarge:

Sweet Talkin' Woman – Electric Light Orchestra
(new song)

Mt. Man:

Games People Play - The Alan Parsons Project
(new song)

landrys hat:

Slowdive - Siouxsie and the Banshees
(new song)

Westerberg:

Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears

Eephus:

It's All Over Now (Mono Version) - The Rolling Stones
(new song)

rockaction:

Song 2 – Blur
(new song)

falguy:

Father Figure - George Michael
(new song)

Hov34:

Livin' Thing – Electric Light Orchestra
(new song)

zamboni:

Where Do The Children Play? - Cat Stevens
(new song)

Doug B:

Games Without Frontiers - Peter Gabriel
(new song)

Ilov80s:

If You're Feeling Sinister - Belle and Sebastian
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
(new song)

Chaos34:

The Ghost In You – The Psychedelic Furs
(new artist)

Chaz McNulty:

Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
(duplicate – third AND fourth votes today)

Zegras11:

Ruby Tuesday – The Rolling Stones
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Rolling in the Deep – Adele
(duplicate – third vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

Stroll On (from “‘Blow-Up”’) - The Yardbirds
(new song based on artist being chosen above)

Mrs. Eephus:

Lips Like Sugar - Echo & the Bunnymen
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

All Night Long - Alexandra Burke
(new artist)

cosjobs:

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
(new artist)

krista4:

Why Does It Always Rain On Me? – Travis
(new song based on artist being chosen above)

- A Deja Vote for a song that we've seen before. “Bitter Sweet Symphony”
- An unexpected (to me) double-up battle on the artist I selected. “Turn” (selected by scorchy) and “Why Does It Always Rain On Me?” (me) by Travis
- A double-up from an artist who can't seem to finish their words. ELO – “Livin’ Thing” and “Sweet Talkin’ Woman”
- A triple-up from one of our Big Three The Rolling Stones: “She’s A Rainbow,” “Ruby Tuesday,” and “It’s All Over Now”
- Five (5!) votes for songs that were selected as potential Ace Award winners, with two of the artists also being doubled up. Plot twist: all of these songs have already been eliminated from contention. “Bitter Sweet Symphony” by The Verve (two votes), “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” (and Tears for Fears also has a second song taken), “Son of a Preacher Man,” and “Song 2”
- Two interrogatories, and one artist who's pissed about that. “Why Does It Always Rain on Me?” and “Where Do the Children Play?” Graham Parker says, “Don’t Ask Me Questions”!
- Three US chain restaurants, including a double-up. “Ruby Tuesday”; two songs by The Yardbirds
- A moment of panic when I saw @landrys hat 's selection. Today he took the song “Slowdive,” but I knew I’d posted “Slowdive” for him yesterday, so I was sure I’d messed up. Turned out that was the band name yesterday. Tricky, Mr. hat. Tricky.

- A triple-up from one of our Big Three The Rolling Stones: “She’s A Rainbow,” “Ruby Tuesday,” and “It’s All Over Now”

About as expected. I wouldn't be surprised if the Stones got 1 vote for 33 different songs, 6 for Gimme Shelter, and like, that's it. I like all 3 of these. None of would even sniff my top 25 Stones tunes, and that's not a dig.

Love “The Ghost In You”.

Love “Here’s Where the Story Ends”- don’t laugh but I honestly thought for some time that was by Sixpence None the Richer!

About as expected. I wouldn't be surprised if the Stones got 1 vote for 33 different songs, 6 for Gimme Shelter, and like, that's it. I like all 3 of these. None of would even sniff my top 25 Stones tunes, and that's not a dig.

I think you'll be surprised.

It's odd - first look and this seems like one of the weaker rounds we've had.

Funny as I was looking at it thinking the opposite!

Love “The Ghost In You”.

Love “Here’s Where the Story Ends”- don’t laugh but I honestly thought for some time that was by Sixpence None the Richer!

:lmao: I had to laugh anyway. Love that song, too.

Part of it is my preference - some of the well-known acts today aren't my favorites and then some of the selections from them aren't my favorites either. There's a decent amount of songs unknown to me so I may change my mind but at first blush it seems weaker.

My selection today is yet another Scottish band and yet again chosen for time and place in addition to the song itself. For nearly eight years, I lived around the corner from the Chicago club The Double Door.* Double Door and Lounge Ax (RIP) were the two most iconic smaller-sized Chicago music venues in the 1990s (and for Double Door, into the 2000s). Both were featured in the movie High Fidelity, though Lounge Ax was in a different neighborhood while Double Door is in the Wicker Park neighborhood where the film was set. And both were known not only for having the best of local music but bringing in some very high-profile national and international acts (more about that in the Wiki links above). The Rolling Stones showed up and played the Double Door unannounced one night after they’d done their United Center show! Sadly I wasn't there that night.

In early 2000, a bunch of us (locals musicians and one lawyer!) agreed to go see a band at the Double Door due solely to our friend Thomas being so excited about them. Granted, Thomas got excited about every band (he was a sometimes band manager, sometimes record producer, and all times bon vivant), and there was also a better-than-average chance he was most excited about them because he found one or more of the members cute (which turned out to be the case), but Thomas’s pure joy in music was always contagious, and we followed where he led us and never regretted it. The band, Travis, was just starting to get a little buzz about their second album, but frankly I knew nothing about them yet. WHAT A ****ING SHOW. This wasn’t a big loud rock show where you come out saying they shredded it. But their talent was incredible and somehow they oozed so much charm and evidenced intelligence and showmanship that you just knew that this was a band on a precipice of being huge.

They did start to get buzz from this album (fronted for Oasis on their national tour) and murmurs that they’d be the Next Big Thing, but somehow it never happened for them. It should have. They had superhuman talent and, when you talked to them, seemed like capital R “Rock Stars” in the best of ways. Anyway, this is the song I remember most from that show, and it brought the whole ****ing house down.

I’m happy to see that @scorchy selected them today, too! Both OH and I got doubled-up today (sexy!) on new artists to the countdown.

Hey, I just noticed on the Wiki page that the very first artist to play at the Double Door was yesterday's selection, Lloyd Cole!

*Yes, I lived in the same house for that entire time! Actually I also lived in an apartment across the street from the Double Door in 1996, when the Wicker Park neighborhood was skeeeeeeetchy.

Users who are viewing this thread