What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Shuke's best song by this particular artist picks:
Dr. Octopus: War Pigs/Luke's Wall - Black Sabbath
rockaction: Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand
falguy: Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

Other favorites (This space reserved for all Traffic, Yes, Radiohead, Zeppelin tunes, among others):
Yankee23Fan: Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
Hawks64: Roundabout – Yes
Mrs. Eephus: The Changingman - Paul Weller
ditkaburgers: Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
cosjobs: She's Not There - The Zombies

New to me favorites:
worrierking: Boom, Like That - Mark Knopfler
MAC_32: Knights Of Cydonia - Muse (HOLY CRAP THIS VIDEO!!)

New to me, not going to say it's a favorite, but it's different, and interesting.
timschochet: Never Never - The Assembly

Shuke's best song by this particular artist picks:
Dr. Octopus: War Pigs/Luke's Wall - Black Sabbath
rockaction: Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand
falguy: Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

Other favorites (This space reserved for all Traffic, Yes, Radiohead, Zeppelin tunes, among others):
Yankee23Fan: Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
Hawks64: Roundabout – Yes
Mrs. Eephus: The Changingman - Paul Weller
ditkaburgers: Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
cosjobs: She's Not There - The Zombies

New to me favorites:
worrierking: Boom, Like That - Mark Knopfler
MAC_32: Knights Of Cydonia - Muse (HOLY CRAP THIS VIDEO!!)

New to me, not going to say it's a favorite, but it's different, and interesting.
timschochet: Never Never - The Assembly
Lol, yeah that Knights of Cydonia video is ****ing ridiculous.

Ok, who's the jerk that's probably going to make me watch freakin' St. Elmo's Fire after the edibles kick in tonight?
Speaking of bad movies that are oddly entertaining.

Fixed.
DrIan has watched a squillion more movies than I have and has VERY strong opinions about them, which he reveals on Facebook periodically. He would definitely hold his own in the movie-geek threads if desired.
Only allowed if he loves PTA. We have enough haters in there as it is. ;)

Sounds like he'd fit right in with the rest of us in there who have very strong opinions about movies.
PTA, as in Paul Thomas Anderson? Or something else I'm missing?

Hippling back to food. Best thing about using a Mexican mow and blow crew for the week isn't the great price. It's this one guy's wife sending home made grub for all four of them. Me, the boss, is offerred leftovers. Yesterday, I declined. Today I just couldn't. Scarfed the last two chile rellanos that were about the best I can remember and and cleaned the last of some amazing cheese enchiladas from the pan. I'm understanding siesta time, atm.

What's the right play here. Give this amigo $20 for his wife or just accept the kindness?

I’m the queen of over-tipping but in this instance would accept the kindness. Would probably offer something non-cash back the next day. Flowers to give his wife or something.

I went with Hawks and offerred the 20. He said no but not as expected. The others pay $3 a day for lunch, but said I can eat for free. She always makes too much. So, not to be outdone by the queen of over-tipping, I gave him 40 and told him it was for all of us for the next three meals. He tried to decline, but I insisted. Can't wait for tomorrow's lunch.
We give an envelope with cash as a Christmas bonus. Next December, you might want to inquire about tamales.

We dropped the dog off with ditkaburgers tonight and headed out to hear some music. Three bands (DAZY, Alien Boy and Seablite) in a small club. It was crazy loud; I could feel the noise washing over my body.

I'll definitely feel it tomorrow as my handstamp fades but tonight was life affirming. There's still nothing quite like the lights, the sound, the rhythm, the noise. I love rock 'n roll and am truly blessed to have a partner who'll go out on a school night and dodge the mosh pit after all these years.

"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand

I didn't expect this many people to take this song, so I figured all the surprise and adulation would come my way (I keed, I keed). As it is, no luck. But though Franz Ferdinand may have been influenced by post-punk and other more funk-based groups that came before them (while benefitting from a contemporary consciousness that decided to dip dance into punk), their sound is really singular in its poppiness. To wit -- the critic for the Hartford Courant that reviewed them back in 2004/5 seemed utterly stunned that the band was playing to a younger, female audience. Fourteen-sixteen years old, to be exact. No more Britneys watching Britneys or Sadies checking Xtinas. No, their mind was on the natty boys-to-men from Glasgow.

But such is music. Word of mouth, talent, and, maybe most importantly -- exposure -- buoyed Franz. They occupied a particular place in popular consciousness precisely because they were so effortless (and being on MTV and good-looking certainly didn't hurt them). But where both those that came before and their contemporaries struggled with the notion and execution of pop and popular consciousness, Franz seemed to breeze by with an effortless, total cool in both appearance and music. One critic said of Franz, "[their] devotion to songcraft is reflexive; it doesn't require active thought." And so it was for a time that rock and roll was danceable again, whether that came from punk energy and politics or bass lines and "clipped hi-hats," as noted yet another reviewer. Dance, they proclaimed, had made a comeback. But proclaiming dance to have made a comeback sort of misses the point -- dance is and was always making a comeback. It comes in different forms in different years. Sometimes, rarely these days, it comes in the form of rock and roll. That is where Franz cuts in.

Last edited:
To add to the "My Sweet Lord" thing. I also wouldn't have known what that title referred to until I was about thirty-three or so and finally saw it in print in a copyright course I took back in law school. I believe Harrison was being sued by The Chiffons for ripping off "He's So Fine." That's the first time I'd put the song together with the title. I think I might have even said something in class about it. That I couldn't believe this whole time the lyrics were "Hare Krishna" and that he'd better watch out at the airport or something like that. (I was thinking of the movie Airplane! and the role the TSA was playing in our lives back then. It was like 2007 or something. It was not a comment about Islam, which I think most people thought it was. I was commenting on the movie and the TSA, not confusing Hare Krishnas with Islamists.)

I couldn't believe that anybody would be down with the Krishnas that wasn't a complete and utter loon. So I wrote him and the song off in my head all over again. Fifteen years later, I now know the song, story, and Harrison a little better.

eta* The Wiki on this song is looooooong, only I'm now understanding krista's dislike of Sugar Pie Honey Bunch and Phil Spector. I think. I never read krista's posts.

Last edited:
To add to the "My Sweet Lord" thing. I also wouldn't have known what that title referred to until I was about thirty-three or so and finally saw it in print in a copyright course I took back in law school. I believe Harrison was being sued by The Chiffons for ripping off "He's So Fine." That's the first time I'd put the song together with the title. I think I might have even said something in class about it. That I couldn't believe this whole time the lyrics were "Hare Krishna" and that he'd better watch out at the airport or something like that. (I was thinking of the movie Airplane! and the role the TSA was playing in our lives back then. It was like 2007 or something. It was not a comment about Islam, which I think most people thought it was. I was commenting on the movie and the TSA, not confusing Hare Krishnas with Islamists.)

I couldn't believe that anybody would be down with the Krishnas that wasn't a complete and utter loon. So I wrote him and the song off in my head all over again. Fifteen years later, I now know the song, story, and Harrison a little better.
This scene no doubt

Ok, who's the jerk that's probably going to make me watch freakin' St. Elmo's Fire after the edibles kick in tonight?
Speaking of bad movies that are oddly entertaining.

Fixed.
DrIan has watched a squillion more movies than I have and has VERY strong opinions about them, which he reveals on Facebook periodically. He would definitely hold his own in the movie-geek threads if desired.
Only allowed if he loves PTA. We have enough haters in there as it is. ;)

Sounds like he'd fit right in with the rest of us in there who have very strong opinions about movies.
PTA, as in Paul Thomas Anderson? Or something else I'm missing?
Correct. Or movies featuring a kick *** Parent Teacher Association.

Five (5!) votes for songs that were selected as potential Ace Award winners, with two of the artists also being doubled up. Plot twist: all of these songs have already been eliminated from contention.

I’m totally going to jinx myself but the closer we get to the top 20 the better I feel about my Ace Award pick - no way you weirdos pick a different song from the artist I selected in the top 20.

This scene no doubt

Yeah, I might be thinking of Airplane II. Joe Isuzu (remember him?) is the Krishna in the Airplane! movies, I believe.

They run together for me, so I might be thinking of just good old Airplane!

No, I just looked. I'm thinking of the right Airplane.

"Betty, don't start that **** again with me."

"You're just mad because I didn't have that abortion!"

Last edited:
I need a way to ONLY go to my queue for streaming options at night. Way too often I start dicking around being indecisive and end up on some horrible crap I've watched before. Tonight I actually had the thought "oooh ... Teen Wolf Too?" :oldunsure:
PUT. THE. BOWL. DOWN.
Fine. I landed on something more high falutin.

Beavis and Butthead do the Universe
Roller coaster!

Of love

(Say what)

Ah-woo-ooh-ooh
That's Do America...

When I made my list, I started by picking bands/artists that I really love and then chose 1 song from each. I left a few spots for one off songs I love from artists that maybe I'm not deep in the bag for but my list was mostly about building songs from particular artists.

Anyone else do this?

In doing so, I also have a multiverse playlist which features mostly the same artists but different songs.

Last edited:
When I made my list, I started by picking bands/artists that I really love and then chose 1 song from each. I left a few spots for one off songs I love from artists that maybe I'm deep in the bag for but my list was mostly about building songs from particular artists.

Anyone else do this?

In doing so, I also have a multiverse playlist which features mostly the same artists but different songs.
I kind of took an opposite approach of going bottom-up with songs I liked irrespective of the artist. Which is why I probably wound up with some songs whose artists I don't entirely love, and omitting certain artists I do love but could not find one particular song to rise above.

When I made my list, I started by picking bands/artists that I really love and then chose 1 song from each. I left a few spots for one off songs I love from artists that maybe I'm deep in the bag for but my list was mostly about building songs from particular artists.

Anyone else do this?

I kind of took an opposite approach of going bottom-up with songs I liked irrespective of the artist. Which is why I probably wound up with some songs whose artists I don't entirely love, and omitting certain artists I do love but could not find one particular song to rise above.
That's how I made my list for the U.S. version - song first.

Anyone else do this?

I started by listing 40-50 artists then I used some online lists to make sure I didn't miss anything - then selected either what I consider to be the best song from that artist or the one that I have a personal attachment to. Then ranked them. I did throw in a couple of curveballs as I thought of meaningful songs in my life.

Anyone else do this?

I did a hybrid, but for the most part, yes. I think The Verve sneaking in there was at least one nod to a band that wasn't necessarily a favorite of mine, but it's a Stones song anyway, so...

I just checked. I have about four nods to songs from bands that I can't say I'm familiar with their total oeuvre.

Anyone else do this?

I did a hybrid, but for the most part, yes. I think The Verve sneaking in there was at least one nod to a band that wasn't necessarily a favorite of mine, but it's a Stones song anyway, so...

I just checked. I have about four nods to songs from bands that I can't say I'm familiar with their total oeuvre.
I think I have 7 or 8 songs that are artists I like but were targeted more for the song in particular than artist.

I started by listing 40-50 artists then I used some online lists to make sure I didn't miss anything - then selected either what I consider to be the best song from that artist or the one that I have a personal attachment to. Then ranked them. I did throw in a couple of curveballs as I thought of meaningful songs in my life.
I wish I had put a little more time into researching my list, it was like 75% gut reactions. I spent a lot of time researching, retooling and rearranging my American list. Then a week later, I was already feeling like I wanted to make another 10 revisions. So for this list I felt like it was an impossible task anyway so why not just go with the original draft.

Last edited:
Anyone else do this?

I think I have 7 or 8 songs that are artists I like but were targeted more for the song in particular than artist.

I think the way people approached it has been one of the factors in how fantastic these two threads have been (thanks Krista!) - we all are discovering new music or being reintroduced to songs we knew but maybe forgot about - all while getting to reminisce about our own favorites over the years.

I wish I had put a little more time into researching my list, it was like 75% gut reactions. I spent a lot of time researching, retooling and rearranging my American list. Then a week later, I was already feeling I like I wanted to make another 10 revisions. So for this list I felt like it was an impossible task anyway so why not just go with the original draft.

I'm not a music person generally and have a horrible memory. I also listen to a lot of the same stuff over the years. I spent time but not a ton of time. And there's been both songs I know but didn't recognize the band name but also ones I just never thought of. I spent a ton of time but to be honest, once I made my list of 60-70 I started listening to songs from them :lmao: For that reason I think I will end up very high on the "chalk list" again this time.

Anyone else do this?

I started by going through artists in my iTunes library and identifying those who qualified — mix of albums/singles that I’ve added to my library over the years. Some were already just a song or two that I really enjoy; some artists that I may own close to their entire collection of that I needed to pick one song from. Cut some that I don’t really listen to anymore.

And did some research to see if there were any major artists left out that I do enjoy, but I for some reason never added to library.

I think it led to some stuff whiffed on that just had not had in my library for whatever reason. But not sweating it and happy for some reminders of songs that I should add to it, as well as some new to me songs as well.

Anyone else do this?

...ish. It's the first pot I developed. The second was obvious songs. And the third was missing categories. Not gonna give anything away here, but it's how Rancid ended up in my US list. I realized when sweeping through I had no punk rock, so they were the obvious fix.

Anyone else do this?

...ish. It's the first pot I developed. The second was obvious songs. And the third was missing categories. Not gonna give anything away here, but it's how Rancid ended up in my US list. I realized when sweeping through I had no punk rock, so they were the obvious fix.
For the US list I was a bit conscious of representing different styles of music. So much of the British stuff is similar in style/genre that is didn’t really pay attention to that this time.

Anyone else do this?

Music has always been a big thing for me, and my ears would always perk up when I heard something new that I liked. I was more adventurous than most of my friends in music taste but was still somewhat limited by the technology at the time and the old-fashioned high-school "that's not cool" factor. The tech was a big thing - you had the radio, which was pretty limiting in the 70's and 80's, and then your records and tapes. Even finding songs was hard - I remember really liking Sweet's Love is Like Oxygen (my round 29 pick), but it took me six months and a trip to a NYC record store to even figure out what album it was on (Level Headed, only available by special order in my area). The amount of music we now have on demand still amazes me.

Listening gear is big to me. I always had decent gear - a good car stereo as a kid, a big box of tapes, etc. But I really went heavy into gear about a decade ago - audio gear / music listening has become a real hobby. I have two nice systems, a restored vintage Marantz setup from the 70's, and a more modern one (still 2-channel) in my office/mancave. Really good gear definitely changes things - instrument separation, hearing nuances you never knew were there - it's something else. I was at an audio show a few years ago and this guy said to me "this is the best gift you can give yourself" - I agree. I've spent more on my gear than some cars I've owned, and it's worth every penny. But we all have our hobbies - a year of greens fees can get you a pretty nice integrated amp or some sweet speakers (or maybe both).

For these drafts, I generally started at the top with slam-dunk all time favorites. That took me to about 10-15. Then it was a big mix of songs throughout the years that I've loved. My lists from 15 on were very fluid and could change at the drop of a hat. Lots of missed stuff that could easily be there. For the US one I did one per artist, but that didn't quite feel right to me, so I changed it up here - I have 3 or 4 artists that have 2 songs, and one has 3.

I also did these in a "playlist I want to hear now" sense. There are some big bands, especially in this one, that I just am overly tired of, despite loving their stuff throughout my life. So I made some surprising-to-me cuts - if I felt like skipping a song in my countdown playlist, off it went. I don't know how authentic that makes it to my "favorites" (there's still tons of chalk classics there), but I do like listening to it.

Anyone else do this?

For the US list I was a bit conscious of representing different styles of music. So much of the British stuff is similar in style/genre that is didn’t really pay attention to that this time.
Big beat's been my one british isles style I've sought out to this point. There's more to come, but The Prodigy developed from pot #3. The choice was obvious once the thought came to mind, but I needed to seek out big beat as I don't listen to it much anymore

Five (5!) votes for songs that were selected as potential Ace Award winners, with two of the artists also being doubled up. Plot twist: all of these songs have already been eliminated from contention.

I’m totally going to jinx myself but the closer we get to the top 20 the better I feel about my Ace Award pick - no way you weirdos pick a different song from the artist I selected in the top 20.
I'm feeling confident I aced it, me and one other person.

Anyone else do this?

Music has always been a big thing for me, and my ears would always perk up when I heard something new that I liked. I was more adventurous than most of my friends in music taste but was still somewhat limited by the technology at the time and the old-fashioned high-school "that's not cool" factor. The tech was a big thing - you had the radio, which was pretty limiting in the 70's and 80's, and then your records and tapes. Even finding songs was hard - I remember really liking Sweet's Love is Like Oxygen (my round 29 pick), but it took me six months and a trip to a NYC record store to even figure out what album it was on (Level Headed, only available by special order in my area). The amount of music we now have on demand still amazes me.
I had the same problem back in the day. We watched Go Ask Alice in health class, back around 1981, and I was blown away by a Traffic song. I think it took two or three years to figure out which song it was.

I don't see the Go Ask Alice soundtrack listed in my YouTube music, but I think I'm gonna build a playlist of the tunes. I spy some great songs.

Last edited:

Anyone else do this?

I had the same problem back in the day. We watched Go Ask Alice in health class, back around 1981, and I was blown away by a Traffic song. I think it took two or three years to figure out which song it was.

I don't see the Go Ask Alice soundtrack listed in my YouTube music, but I think I'm gonna build a playlist of the tunes. I spy some great songs.

Yup, this exactly. I'd hear a song in a movie and want to stay for the credits to see if I could find it (usually failed). It was very frustrating.

Note: that is a good soundtrack!

That I couldn't believe this whole time the lyrics were "Hare Krishna" and that he'd better watch out at the airport or something like that. (I was thinking of the movie Airplane! and the role the TSA was playing in our lives back then. It was like 2007 or something. It was not a comment about Islam, which I think most people thought it was. I was commenting on the movie and the TSA, not confusing Hare Krishnas with Islamists.)

I couldn't believe that anybody would be down with the Krishnas that wasn't a complete and utter loon. So I wrote him and the song off in my head all over again.
Totally feeling the Airplane! reference. The first time I encountered Hare Krishnas, I was sitting by the window in my English 101 class at UF and was distracted by a group of a dozen-or-so people in robes walking by with bongos and chanting the Hare Krishna song. My brain went straight to Joe Isuzu.

Turns out the Krishnas served lunch every day on the Plaza of the Americas on UF's campus. They used a pay-what-you-can-afford model that was not just great for poor college students but undoubtedly a godsend to Gainesville's homeless population. I may never have understood their whole deal, but the juxtaposition of their kindness against the attitudes of a lot of the d-bag frat boys who walked by on the way to the business quad (the Plaza was where all of us weirdos hung out between classes) was striking - even moreso when the travelling preachers would show up and scream from their soapbox that the Krishnas were doomed to hell. Anyone else have Brother Jed and his flock preach at their school for a week or two every semester?

Last edited:

Anyone else do this?

Looking over my list I was surprised to find around half of it made up of artists that are basically one hit wonders for me.

Listening gear is big to me. I always had decent gear - a good car stereo as a kid, a big box of tapes, etc. But I really went heavy into gear about a decade ago - audio gear / music listening has become a real hobby. I have two nice systems, a restored vintage Marantz setup from the 70's, and a more modern one (still 2-channel) in my office/mancave. Really good gear definitely changes things - instrument separation, hearing nuances you never knew were there - it's something else. I was at an audio show a few years ago and this guy said to me "this is the best gift you can give yourself" - I agree. I've spent more on my gear than some cars I've owned, and it's worth every penny. But we all have our hobbies - a year of greens fees can get you a pretty nice integrated amp or some sweet speakers (or maybe both).

For these drafts, I generally started at the top with slam-dunk all time favorites. That took me to about 10-15. Then it was a big mix of songs throughout the years that I've loved. My lists from 15 on were very fluid and could change at the drop of a hat. Lots of missed stuff that could easily be there. For the US one I did one per artist, but that didn't quite feel right to me, so I changed it up here - I have 3 or 4 artists that have 2 songs, and one has 3.

I also did these in a "playlist I want to hear now" sense. There are some big bands, especially in this one, that I just am overly tired of, despite loving their stuff throughout my life. So I made some surprising-to-me cuts - if I felt like skipping a song in my countdown playlist, off it went. I don't know how authentic that makes it to my "favorites" (there's still tons of chalk classics there), but I do like listening to it.
Cool story, would love to see the set-up you have. My dad was always really into music equipment- especially vintage stuff. Old Marshall amps, a few mics from the BBC, has a mixing board that came from Germany I think. He has played guitar, sang and wrote music his whole life. He was always in bands. I grew up with a full recording studio in my basement. Music was everywhere: old music, new music, blues, classical, jazz and then there was my mom always in the kitchen singing with the hits on the radio. I wish I had musical talent since I was born into a golden opportunity to take advantage of it but I always only enjoyed listening and curating, never actually playing. It has been fun this last 2 years helping my dad put out a few albums on Spotify. I think being an A&R guy would have been a really cool job and I wish I had paid more attention to the producing side. I didn't fully realize that was every bit as important as the actually song writing and instrument playing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread