What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Including last 5 out, 7 of my top 20 have been picked.
Not on anyone else's list? I could see two easily, and push to around five with reasonable doubt. It's easy to overestimate, so I might put the O/U at 3.5 and not be surprised if it's the under. We shall see.

I think 6 of my top 20 are already picked. Looking at them now, I expect at least 8 of my remaining top 20 are not on anyone else's list.

Four of your top 20 are not on anyone else's list.

Now that I've spoiled that for Just Win Baby :lol: , does anyone want to know the answers to these? I don't think they're spoilers at all since you don't know which are and which aren't, and when they might come up, but I'm happy to look at them and give info if anyone would like it.
I'm curious how many of my top 10 or 20 are KP only picks.

Songs On My Original List of 75 that Missed the Cut

DARE – Gorillaz (Mrs. Eephus) - Pretty much anything associated with Shaun Ryder is aces in my book, except I guess for smoking crack.

Songs Not On That List But I Still Love Them

Kill Your Television - Ned's Atomic Dustbin (Pip’s Invitation) - not my favorite Ned's track, but in the running.

Nowhere Man - The Beatles (DrIanMalcolm)

Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks (Dr. Octopus)

Dreams - The Cranberries (Andy Dufresne)

Let Down – Radiohead (rockaction)

Uncertain Smile - The The (Mister CIA)

I Know It's Over - The Smiths (Ilov80s)

Creep – Radiohead (Chaz McNulty)

Baba O'Riley - The Who (AAA Batteries)

Supermassive Black Hole – Muse (ditkaburgers)

New to Me Songs That I Liked A Bunch

Bus Stop – The Hollies (simsarge)

Tony Adams - Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros (Eephus) - I'm pretty unfamiliar with Joe's Strummer's solo stuff. I should remedy that.

Previously Lauded

She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult (simey)

Bitter Sweet Symphony – The Verve (Just Win Baby)

Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield (Don Quixote)

Rid Of Me - PJ Harvey (The Dreaded Marco)

scorchy:

Daddy's Gone – Glasvegas
In late 2007, NME named Daddy's Gone as a track of the month, describing Glasvegas as equal parts Jesus and Mary Chain, the Velvet Underground, and Elvis. So basically catnip for my ears. I had never illegally downloaded music before, but I couldn't find any of their songs from a legit source, so I installed Limewire and hoped for the best. It was love at first listen. Eventually, I gave in and DLed the entire album, and I still think it's legit great. I'm not the only one - Robert Christgau called Glasvegas' music "Too good to be true."

I've only gotten to see them once - on their first US tour at a crappy college bar in West Chester, PA. @plinko even made the trip up for it and at least pretended to be impressed.

I think 6 of my top 20 are already picked. Looking at them now, I expect at least 8 of my remaining top 20 are not on anyone else's list.

Now that I've spoiled that for Just Win Baby :lol: , does anyone want to know the answers to these? I don't think they're spoilers at all since you don't know which are and which aren't, and when they might come up, but I'm happy to look at them and give info if anyone would like it.
Eight of top 20, mostly in the lower reaches.

Seven unfamiliar artist/title combos among the eleven-point selections today.

Pip’s Invitation: Kill Your Television - Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Nice pull from an artist I'd long forgotten existed. Nice upbeat song with some mighty fine drumming.

MAC_32: Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons
Recognized this one immediately. It got a lot of airplay in spite of the F-bomb. The best part for me was the wordless harmonies leading into the last chorus.

Hawks64: Rough An’ Ready – Whitesnake
I think this is the third Whitesnake song I've listened to lately which tops my 2022 total. Of the three, I liked the first one the most by far. This one was kind of a standard boogie number.

Manster: All And Everyone - PJ Harvey
I remembered this one from the album. She shows a lot of range from the raw punk on Rid of Me to channeling Lord Tennyson on this historical epic.

scorchy: Daddy's Gone – Glasvegas
I remembered these guys as a big UK hype band from the aughts. Their sound is kind of reminiscent of the Noisepop of fellow Scotsmen JAMC but with more emphasis on the Pop and less on the noise. Lovely tune, awful band name.

Mt. Man: Only Time Will Tell – Asia
I remembered the song about a minute into it. Their albums are probably better because there's a lot of talent in the band but it's kind of a shame what Prog superstars had to do to stay relevent in the 80s.

zamboni: Epitaph - King Crimson
Now _this_ is Prog. I remember it as a side closer on Crimson King but didn't recognize it by title. One of the great examples of the familiar yet strange tones of the Mellotron. So cool I listened to it twice.

Glad to see Culture Club, The Coral, Sir Elton (finally), Talk Talk, The The (with the greatest three minutes of Jools Holland's long career) and Robert Plant

Long list cuts: Dusty, Cult, Verve

Big guns blazin': Satisfaction, Baba O'Riley

I liked KP's Muse song better than my daughter's.

Eight of top 20, mostly in the lower reaches.
By this you mean closer to #20 than #1, right?

NM, I think that is 100% what you meant.

My best guesses for KP-only picks are: #s 19, 18, 17, 14, 11, 8. Then I would guess 2 of: 1, 3, and 6.

Mt. Man: Only Time Will Tell – Asia
I remembered the song about a minute into it. Their albums are probably better because there's a lot of talent in the band but it's kind of a shame what Prog superstars had to do to stay relevent in the 80s.
Classic case of a band being considerably less than the sum of the parts. This is a good tune though, albeit with a goofy video that includes a gymnast leaping back and forth over a bunch of Zenith TVs.

Last edited:
Secretly hoping there's a big reveal that The Kinks win this contest.

I know, I know, go read post 3.
I put down Waterloo Sunset as highest scoring song in the contest, but not looking good for that so far. At least it showed up today and has at least one vote.
I'll eat a booger if Waterloo Sunset does not get at least three more votes.

simey: She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult 😍
Just Win Baby: Bitter Sweet Symphony – The Verve 😍😍😍
Don Quixote: Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield 😍
timschochet: In The Light - Led Zeppelin 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Yankee23Fan: Tiny Dancer – Elton John :hifive:
jwb: Heart Of The Sunrise – Yes 😍😍😍
Dr. Octopus: Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
KarmaPolice: Stockholm Syndrome - Muse
Sullie: It's My Life - Talk Talk 😍
Andy Dufresne: Dreams - The Cranberries 😍
Mister CIA: Uncertain Smile - The The
Westerberg: Into The Mystic - Van Morrison 😍😍😍
rockaction: Let Down – Radiohead
falguy: Big Log - Robert Plant 😍
Doug B: Save A Prayer - Duran Duran 😍
Chaz McNulty: Creep – Radiohead
krista4: Tempted – Squeeze 😍

Holy crap what a lineup today! Some pretty big hitters for me. Wow Tim, didn't know you had it in you!

It's pretty funny that the following Tweet went viral on the same day as The The was selected.

APStylebook
@APStylebook
·
9h

We recommend avoiding general and often dehumanizing “the” labels such as the poor, the mentally ill, the French, the disabled, the college-educated. Instead, use wording such as people with mental illnesses. And use these descriptions only when clearly relevant.

Holy crap what a lineup today! Some pretty big hitters for me. Wow Tim, didn't know you had it in you!
Balanced out “Come Sail Away” at the top spot of his 1977 countdown (sorry, couldn’t resist).
My eyes, my eyes!

Full disclosure, I have hard-avoided that thread since I saw the thread title update.

I was surprised to see Styx come up in the American countdown because I always assumed they were from Hell.

Balanced out “Come Sail Away” at the top spot of his 1977 countdown (sorry, couldn’t resist).
My eyes, my eyes!

Full disclosure, I have hard-avoided that thread since I saw the thread title update.
I actually like the earlier output of those Midwestern cherubs, but just can’t get behind that placement.

In addition to the triple-up described above, another from an artist that will continue a surprisingly (to me) strong run. Muse

A lot of Muse fans out there. They seem to be doing a lot better than I expected.

:hifive:
I'm not surprised to see a lot of Muse towards the bottom of the list. They're an easy band to listen to with several enjoyable songs. I'll be very surprised if we see them also towards the top of a bunch of lists. Their best don't elicit a 'wow.'

It's pretty funny that the following Tweet went viral on the same day as The The was selected.

APStylebook
@APStylebook
·
9h

We recommend avoiding general and often dehumanizing “the” labels such as the poor, the mentally ill, the French, the disabled, the college-educated. Instead, use wording such as people with mental illnesses. And use these descriptions only when clearly relevant.
People with French?

Not tough to get around the others, but the French one...

Our style guide at work has workarounds for certain terms that might be dehumanizing, so I wouldn't be surprised if these got added to the list.

APStylebook
@APStylebook
·
9h

Do we have to update our lists to krista? I did take The Kinks today. I have a few more The bands coming up.

I put down Waterloo Sunset as highest scoring song in the contest, but not looking good for that so far. At least it showed up today and has at least one vote.

They just have so many good songs - you will probably not have to eat that booger (unless you just want to) but it wouldn’t surprise me given their catalog. And I’m hoping they are 4th.

They just have so many good songs - you will probably not have to eat that booger (unless you just want to) but it wouldn’t surprise me given their catalog. And I’m hoping they are 4th.
Projection?

Users who are viewing this thread